ImageImageImage

Trade Discussion 22/23

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Re: Trade Discussion 22/23 

Post#8541 » by Darren » Tue Jun 6, 2023 11:27 am

Instead of trading for LBJ, I think it is wiser to wait to get Lebron out of retirement. If Lebron is serious about teaming up, then retire now.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#8542 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 6, 2023 12:11 pm

Gooner wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:These reports by Haynes and Shams is just posturing by LeBron and Kyrie to force Pelinka to bring him to LA or at least bring them to the table to inflate Kyries contract.

With basketball media, there's rumors and then there's reports put out for a purpose to help players. Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. This one is the latter imo.

Yes, it's obvious that LBJ wants to trade for Kyrie but Pelinka doesn't. Now klutch sports puts this out there as some kind of a threat. If they don't give LBJ what he wants, he might leave. Kyrie obviously wants to go to the Lakers, but he can't say it publicly. I believe if he signs with the Mavs, it will be a shorter deal with a big salary, just to keep the door open for the Lakers. That's where he wants to be, and it's not just because of LBJ.

From Dallas perspective it would be the best to sign and trade Kyrie imo. They experimented with him and Luka and it didn't work because they just have different styles of play. Kyrie put up great numbers but the team lost it's identity. It was an unnecessary panick move when Luka has plenty of years left on his contract. They need to be patient with their approach to building this team.

S&T, yes for sure. But not for D'Angelo Russell. If they let Kyrie walk they have one max salary slot. That max salary can go to anyone not named D'Angelo Russell. So Dallas has the cards here, unless Kyrie wants to sign with OKC. LA doesnt have money to sign Kyrie straight up and Kyrie isnt taking less than the max. Its an interesting scenario.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#8543 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 12:51 pm

Let Kyrie and LeBron make their game... We have Kyrie Bird rights so he doesn't have so much freedom.

It's a win win situation for us.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#8544 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 6, 2023 6:43 pm

Maverick41 wrote:These reports by Haynes and Shams is just posturing by LeBron and Kyrie to force Pelinka to bring him to LA or at least bring them to the table to inflate Kyries contract.

With basketball media, there's rumors and then there's reports put out for a purpose to help players. Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. This one is the latter imo.

I read a report this morning that says the Lakers believe this posturing by Labron to force the Lakers into a buyout.

Regardless of Labron’s reasoning for leaking this the Mavs can’t trade for him. They don’t have the assets. They also can’t afford to lose the assets they do have in a trade for Labron.

Their best bet to sign Labron would be next off season when he’s a free agent. If he wants to play with Kyrie then and is willing to sign for a lot less money then it could work but not right now.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#8545 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 8:30 pm

I've never seen a player take less money for playing with the Mavs(outside Dirk), most of time Mavs had to overpay players for sign them.

If LeBron wants play here, no problem.
Take a buyout and sign for the min. You are welcome.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#8546 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 11:53 pm

Mr B wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:Shams reporting Kyrie urging Mavs to trade for Lebron.

It should be doable with THJ and Bertan's contracts there to match.

Kyrie wants Luka gone. No surprise.

I'll admit Luka would be very happy in LA. Lakers would be the most similar team to Real Madrid in the US.
Luka-Vanderbilt-AD would be great setting for hiding Luka's defensive deficiency and allow great two men game for Luka. Luka-Kyrie is not helping Luka at all. Luka-AD would open new layers on offense for Luka.

Anyway, its not happening. Clown Nico Harrison is not that dumb.

Luka isn’t going to Lakers and the Mavs aren’t trading him. Only wishful thinking on your part.

Well, I said it is not happening. I would suggest to read all of it before sending a reply.

Like most of the stuff Kyrie says, recruiting Lebron stuff is also a BS. Lebron has little to no incentive to leave LA. His life is good there, endorsement money is pouring, him doing a lot of business in LA etc. There is no viable scenario for the Lakers to trade him without getting Luka. Without Luka, Lebron would have zero incentive to come to Dallas.

1. On Kyrie's part this comment may be a way to say 'Hey I am interested in signing with Lakers and play with Lebron' without actually saying it. Avoiding fine.

2.Kyrie is obviously worried about whether if he can get 5-year max or 4-year max. Poisonous contract. GM-killer type of deal.
So Kyrie would like to generate some talk about him signing elsewhere to secure a deal from Nico-Mavs. Kyrie wants to be talked. Attention wh***

3. Asking to play with Lebron is also saying him doesn't want to play with Luka. I mean Luka-Lebron are very similar players. In terms of point-forwards that can operate in the post, there are not many others. It is like Aaron Gordon or Murray saying, 'hey, I want to play with Embiid' while Jokic is on his team. or 76ers J.Harden saying, 'I want to recruit A.Davis'. Kyrie is Grade A locker room cancer
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#8547 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 12:00 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Let Kyrie and LeBron make their game... We have Kyrie Bird rights so he doesn't have so much freedom.

Lebron is not coming here. It's just a poisonous comment by Kyrie.

Imagine James Harden saying, 'I want to recruit A.Davis' while playing with Embiid.
You'd either think:
- Harden wants to go to LA.
- Harden doesn't like Embiid.
- Harden wants 4-5 year max extension and force 76ers front office.

No need to talk about the possibility about coupling Harden-AD-Embiid. Anybody would know that is not possible.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,489

Post#8548 » by Maverick41 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:11 am

DAL Receives: Gafford + M. Morris + Bamba + Vanderbilt
LAL Receives: SnT Kyrie
WAS Receives: SnT D'Lo (3yrs/60) + M. Christie

DAL gets a lot of frontcourt help. All 3 guys are 24-25 years old and have upside and/or can play big minutes on this team. Vanderbilt especially can help mitigate some of Luka's defensive deficiencies. Morris goes back to to the backup role he thrives in to settle the bench. DAL also gets flexibility. Both Morris and Bamba are 9-10 mil expirings that can be flipped later or let expire and potentially get up to max cap space next summer while still competing in the upcoming season. Try for guys like J. Brown, Siakam, Claxton or 1 the many RFAs from the 2020 class.

LAL gets the guy they want. They get to still keep Rui + Reeves too.

WAS is the biggest question. This trade gives them a semi big 4 of D'Lo, Beal, Kuzma and KP. Not screaming a title contender but it's a pretty scary RS team which they seem to be content being for decades now. LAL can perhaps give them more SRPs as additional compensation.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#8549 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:42 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Let Kyrie and LeBron make their game... We have Kyrie Bird rights so he doesn't have so much freedom.

Imagine James Harden saying, 'I want to recruit A.Davis' while playing with Embiid.
You'd either think:

No need to talk about the possibility about coupling Harden-AD-Embiid. Anybody would know that is not possible.

I don't care what Kyrie or LeBron think, we have the leverage in this situation. They can't do anything without Mavs help. And we will not help them.

LeBron is still a very good player but not even close to Luka right now, everybody know that.
It's a no sense try to compare them, Kyrie and LeBron need Luka for win.

You make too much overthinking every time without any reason, calm down.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#8550 » by Teffer10 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 8:57 am

Interesting thought.
If Black slips to us in the draft, do we take him?
That would make Hardy expendable and solved a defensive wing hole. Black has good size and should be an elite wing defender and has tremendous playmaking ability.

Then we could dangle Hardy and 2027 FRP for a center.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Post#8551 » by Mavrelous » Wed Jun 7, 2023 10:22 am

Teffer10 wrote:Interesting thought.
That would make Hardy expendable and solved a defensive wing hole. Black has good size and should be an elite wing defender and has tremendous playmaking ability.

Black is a great fit with Hardy...
We saw what Hardy is capable of, I think Mavs fans rightly have him as lottery talent in the last draft, but he doesn't hold this value yet around the league, so Mavs will be selling low.

If Black is there, I'd S&T Kyrie for a center (Kyrie/Bertans for Gobert and Prince for example from MIN).
Hardy/Black
Bullock/Green
Luka/THJ
Prince/Maxi
Gobert/McGee
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mr B
RealGM

Post#8552 » by Mr B » Wed Jun 7, 2023 3:53 pm

Personally I would take Black if he’s still there at 10. I agree that he fills one of the holes at defensive wing and as you said also brings some play making capabilities. I also agree that he would make Hardy expendable.

They would still need to find a way to get a rim protector though.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#8553 » by Mr B » Wed Jun 7, 2023 3:54 pm

Mavrelous wrote:

Black is a great fit with Hardy...
We saw what Hardy is capable of, I think Mavs fans rightly have him as lottery talent in the last draft, but he doesn't hold this value yet around the league, so Mavs will be selling low.

If Black is there, I'd S&T Kyrie for a center (Kyrie/Bertans for Gobert and Prince for example from MIN).
Hardy/Black
Bullock/Green
Luka/THJ
Prince/Maxi
Gobert/McGee

Kyrie would not agree to that trade. Remember he’s a free agent so if he were signed and then traded he has to agree to the trade. He’s definitely not going to Minnesota. Also if I’m the Mavs I want no part of Gobert’s contract.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Post#8554 » by Mavrelous » Wed Jun 7, 2023 4:02 pm

Mr B wrote:Kyrie would not agree to that trade. Remember he’s a free agent so if he were signed and then traded he has to agree to the trade. He’s definitely not going to Minnesota. Also if I’m the Mavs I want no part of Gobert’s contract.

Kyrie wants to get paid, and doesn't have many suitors.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#8555 » by Teffer10 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 4:23 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
Mr B wrote:Kyrie would not agree to that trade. Remember he’s a free agent so if he were signed and then traded he has to agree to the trade. He’s definitely not going to Minnesota. Also if I’m the Mavs I want no part of Gobert’s contract.

Once he gets paid he'll be asking for a trade whether he is with Dallas or Minny or wherever.
That's why we better hope like hell he accepts a S&T so we can move on from him asap.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#8556 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:26 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

Once he gets paid he'll be asking for a trade whether he is with Dallas or Minny or wherever.
That's why we better hope like hell he accepts a S&T so we can move on from him asap.

Agreed, with reports that LAL are hesitant to give AD an extention and Kyrie wanting to play with LBJ, a S&T of the 2 is ideal.

S&T Kyrie/THJ for AD/Beasley
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#8557 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 8:54 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

You'd either think:

I don't care what Kyrie or LeBron think, we have the leverage in this situation. They can't do anything without Mavs help. And we will not help them.

LeBron is still a very good player but not even close to Luka right now, everybody know that.
It's a no sense try to compare them, Kyrie and LeBron need Luka for win.

You make too much overthinking every time without any reason, calm down.

I just point out that Kyrie's comments are a shot at Luka. If you play for Embiid you dont publicly say you want to recruit Jokic.

If Kyrie had a head over his shoulders, then he would have all the leverage going into a FA. Imagine Giannis heading to FA. Not even Giannis, if Jamal Murray had expiring deal, he would have tons of teams offering/pitching him a 4 year max.

Kyrie is not sure if he can get 4-year max due to mental injuries, health concerns, on-court subpar results. So he is trying to create more interest, try to stay relevant.

Overthinking comment is kinda funny. All the trade discussion section is overthinking. We are not just talking what trades happened. Its mostly about hypothesizing next trades.

There are some uncomfortable truths that some people wants to avoid. It happened during last year of Brunson and Mavs not willing to offer what Jalen wanted on many occasions. Kyrie 4 or 5-year max deal would also be catastrophic for Mavs. Hope Mavs can find a sign&trade before its too late.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#8558 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 9:03 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

Lets be honest, Kyrie may simply not care to play anymore.
We saw him with his buddies in Brooklyn. They were running all the team, coach selections, even the roster. And Kyrie did not show much interest in playing. After this 4-year max deal, there would be little to none incentive for him to care. John Wall, Kemba Walker type of small guards were done after injuries and age coming to 30. They were fine with just collecting checks. Then again there is Andrew Bynum case...

Mavs can sign&trade Kyrie, but the fact that there are not many suitors willing to pay max for him hence his value is not much. Getting back another old and or overpaid player is only option. Gobert is overpaid but it would make sense in terms of asset value. D.Ayton is slight overpay, so maybe Mavs add sth on top of Kyrie to get Ayton. Taking back negative asset (C.Paul contract) may work.

We just need a new owner to make another big mistake to save us :lol:
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#8559 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 9:14 pm

Black looks like an interesting prospect. His strengths sounds nice but his shooting is only a little better than Ben Simmons.
Apparantely he cannot dribble to his left. In NBA, they'll put those in his scouting report pretty quickly.

Defensively, it will probably take a year or two for him to understand how to avoid fouling. His frame, height, wingspan is great for the position and helped him defensively so far. In NBA the competition will be better, so he'd need to improve defensive fundamentals.

In general, I think he'd be a pretty good #10 pick. I am not sure how much role he can take in a Luka-playoff team for next two seasons.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#8560 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 9:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=_NGIfL2bHUsR0Qoy-SrOBw&s=19

Can somebody tell Marc Cuban to call PHX owner? New owner syndrome can create wonders for other franchises.

Return to Dallas Mavericks