Trade Discussion 22/23

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BeiBeau
Sixth Man
And1: 1,025

Re: Trade Discussion 22/23 

Post#7321 » by BeiBeau » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:40 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:If that happened you would sill be able to trade Tim for more moves. You already have the wing backups in Green Hardy and Holiday. Maybe we bring back Powell if he is cheap plus we still have McGee and Bertans and Daniel that guy we traded Bullock for that is 6'8" and I don't know what he is capable of but likely He's a somewhat decent player but just overpaid enough that he would be considered a bad contract to warrant such a trade for the pacers. If Zach moves up in the draft I doubt we can figure out a way to snag him with anyone else unless we add in THJ. We could also offer a future first and cancel that trade and find another way to sweeten the deal if they preferred that package. Our future first is likely about the same as one or both of their late firsts. They need to use that extra first rounder later and figure out how to use it in a future draft so they can add another player without trying to integrate 3 new first round rookies in one season and risk having one not develop.

I don't want Powell back even for the min.
If we traded for Jokic or Embiid, Powell would still be our starter no matter what we are paying him.

Mavs should be done with Powell imo, because the temptation to play him seems to be too much no matter who the coach is on this team.

That is certainly one way to put it. I think a more correct statement is despite Dallas repeated attempts to move on from Powell they continue to need him and Powell incredibly unselfishly has always been there and without complaints. I will never understand this dumb sentiment from Dallas fans that because Dallas asks too much from Powell, Powell is at fault for doing his best. If Christian wood had the temperament and defense and motor to be a starter full time Dwight wouldn’t play but he doesn’t. If Maxi had the health and conditioning to start over Powell he would. But as it turns out when you get into the dog days of the season when players are out and tired you need hustle guys who can give 20 backup minutes.

The solution is to add upgrades over Powell. If we want to not resign Powell to the vet min we need to add 3 centers who are all clearly above him. Because as some point one of them is going to get injured and we need a replacement.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#7322 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:44 pm

I'm ok with Powell at vet min... But i think they will re-sign him for more money....
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,489

Post#7323 » by Maverick41 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:33 pm

Dallas will 100% sign Powell to more then a minimum contract. As much as we all agree he's not a starting level C and is often overplayed, the guy is at the very least, a good backup big that many teams would love to have. I certainly would not be shocked if he gets the contract McGee got for example. And that's fine if he does because at the very least, it's pretty good matching money for future trades.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#7324 » by BeiBeau » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:09 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:I'm ok with Powell at vet min... But i think they will re-sign him for more money....

Powell for 12 million over 3 years is completely worth it.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#7325 » by BeiBeau » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:13 pm

Maverick41 wrote:Dallas will 100% sign Powell to more then a minimum contract. As much as we all agree he's not a starting level C and is often overplayed, the guy is at the very least, a good backup big that many teams would love to have. I certainly would not be shocked if he gets the contract McGee got for example. And that's fine if he does because at the very least, it's pretty good matching money for future trades.

McGee’s contract was an overpay. The max I’d pay Powell is 15 million over 3 years. I would understand 18. But it’s a bit much.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#7326 » by Maverick41 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:29 pm

BeiBeau wrote:McGee’s contract was an overpay. The max I’d pay Powell is 15 million over 3 years. I would understand 18. But it’s a bit much.

I wouldn't prefer it either but I just wouldn't be shocked is all. Mavs management and the players love the guy. That goes a long way to getting bigger contracts.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#7327 » by BeiBeau » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:42 am

So on the trades and transaction board was a thread where people said the players their teams were likely to trade this offseason. I made a list of interesting players:

Lu Dort
Naz Reid(S&T)
Grant Williams
Nick Claxton
DFS
Robert Williams III(for the right price)
Isaiah Hartenstein
Clint Capela

I’m not an expert on the CBA so I don’t know if Dallas can receive S&Ts this offseason. But I’d like to see about adding Capela and Naz Reid or Hartenstein.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#7328 » by arkuo » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:57 am

BeiBeau wrote:So on the trades and transaction board was a thread where people said the players their teams were likely to trade this offseason. I made a list of interesting players:

Lu Dort
Naz Reid(S&T)
Grant Williams
Nick Claxton
DFS
Isaiah Hartenstein
Clint Capela

I’m not an expert on the CBA so I don’t know if Dallas can receive S&Ts this offseason. But I’d like to see about adding Capela and Naz Reid or Hartenstein.

ATL would need a center back as they're trying to compete still. So maybe Mcgee + Hardy + 1st round pick would make them say yes?
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#7329 » by Teffer10 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:41 am

My comments arent about Powell as much as the FO and coach.
Powell ends up winning the coaches and players over with his great character and that would be a good thing if he could better produce.

I've never seen a guy his size and athleticism, with that great of an attitude and opportunity, yield so very little in terms of stats.

Yes, he is certainly backup material and a deserves a contract equal or better than McGee. I just wish the FO and coach would understand that and put him in the role that he should be in.

Bottom line and newsflash for Cuban and Co...Powell is not a starter quality center. Not on any NBA team and most definitely not on a team that has aspirations of winning a title.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#7330 » by Teffer10 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:52 am

arkuo wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:So on the trades and transaction board was a thread where people said the players their teams were likely to trade this offseason. I made a list of interesting players:

Lu Dort
Naz Reid(S&T)
Grant Williams
Nick Claxton
DFS
Isaiah Hartenstein
Clint Capela

ATL would need a center back as they're trying to compete still. So maybe Mcgee + Hardy + 1st round pick would make them say yes?

Man...I dont think I would give up Hardy and a pick but if that is what it would take to solve our interior problems and help get Kyrie to resign, I'd probably concede.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#7331 » by arkuo » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:26 am

Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Lu Dort
Naz Reid(S&T)
Grant Williams
Nick Claxton
DFS
Isaiah Hartenstein
Clint Capela

Man...I dont think I would give up Hardy and a pick but if that is what it would take to solve our interior problems and help get Kyrie to resign, I'd probably concede.

Same sentiments here. But unfortunately you need ATL to agree and I think Hardy + 1st would make them say yes. If Dallas is fully committed to signing Kyrie anyways, Hardy at 6 minutes off the bench for the next 4 to 5 years is not ideal for us too. Might as well use that trade asset. It all hinges on getting that Kyrie contract done on the 1st minute of free agency. The biggest draw for Kyrie to stay is his relationship with Kidd and Nico Harrison. Nico needs to use that to his full advantage. He was hired to do one thing so he better be camping outside Kyrie's house on the first minute of free agency.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#7332 » by BeiBeau » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:09 pm

arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Same sentiments here. But unfortunately you need ATL to agree and I think Hardy + 1st would make them say yes. If Dallas is fully committed to signing Kyrie anyways, Hardy at 6 minutes off the bench for the next 4 to 5 years is not ideal for us too. Might as well use that trade asset. It all hinges on getting that Kyrie contract done on the 1st minute of free agency. The biggest draw for Kyrie to stay is his relationship with Kidd and Nico Harrison. Nico needs to use that to his full advantage. He was hired to do one thing so he better be camping outside Kyrie's house on the first minute of free agency.

Hardy and a 1st easily make them say yes. Atlanta is **** right now. They're a luxury tax team that is fighting for play in spots. They just gave up assets to get Murray so they don't have much to make another big swing. They also have Okongwu who is ready for a starting job and is only going to be so patient for so long. They just have too many mediocre players and not enough assets to fix their issues.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#7333 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:48 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Man...I dont think I would give up Hardy and a pick but if that is what it would take to solve our interior problems and help get Kyrie to resign, I'd probably concede.

Hardy and a 1st easily make them say yes. Atlanta is **** right now. They're a luxury tax team that is fighting for play in spots. They just gave up assets to get Murray so they don't have much to make another big swing. They also have Okongwu who is ready for a starting job and is only going to be so patient for so long. They just have too many mediocre players and not enough assets to fix their issues.

They have to dump him for save money, 1FRP + some expires could be enough.
Their cap situation is horrible.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#7334 » by BeiBeau » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:06 pm

The offseason Dallas should

1. S&T Christian Wood for a few 2nds.

2. Trade Jaden Hardy, McGee, and a 1st for Capela

3. Trade Tim Hardaway and a 1st for Hartenstein and Immanuel Quickley

4. Resign Powell to 12 million over 3 years. Resign Justin Holiday to 6 million over 2 years.

5. Buy a 2nd round pick with cash in the 50s and pick up Dillon Mitchell from Texas who can be a big wing defender and if he develops a 3 he will be a steal.

6. I would at least consider firing Kidd. But it will be interesting to see how we close out the season and what Luka and Kyrie can do with a offseason to work together.

2023-24 Mavs:

Luka/Quickley/Wright
Kyrie//Quickley/Pinson
Green/ Holiday/Pinson
Bullock/Kleber/Bertans/ Mitchell
Capela/ Hartenstein/ Powell
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#7335 » by Mike lorenzo » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:07 pm

BeiBeau wrote:The offseason Dallas should

4. Resign Powell to 12 million over 3 years. Resign Justin Holiday to 6 million over 2 years.

5. Buy a 2nd round pick with cash in the 50s and pick up Dillon Mitchell from Texas who can be a big wing defender and if he develops a 3 he will be a steal.

6. I would at least consider firing Kidd. But it will be interesting to see how we close out the season and what Luka and Kyrie can do with a offseason to work together.

2023-24 Mavs:

Luka/Quickley/Wright
Kyrie//Quickley/Pinson
Green/ Holiday/Pinson

some questions..
1 What team is paying those SRPs for Wood? And what player are we getting in exchange? If they have salary space, they don't have to give away SRP. Does Wood want the Mavs to control his future? Why?

2 Capella earns about 20 million.. I would have to add more salary..

3 Why would the Knicks do that? They are already paying Fournier (and he doesn't play) and they have Grimes/Hart/Barrett....etc...they also have more FRP than us (including ours).. they need IH(Mich gets hurt a lot)and there is no way they are getting rid of IQ(at that price at least)..

would launch our 2 unprotected FRP for Anunoby .. Something like..
THJ+2 FRP(unprotected) for OG..

in this scenario Tim takes the place of FA Trent + they get 2 FRP for OG expiring.. ..

Would Wizards be interested in saving some money in the future? Bullock for Gafford.. Wizards are already paying KP in the middle...they get a legit veteran 3D they need...and save money to pay for Kuz (and possibly KP next year)... I would offer
1+1=11
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#7336 » by BeiBeau » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:30 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:The offseason Dallas should

2023-24 Mavs:

Luka/Quickley/Wright
Kyrie//Quickley/Pinson
Green/ Holiday/Pinson

some questions..
1 What team is paying those SRPs for Wood? And what player are we getting in exchange? If they have salary space, they don't have to give away SRP. Does Wood want the Mavs to control his future? Why?

2 Capella earns about 20 million.. I would have to add more salary..

3 Why would the Knicks do that? They are already paying Fournier (and he doesn't play) and they have Grimes/Hart/Barrett....etc...they also have more FRP than us (including ours).. they need IH(Mich gets hurt a lot)and there is no way they are getting rid of IQ(at that price at least)..

would launch our 2 unprotected FRP for Anunoby .. Something like..
THJ+2 FRP(unprotected) for OG..

in this scenario Tim takes the place of FA Trent + they get 2 FRP for OG expiring.. ..

Would Wizards be interested in saving some money in the future? Bullock for Gafford.. Wizards are already paying KP in the middle...they get a legit veteran 3D they need...and save money to pay for Kuz (and possibly KP next year)... I would offer

1. Sign and trades happen for a plethora of reasons. Top ones being players wanting to leave their previous team in good faith and players wanting contract benefits that only the trading team can offer. There are a few teams that need good backup bigs and bench shooting there will be a market for him. Worst case he just walks though. I'd even keep him on like a 2/28 or 3/42 but I don't think he has felt particularly respected in Dallas.

2. We would not have to add more salary, we will be under the cap in the offseason. If we go and sign a bunch of players before possibly trading for Capela we would have to add more salary.

3. A 1st is the price the Knick asked for for Quickley. I am assuming the Knick are packaging a bunch of picks and Barrett for an upgrade at the first opportunity they can. I think you might be right on Dallas owing value here though.

Gafford is interesting so is Richaun Holmes. I think if we just traded just a 1st for Quickley and a 2nd(removing Hartenstein and THJ from the previous trade) we could direct a second or two to Minnesota in a Naz Reid sign in trade to open free agency.

I like OG but he's often injured and I also think Dallas gets out bid.

I think with Tim's contract we are quickly approaching the day when he has positive value. I wonder who the best player we could get for just him is?
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,932

Post#7337 » by Archx » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:36 pm

BeiBeau wrote:2. Trade Jaden Hardy, McGee, and a 1st for Capela

Feels like they are going to do with Hardy as they did with Green/DFS. I think he could potentially be a THJ replacement and obviously a cheap one, raised in house. Hardy is one of the few bright spots, only 20yo and huge potential. I wouldn't trade him for a guy like Capela.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#7338 » by Maverick41 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:38 pm

BeiBeau wrote:Luka/Quickley/Wright
Kyrie//Quickley/Pinson
Green/ Holiday/Pinson

I like all 3 of Quickley, Hartenstein and Capela's fit here but if we're gonna spend 2 FRPs AND Hardy to get them, I would think twice. We somehow have to get a good wing (preferably a bigger one) because a wing rotation of Green/Bullock/Holiday is not getting it done now and will continue to not get it done in this projected lineup.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#7339 » by Maverick41 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:36 pm

What do you guys think of a double SnT: Wood for Grant Williams? 2 malcontents being traded for another. Grant easily becomes our starting 4 who is switchable 3-5 and can shoot the 3. Wood become the inside scorer the Celtics lack, and can also be hidden on D by their plethora of good defenders. More importantly they get something instead of losing Grant for nothing and ditto for us. Contract would probably be 12-15 mil for 3 years. Somewhere around there. Grant is supposedly looking for 20 mil but I just see no way he gets that kind of contract. Nor do I see Wood commanding that either.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#7340 » by Teffer10 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:32 am

Archx wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:2. Trade Jaden Hardy, McGee, and a 1st for Capela

Feels like they are going to do with Hardy as they did with Green/DFS. I think he could potentially be a THJ replacement and obviously a cheap one, raised in house. Hardy is one of the few bright spots, only 20yo and huge potential. I wouldn't trade him for a guy like Capela.

Hardy should only be traded if the Mavs are certain Kyrie is staying long-term.

Mavs seem to have committed to the short-term by trading for Kyrie and that is fine if they make the necessary subsequent moves to aggressively go after a championship in the next few years.
Maintaining status quo in the front court like they have basically done over the last 4 years is not going to cut it so I'd be inclined to be on board with a Hardy for Capela swap (and fillers) if the Mavs are FULLY committed to winning now.

They'd still have a lot of work to do, but Capela would be a nice start.

Return to Dallas Mavericks