ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Nuggets (10PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,913

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Nuggets (10PM EST) 

Post#41 » by Archx » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:09 am

Mr B wrote:
Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:The expectations for the team last year were inflated because of the media narrative that Luka "almost beat" the Clippers. But people forget really that the Clippers are a hot mess. Had the Mavs faced the Jazz or the Nuggets, it would have been an easy 1st round exit.

Uhmmm this is not the same Luka we saw in the bubble. He was cooking PG and Kawhi but now has problems getting around Jokic. At this rate he'll need 2 months to get back to his usual self.

But just in general, games like today we see how important Curry was for this team and people jumped on me when i said Mavs will miss him a lot.

Lukas has looked pretty good the last 2 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did. I was impressed with his 2nd half and OT performance tonight. This stat is quite crazy on its own aswell.

Read on Twitter
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#42 » by agentofatlas » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:11 am

Wow. The Mavs actually won an OT game lol.

Always nice to see Luka's mid range game. Glad he took that instead of a three.

Josh and Maxi were great down the stretch. Hopefully this means the team is getting into a steady rhythm.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,746

Post#43 » by leolozon » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:12 am

Mr B wrote:
Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:The expectations for the team last year were inflated because of the media narrative that Luka "almost beat" the Clippers. But people forget really that the Clippers are a hot mess. Had the Mavs faced the Jazz or the Nuggets, it would have been an easy 1st round exit.

Uhmmm this is not the same Luka we saw in the bubble. He was cooking PG and Kawhi but now has problems getting around Jokic. At this rate he'll need 2 months to get back to his usual self.

But just in general, games like today we see how important Curry was for this team and people jumped on me when i said Mavs will miss him a lot.

The TOs haven been way up though. 8 TOs in those two games. It doesn't have to be either not turning the ball over or playing good.

His FT% is also going down. So while the big things are getting better, he's "losing" the small things.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#44 » by XTraderXL » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:16 am

Mr B wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:
leolozon wrote:Great passing by Luka in this quarter. Could have had many more.

The team is waking up!

The problem with Luka being so out of shape is he can only play aggressive in spurts. He is not able to play like this the whole game so he is playing too passively half of the time. When he is on, he is still great but that is not enough. Need to stay aggressive the whole game, not just 15 min. This team cant win consistently enough if Luka is not 100%.

You must be watching an entirely different game. Also people usually get tired at the end of the game not the beginning.

Maybe you should check the time stamp next time.

My point was that he is usually more aggressive in the second half, he plays too passively in the first this season. He takes too many possessions off or is simply not focused. Today was the perfect example of what he is capable of when he is on. And with him in better shape, he could play like this for more than just one half.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,970

Post#45 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:43 am

Mr B wrote:
Apz wrote:Will be fun ti see campazzo

He must have stayed at home. I don’t remember seeing him at all.

He was talking and hugged with Luka after the game on the court.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,992

Post#46 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:44 am

leolozon wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Archx wrote:

The TOs haven been way up though. 8 TOs in those two games. It doesn't have to be either not turning the ball over or playing good.

His FT% is also going down. So while the big things are getting better, he's "losing" the small things.

Right but those are not things that will be permanent. He will continue to work and get better. Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#47 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:47 am

XTraderXL wrote:
Mr B wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:

The problem with Luka being so out of shape is he can only play aggressive in spurts. He is not able to play like this the whole game so he is playing too passively half of the time. When he is on, he is still great but that is not enough. Need to stay aggressive the whole game, not just 15 min. This team cant win consistently enough if Luka is not 100%.

You must be watching an entirely different game. Also people usually get tired at the end of the game not the beginning.

My point was that he is usually more aggressive in the second half, he plays too passively in the first this season. He takes too many possessions off or is simply not focused. Today was the perfect example of what he is capable of when he is on. And with him in better shape, he could play like this for more than just one half.

No usually in the first or early in each quarter he looks to get his teammates involved. He’s looking more for the pass than to score. He does need to work on cutting his turn overs down though. At times his shot selection could be better too. Those are things he will improve on though.

aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#48 » by aggerrard » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:06 pm

A bummer i missed the game last night. With those 4 AM games i either have to ruin the next day by staying up all night or go to sleep very early and wake up early to catch the game - or just skip it. Kinds switching between those three depending on the mood and next day schedule.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,548

Post#49 » by Bob8 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:22 pm

Mr B wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:
Mr B wrote:You must be watching an entirely different game. Also people usually get tired at the end of the game not the beginning.

No usually in the first or early in each quarter he looks to get his teammates involved. He’s looking more for the pass than to score. He does need to work on cutting his turn overs down though. At times his shot selection could be better too. Those are things he will improve on though.

Luka's the smallest problems are TOs, which should be obvious by looking to which games he had them the most. Active Luka will always have many TOs, might not be 8, but around 5 is totally normal for him. On the other hand he has to start shooting better for 3 or teams will change D. on him. Better shooting for 3 is essential for his game.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#50 » by arkuo » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:34 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:

Luka's the smallest problems are TOs, which should be obvious by looking to which games he had them the most. Active Luka will always have many TOs, might not be 8, but around 5 is totally normal for him. On the other hand he has to start shooting better for 3 or teams will change D. on him. Better shooting for 3 is essential for his game.

Luka needs to trim his turnover numbers down to circa 2003 Steve Nash levels of just around 2.3 per game.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#51 » by Bob8 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:37 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Mr B wrote:No usually in the first or early in each quarter he looks to get his teammates involved. He’s looking more for the pass than to score. He does need to work on cutting his turn overs down though. At times his shot selection could be better too. Those are things he will improve on though.

Luka needs to trim his turnover numbers down to circa 2003 Steve Nash levels of just around 2.3 per game.

It will never happen. Not with having 25 drives per game, searching people in the corner and 38% usage. Luka is basically making TOs for others. In the end only total numbers of teams TOs counts.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#52 » by Bob8 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:54 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

It will never happen. Not with having 25 drives per game, searching people in the corner and 38% usage. Luka is basically making TOs for others. In the end only total numbers of teams TOs counts.

Mavs are 3rd best team in TOs, so no problems in that department.
Don7
Senior
And1: 820

Post#53 » by Don7 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:17 pm

Last year Mavs ranked second best in TO(12,7).

People need to adjust the brain to new norm.Not that eight is good but 4 per game IS.

Luka is all the offense , and that means great ORtg and that means a lot of turnovers , you take that deal.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#54 » by Bob8 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:40 pm

Don7 wrote:Last year Mavs ranked second best in TO(12,7).

People need to adjust the brain to new norm.Not that eight is good but 4 per game IS.

Luka is all the offense , and that means great ORtg and that means a lot of turnovers , you take that deal.

Yes. It's really simple. Luka had 8 TOs in 43 minutes. That's approximately 9 TOs per 48. Luka is generating vast majority of offense, so it's totally normal that he has vast majority of TOs too. Or someone expects spot up shooters and dunkers should have many TOs? Luka is basically taking others TOs on him. Could he had few less? For sure, at least those 2 travelling could be avoided, but that kind of things happens, especially to someone with that kind of usage.

Yesterday Mavs had 13 TOs in overtime match. Which is pretty solid number. So like I said, Luka's 8 TOs might look a lot, but if he's the only one having them, it's not that big of the problem for the team.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#55 » by Apz » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:13 pm

Not to forgrt his 4 steals
Nikson
Junior
And1: 79

Post#56 » by Nikson » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:28 pm

I can*t believe how many advices for Luka in just one tread. No matter what a stat line looks. Pišurija.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#57 » by fuller4379 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:23 pm

Best win of the season. A comeback win in Denver is tough.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#58 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:50 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Mr B wrote:No usually in the first or early in each quarter he looks to get his teammates involved. He’s looking more for the pass than to score. He does need to work on cutting his turn overs down though. At times his shot selection could be better too. Those are things he will improve on though.

That would absolutely be ideal for him.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#59 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:51 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

This is also true.

Mr B
RealGM

RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Nuggets (10PM EST) 

Post#60 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:54 pm

Nikson wrote:I can*t believe how many advices for Luka in just one tread. No matter what a stat line looks. Pišurija.

We all know Luka is a great player. But even great players can improve on his game. Dirk is a perfect example. That one legged shot he is so famous for, he didn’t develop that until he was close to 30 years old. No matter how good you are you can always improve some aspect of your game.

Return to Dallas Mavericks