ImageImageImage

Trade Discussion 21/22

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

ejs78
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,854
And1: 384
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2041 » by ejs78 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:55 am

LAL1947 wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:With Brunson and Frank's emergence, I think our backcourt is okay. To me, the bigger needs is as follows:

1. 2nd or 3rd option star - understand this may be too difficult to get right now but it's still a need

2. Competent center, preferably one that can shoot and defend particularly on switches. Theis would be a good add for example with the TPE.

3. A SF/PF hybrid. Right now, the only guy we have in this mold is DFS (he's quite small for PF anyway) and we'd be screwed if he was somehow out vs some of the bigger forwards out there like Lebron, Durant. Kawhi, etc. Nance, Thad, Marcus Morris, T. Prince, etc. are gettable names for cheap that could help.

Not sexy names but trying to be realistic.

What's the value of Devin Vassell? Wondering if he is someone the Mavs could target for the SG position. He may not ever develop into a 2nd option but might become a regular 15-20 PPG scorer who also plays good defense.

Luka............. Brunson
Vassell.......... THJ
Bullock.......... DFS
Isaac............. Kleber
Porzingis....... WCS

If the Mavs could also get Jonathan Isaac off the Magic, that would help with the PF/C dilemma in your points 2 & 3... since he can help protect the rim and perimeter, both. A SF/PF in a less athletic mold is Deni Avdija, he plays good defense.

Does this team have a realistic shot of contending against Nets, Bucks, Suns, Nuggets, etc?
Don't know why SA would move off Vassell so soon. He might be their 2nd best player by years end.

Mavs should be looking at Young, Mcdermott, White, and Murray if any are available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Maverick41
Senior
Posts: 603
And1: 233
Joined: Dec 26, 2009
 

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2042 » by Maverick41 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:56 am

LAL1947 wrote:
What's the value of Devin Vassell? Wondering if he is someone the Mavs could target for the SG position. He may not ever develop into a 2nd option but might become a regular 15-20 PPG scorer who also plays good defense.

If the Mavs could also get Jonathan Isaac off the Magic, that would help with the PF/C dilemma in your points 2 & 3... since he can help protect the rim and perimeter, both. A SF/PF in a less athletic mold is Deni Avdija, he plays good defense.

Does this team have a realistic shot of contending against Nets, Bucks, Suns, Nuggets, etc?


I really like Vassell and think he would fit in so well here. Considering Spurs are in the rebuilding phase though, I doubt we have the pieces as he's one of their top prospects right now. If we're trading with the Spurs, I think realistic targets would be White, Dougie, Thad and L. Walker. All could help the team in some way and might be available cheap.

For Isaac, we likely don't have the pieces for him unless we were to start giving up 1sts. If we go towards trading 1sts, my preference is that it be for a star. Isaac could potentially be but his injury history is arguably worse then KPs and that's a humongous concern to mortgage more of the future for.

As for being a contender, no. We need AT LEAST one more piece or for KP to always play like he did vs the Spurs. Personally I'd just be happy with getting out of the 1st round for now. The 10 year drought of not making at least the 2nd round sucks as a long-time Mavs fan.
LAL1947
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,353
And1: 720
Joined: Dec 28, 2018

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2043 » by LAL1947 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:37 am

ejs78 wrote:Don't know why SA would move off Vassell so soon. He might be their 2nd best player by years end.

Mavs should be looking at Young, Mcdermott, White, and Murray if any are available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app


Maverick41 wrote:I really like Vassell and think he would fit in so well here. Considering Spurs are in the rebuilding phase though, I doubt we have the pieces as he's one of their top prospects right now. If we're trading with the Spurs, I think realistic targets would be White, Dougie, Thad and L. Walker. All could help the team in some way and might be available cheap.

For Isaac, we likely don't have the pieces for him unless we were to start giving up 1sts. If we go towards trading 1sts, my preference is that it be for a star. Isaac could potentially be but his injury history is arguably worse then KPs and that's a humongous concern to mortgage more of the future for.

That's true, it's probably unrealistic to expect that the Spurs will trade a young, cost-controlled player who is doing well so soon... i.e., unless the Mavs make it worth their while by over-paying.

Btw, there's a PF in next year's draft who looks pretty good, Jabari Smith Jr... he is 6'10", moves very well, and seems a good 2-way player. Some early mock drafts have him going #4-8. It'd be nice if the Mavs could figure out how to trade up and grab him, if he continues to do well, because his game at the 4 seems an excellent complement to Porzingis at the 5.

41Dirk41
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2044 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:57 pm

ejs78 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:With Brunson and Frank's emergence, I think our backcourt is okay. To me, the bigger needs is as follows:

1. 2nd or 3rd option star - understand this may be too difficult to get right now but it's still a need

2. Competent center, preferably one that can shoot and defend particularly on switches. Theis would be a good add for example with the TPE.

3. A SF/PF hybrid. Right now, the only guy we have in this mold is DFS (he's quite small for PF anyway) and we'd be screwed if he was somehow out vs some of the bigger forwards out there like Lebron, Durant. Kawhi, etc. Nance, Thad, Marcus Morris, T. Prince, etc. are gettable names for cheap that could help.

Not sexy names but trying to be realistic.

What's the value of Devin Vassell? Wondering if he is someone the Mavs could target for the SG position. He may not ever develop into a 2nd option but might become a regular 15-20 PPG scorer who also plays good defense.

Luka............. Brunson
Vassell.......... THJ
Bullock.......... DFS
Isaac............. Kleber
Porzingis....... WCS

If the Mavs could also get Jonathan Isaac off the Magic, that would help with the PF/C dilemma in your points 2 & 3... since he can help protect the rim and perimeter, both. A SF/PF in a less athletic mold is Deni Avdija, he plays good defense.

Does this team have a realistic shot of contending against Nets, Bucks, Suns, Nuggets, etc?
Don't know why SA would move off Vassell so soon. He might be their 2nd best player by years end.

Mavs should be looking at Young, Mcdermott, White, and Murray if any are available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app


Yes Murray is a hell of a player, i would like to have him or FVV in the backcourt paired with Luka.
I don't know if a package of Green+1RP+Powell/DFS and other filler is good for 1 of them. I would do a try.
Then Brunson for a big SF/PF who could play with KP.

Maybe i'm dreaming too much :lol:
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 8,819
And1: 2,177
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2045 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,990
And1: 895
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2046 » by arkuo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:17 pm

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21



I could see that happening. I mean, there are two things most players come down to. It's either you get the bag or you get a shot at winning a ring. Giannis caught lightning in a bottle and had himself both the supermax and a ring this early in his career because KD's foot was an inch too big. I can see him trying to switch teams to try to win consecutive rings to cement his legacy. I.e. "Going the Lebron route".
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,947
And1: 570
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2047 » by Darren » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:46 pm

Hardaway + Green? + Moses? for Hield + Ramsey?. The Mavs gets a more natural shooter with some play-making skills. Buddy can hit clutch shots, especially against the Mavs. Possibly, this trades also open up one roster spot to sign Eugene to active roster. The King gets young player for position without much depth in exchange for a player who won't receive much playing time anyway. Ramsey has the potential to be Eric Gordon / Reggie Jackson type of spark. Everything could happen to Brunson or Burke for coming offseason. Having a young player on good contract at that position doesn't hurt. I think it is beneficial to both side.

C - KP / Boban / Powell / WCS
PF - Kleber / Eugene
SF - DFS / Bullock
SG - Hield / Ntilikina / Brown
PG - Doncic / Brunson / Burke / Ramsey

After this trade, the Mavs could even up 5 good passers on court together off bench at the same time. If a Goran Dragic trade happens, the Mavs could unload Powell, WCS, Brown, Burke and so on. And grab another player for TPE.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,947
And1: 570
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2048 » by Darren » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 pm

LAL1947 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Don't know why SA would move off Vassell so soon. He might be their 2nd best player by years end.

Mavs should be looking at Young, Mcdermott, White, and Murray if any are available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app


Maverick41 wrote:I really like Vassell and think he would fit in so well here. Considering Spurs are in the rebuilding phase though, I doubt we have the pieces as he's one of their top prospects right now. If we're trading with the Spurs, I think realistic targets would be White, Dougie, Thad and L. Walker. All could help the team in some way and might be available cheap.

For Isaac, we likely don't have the pieces for him unless we were to start giving up 1sts. If we go towards trading 1sts, my preference is that it be for a star. Isaac could potentially be but his injury history is arguably worse then KPs and that's a humongous concern to mortgage more of the future for.

That's true, it's probably unrealistic to expect that the Spurs will trade a young, cost-controlled player who is doing well so soon... i.e., unless the Mavs make it worth their while by over-paying.

Btw, there's a PF in next year's draft who looks pretty good, Jabari Smith Jr... he is 6'10", moves very well, and seems a good 2-way player. Some early mock drafts have him going #4-8. It'd be nice if the Mavs could figure out how to trade up and grab him, if he continues to do well, because his game at the 4 seems an excellent complement to Porzingis at the 5.



This Jabari kid can play. The defensive activity at PF is a severe lack for the Mavs.
LAL1947
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,353
And1: 720
Joined: Dec 28, 2018

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2049 » by LAL1947 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:05 am

Darren wrote:This Jabari kid can play. The defensive activity at PF is a severe lack for the Mavs.

As soon as I saw him play, my first thought was the Mavs can use some of that defensive activity at PF too, lol. He's also got a nice shooting action and is good on offense. Seems to me like the perfect complement to Luka and Porzingis. Unfortunately, the mock drafts have him going top 3-10, likely top 5, so I'm not sure if there is a realistic chance of trading up to get him.
Mike lorenzo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,720
And1: 354
Joined: May 09, 2020
 

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2050 » by Mike lorenzo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:26 am

I wonder how Hield would fit into this team..with all the open looks we generate..a guy with more than 10 attempts per game, who hits 40% ... on the Kings .... (that's only beaten by Curry)... If somehow, we could turn THJ + into Hield
...
THJ / Green to NOP ..
Bullock / Temple to Kings ..
Sato (TPE) / Hield to Mavs..?
1+1=11
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,990
And1: 895
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2051 » by arkuo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:I wonder how Hield would fit into this team..with all the open looks we generate..a guy with more than 10 attempts per game, who hits 40% ... on the Kings .... (that's only beaten by Curry)... If somehow, we could turn THJ + into Hield
...
THJ / Green to NOP ..
Bullock / Temple to Kings ..
Sato (TPE) / Hield to Mavs..?



I think THJ is pretty much equal to Hield. So if there is anyone I think would interest me from Sacramento, I'd like to get Harrison Barnes back for Powell + DFS and maybe Josh Green. You'd pretty much get the same effect with Barnes as it is with Demar Derozan in Chicago. Demar does his own thing without affecting Zach Lavine's numbers. Same can be done without sacrificing looks for Luka and KP.
Teffer10
Head Coach
Posts: 6,172
And1: 505
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2052 » by Teffer10 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:41 pm

I still think our greatest need is at center/PF.
If we want to advance in the POs we'll need someone to at least provide some resistance to some of the bigs we'll most likely be facing (Davis, Jokic, Ayton, Rudy, etc...).
Powell, WCS and Boban are all very limited and none are worthy of more than 15 mins PT.
At minimum we need a banger (preferably with some attitude) 6'9+ who can provide 25+ mins of quality play.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,947
And1: 570
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2053 » by Darren » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:52 am

Powell, Bullock, M.Brown and 2nd via Sactown to TOR for Dragic, Bonga
Hardaway and Mavs 1st to SAC for Buddy and Sactown 2nd
Sign Eugene to active roster
Re-sign both DFS and Brunson
If a right candidate available for TPE, waive WCS as well.

C - KP / Boban / WCS
PF - Kleber / Eugene / Bonga
SF - DFS / Ntilikina / Green
SG - Hield / Dragic / S.Brown
PG - Luka / Brunson / Burke
41Dirk41
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2054 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:31 am

Small moves that doesn't change nothing, plus we lose the 1RP. I pass.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,947
And1: 570
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2055 » by Darren » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:47 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Small moves that doesn't change nothing, plus we lose the 1RP. I pass.


I don't think it is small change. Hardaway has 12 PER this year on % lower than 40% from 2P and barely 34% from 3P. Buddy, meanwhile, has 15-16 PER with 39% from 3P. And Buddy does impact the plus/minus when it matters the most. Look at the SAC-LAL game, you'll figure out how big Buddy comes up with in clutch moment. Buddy can make play, shoot well in open situation and play defense in clutch. That's significant difference over Hardaway. Let be real how much a different it is between Mavs 1st and Sac's 2nd? I don't believe it is much.

Replacing the awful fits with an expiring contract is fine. Hardaway is a bad contract. So is Powell and Bullock. The first round pick won't mean much for the Mavs anyway. I'd rather give DFS, Brunson, Ntilikina and Green pay than continue to pay for the awful players that hurt the team winning percentage. I don't think highly of Dragic. But unloading the toys of Kidd is huge. I've already figure out paying DFS is significantly better than paying Bullock. Both Powell and Bullock doesn't worth 11M. To unload them for only a 2nd rounder is a great bargain. Getting a roster spot for Green will allow the Mavs to play better defense at PF.

With the way the Mavs constructed, the Mavs just need a starting PF which is definitely unavailable at Mavs draft range. Why bother?
41Dirk41
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2056 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:27 am

THJ isn't a bad contract because it is decreasing, now he is in a great slump for sure...but it's a bad move trade him now when his value is all time low.
I like Hield and plus he wanted come here but we can't overpay him...the 1RP is tradable only for a star or something like that.
Sacto has 4 good players in PG/SG and Hield could be shopping for peanuts...

You can find good players at any position of draft, but maybe not for our bad FO and scout.

At this point i think Powell is untradable. Let him expire.
Teffer10
Head Coach
Posts: 6,172
And1: 505
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2057 » by Teffer10 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:55 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
At this point i think Powell is untradable. Let him expire.

I'm fine with letting Powell expire as long as Kidd isn't tempted to play him.
The contract doesn't kill us as much as his play does.
Simply taking him out of the rotation instantly makes us a better team.

We easily win the Wizards' game if DP would have been a DNP/CD.
ejs78
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,854
And1: 384
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2058 » by ejs78 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:33 pm

Remember the Mavs still have the TPE. Now if they use it

Also was listening to a podcast after last night's game and they made a good point that either Kidd is a moron or Moses Brown is so bad he's unplayable. If its he's unplayable why aren't the Mavs cutting him and bringing in a guy like Harry Giles for example since its the 15th man?




Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Teffer10
Head Coach
Posts: 6,172
And1: 505
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2059 » by Teffer10 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:18 pm

ejs78 wrote:Remember the Mavs still have the TPE. Now if they use it

Also was listening to a podcast after last night's game and they made a good point that either Kidd is a moron or Moses Brown is so bad he's unplayable. If its he's unplayable why aren't the Mavs cutting him and bringing in a guy like Harry Giles for example since its the 15th man?




Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app

At this point Kidd should just give Brown WCS's minutes. He can't be any worse and might get more rebounds.
At least Brown shows some interest in the game. WCS looks like someone who was forced to play BB because of his size but his passion is something totally different. Shows no interest whatsoever from what I can see.

Brown has an upside and WCS should be packaged with someone to improve our SL....preferably the Center or PF positions.
41Dirk41
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#2060 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:49 pm

ejs78 wrote:Remember the Mavs still have the TPE. Now if they use it

Also was listening to a podcast after last night's game and they made a good point that either Kidd is a moron or Moses Brown is so bad he's unplayable. If its he's unplayable why aren't the Mavs cutting him and bringing in a guy like Harry Giles for example since its the 15th man?




Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app


EO too...i don't understand why Kidd not make a try.
We don't have nothing to lose, our spot is 6/8 in the west and this is the moment for understand who can play next years and who can't.
WCS and Powell aren't part of our future, they are weak and done.

Return to Dallas Mavericks