ImageImageImage

Trade Discussion 22/23

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Re: Trade Discussion 22/23 

Post#7261 » by fuller4379 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:49 pm

I think it is time to trade Luka while his value is at its peak. It is obvious that management can’t put a team around him. I would think we should get similar assets back that Brooklyn got for KD.
ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 567

Post#7262 » by ACMFFL » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:29 pm

Lol you don't trade a 24 years old generational talent who's still under contract for the next three seasons at least.
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#7263 » by arkuo » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:30 pm

fuller4379 wrote:I think it is time to trade Luka while his value is at its peak. It is obvious that management can’t put a team around him. I would think we should get similar assets back that Brooklyn got for KD.

For the sake of discussion, and if the Pistons get the number 1 pick, I'd trade Luka for Cade, Ivey and Webanyama.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#7264 » by fuller4379 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:39 pm

ACMFFL wrote:Lol you don't trade a 24 years old generational talent who's still under contract for the next three seasons at least.

I guess we will see soon if the Kyrie gamble works. This is Luka's fifth season and they have failed to surround him with any talent. Sure, the bad KP trade didn't help, but I don't trust the Mavs in being able to find decent talent to surround him in the future. In four years they have gotten beyond the first round of the playoffs once. I am looking at this in a logical manner as opposed to an emotional one. Management has built a very bad team around him. They have a lot of overpaid and underperforming players on their team. Outside of Luka and Kyrie, who on this team is a legitimate starter on a championship caliber team? Green and Kleber are the only two other players that have any value at all.
ACMFFL
Senior

Post#7265 » by ACMFFL » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:17 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:Lol you don't trade a 24 years old generational talent who's still under contract for the next three seasons at least.

I guess we will see soon if the Kyrie gamble works. This is Luka's fifth season and they have failed to surround him with any talent. Sure, the bad KP trade didn't help, but I don't trust the Mavs in being able to find decent talent to surround him in the future. In four years they have gotten beyond the first round of the playoffs once. I am looking at this in a logical manner as opposed to an emotional one. Management has built a very bad team around him. They have a lot of overpaid and underperforming players on their team. Outside of Luka and Kyrie, who on this team is a legitimate starter on a championship caliber team? Green and Kleber are the only two other players that have any value at all.

Yeah our FO has been really bad and I don't have fate in them neither but I think this summer we've got the last shot to build a legit contender.
Our asset are limited but this team just needs defense and interior presence, imho in the offseason there are the opportunites to improve the roster and get a legit center and a 3&d wing.

Trade Luka is the worst case scenario for this franchise, if we are not able to build a contender around a generational talent, we just have no hope no matter what kind of package we would net for Luka.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#7266 » by Teffer10 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:30 am

The Mavs took a tremendous risk when trading for Kyrie. If this thing doesnt work, Kyrie leaves and we'll be worse off than before the trade. Luka will probably start moaning to be traded by the deadline next year and we'll be forced to trade him.
Think about it if Wood and Kyrie walk this offseason, the Mavs will have lost KP, Brunson, Kyrie, Wood, DFS, Dinwiddie 2 first round picks, and 2 second round picks with only yielding Bertans and some virtually worthless capspace in the process in only an 18 month period.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man
And1: 1,025

Post#7267 » by BeiBeau » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:41 am

fuller4379 wrote:

1. You’re not being logical at all. This is a horrendously bad take. In the history of the NBA there has been less than a handful of teams to win the NBA championship without a top 5ish player. All of team building in the NBA is all about finding the Luka Doncic’s of the world.

2. Dallas has had Luka and Kyrie for 10 games. I have food in my fridge that is older than their time playing together. I don’t know what you people thought this was going got be like but it was never going to be pretty all the time. They need time to gel. They need a offseason to work together and the team needs an offseason to figure out how to figure out the defense without DFS. DFS was our 3rd best on ball defender this season but I under estimated how important his defensive leadership was so they need to replace that.

3. Luka is signed through 25/26 and Kyrie looks great. Right now is the time to push all the chips into the middle and double down. We will have 2 1st round picks to trade in the offseason. There are a plethora of defenders and big men Dallas can target which is all this team really needs, especially considering Dallas actually has some young talent to develop.

4. If Dallas trades Luka 24 months from now he will still be equally as valuable to us and we could always start a rebuild then.

All in all trading Luka is a brain dead idea
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#7268 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:01 pm

Apz wrote:No point in arguing with ozwizard. He got some blackmail material on the mods so you will end up with a ban. So everyone know what it is, but its just no point arguing with him. Just ignore him.

U can see his capacity when he thinks getting dlo is ranked higher then just let kyrie expire

Sorry that the total IQ of two of you is still in two digits. Yes try to consulate each other. Hopefully, you two will continue your crying sessions elsewhere.

I never said D'Lo to be better basketball player than Kyrie. Instead Kyrie leaving Mavs for free, a sign&trade and getting D'Lo might be the only option for Mavs. This is not sth I prefer, its reality. No one is going to sign&trade you, D.Booker for Kyrie.

* I do not believe Kyrie to stay with Mavs for the next 4-5 years. His eccentricity is not going to get fixed.
* I do not think Mavs should give Kyrie a 5-year max extension at $250m. I do not trust Kyrie to play basketball at a high level for the next 5 years. Mental and physical issues are already sidelining him.
* The probability of Kyrie helping this team to win is minuscule compared to what the Lakers got at the trade deadline.

I'd rather keep Brunson+DFS+Dinwiddie than Kyrie.
I'd rather get D'Lo+Vanderbilt+Beasley than Kyrie. Lakers are 7-3 compared to Mavs 3-7 in the last 10 games.

Anyway, Kyrie did not help any team to win in the last 5.5 years. **** up that stacked Celtics team then the **** with Nets Durant-Harden. Most of the time, Kyrie simply does not want to play. At other times, his efficiency is low compared to what he give up on defense. And when it comes to playoffs, I do not believe he can stay healthy for 2-3 series. Look at his last 5-6 years. Kyrie cannot stay healthy for long. Injury-wise, he reminds me of CP3's last 5-6 years.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#7269 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:12 pm

I mean he might ask a trade before that. The argument is market being high.

Trade Luka in 2023 vs 2026

- Luka with an expiring contract, or two years contract would be less valuable.
- By 2026, teams would realize trading 4 picks for Gobert was so bad. Even Durant thing with the age and injuries. It may not look great for 2026 playoffs.
- If Luka starts to get more injuries, and show more discontent in the next two years, his value would decline.

I do not think Cuban would trade him. But if he traded him it would be better for Mavs long term.
Call Presti. Ask him Chad + 6 first-round picks.

Luka+SGA+young defensive role players. That is an immediate contender. They'd have cap space too. They may still have 2-3 picks to trade too.

I dont think Detroit would trade this year's 1st+Cade for Luka. And if they're willing to make that trade then Dallas should be suspicious about Cade's injury. Cade's game is similar to Luka. He is on rookie deal. Adding another top level rookie (Wenbanyama) would make that team better than having just Luka. Luka would be unhappy there eventually. If I am the Pistons GM, I would not trade 1st+Cade for Luka unless I am concerned about Cade's health.
ACMFFL
Senior

Post#7270 » by ACMFFL » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:09 pm

Sorry but give away a top5 player in his prime is just stupid in my opinion.
We have the luck to have a generational talent, you just try everything you can to build a contender around him. The chances to pick another Luka are slim to none, let's be real, unless someone offers us Wemby who is projected to be the next big thing but he's obv unproven, unlike Luka who's a bonafide playoff performer.
I get the frustration to see how bad this season has been so far but, as I just said, this summer we got some asset to get a starting caliber center and a 3&d wing, this roster just needs more defense imho.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#7271 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:32 pm

ACMFFL wrote:Sorry but give away a top5 player in his prime is just stupid in my opinion.
We have the luck to have a generational talent, you just try everything you can to build a contender around him. The chances to pick another Luka are slim to none, let's be real, unless someone offers us Wemby who is projected to be the next big thing but he's obv unproven, unlike Luka who's a bonafide playoff performer.
I get the frustration to see how bad this season has been so far but, as I just said, this summer we got some asset to get a starting caliber center and a 3&d wing, this roster just needs more defense imho.

The roster needs better defensive center and keep adding defensive wing players who can make 3pt shots.
This is since like 3 playoffs ago. Both Clippers series, we were not able to defend. Offense was fine. Even with Marjanovic clogging the lane, Luka was still cooking enough. Last year we did not matchup with elite wing players in round 1-2. Both Donovan Mitchell and D.Booker are players that are not too big for our wing players to defend, and switch. But in WCF, we just happened to concede too many baskets from GSW's SF/PF rotation. Wiggins becoming a star is not sth we could've afford for.

Anyway, Front Office is incapable to diagnose what is wrong. They're making mistakes then panicking. Letting Brunson gone was huge mistake. They tried to find another scoring punch in C.Wood. Wood is a career loser, stat-padder. Then they understood Wood is not enough, we need a creator. Go for FACU as facilitator. Terrible ****. Kemba... And finally Kyrie.

What assets left? Even 50 years old Crowder is not easy to get. How would Mavs get a starting center + wing defenders? With two future picks? Kyrie may leave too.

I dont think Mavs will trade Luka unless he made public request. However, I think the championship window is almost closed. Look at how Celtics-Bucks-Warriors are stacked. Denver made a great team around Joker. Suns have too much of star power with a very respectable PG and C. Healthy LAC and LAL can still beat Mavs this year and next. Twolves, Pelicans, and Thunder will be threats in the next years.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#7272 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:50 pm

fuller4379 wrote:

*Mavs depleted all of their assets. We have two poison pill expiring contracts in Kyrie and Wood.
*And without having any serious injury, Mavs are only 2 games above rebuilding/tanking Jazz and Thunder teams.

Staying with Mavs will derail Luka's career big time. NBA is in a different era than Dirk's time. Nowadays there are more talent in the league, and there are more teams either tanking or stacking two-three star players together. Luka may not even win 1 title with Cuban's horrible GM moves. And Luka will definitely get hit by more hate as Mavs drop to play-in, lose in 1st round in next years. It could be similar to Harden-Rockets after 4-5 years of not advancing NBA Finals. Luka's stats will get questioned more. Also injuries can catch up more as well.

Dirk and many European players stayed loyal to their teams for some reason. It might be related with their lack of endorsement deals. Lebron definitely wanted to get more attention, more wins to earn more money. Perhaps their player agent network was nonexistent so they felt they have limited power. I mean even Bogdanovic is finishing the season with Pistons instead of ring-chasing elsewhere. Luka has the shoe deal with Jordan. I bet he can sell much more if he was playing for Knicks or a team that always makes the Finals like Heatles.

It is up to Luka and his agent. If they ask for a trade publicly, then Mavs will eventually trade him similar to KD-Nets of this year. If Luka has Real Madrid in him, he should seek the winning. Luka did not win Euroleague with a Balkan team.
ACMFFL
Senior

Post#7273 » by ACMFFL » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:11 am

LAL turned their season by just trading one distant pick and the most overpaid player in the league today.
I think we are just one quality center and a good coach away from being a legit contender.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,809

Post#7274 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:07 pm

Brunson-DFS-Dinwiddie VS Kyrie isn't a debate.
We didn't trade those 3 for Kyrie, Cuban and Nico screwed us letting Bruson goes away for nothing. That's pretty clear.

But Kyrie is a much better player than DFS+Dinwiddie.

Trading Luka is the most stupid idea i've ever read, no response needed. Just ignore.

Mavs went short again at the TDL not taking a big. Same old story.

But i can't understand why Kidd didn't ride a Luka-Kyrie-Josh-Maxi-Wood lineup as long as possible because this is the most talented mix of 5 players.
It's a no sense try other experiments, it's useless. They didn't work. It's proven.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,359

Post#7275 » by Mavrelous » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:19 pm

Kidd has personal problems with Wood, it's been clear since the 1st week, and a coach who drove away his top tier assistant, his 2 FA signings (Sterling Brown and Javale McGee) were total failures, is unable to draw up normal late game plays, can't utilize highly flawed but also very useful players (Wood and Bertans), and can't handle post game press conference has no place in this league, let alone lead a team with flawed roster and emotional player in a quasi-crisis like Luka.
Bucks figured out he's the problem and got rid of him, I wonder when will Mavs do the same, in the meantime their presstitutes are busy mocking the fanbase for stating the obvious.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,950

Post#7276 » by Archx » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:52 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Kidd has personal problem with Wood, it's been clear since the 1st week, and a coach who drove away his top tier assistant.

I think this is still a severly underrated conversation that hardly anyone has had. How did the Mavs screw up so badly with Igor that he wanted to go to be an assistant coach for Nash :lol:

And btw, after the MEM game, Kidd said Mavs have depth at big position, that was his reason why Wood only played 15 minutes. :banghead:
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#7277 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:09 pm

No hate for Powell but our only hope is an injury.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#7278 » by arkuo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:13 pm

Archx wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Kidd has personal problem with Wood, it's been clear since the 1st week, and a coach who drove away his top tier assistant.

I think this is still a severly underrated conversation that hardly anyone has had. How did the Mavs screw up so badly with Igor that he wanted to go to be an assistant coach for Nash :lol:

And btw, after the MEM game, Kidd said Mavs have depth at big position, that was his reason why Wood only played 15 minutes. :banghead:

Kidd runs his own mafia in Dallas the same way Riley runs his in South Beach. He only wants his boys rollijg with him. Probably takes a % off Powell's contract that's why he's playing him so much so he can get another 5 year deal.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#7279 » by arkuo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:14 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:No hate for Powell but our only hope is an injury.

No!!! That would mean Reggie Bullock at center. :banghead:
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#7280 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:02 pm

arkuo wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:No hate for Powell but our only hope is an injury.

No!!! That would mean Reggie Bullock at center. :banghead:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Dallas Mavericks