ImageImageImage

So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,990
And1: 5,453
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#41 » by Pinkyring » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:31 am

Id like a run st dipo if he keeps this up followed by lowry and Conley, no interest in bringing back thj over 12m and Richardson over 15m. Both are solid players but they're 4th options on contenders if you don't have 2 top 5 players.
Apz
Pro Prospect
Posts: 919
And1: 248
Joined: Jan 18, 2019
   

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#42 » by Apz » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:10 am

What? Richardson is the perfect fit wigh luka, ofc we try to resign him , speciallh if what was said in other thread is true and we can resign both him and thj over the cap.

No untreest in maxing oladipo, lowry is too old now and same wihh conley, and both damn expensive. Rather throw mobey on rfa guys then them
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,965
And1: 654
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#43 » by arkuo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:45 pm

Apz wrote:What? Richardson is the perfect fit wigh luka, ofc we try to resign him , speciallh if what was said in other thread is true and we can resign both him and thj over the cap.



Depends on how much RIchardson costs. I'm sure they will try to keep him and given how good the fit is, RIchardson's camp will surely as for a high price tag. You have to remember, his agent is Bill Duffy. Same agent as Luka and coincidentally same agent as Steve Nash who Cuban let go off because of the high price tag he deemed not worthy. Agents will always pounce on commissions. that's why Dallas needs a Plan B so they wont get hostaged into signing him for Jerami Grant type of money.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,965
And1: 654
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#44 » by arkuo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Trent Jr. from Portland turned down a contract that pays him $13M per year, coming from the league minimum. I'd imagine RIchardson and his camp would ask for Harrison Barnes type of money. If guys like Joe Harris and Davis Bertans can get paid like that, that sets the league standard. Richardson probably has $20M+ in mind, at least. Mavs fans have been spoiled by Dirk accepting discount contracts year in and year out. Welcome to the real NBA fellas. :nod:
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,990
And1: 5,453
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#45 » by Pinkyring » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:51 pm

arkuo wrote:Trent Jr. from Portland turned down a contract that pays him $13M per year, coming from the league minimum. I'd imagine RIchardson and his camp would ask for Harrison Barnes type of money. If guys like Joe Harris and Davis Bertans can get paid like that, that sets the league standard. Richardson probably has $20M+ in mind, at least. Mavs fans have been spoiled by Dirk accepting discount contracts year in and year out. Welcome to the real NBA fellas. :nod:

If he's asking for 20m he needs to be moved at the deadline, he's going to be a 14ppg guy on average efficiency and decent defense, those guys u named are amazin shooters, he doesn't do anything above average.
BlazersBroncos
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,710
And1: 3,472
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#46 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:15 pm

Trent Jr. from Portland turned down a contract that pays him $13M per year, coming from the league minimum. I'd imagine RIchardson and his camp would ask for Harrison Barnes type of money. If guys like Joe Harris and Davis Bertans can get paid like that, that sets the league standard. Richardson probably has $20M+ in mind, at least. Mavs fans have been spoiled by Dirk accepting discount contracts year in and year out. Welcome to the real NBA fellas. :nod:


Assuming Richardson opts out, he is looking at a cap hold of $17.4M.

Opt out of the WCS deal and renounce all FA leaves Dallas at:

Porzingis 31.65M
Powell 11.08M
Doncic 10.17M
Kleber 8.82M
DFS 4M
Burke 3.15M
Green 2.95M
Iwundu 1.82M
Brunson 1.80M
Terry 1.55M
Bey 1.47M (QO)
TOTAL - 78.46M + Richardson Cap Hold 17.4M = 95.86M

Projected cap for 2021/22 is 112M. That means Dallas is looking at around 16.14M in cap space if they wish to retain Richardson. Use some 2nd rounders to jettison Iwundu and that increases to near 18M.

At that amount, your not in Dipo territory. You likely need to renounce Richardson to get there and at that point, is it worth losing both Richardson and THJ for Dipo? I don't think it is.

I personally would attach a future FRP to Powell to move him and get more cap space. Some teams will be willing to take that deal into cap space as there is a surplus this coming summer. That increases the amount to play with to 29.08. At that point, you can put a competitive offer in for John Collins. Its a risk, and will be an overpay, but its now or never to get a big(ish) fish before Luka is due to be paid. This would be contingent on his 3PT shot coming back, as any big money guy has to be able to spread the floor for Luka. Assuming that works out (Big if), use the Room MLE (5.2M) to chase Alex Caruso as a low usage 3/D guard.

G - Alex Caruso / Jalen Brunson / Tyrell Terry
G - Josh Richardson / Trey Burke / Josh Green
F - Luka Doncic / Dorian Finney-Smith / Josh Green
F - John Collins / Dorian Finney-Smith / Tyler Bey
C - Kristaps Porzingis / Maxi Kleber / Boban Marjanovic (Vet Min)

Bench scoring looks bad, but otherwise its a pretty nice group. You finish the 'big 3' for Luka by gambling on Collins, get a defensive 5th starter who doesn't require much usage and still have some plus defenders on the bench who can shoot the 3.
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,990
And1: 5,453
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#47 » by Pinkyring » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Id still prefer to move maxi for cap and a minor asset than pay to move Powell, at some point we gotta stop paying backups 8-10 million a year without actually having starters.
JD45
Head Coach
Posts: 7,419
And1: 108
Joined: Dec 28, 2003

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#48 » by JD45 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:58 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Id still prefer to move maxi for cap and a minor asset than pay to move Powell, at some point we gotta stop paying backups 8-10 million a year without actually having starters.


If reports are right and Powell only has $6 mil of his last year guaranteed, then he can be waived/stretched at the end of this year to free up $7.5 mil of cap space. That's close to the $8.1 mil Maxi makes. I don't see the benefit of paying someone to take Powell. And they a very likely to not need the cap space anyway.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#49 » by ejs78 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:10 pm

I thought the Mavs had about 35 million in cap space and with Richardsons opt out like 46.
BlazersBroncos wrote:
Trent Jr. from Portland turned down a contract that pays him $13M per year, coming from the league minimum. I'd imagine RIchardson and his camp would ask for Harrison Barnes type of money. If guys like Joe Harris and Davis Bertans can get paid like that, that sets the league standard. Richardson probably has $20M+ in mind, at least. Mavs fans have been spoiled by Dirk accepting discount contracts year in and year out. Welcome to the real NBA fellas. :nod:


Assuming Richardson opts out, he is looking at a cap hold of $17.4M.

Opt out of the WCS deal and renounce all FA leaves Dallas at:

Porzingis 31.65M
Powell 11.08M
Doncic 10.17M
Kleber 8.82M
DFS 4M
Burke 3.15M
Green 2.95M
Iwundu 1.82M
Brunson 1.80M
Terry 1.55M
Bey 1.47M (QO)
TOTAL - 78.46M + Richardson Cap Hold 17.4M = 95.86M

Projected cap for 2021/22 is 112M. That means Dallas is looking at around 16.14M in cap space if they wish to retain Richardson. Use some 2nd rounders to jettison Iwundu and that increases to near 18M.

At that amount, your not in Dipo territory. You likely need to renounce Richardson to get there and at that point, is it worth losing both Richardson and THJ for Dipo? I don't think it is.

I personally would attach a future FRP to Powell to move him and get more cap space. Some teams will be willing to take that deal into cap space as there is a surplus this coming summer. That increases the amount to play with to 29.08. At that point, you can put a competitive offer in for John Collins. Its a risk, and will be an overpay, but its now or never to get a big(ish) fish before Luka is due to be paid. This would be contingent on his 3PT shot coming back, as any big money guy has to be able to spread the floor for Luka. Assuming that works out (Big if), use the Room MLE (5.2M) to chase Alex Caruso as a low usage 3/D guard.

G - Alex Caruso / Jalen Brunson / Tyrell Terry
G - Josh Richardson / Trey Burke / Josh Green
F - Luka Doncic / Dorian Finney-Smith / Josh Green
F - John Collins / Dorian Finney-Smith / Tyler Bey
C - Kristaps Porzingis / Maxi Kleber / Boban Marjanovic (Vet Min)

Bench scoring looks bad, but otherwise its a pretty nice group. You finish the 'big 3' for Luka by gambling on Collins, get a defensive 5th starter who doesn't require much usage and still have some plus defenders on the bench who can shoot the 3.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
JD45
Head Coach
Posts: 7,419
And1: 108
Joined: Dec 28, 2003

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#50 » by JD45 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:41 pm

Those numbers are correct based on Sport Trac. I don't think Brunson and Bey are guaranteed, so that could create some more space. And then stretch/waiving Powell could free up some more.

The original big cap numbers were based on pre-Covid salary cap estimates.

I agree with the post though. If the Mavs had to give up JRich and THJ for Oladipo, it wouldn't be worth it. And if they are going to have to give up picks to free up more cap, they should try to make that trade during season so they can use bird rights for JRich and Oladipo. Of course, they would need a commitment from Oladipo that he would resign with the Mavs.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#51 » by ejs78 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:15 pm

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/dallas-mavericks-team-salary/

What am I missing?
JD45 wrote:Those numbers are correct based on Sport Trac. I don't think Brunson and Bey are guaranteed, so that could create some more space. And then stretch/waiving Powell could free up some more.

The original big cap numbers were based on pre-Covid salary cap estimates.

I agree with the post though. If the Mavs had to give up JRich and THJ for Oladipo, it wouldn't be worth it. And if they are going to have to give up picks to free up more cap, they should try to make that trade during season so they can use bird rights for JRich and Oladipo. Of course, they would need a commitment from Oladipo that he would resign with the Mavs.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
JD45
Head Coach
Posts: 7,419
And1: 108
Joined: Dec 28, 2003

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#52 » by JD45 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:11 am

ejs78 wrote:http://www.basketballinsiders.com/dallas-mavericks-team-salary/

What am I missing?


Its the same. Guaranteed total of $75 mil from that link. Add $17 for JRich cap hold, then another $3 for Brunson and Bey. That gets to $95 mil. With $112 mil cap, leaves around $17 mil cap room. They can do a max contract if JRich ops out and they dont resign him.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#53 » by ejs78 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:45 am

Not 100% sure but don't they have his rights so they could sign him and go over the cap.
JD45 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:http://www.basketballinsiders.com/dallas-mavericks-team-salary/

What am I missing?


Its the same. Guaranteed total of $75 mil from that link. Add $17 for JRich cap hold, then another $3 for Brunson and Bey. That gets to $95 mil. With $112 mil cap, leaves around $17 mil cap room. They can do a max contract if JRich ops out and they dont resign him.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
JD45
Head Coach
Posts: 7,419
And1: 108
Joined: Dec 28, 2003

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#54 » by JD45 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:21 am

ejs78 wrote:Not 100% sure but don't they have his rights so they could sign him and go over the cap.


Unfortunately, thats what the $17 mil cap hold is for. That counts against their cap space unless they renounce JRich's bird rights.

So, they could trade for someone now using the expiring contracts of THJ and Johnson. Then go over the cap to resign that player and JRich. But if they wait for free agency, JRich is going to cut into the amount they can get under the cap and what they could offer a free agent.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#55 » by ejs78 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:01 am

JD45 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Not 100% sure but don't they have his rights so they could sign him and go over the cap.


Unfortunately, thats what the $17 mil cap hold is for. That counts against their cap space unless they renounce JRich's bird rights.

So, they could trade for someone now using the expiring contracts of THJ and Johnson. Then go over the cap to resign that player and JRich. But if they wait for free agency, JRich is going to cut into the amount they can get under the cap and what they could offer a free agent.
I don't think that cap hold counts and they can go over

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2020/06/19/dallas-mavericks-josh-richardson-trade/5/

This is all I could find outside of what I know.

Good info from you

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,982
And1: 1,632
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#56 » by Mr B » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:38 am

arkuo wrote:If the cost were the same, who would fit the Mavs better. Kyle Lowry or Victor Oladipo?

Mavs could do both. At this point in Lowrey’s career he could choose to sign a low dollar deal to play for a contender.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,982
And1: 1,632
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#57 » by Mr B » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:40 am

arkuo wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:Another option is to use Luka at SF on defense and then add a PG that has 3 and D skill so you could play them at PG on D with Luka the PG on Offense. Luka would classify as a top 3 SF and if that was his position to play then a PG addition with off the ball scoring ability would be a fit


Patty Mills from the Spurs should come cheap in the summer.

Also, if you can get Mike Conley cheap, that would be a nice bargain. Plays defense and scores too. Getting Conley cheap would allow you to sign Richardson and THJ back too.


On defense:
PG- Conley
SG- RIchardson
SF- Doncic

Kyle Lowrey might be another cheap option.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlazersBroncos
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,710
And1: 3,472
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#58 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:56 pm

I don't think that cap hold counts and they can go over


Cap holds do count. If you relinquish the cap hold, you cant go over the cap to resign.
ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#59 » by ejs78 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:01 pm

Then why does that article suggest the can still add a max player?
BlazersBroncos wrote:
I don't think that cap hold counts and they can go over


Cap holds do count. If you relinquish the cap hold, you cant go over the cap to resign.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,982
And1: 1,632
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#60 » by Mr B » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:15 pm

ejs78 wrote:Then why does that article suggest the can still add a max player?
BlazersBroncos wrote:
I don't think that cap hold counts and they can go over


Cap holds do count. If you relinquish the cap hold, you cant go over the cap to resign.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

If the Mavs renounced all of their cap holds they could sign a max player. That likely means they lose the players that they released the caps holds on though. So a guy like JRich would likely be gone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Dallas Mavericks