ImageImageImage

So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#81 » by ejs78 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:06 pm

Mr B wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:He's an expiring so the money didn't matter, i had us trading thj boban and either 18 or 31 for him in the offseason and was slammed because of the "fit" when my argument has always been u don't worry about fit when u lack high end talent which we do. The only two guys i want to keep are luka and kp (unless we gey a great offer) i don't care about keeping anybody else on this roster long term
I see.
Like you, nobody on our roster interest me much, but Luka, and KP.
I don't believe we have the assets to do much by trade. We are in a huge bind.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

The value is in the expiring contract not necessarily the player themselves. Although I would disagree with you. Kleber, DFS, and Brunson have value because of their talent. Not Harden level value but still they have value.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes,

Some team is going to want to clear the books and not necessarily want an asset.

Also you could say the asset would becoming in the way of the team moving off a good player that increases their own draft odds by bottoming out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,982
And1: 1,632
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#82 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:17 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Mr B wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I see.
Like you, nobody on our roster interest me much, but Luka, and KP.
I don't believe we have the assets to do much by trade. We are in a huge bind.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

The value is in the expiring contract not necessarily the player themselves. Although I would disagree with you. Kleber, DFS, and Brunson have value because of their talent. Not Harden level value but still they have value.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of return do you believe we can acquire for those players? I only view them as role players so I believe the return won't be much.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

They are just role players. Even Role players have value to the right team. The type of return is tricky though. I think best case scenario we end up doing a trade like JRich/Curry trade. Basically trading them for a player that’s a better fit or has better long term value to the Mavs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,982
And1: 1,632
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#83 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:20 pm

ejs78 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I see.
Like you, nobody on our roster interest me much, but Luka, and KP.
I don't believe we have the assets to do much by trade. We are in a huge bind.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

The value is in the expiring contract not necessarily the player themselves. Although I would disagree with you. Kleber, DFS, and Brunson have value because of their talent. Not Harden level value but still they have value.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes,

Some team is going to want to clear the books and not necessarily want an asset.

Also you could say the asset would becoming in the way of the team moving off a good player that increases their own draft odds by bottoming out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Exactly. I still think a team like the Warriors are going to be looking to dump salary. They are way into the tax and likely won’t make the playoffs. If they are tanking by the deadline they may be looking to offload a contract. Warriors are just an example though, other teams that are tanking by the playoffs might be looking to make a similar deal just to dump a bad contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#84 » by ejs78 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:42 pm

It also depends on how the Mavs value a player. For example I don't like or dislike Lavine, but I could see teams not viewing him as a #1 option or maybe not even a #2. That alone eliminates a good chunk of teams. If Dallas sees him as a 2B or 3 and Bulls wanna sell it can happen.

I think it's about a 70% chance they make a pretty decent move.
Mr B wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
Mr B wrote:The value is in the expiring contract not necessarily the player themselves. Although I would disagree with you. Kleber, DFS, and Brunson have value because of their talent. Not Harden level value but still they have value.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes,

Some team is going to want to clear the books and not necessarily want an asset.

Also you could say the asset would becoming in the way of the team moving off a good player that increases their own draft odds by bottoming out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Exactly. I still think a team like the Warriors are going to be looking to dump salary. They are way into the tax and likely won’t make the playoffs. If they are tanking by the deadline they may be looking to offload a contract. Warriors are just an example though, other teams that are tanking by the playoffs might be looking to make a similar deal just to dump a bad contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,982
And1: 1,632
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#85 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:22 pm

ejs78 wrote:It also depends on how the Mavs value a player. For example I don't like or dislike Lavine, but I could see teams not viewing him as a #1 option or maybe not even a #2. That alone eliminates a good chunk of teams. If Dallas sees him as a 2B or 3 and Bulls wanna sell it can happen.

I think it's about a 70% chance they make a pretty decent move.
Mr B wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Yes,

Some team is going to want to clear the books and not necessarily want an asset.

Also you could say the asset would becoming in the way of the team moving off a good player that increases their own draft odds by bottoming out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Exactly. I still think a team like the Warriors are going to be looking to dump salary. They are way into the tax and likely won’t make the playoffs. If they are tanking by the deadline they may be looking to offload a contract. Warriors are just an example though, other teams that are tanking by the playoffs might be looking to make a similar deal just to dump a bad contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Yea how a team values their own players will play a factor. I don’t think Levine would be a great option fir us because of how high the Bulls value him. Markkanen might be an option in trade though. His value seems to have dropped a little the past couple of seasons. Would Kleber and Brunson make the Bulls better? I think so.

Or look at a player like Myles Turner. It seems like the Pacers have been open to moving him lately.

I know the Mavs have never shown an interest in Julius Randle but what it the light did come on for him and he continues to play at his current pace. Could he be an option?

Again, these are just examples. There will be other players available.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#86 » by ejs78 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:35 pm

Mr B wrote:
ejs78 wrote:It also depends on how the Mavs value a player. For example I don't like or dislike Lavine, but I could see teams not viewing him as a #1 option or maybe not even a #2. That alone eliminates a good chunk of teams. If Dallas sees him as a 2B or 3 and Bulls wanna sell it can happen.

I think it's about a 70% chance they make a pretty decent move.
Mr B wrote:Exactly. I still think a team like the Warriors are going to be looking to dump salary. They are way into the tax and likely won’t make the playoffs. If they are tanking by the deadline they may be looking to offload a contract. Warriors are just an example though, other teams that are tanking by the playoffs might be looking to make a similar deal just to dump a bad contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Yea how a team values their own players will play a factor. I don’t think Levine would be a great option fir us because of how high the Bulls value him. Markkanen might be an option in trade though. His value seems to have dropped a little the past couple of seasons. Would Kleber and Brunson make the Bulls better? I think so.

Or look at a player like Myles Turner. It seems like the Pacers have been open to moving him lately.

I know the Mavs have never shown an interest in Julius Randle but what it the light did come on for him and he continues to play at his current pace. Could he be an option?

Again, these are just examples. There will be other players available.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Randle has come to my mind.
He can only really guard 4s, but he can get easy points in the paint for days

I like Turner and am not sure why people think he and KP can't work. Whenever Sabonis is out Turner kills it and we all know KP will time off. Hes a game changer with his shot blocking, but doesnt board well.

Good examples

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 42,510
And1: 3,587
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#87 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:16 am

Read on Twitter


Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,992
And1: 5,454
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#88 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jan 2, 2021 12:38 pm

Derozen definitely won't shoot 50% from 3 but if he can shoot around 35% on 3 attempts a game, he gets st least 25m and id gladly pay that and let tim snd Richardson go
gottamakeit
Junior
Posts: 310
And1: 114
Joined: Jan 08, 2012

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#89 » by gottamakeit » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:49 pm

Any desire to bring Derrick Rose onto this team?
ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#90 » by ejs78 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:07 pm

I don't want anyone over 30

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
leolozon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,100
And1: 4,921
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#91 » by leolozon » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:34 pm

ejs78 wrote:I don't want anyone over 30

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app


It's funny how many people are ready to make the same mistake as always : "Thinking about the short term instead of building something." Hey, let's trade for that 32-35yo on the way down! Like that we'll be sure to get the worst version of that player.

It doesn't help that RC won't play the rookies to see what they have. Josh Green could develop into someone great for the team.
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,979
And1: 461
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#92 » by Teffer10 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:57 pm

Mr B wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
Mr B wrote:The value is in the expiring contract not necessarily the player themselves. Although I would disagree with you. Kleber, DFS, and Brunson have value because of their talent. Not Harden level value but still they have value.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes,

Some team is going to want to clear the books and not necessarily want an asset.

Also you could say the asset would becoming in the way of the team moving off a good player that increases their own draft odds by bottoming out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Exactly. I still think a team like the Warriors are going to be looking to dump salary. They are way into the tax and likely won’t make the playoffs. If they are tanking by the deadline they may be looking to offload a contract. Warriors are just an example though, other teams that are tanking by the playoffs might be looking to make a similar deal just to dump a bad contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warriors will be looking to unload Wiggins.
Do we really want to take on that contract?
Powell and THJ or JJ would work salary wise....would you really want to do that?

I don't see them wanting to unload anyone else.

However, Oubre would be interesting if he becomes available.
ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#93 » by ejs78 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:02 pm

Absolutely not to Wiggins.

Id rather have Hield & now Bagley over him if that tells you anything

Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Yes,

Some team is going to want to clear the books and not necessarily want an asset.

Also you could say the asset would becoming in the way of the team moving off a good player that increases their own draft odds by bottoming out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Exactly. I still think a team like the Warriors are going to be looking to dump salary. They are way into the tax and likely won’t make the playoffs. If they are tanking by the deadline they may be looking to offload a contract. Warriors are just an example though, other teams that are tanking by the playoffs might be looking to make a similar deal just to dump a bad contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warriors will be looking to unload Wiggins.
Do we really want to take on that contract?
Powell and THJ or JJ would work salary wise....would you really want to do that?

I don't see them wanting to unload anyone else.

However, Oubre would be interesting if he becomes available.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,979
And1: 461
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#94 » by Teffer10 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:20 pm

ejs78 wrote:Absolutely not to Wiggins.

Id rather have Hield & now Bagley over him if that tells you anything

Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:Exactly. I still think a team like the Warriors are going to be looking to dump salary. They are way into the tax and likely won’t make the playoffs. If they are tanking by the deadline they may be looking to offload a contract. Warriors are just an example though, other teams that are tanking by the playoffs might be looking to make a similar deal just to dump a bad contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warriors will be looking to unload Wiggins.
Do we really want to take on that contract?
Powell and THJ or JJ would work salary wise....would you really want to do that?

I don't see them wanting to unload anyone else.

However, Oubre would be interesting if he becomes available.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, I don't want Wiggins but if they were to use Oubre to move Wiggins and take Powell back it wouldn't be quite as bad.
Wiggins/Oubre/Bazemore/Chriss for Powell/THJ/Johnson/Terry would work salary wise but still don't think I'd take Wiggin's contract even unloading Powell and bringing back Oubre.
We would be extremely younger though making a move like that.

Luka/Brunson/Iwundu
JRich/Burke/Bazemore
Wiggins/Oubre/Green
DFS/Maxi/Chriss
KP/WCS/Boban

Not sure we'd be any better.
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,982
And1: 1,632
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#95 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:59 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Yes,

Some team is going to want to clear the books and not necessarily want an asset.

Also you could say the asset would becoming in the way of the team moving off a good player that increases their own draft odds by bottoming out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Exactly. I still think a team like the Warriors are going to be looking to dump salary. They are way into the tax and likely won’t make the playoffs. If they are tanking by the deadline they may be looking to offload a contract. Warriors are just an example though, other teams that are tanking by the playoffs might be looking to make a similar deal just to dump a bad contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warriors will be looking to unload Wiggins.
Do we really want to take on that contract?
Powell and THJ or JJ would work salary wise....would you really want to do that?

I don't see them wanting to unload anyone else.

However, Oubre would be interesting if he becomes available.

No, definitely do not want Wiggins. But Mavs could be part of a 3-team trade that sends Wiggins elsewhere.

With the amount of expiring contracts the Mavs have they could help facilitate a salary dump.

Or what about Horford in OKC?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ejs78
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 211
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#96 » by ejs78 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:20 pm

I can't do that age or contract unless somehow we get some of their picks.
Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:Exactly. I still think a team like the Warriors are going to be looking to dump salary. They are way into the tax and likely won’t make the playoffs. If they are tanking by the deadline they may be looking to offload a contract. Warriors are just an example though, other teams that are tanking by the playoffs might be looking to make a similar deal just to dump a bad contract.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warriors will be looking to unload Wiggins.
Do we really want to take on that contract?
Powell and THJ or JJ would work salary wise....would you really want to do that?

I don't see them wanting to unload anyone else.

However, Oubre would be interesting if he becomes available.

No, definitely do not want Wiggins. But Mavs could be part of a 3-team trade that sends Wiggins elsewhere.

With the amount of expiring contracts the Mavs have they could help facilitate a salary dump.

Or what about Horford in OKC?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,982
And1: 1,632
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#97 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:25 pm

ejs78 wrote:I can't do that age or contract unless somehow we get some of their picks.
Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Warriors will be looking to unload Wiggins.
Do we really want to take on that contract?
Powell and THJ or JJ would work salary wise....would you really want to do that?

I don't see them wanting to unload anyone else.

However, Oubre would be interesting if he becomes available.

No, definitely do not want Wiggins. But Mavs could be part of a 3-team trade that sends Wiggins elsewhere.

With the amount of expiring contracts the Mavs have they could help facilitate a salary dump.

Or what about Horford in OKC?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Again, just an option. There will be other options available around the league at the trade deadline.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,965
And1: 654
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#98 » by arkuo » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:42 am

I'll still trade THJ + Powell for Tobias Harris + Thybulle or Shake Milton

Have DFS slide back to SF where that thin frame of his can box out other small forwards. Slot Harris who is 6'9 at PF where he can take slower PFs off the dribble.

DFS at PF only works if DFS's shooting can drag other big men out to the 3 point line to guard him. Guarding DFS tight means he is a legitimate threat. DFS has not score in the 20s this year to warrant any type of defensive assignments on him. And that's why the spacing is bad because you have DFS at PF and Powell at C. Both or which are not threats to any opponents. This is on Carlisle. He has used this lineup for 5 games now and it hasnt worked.

Or take DFS to the 2nd unit, start Kleber and Harris at both forward spots. Much more balanced too.

C- Porzingis / WCS / Powell
PF - Kleber / Johnson / Bey
SF- Harris / DFS / Green
SG - Richardson / Milton / Terry
PG - Doncic / Brunson / Burke
Archx
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,303
And1: 3,092
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#99 » by Archx » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:52 am

arkuo wrote:I'll still trade THJ + Powell for Tobias Harris + Thybulle or Shake Milton

Have DFS slide back to SF where that thin frame of his can box out other small forwards. Slot Harris who is 6'9 at PF where he can take slower PFs off the dribble.

DFS at PF only works if DFS's shooting can drag other big men out to the 3 point line to guard him. Guarding DFS tight means he is a legitimate threat. DFS has not score in the 20s this year to warrant any type of defensive assignments on him. And that's why the spacing is bad because you have DFS at PF and Powell at C. Both or which are not threats to any opponents. This is on Carlisle. He has used this lineup for 5 games now and it hasnt worked.



Uhmmm, you really think Philly would be dumb enough to just say yes to THJ and Powell? Even THJ's expiring contract might be seen as a negative value for a team who wants to contend...... and then there is Powell.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,965
And1: 654
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#100 » by arkuo » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:32 am

Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:I'll still trade THJ + Powell for Tobias Harris + Thybulle or Shake Milton

Have DFS slide back to SF where that thin frame of his can box out other small forwards. Slot Harris who is 6'9 at PF where he can take slower PFs off the dribble.

DFS at PF only works if DFS's shooting can drag other big men out to the 3 point line to guard him. Guarding DFS tight means he is a legitimate threat. DFS has not score in the 20s this year to warrant any type of defensive assignments on him. And that's why the spacing is bad because you have DFS at PF and Powell at C. Both or which are not threats to any opponents. This is on Carlisle. He has used this lineup for 5 games now and it hasnt worked.



Uhmmm, you really think Philly would be dumb enough to just say yes to THJ and Powell? Even THJ's expiring contract might be seen as a negative value for a team who wants to contend...... and then there is Powell.


It's not crazy to think that Philly wants to dump Tobias Harris' contract to clear their books. I don't need to break Harris' contract on a per year basis below. You're aware of this, right? As it stands they have a $19.8M luxury tax bill.

They need to replace Danny Green who walks after this season. But with no cap space, who do they sign? If they trade for THJ, they get another shooter and they get his bird rights.

Return to Dallas Mavericks