Trade Discussion 22/23

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Re: Trade Discussion 21/22 

Post#4001 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon May 16, 2022 4:18 pm

We need a ready C, not a prospect.

We can draft a C for the bench but this team can't wait any develompment.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#4002 » by arkuo » Mon May 16, 2022 4:26 pm

If Bobby Portis can be had for $6M, go for it.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#4003 » by ejs78 » Mon May 16, 2022 4:57 pm

I guess we'll see. This playoff run can't hurt players wanting to come to Dallas.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#4004 » by Apz » Mon May 16, 2022 5:23 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:We need a ready C, not a prospect.

Do we tho? I guess it kinda depends if we want to win in the po or rs. 4 teams left, gsw and mavs dont have a center, celtics and heat do but they are on the smaller side.

I would say fine, if u get a center that can guard and switch and shoot it might be worth 10m. But above that, if aiming for titles center is a kinda unneeded position in todays nba. I would choose a movable big body pf over a center, say a 2nd maxi. Think that does more for our chances then get some lane clogger just to get a center
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#4005 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon May 16, 2022 5:35 pm

Apz wrote:

Do we tho? I guess it kinda depends if we want to win in the po or rs. 4 teams left, gsw and mavs dont have a center, celtics and heat do but they are on the smaller side.

I would say fine, if u get a center that can guard and switch and shoot it might be worth 10m. But above that, if aiming for titles center is a kinda unneeded position in todays nba. I would choose a movable big body pf over a center, say a 2nd maxi. Think that does more for our chances then get some lane clogger just to get a center

Good question... I don't know.

I think every kind of C will play well with Luka and an athletic rebounder/rim protector is what we need.

Anyway i trust in Nico, he maked some good moves so he has earned the trust.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#4006 » by arkuo » Mon May 16, 2022 5:46 pm

Apz wrote:

Bobby Portis is Maxi Kleber plus 20 lbs with a year round tan. He's quick enough to switch to smaller wings but is like 6'10 to 6'11. So he also can't defend really big centers. But then again you have Celtics with Al Horford and the Heat with Adebayo both of which are 6'9 to 6'10 and are doing great. I think he's worth the gamble.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#4007 » by arkuo » Mon May 16, 2022 6:45 pm

Dallas needs a tweener center for the system that Kidd is running. Not a big hulking center. That would negate all the advantage they have moving the ball around. An Antawn Jamison type would have been perfect in this era. 6''9 to 6'10, can score on all three levels and can still switch on wings on D if needed. There is a reason why Gobert and Ayton were disarmed in the playoffs.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#4008 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon May 16, 2022 7:24 pm

I think Portis either stays in MIL or chases the most money he can grab, making Dallas unlikely.

He has been brought up but Hartenstein is a great option. Should be able to get for the TP MLE, still young, elite advanced defensive metrics, can switch well to PF (And less well to SF), is a phenominal passer for a C (His 2.5 in under 20mpg for a C is tremendous), unselfish and has finally learned to play within himself in LAC. Love the fit, just wish he could shoot the 3. But you cant expect to get a guy that checks all your boxes for 6M.

I think you sign Hart, pick a 3/D swing big that can play PF and small ball C and call it a day.

G - Jalen Brunson / Spencer Dinwiddie / Frank Ntlikina
G - Reggie Bullock / Spencer Dinwiddie / Josh Green
F - Luka Doncic / Tim Hardaway JR / Davis Bertans
F - Dorian Finney-Smith / Maxi Kleber / Davis Bertans
C - Isaiah Hartenstein / Dwight Powell / EJ Liddell (#26) / Boban Marjanovic
arkuo
General Manager

Post#4009 » by arkuo » Mon May 16, 2022 7:28 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
I think you sign Hart, pick a 3/D swing big that can play PF and small ball C and call it a day.

If Thad Young can be had for cheap, that's your PF and small ball C IMO.

For 2023 when Powell and Maxi expires, I want someone like Kentavious Caldwell Pope. Just keep adding players that fit the system.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#4010 » by fuller4379 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:42 pm

Next offseason will be interesting. We have no money, but we have Luka and Kidd. I am guessing that Kidd can attract quality talent better than Carlisle. Kidd seems more player focused in his third time as a coach.

This team now has show that Luka can get it through a few playoff rounds. Add another stud, and this team can win a championship.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#4011 » by ejs78 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:45 pm

fuller4379 wrote:Next offseason will be interesting. We have no money, but we have Luka and Kidd. I am guessing that Kidd can attract quality talent better than Carlisle. Kidd seems more player focused in his third time as a coach.

This team now has show that Luka can get it through a few playoff rounds. Add another stud, and this team can win a championship.
Don't forget we have Nico too who alot of players seem to like.

fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#4012 » by fuller4379 » Tue May 17, 2022 1:06 am

Read on Twitter
arkuo
General Manager

Post#4013 » by arkuo » Tue May 17, 2022 5:22 am

ejs78 wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:Next offseason will be interesting. We have no money, but we have Luka and Kidd. I am guessing that Kidd can attract quality talent better than Carlisle. Kidd seems more player focused in his third time as a coach.

Don't forget we have Nico too who alot of players seem to like.

Add Jared Dudley to that. Somehow I feel he's the biggest shadow recruiter there being "homies" with a lot of players in the league.
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#4014 » by Apz » Tue May 17, 2022 8:12 am

I think centers is a dead breed. Well, if they cant shoot 35%+. I personally, as I said, rather take 2×kleber, or even dfs, over a center, if winning in the po is the goal. If getting nice win column in rs is more important, i would grab a center.

With that said. Our pick is late this year. If there is a mobile center available that doesnt have a ridiculous stroke, aka moses browns horrible shooting form, it might be worth it and try to develop him like mavs did dfs. Could ve a huge bonus in the future, but if he cant switch its kinda dead. Also dont want any guard picked unless he is like 6.5-6.6 atleast.

I really is at a point where I dont want any center on the roster. I know I will be flayed if we go up against heat or boston and their center dominates, but I dont think that will happen. 2x big pfs like kleber simply makes pure centers on the other team unplayable. We would have someone open for 3 every time down the floor. I dont want gobert, capella and so on. Yes they are good, but not po good. Turner I still have an open mind about, but not willing to mortage the future, would give this years pick tho but they would have to take powell back since i dont think we can dump the b's. I would love to have omoruyi back on full contract next season if healthy, not sure what his injury were, never got any clarity on that. Pinson too, and have mavs fans con ert tvat old song into "More then a player"
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#4015 » by Apz » Tue May 17, 2022 8:21 am

But just for the sake of it. Is there a limkt how long co tract u have to offer a rfa? Thinking to cet ayton, have okc or something offef him a 1 year huge deal, so he would be ufa next summer
arkuo
General Manager

Post#4016 » by arkuo » Tue May 17, 2022 8:40 am

Apz wrote:I think centers is a dead breed. Well, if they cant shoot 35%+. I personally, as I said, rather take 2×kleber, or even dfs, over a center, if winning in the po is the goal. If getting nice win column in rs is more important, i would grab a center.

With that said. Our pick is late this year. If there is a mobile center available that doesnt have a ridiculous stroke, aka moses browns horrible shooting form, it might be worth it and try to develop him like mavs did dfs. Could ve a huge bonus in the future, but if he cant switch its kinda dead. Also dont want any guard picked unless he is like 6.5-6.6 atleast.

I really is at a point where I dont want any center on the roster. I know I will be flayed if we go up against heat or boston and their center dominates, but I dont think that will happen. 2x big pfs like kleber simply makes pure centers on the other team unplayable. We would have someone open for 3 every time down the floor. I dont want gobert, capella and so on. Yes they are good, but not po good. Turner I still have an open mind about, but not willing to mortage the future, would give this years pick tho but they would have to take powell back since i dont think we can dump the b's. I would love to have omoruyi back on full contract next season if healthy, not sure what his injury were, never got any clarity on that. Pinson too, and have mavs fans con ert tvat old song into "More then a player"

I like the idea of making the league adjust to you. If Dallas can make traditional centers disappear as a position league wide, that would be similar to how Golden State started the whole three point shooting movement. A few years back, all the "experts" were telling GSW you cant attempt more than 20 threes in one game. Fast forward to 2022, and here we are. You make everyone adjust to you and how you play. That's a win.

That being said, a smaller more mobile big like John Collins. He's on the trade block as far as I know. HMFFL can provide more info on that, but at 6'9, can he play center on the Mavs? Makes other centers obsolete if he starts to consistently shoot threes. The stock for the Rudy Gobert types will just plunge further. A more mobile big can switch on wings on the pick and roll. Sure, you gamble when you defend bigger guys like Jokic, but it seems to be working well for the Mavs. Gobert and Ayton never had a chance this year. Both seeing more bench time in the 4th quarter.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#4017 » by arkuo » Tue May 17, 2022 10:31 am

Another sneaky addition is Derrick Jones Jr. At 6'8 he's a Mikal Bridges-lite on defense. Surely no Mikal Bridges shooter on 3, but that's why he won't cost you $20M a year as well. For the money available, he might be next year's Reggie Bullock type of signing.

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#4018 » by dygaction » Tue May 17, 2022 6:25 pm

arkuo wrote:Another sneaky addition is Derrick Jones Jr. At 6'8 he's a Mikal Bridges-lite on defense. Surely no Mikal Bridges shooter on 3, but that's why he won't cost you $20M a year as well. For the money available, he might be next year's Reggie Bullock type of signing.

He is either 6'5 or 6'6
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#4019 » by Teffer10 » Tue May 17, 2022 11:30 pm

dygaction wrote:
arkuo wrote:Another sneaky addition is Derrick Jones Jr. At 6'8 he's a Mikal Bridges-lite on defense. Surely no Mikal Bridges shooter on 3, but that's why he won't cost you $20M a year as well. For the money available, he might be next year's Reggie Bullock type of signing.

He is either 6'5 or 6'6
And sounds like another MKG.
Besides, we already have that player in Green Andy Frank.
Not crazy about adding another defensive wing that can’t shoot.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#4020 » by agentofatlas » Tue May 17, 2022 11:51 pm

fuller4379 wrote:Everyone on the free agent center list is either unattainable or doesn't excite me at all.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/center/

Isaiah Hartenstein is the only one that intrigues me on that list. Maybe they can pick someone up in the G-league.

Return to Dallas Mavericks