ImageImageImage

Trade Discussion 22/23

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#401 » by Apz » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:51 am

Got hopes for bey tho Kinda sad the kids didnt get summer keague and a few months to catch up with the nba players. Seems good defensivdly anz can hit shots
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#402 » by arkuo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Apz wrote:Got hopes for bey tho Kinda sad the kids didnt get summer keague and a few months to catch up with the nba players. Seems good defensivdly anz can hit shots

Carlisle rarely plays rookies. He's not the visionary Don Nelson was. But Carlisle is good with Xs and Os. He needs finished product type of players. He cant develop and Donnie Nelson cant draft. So trading for talent is the only way to go.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,010

Post#403 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:42 pm

Apz wrote:Got hopes for bey tho Kinda sad the kids didnt get summer keague and a few months to catch up with the nba players. Seems good defensivdly anz can hit shots

The thing that I noticed about Bey is that his defense is good but he’s really loose with his dribble. That could lead to a lot of turnovers. He needs to tighten his handle and I’m sure he’s working with Shamgod on that. I think by mid season we will start to see more of these rookies get some minutes. Hinton is the guy I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#404 » by Teffer10 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:51 pm

Mr B wrote:

The thing that I noticed about Bey is that his defense is good but he’s really loose with his dribble. That could lead to a lot of turnovers. He needs to tighten his handle and I’m sure he’s working with Shamgod on that. I think by mid season we will start to see more of these rookies get some minutes. Hinton is the guy I really like.

Yeah, Hinton looks like a player that could contribute. The guy is all over the court and is an outstanding rebounder for his size. Plays with a tremendous amount of passion and that alone could take him a long way because he'll probably constantly work on his game.

My only concern with him is if he'll be disciplined enough to play in Rick's system. Hinton plays reckless streetball and that could get him on the bench fast on this team.

Bey has many of the same attributes as Marion but man does that guy look raw. Not sure Rick will ever give him the opportunity to develop properly.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#405 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:35 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Yeah, Hinton looks like a player that could contribute. The guy is all over the court and is an outstanding rebounder for his size. Plays with a tremendous amount of passion and that alone could take him a long way because he'll probably constantly work on his game.

My only concern with him is if he'll be disciplined enough to play in Rick's system. Hinton plays reckless streetball and that could get him on the bench fast on this team.

Bey has many of the same attributes as Marion but man does that guy look raw. Not sure Rick will ever give him the opportunity to develop properly.

Hopefully they get to stick around long enough to developed the way DFS, Maxi, and Powell did.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#406 » by arkuo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:33 am

One thing to note is Cuban and Donnie needs to do the signing right. Luka is no Dirk and he can easily bolt when he doesnt see a good team built around him to build his legacy with. If Lebron can leave the Cavs back then, it's possible with Luka too. When all is said and done, he might even join Giannis in Milwaukee. That team should have cap space around the time Luka is scheduled to re-sign.

Oladipo has been performing well thus far. Scoring in the 20s every game since the NBA opened. If he keeps this up he will be a viable option to replace THJ as Oladipo can defend 1 to 3. THJ cant. Oladipo can also handle the ball and make plays on his own. THJ waits to be fed passes.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#407 » by Mr B » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:53 am

arkuo wrote:One thing to note is Cuban and Donnie needs to do the signing right. Luka is no Dirk and he can easily bolt when he doesnt see a good team built around him to build his legacy with. If Lebron can leave the Cavs back then, it's possible with Luka too. When all is said and done, he might even join Giannis in Milwaukee. That team should have cap space around the time Luka is scheduled to re-sign.

Oladipo has been performing well thus far. Scoring in the 20s every game since the NBA opened. If he keeps this up he will be a viable option to replace THJ as Oladipo can defend 1 to 3. THJ cant. Oladipo can also handle the ball and make plays on his own. THJ waits to be fed passes.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. As Mavs fans we cannot expect Luka to be Dirk. Dirk was special. We can hope that Luka will resign (for max money of course) and be loyal to the franchise however we cannot expect it.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#408 » by arkuo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:58 am

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:One thing to note is Cuban and Donnie needs to do the signing right. Luka is no Dirk and he can easily bolt when he doesnt see a good team built around him to build his legacy with. If Lebron can leave the Cavs back then, it's possible with Luka too. When all is said and done, he might even join Giannis in Milwaukee. That team should have cap space around the time Luka is scheduled to re-sign.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. As Mavs fans we cannot expect Luka to be Dirk. Dirk was special. We can hope that Luka will resign (for max money of course) and be loyal to the franchise however we cannot expect it.

Agreed. Milwaukee is a legit option if he wants to jump ship and Cuban has to take team building seriously and not do plan powder every year for the next decade like he did before. Giannis > KP so it's easy to see why that's an upgrade. Dallas will have to sign Luka to a supermax. And when that happens, doing plan powder every year will be harder as that contract will take a lot of space for you to sign other players. if Cuban wants something to happen they need to do it now before Luka's supermax comes in.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#409 » by Mr B » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:16 am

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Agreed. Milwaukee is a legit option if he wants to jump ship and Cuban has to take team building seriously and not do plan powder every year for the next decade like he did before. Giannis > KP so it's easy to see why that's an upgrade. Dallas will have to sign Luka to a supermax. And when that happens, doing plan powder every year will be harder as that contract will take a lot of space for you to sign other players. if Cuban wants something to happen they need to do it now before Luka's supermax comes in.

I think Cuban sees it as we do. He’s not stupid. The Mavs kept plan “keep the powder dry” because they knew Dirk wasn’t going anywhere so they could take that approach. I would hope that they don’t have that same thinking in mind with Luka. They have $50M in expiring contracts and you have some teams that are now getting squeezed by the tax penalties. They have ammo to help themselves at the deadline if they want. Now I don’t expect this team to continue playing bad but I do expect a major trade to be made at the deadline.

leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#410 » by leolozon » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:16 pm

To put any stock into the Giannis signing was a stupid idea to begin with, yet I see many people here keep justifying it.

"Well you have to keep your cap space, even if there is a small chance!"

But that's it, there was no chance, as we have seen, and it was somewhat obvious even before Giannis signed back. It was all make-belief. And no it's probably not worth it as a strategy if there's a 1% chance, because the Mavs already had their #1 guy and can still be a championship team by looking at a #2 or 3 guy.

Now the team has missed another year and are left with only next year. There were guys available last year who had better odds of improving the Mavs than a dream that was never going to happen. The effort just had to be put there.

The best potential player now is probably Oladipo (or Beal if things don't work in Washington). But a lot of teams are going to be after Oladipo and for all we know he's also injury prone. It also leaves the team extremely thin in the front court. But I guess it's a good option if THJ/Richardson don't play well. At this point, I would probably rather gamble on Gordon, even though that doesn't excite me as much as Wood last year. And Oladipo probably doesn't excite me as much as giving a real package to draft Halliburton (don't know what they offered but he was gettable for sure).
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#411 » by Apz » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:31 am

How can u say there was no chance when texas was 1 of the 2 states he checked up the taxes for? Its 0 chance now that he resigned, but thats like sayinc there were zero chance trump would win ghe election because he nod hVe lost
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#412 » by leolozon » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:54 pm

Apz wrote:How can u say there was no chance when texas was 1 of the 2 states he checked up the taxes for? Its 0 chance now that he resigned, but thats like sayinc there were zero chance trump would win ghe election because he nod hVe lost

It's weird when people answer you, but don't quote you.

So he looked at the taxes, saw that they were better and still didn't come... and yet you argue that it means the Mavs had a chance? You realize that it means the opposite?

If someone looks at an argument that makes him lean one way, but still goes the other way, it's because he wasn't really interested to begin with and was just doing due diligence. I also look at a lot of things when I take a decision, some of them I'm not really interested in, but they still help me validate my decision.

And like I said, even if there was a 1 or 2%, it probably wasn't worth it considering the Mavs weren't completely desperate for him.

Edit : And no it's not like the Trump situation. It is incredibly different. Giannis was the only one deciding and probably pretty much knew what he was going to do, WE just didn't knew. There was no varianceat play. Trump was an election depending on millions of people. The two situations are nothing alike.
If you meant "no chance" is too drastic. Then I would agree. Take it as a figure of speech. The odds were so low, it basically wasn't worth the investment considering the possible outcome vs investing in someone else.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#413 » by Teffer10 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 5:32 pm

leolozon wrote:
Apz wrote:How can u say there was no chance when texas was 1 of the 2 states he checked up the taxes for? Its 0 chance now that he resigned, but thats like sayinc there were zero chance trump would win ghe election because he nod hVe lost

So he looked at the taxes, saw that they were better and still didn't come... and yet you argue that it means the Mavs had a chance? You realize that it means the opposite?

If someone looks at an argument that makes him lean one way, but still goes the other way, it's because he wasn't really interested to begin with and was just doing due diligence. I also look at a lot of things when I take a decision, some of them I'm not really interested in, but they still help me validate my decision.

And like I said, even if there was a 1 or 2%, it probably wasn't worth it considering the Mavs weren't completely desperate for him.

Edit : And no it's not like the Trump situation. It is incredibly different. Giannis was the only one deciding and probably pretty much knew what he was going to do, WE just didn't knew. There was no varianceat play. Trump was an election depending on millions of people. The two situations are nothing alike.
If you meant "no chance" is too drastic. Then I would agree. Take it as a figure of speech. The odds were so low, it basically wasn't worth the investment considering the possible outcome vs investing in someone else.

I think the Mavs feel they have the pieces that will attract stars but I think it is the opposite.
I can't imagine an alpha dog wanting to come play with Luka. I didn't see Giannis and Luka as a good marriage for this team.

We have our superstar with an all-star caliber sidekick so we just need to put the right pieces around them. JRich was a step in the right direction and now they just need to find a few more starting caliber pieces to complete the puzzle.
We have the trade pieces to address those needs imo.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#414 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 1, 2021 5:47 pm

leolozon wrote:

I think the Mavs definitely had a chance to sign Giannis. I there was even a report that he was looking into Texas a Florida. Miami may have still had a better shot but the Mavs were not totally out of the equation. Either way this a moot point considering he did what most thought he would do which is resign with the Bucks. So why is Giannis even a topic at this point. He’s staying in Milwaukee, time to move on.

Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#415 » by Apz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:35 pm

He probably checked how much less he would make in mavs or heat contra the supermax with taxes in bucks. Which kinda says he prefered mavs or heat, but would have lost too much money. Closer then that u cant come. And I understand him, what if he got injured badly or something, better sign the desl now anf be guarenteed the money
Mr B
RealGM

Post#416 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:47 pm

Apz wrote:He probably checked how much less he would make in mavs or heat contra the supermax with taxes in bucks. Which kinda says he prefered mavs or heat, but would have lost too much money. Closer then that u cant come. And I understand him, what if he got injured badly or something, better sign the desl now anf be guarenteed the money

I think he just felt loyal to the Bucks when it all came down to it. They mortgaged their future (for him) by trading for Jrue. He wasn’t going to leave them hanging.

Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#417 » by Absinthe » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:37 am

Giannis’ plan the entire time was to resign with the Bucks for huge money and then sign shorter deals with other teams if he can’t get a ring. He was always going to cash in for the guaranteed money and take the loyal route. That way, if they don’t win he can say, “Well, I tried and I resigned. What else do you want me to do?”
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#418 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:10 pm

Assuming Otto Porter is healthy and playing well around the deadline, would the Mavs be interested in the below:

Otto Porter

for

James Johnson
Tyrell Terry
Boban
Trey Burke or WCS or any other cap filler that works

Basically Tyrell Terry plus cap filler from the Bulls perspective. From the Mavs perspective, I think you guys land a starter who has previously excelled playing next to a high usage star. I assume you guys like Terry, but I also feel like that's a reasonable price to pay to land a playoff starter.

Doncic
J-Rich
THJ
Otto
Kristaps

That looks pretty good to me.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#419 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:20 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Assuming Otto Porter is healthy and playing well around the deadline, would the Mavs be interested in the below:

Otto Porter

for

James Johnson
Tyrell Terry
Boban

Basically Tyrell Terry plus cap filler from the Bulls perspective. From the Mavs perspective, I think you guys land a starter who has previously excelled playing next to a high usage star. I assume you guys like Terry, but I also feel like that's a reasonable price to pay to land a playoff starter.

Doncic
J-Rich
THJ
Otto
Kristaps

I would want to keep WCS. Also I honestly don’t see what the fascination with Otto Porter is. Other than his expiring contract. Watching him last night I was really underwhelmed. Not once did I ever think, oh we need that guy!

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#420 » by JD45 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:22 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Assuming Otto Porter is healthy and playing well around the deadline, would the Mavs be interested in the below:

Otto Porter

for

James Johnson
Tyrell Terry
Boban

Doncic
J-Rich
THJ
Otto
Kristaps

I like that deal. No idea if the Mavs do. But the benefit to it is they get a player prior to free agency so they can use Bird rights to sign JRich and THJ.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat

Return to Dallas Mavericks