Luka looks very out of shape

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Re: Luka looks very out of shape 

Post#21 » by Bob8 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:38 pm

wolfram wrote:
BlueSan wrote:Not really, when he tells us why that is the case and is he not abiding to the conditiong then we can move on.

This morning the entire Slovenian media is giving it attention. Twitter jokes and puns are all around. Most famous, his commercial with him eating Poli - Sandwich and comments like: "he cannot put it down..."

He may not be affected much by it -> but everyone is to some extent
And performance-wise 100% he is affected by it. Even if he scores you 30/10/10 he is saving some of that offensive/defensive energy that he would otherwise be having on a nightly basis if in better condition.
Now, how much of it percentage-wise is debatable. Is it 5%, 10%... depends on a person, your feeling on the night of a basketball game and just how much kg, body fat wise he is out of shape. But it looks like quite a bit (for an NBA player standard)
But as someone who played basketball a lot on a quite high level as well I can tell you with 100% certainty it is affecting you.
Not to mention his risk for injury increases.

So once again, only when someone answers why it is happening or it gets fixed we can drop the subject. Until that time it should be mentioned constantly... Answering stupid questions like what does Richardson bring to the team. Were you happy with his performance today and stuff like that give us ZERO absolutely ZERO information?
Answering why he is out of shape IS GIVING us information. Even if he says it is because he just feels like enjoying it.

Then we will stop talking about it in this way, but you can bet we will have other topics to discuss. These are important topics to discuss and as a former athlete, I think they are way more important topics than 90% of the stuff we are discussing here. Is it not nice to hear your main star has conditioning problems. Yes, it is not, but it can be fixed relatively easily if you actually talking about the problem instead of brushing it aside, just cause he is a superstar. And I hope his coaches are doing exactly that...

You and Bob are giving this way too much attention. It's borderline unhealthy.

Is it? People are non stop talking how he should have better % in FTs, better shot selection, better 3pts %, be better in the clutch... Don't you think that having better conditioning is much easier to achieve and maybe even more important, better conditioning will have positive influence on all other areas of his game. Don't you forget, that Luka has never had good season finish in his professional life. My wild guess would be, his body conditioning has something with that.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#22 » by Apz » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:50 am

How do you know it will make him better? For all we know it might make him worse, not being able to bully his way to the ring and so on. Its not like he is fat.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#23 » by BlueSan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:27 am

@Apz

It definitely doesn't make you better if you are out of shape. Adding kg/punds in an effective way for a purpose is one thing. Getting out of shape grabbing some fat actually makes you perform worse

Here I'll just quote myself:

BlueSan wrote:Well, his energy levels and movement is definitely affected by it.

If you think any different you can start with carrying a couple of additional kg around and playing basketball (not totally the same, but gets the point across) The bigger the mass, the more energy you need to move that mass and likewise bigger pressure on all the ligaments, joints and whatnot.

That's not a subjective opinion that is science and fact. And when I was playing around with mass and training my body in different ways when playing. You feel those effects.
You add those "power" muscles as we would call them, you feel stronger, but you also feel that you have less energy between and the end of games = muscles burn a lot of energy.
You don't add those and you feel lighter, when you touch the floor after jumping, you don't feel the stress of your joints as much etc.

But if you just gained WASTE weight (which is basically a nice way of calling FAT) you feel those pressure on joints, you also feel a bit more tired when playing (cause more mass means you need to exert more energy) and in addition, you feel a bit less comfortable moving around.
I know shocker, fat actually doesn't make you move more elegant. And at professional levels, every freaking kg shows.

So once again him being overweight does not mean he isn't able to put up godly numbers and play well.
It means he will perform less optimal each game than he could have if not having that and it also means you run a higher risk of injuries.

And those two things in a game where you get paid millions to perform and be healthy are important. Very important

And finally, all of those also show your commitment and professionalism which is also a bit problematic. It is not that there arent amazing athletes who are not acting like professionals and not taking care of their bodies as they should. But it is again a given that taking care of your body and doing the right things is always positive. LeBron is a great example of that.
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,935

Post#24 » by Oscar9992 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:26 am

I agree. Him looking out of shape worrying me a lot.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#25 » by Apz » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:05 pm

Depends what your job is. Drummond seems to have lost lots of weight but now he seems to be bullied like a little girl. We not talking building muscles here. If the options is slim down to a KP look or stay as he are he will be more effective as he are with his play style. Ofc, best would be to gain 15kg muscles but not certain it would be all good either.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#26 » by wolfram » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:10 pm

Apz wrote:Depends what your job is. Drummond seems to have lost lots of weight but now he seems to be bullied like a little girl. We not talking building muscles here. If the options is slim down to a KP look or stay as he are he will be more effective as he are with his play style. Ofc, best would be to gain 15kg muscles but not certain it would be all good either.

I must admit he looks slow and clumsy. He will need to get in better shape.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#27 » by jpengland » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:31 pm

He carries weight gain badly

He's not defined at the best of times and he catches a lot of weight to the chin quickly. I have similar issues

I'd imagine he drops quickly once season starts.

Not an issue right now but given the minutes and beating he will take year jn/out he needs to get better habits.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#28 » by Teffer10 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:44 pm

Being out of shape also increases the risk for injury.
That dead weight can be taxing on the knees, ankles and back.
Luka needs to get his priorities straight if he wants to have a long career in this league.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#29 » by JD45 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:10 am

He didn't look that bad the last pre-season game. Maybe a little bit thicker around the middle, but not much. And his movement and quickness seemed to be back to bubble levels.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#30 » by HMFFL » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:49 am

Luka has added weight but he appears to be stronger, too.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#31 » by arkuo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:55 pm

A few more slices of pizza and Luka will look like James Corden soon.

Return to Dallas Mavericks