ImageImageImage

Rookies

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Re: Rookies 

Post#61 » by boogiezen » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:21 am

Only 2 problems: one, Rick doesn't like rookies and he has no patience in developing them and 2, Donnie sucks at drafting.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Post#62 » by Bob8 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:27 am

Mr B wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
JD45 wrote:
You can't really develop raw athleticism. Players can build muscle and lose fat but length, running and jumping are pretty much fixed (aside from some that improve from greater strength). Shooting is the easiest skill to develop.
And players like Green who shot decent at college 3 pt line (36%) normally develop a decent NBA 3pt shot. So I think his odds of developing into a solid 3&D player are pretty good. His defense already looks adequate (although not good yet). DFS might be a good comparison long term. My biggest concern with him is finishing around the rim. With his size and athleticism, he should be good at that, but he is bad. I am baffled by the problem and not sure why it hasn't been solved already. But, still if he became a player with similar contribution to DFS, that would be a successful draft pick.

Terry is in need of additional strength and muscle. That can usually be added in time. He was a very skilled 3 point shooter in college, so that is almost certainly going to (eventually) show up in his NBA game. His finishing around the basket is already good, and his steals and rebounds hint at some unexpected abilities. He wasn't a playmaker in college, and that is a skill that is often hard to develop. So he could just turn into a shooter off the bench. Thats also a successful draft pick in the 2nd round.

But both players are handicapped by not getting playing time. That adds more risk.

That's exactly why Bagley went in front of Luka. ;)

True but there were other factors as to why Vlade didn’t draft Luka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not only about Vlade, many scouts and teams didn't have Luka first, because you cannot be taught athleticism. In reality, how many unskilled players really become very skilled? Not many.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#63 » by Bob8 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:51 am

Mr B wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Mr B wrote:So expect an NBA first round pick (drafted outside the lottery) to be a finished product? You would have passed on Dirk then.

You missed my point. Drafting athleticism, if not really elite in big body, will bring you mostly disappointment. Players from Europe are totally opposite to Green. They know how to play basketball, have skills but are athletically mostly underdeveloped. I would always take more skilled player, unless he's athletic freak as Zion, Shaq, Giannis...Which NBA player is ceiling for Green? DFS was undrafted.

So you’re problem with Green is that you think he has no skill. Well I disagree. He was a good shooter in college and an excellent defender. His defense in the NBA has been good for a rookie but can get better. Also his shot will get much better the longer he’s in the league. What he has though that you can’t teach is a motor. He is extremely active every time he’s on the court. S. Bey is a very good talent but the one knock on him in the draft was his lack of a constant motor. Give me the guy with skill and a high motor as opposed to the guy who has skill but has a low motor.

I didn't see anything from him yet, except running and moving nonstop. Sure he can become solid/good defender, but he will need to become much bigger scoring threat to have any kind of role in the team.

He had 12/4.5/2.5 with 42/36/77, not exactly great numbers for college. And he made only 1 3 per game, which is not exactly volume shooting.

I doubt very much he will get many opportunities in remainder of the season. Mavs are in difficult situation, no way RC will give rookies many playing time.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#64 » by leolozon » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:14 pm

The team is losing and the young guys aren't being developed. The worst of both world.

I would rather see Green out there than Iwundu. I don't even care if he's 10% worst right now.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#65 » by Bluelabel24 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:51 am

leolozon wrote:The team is losing and the young guys aren't being developed. The worst of both world.

I would rather see Green out there than Iwundu. I don't even care if he's 10% worst right now.

yess.. this exactly. Atleast give the rookies PT so we can see what they got. Green so far has shown to be a steady hustler out there.
Not a big fan of Iwundu, hes already been given a chance on his previous team and didnt show anything substantial.
For the love of god play Tyler Bey and Green some minutes.. Bey is a bigtime athlete with a great wingspan(7'1) can he at least play to show if what he has is either good or bad?, when were down/up big.
I remember during the 2019 draft and we're about to select, I was so happy because Daniel Gafford was still available, was shocked they chose someone else. But now I realized that even if we had gotten Gafford he probably wouldn't play and have the chance to show his skillset for the first 1-2yrs here which sucks.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#66 » by Bob8 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:11 am

Bluelabel24 wrote:
leolozon wrote:The team is losing and the young guys aren't being developed. The worst of both world.

yess.. this exactly. Atleast give the rookies PT so we can see what they got. Green so far has shown to be a steady hustler out there.
Not a big fan of Iwundu, hes already been given a chance on his previous team and didnt show anything substantial.
For the love of god play Tyler Bey and Green some minutes.. Bey is a bigtime athlete with a great wingspan(7'1) can he at least play to show if what he has is either good or bad?, when were down/up big.
I remember during the 2019 draft and we're about to select, I was so happy because Daniel Gafford was still available, was shocked they chose someone else. But now I realized that even if we had gotten Gafford he probably wouldn't play and have the chance to show his skillset for the first 1-2yrs here which sucks.

Green was averaging 20 minutes, when many players were out. He has played 33 minutes against Bulls and what did he show? Mavs are incredible bad in offense even without him. Like things look right now, he might get a lot of playing time, if players don't turn things around soon. But at the moment it's not time for experimenting, they need wins, desperately.
GeorgeGervin
Junior
And1: 331

Post#67 » by GeorgeGervin » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:16 am

Bluelabel24 wrote:

Green was given plenty of playing time when the starters were out, and honestly he did not show anything great. Sure his hustle is terrific but that's it, he's way too limited right now to be a part of that rotation, he doesn't bring enough.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#68 » by Bluelabel24 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:53 am

Bob8 wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:

Green was averaging 20 minutes, when many players were out. He has played 33 minutes against Bulls and what did he show? Mavs are incredible bad in offense even without him. Like things look right now, he might get a lot of playing time, if players don't turn things around soon. But at the moment it's not time for experimenting, they need wins, desperately.

of course im not suggesting you play them when games are close. thats why i said when were up/down big. as for green, i think that is a good thing cuz at least we have some kind of idea as to what he can do now, what his strengths/weaknesses are.
Thats why I also didn't mention Terry cuz i think he is years away from being able to contribute, has to work on maturing his body first, 170lbs is way too light imo.
Bey and Green are different because physically i think they are ready. Both possess great length and physical attributes.
first few games green was all hustle and limited on the offensive end, but the past few 2-3games hes shown improvement on that area which is great considering it has only been a 8-game stretch for him.

Colorado’s Tyler Bey set an NBA combine record for forwards with a 43.5 inch max vertical:
6’6” without shoes
6’7” with shoes
7’1.25” wingspan
8’9.5” standing reach
43.5” max vert
another added bonus would be that it could motivate the main rotation guys. it can be a subtle way to say" hey you better show hustle and heart out there or this guy could take your minutes".
leolozon
General Manager

Post#69 » by leolozon » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:20 pm

GeorgeGervin wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:

Green was given plenty of playing time when the starters were out, and honestly he did not show anything great. Sure his hustle is terrific but that's it, he's way too limited right now to be a part of that rotation, he doesn't bring enough.

You are being impatient and then you contradict yourself. "Green was given "plenty of playing time and did not show anything great". But then you say that his hustle is terrific... So he did show something great. He has great energy and hustle, he has also shown flashes of potential on some plays.

As for "plenty of playing time", he has played about 200 minutes in his NBA career. How is that plenty? Most rookies need time to develop and 200 minutes is clearly not enough.

The team is going nowhere this year. They were/are probably a first round exit unless KP becomes an all--star player, which has nothing to do with the 9th-10th player on the team. This is about the next 3-4 years and the Mavs have been missing opportunities after opportunies, including developing the rookies.

Where will the team be in 3-4 years? Playing Trey Burke and James Johnson? Two guys who aren't even helping them win in the present?

Oh yeah, and the Mavs lost by 16 against the Bulls and Green is the only one who didn't have a negative +/-. It could mean nothing, but I wouldn't say he showed nothing, maybe that energy has an impact on other players. And the team clearly needs energy and hustle right now.
GeorgeGervin
Junior
And1: 331

Post#70 » by GeorgeGervin » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:51 pm

leolozon wrote:
GeorgeGervin wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:yess.. this exactly. Atleast give the rookies PT so we can see what they got. Green so far has shown to be a steady hustler out there.

You are so impatient and then you contradict yourself. "Green was given "plenty of playing time and did not show anything great". But then you say that his hustle is terrific... So he did show something great. He has great energy and hustle, he has also shown flashes of potential on some plays.

As for "plenty of playing time", he has played about 200 minutes in his NBA career. How is that plenty? Most rookies need time to develop and 200 minutes is clearly not enough.

The team is going nowhere this year. They were/are probably a first round exit unless KP becomes an all--star player, which has nothing to do with the 9th-10th player on the team. This is about the next 3-4 years and the Mavs have been missing opportunities after opportunies, including developing the rookies.

Where will the team be in 3-4 years? Playing Trey Burke and James Johnson? Two guys who aren't even helping them win in the present?

Oh yeah, and the Mavs lost by 16 against the Bulls and Green is the only one who didn't have a negative +/-. It could mean nothing, but I wouldn't say he showed nothing, maybe that energy as an impact on other players. And the team clearly needs energy and hustle right now.

Well I can rephrase it : the only good thing he showed was hustle.
Maybe I'm being impatient but to me it looks like it's not enough to become a impactful player on a contender. I hope I'm wrong though, but I don't see anything special in Green's game apart from that hustle. But maybe he has great work ethic and will become much better than what I predict.

Not saying he should not get playing time, but he's not good enough to be part of the rotation.

Oh and sure that team is going nowhere (1st round would be good) but they still need some wins to build chemistry.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#71 » by leolozon » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:05 pm

GeorgeGervin wrote:
leolozon wrote:
GeorgeGervin wrote:

You are so impatient and then you contradict yourself. "Green was given "plenty of playing time and did not show anything great". But then you say that his hustle is terrific... So he did show something great. He has great energy and hustle, he has also shown flashes of potential on some plays.

Oh yeah, and the Mavs lost by 16 against the Bulls and Green is the only one who didn't have a negative +/-. It could mean nothing, but I wouldn't say he showed nothing, maybe that energy as an impact on other players. And the team clearly needs energy and hustle right now.

Maybe I'm being impatient but to me it looks like it's not enough to become a impactful player on a contender. I hope I'm wrong though, but I don't see anything special in Green's game apart from that hustle. But maybe he has great work ethic and will become much better than what I predict.

Not saying he should not get playing time, but he's not good enough to be part of the rotation.

Oh and sure that team is going nowhere (1st round would be good) but they still need some wins to build chemistry.

And I'm not saying he can be an impactful player. But it would be nice if he had some opportuny to become one.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#72 » by Bob8 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:39 pm

leolozon wrote:
GeorgeGervin wrote:
leolozon wrote:

And I'm not saying he can be an impactful player. But it would be nice if he had some opportuny to become one.

Ok, instead of whom would you play him? Everyone will be back next game, whose minutes will Green take?
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#73 » by Apz » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:11 pm

Young guys need different amount of time to get into the nba game. Feels like, think it was that awful loss vs jazz, he got a few min and all of sudden he hit his 3, hit his nidrange and so on. We will see, time will tell
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#74 » by ejs78 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 11:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#75 » by arkuo » Fri Feb 5, 2021 3:29 am

Apz wrote:Young guys need different amount of time to get into the nba game. Feels like, think it was that awful loss vs jazz, he got a few min and all of sudden he hit his 3, hit his nidrange and so on. We will see, time will tell

This is true. Especially without a proper training camp this season, the young guys would really look extra bad playing against pros.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,019

Post#76 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#77 » by ejs78 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:38 pm

Green & Bey have been as well
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Bob8
General Manager

Post#78 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 4:03 pm

I see that Green had similar to Nba his 3-points performance in G-league. Very low volume and very low %.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#79 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed May 12, 2021 6:36 pm

But Tyler Bey? He looks trash but simple size I know....
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,418

Post#80 » by Mavrelous » Wed May 12, 2021 6:52 pm

Yeah, he hasn't shown anything resembling talent, Hinton looks better, but he also doesn't look that great
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks