ImageImageImage

Donnie Nelson needs to go... Wasted Dirk career and is about to Waste Luka career

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Re: Donnie Nelson needs to go... Wasted Dirk career and is about to Waste Luka career 

Post#21 » by jpengland » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:50 am

dirkforpres wrote:I don’t have a problem with Donnie.... it’s hard to come up with many trades he’s actually lost. Carlisle sucks though, I can’t wait for the day Cuban finally wakes up and fires him

FYI Carlisle is currently tied in a vote for 2nd best coach in the league on the General Board..
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Donnie Nelson needs to go... Wasted Dirk career and is about to Waste Luka career 

Post#22 » by arkuo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:59 am

ozwizard8 wrote:Dallas needs to build a team organically with draft/trades etc.
For Dirk years problem was trying to win every year. Instead of piling future assets, FO tried to help the team with short-term moves.

Problems arise when the owner vetoes decisions made by people he hired for the job. The moment Cuban decided to place his proverbial balls on the table and vetoed drafting Giannis and opted to sign vets every year when he sealed Dirk's fate in Dallas. You let the people tasked to do the job, do the job instead of being the smartest guy in the room thinking it's shark tank. He's no Warren Buffet.

Now it's still signing vets with expiring contracts every season until he hits the jackpot. Which would be God knows when. :roll:
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#23 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:44 pm

jpengland wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:I don’t have a problem with Donnie.... it’s hard to come up with many trades he’s actually lost. Carlisle sucks though, I can’t wait for the day Cuban finally wakes up and fires him

FYI Carlisle is currently tied in a vote for 2nd best coach in the league on the General Board..

Yeah and it’s ridiculous. I’ve accepted that he won’t ever get fired, I firmly believe we won’t ever get out of the first round again while he’s in charge. His rotations are an embarrassment
FIRE JASON KIDD
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#24 » by jpengland » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:17 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
jpengland wrote:

Yeah and it’s ridiculous. I’ve accepted that he won’t ever get fired, I firmly believe we won’t ever get out of the first round again while he’s in charge. His rotations are an embarrassment

Ah, the old 'he doesn't play the players I would play' chestnut uttered by fans of literally every team, under every coach.

But yes, it's everybody else who is ridiculous, not you.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,929

Post#25 » by Archx » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:39 pm

I think Rick further enabled or unlocked Doncic's talent and gave him free hands so that he can play up to his full potential. But at the same time he is still keeping him under control. And i think a lot of young and talented players need a coach like Rick. I often scratch my head at his sub patterns but i still do appreciate everything he does for the team. He is not shy at making adjustements or switching players if they are not performing well. We saw in the playoffs how he was countering Doc but unfortunately Mavs simply ran out of players towards the end due to injuries.

It's a lot harder to judge Donnie because we have no clue what goes on behind closed doors and how much input does Cuban have. We've seen in the past that Mark had a strong voice but we have also seen Donnie doing some good things with the roster.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#26 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:44 pm

jpengland wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
jpengland wrote:

Ah, the old 'he doesn't play the players I would play' chestnut uttered by fans of literally every team, under every coach.

But yes, it's everybody else who is ridiculous, not you.

I’m talking about defensive rotations, not player substitutions. Instead of getting on your knees for Carlisle, how about you explain how Dwight Powell guarding Anthony Davis is a winning recipe
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#27 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:15 pm

You might as well give up. Nelson or Carlisle aren’t going anywhere. Cuban has a great relationship with both. Luka also isn’t going anywhere. His rookie deal will keep him in Dallas for at least the first what 7 years of his NBA career. The team will be better by then and Luka will retire a Maverick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#28 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:28 pm

arkuo wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Dallas needs to build a team organically with draft/trades etc.
For Dirk years problem was trying to win every year. Instead of piling future assets, FO tried to help the team with short-term moves.

Problems arise when the owner vetoes decisions made by people he hired for the job. The moment Cuban decided to place his proverbial balls on the table and vetoed drafting Giannis and opted to sign vets every year when he sealed Dirk's fate in Dallas. You let the people tasked to do the job, do the job instead of being the smartest guy in the room thinking it's shark tank. He's no Warren Buffet.

Now it's still signing vets with expiring contracts every season until he hits the jackpot. Which would be God knows when. :roll:

That's a good point as well. Cuban is not perfect either and he had a role in most of the mistakes.
But I think my point about the potential of the Mavs franchise in the modern NBA is valid. Even if Mavs drafted Giannis, he wouldn't become a star player until Dirk fades. After that Mavs would have Giannis and role players. Similar situation with the current team. It's just not easy to build a contender in today's league. In the last two seasons, we saw a lot of players moving to Los Angeles, New York. Teaming up with other star players brings more benefits for players compared to retiring in the same franchise.
D.Lillard would get more props from public if he won a title with Lakers as 3rd option than what he does currently.
B.Beal snubbed from all-star team, all-NBA teams. Those things make you lose money on the contract. On top of that, you probably get less endorsement, less income from your shoe deals etc.

Ideally, you'd sign players like Seth Curry more often and try to trade them for better assets.
Take bad contracts, players who underperform like THJ for KP was also a good bet. Mavs FO should work on those type of deals if they cannot find good FA signing oppurtunities.
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#29 » by Lord Cuban » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:07 am

Donnie is a **** GM and has no idea what he is doing.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#30 » by agentofatlas » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:06 am

I agree. He is the definition of a mediocre GM.

Return to Dallas Mavericks