ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Nuggets (8:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Nuggets (8:30PM EST) 

Post#101 » by arkuo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:52 am

ozwizard8 wrote:CP3 did not add much to the Houston team when Harden was on the floor. And he was still in prime back then. Now those days are past. This team does not need another very undersized guard on the floor. Brunson/Burke is doing an ok job as a small-sized guard.

Beal would be great. Kawhi should have an player option this year. If he opts out, he would be even better. But I guess those are pipe dreams. Having cap space does not mean much for those players.

If a player like B.Beal/Kawhi wants to come here, Mavs FO should trade any player/salary out other than Doncic.
Lets say we don't have cap space at 2022 but Beal wants to come. You can trade THJ or even some of the KP-Rich-DFS-Maxi if needed. Add picks on it to unload salary if it means you get Beal for free.

I know Crowder is older but after seeing his contract after a great year with deep playoff push at bubble, I would not want to pay $20m for THJ. Mavs team and Carlisle is great to increase offensive efficiency of players, especially scorers. Its like Bellinelli, Danny Green situation of Spurs. You can find a replacement for 3pt shooting of THJ for less than $20m/year. If he was good on D, I would consider to give that $20m but he is not.

For Beal/Giannis or all others, I think Mavs should keep an eye on trades. I would trade KP+picks for Giannis if Bucks were taking it. Maybe not now but when any of those players get unsettled, there could be a chance.

Beal should want to come play with two Europeans first and foremost. It's different. They have different groups. But hey if Beal wants to come to Dallas I'm all for it. Cuban needs a better plan than clearing salary every season and coming up short in free agency every season. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. He's become a laughing stock ever since that Deandre Jordan fiasco. It's only now he has good PR people around him with articles about helping Delonte West coming out in the media and so fourth. It paints a really saintly image, but it takes time for image to change in players' circles especially if he has been clowned around before. The players talk amongst themselves.

Crowder turned down the Mavs offer last free agency, he prefers to play in PHX over Dallas. Kawhi is really nice but is a longshot. The Clippers may suck but it still means working for the richest owner in the NBA. That holds some weight.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#102 » by Bob8 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:59 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
12 to 20 is a long way. Somewhere in between is probably his fair price.

The question is what Mavs does with rest of the money. I'm all in if you get better player for THJ, but that won't be enough. Mavs need additional shooters and there just isn't many of them available in the market. So my guess is, they will have overpay THJ or someone else. THJ is not ideal, but he's still bringing 17.5 points with solid efficiency.

Im not sure if the Mavs can make space for $40M this summer, but if they can, then just ask CP3 to opt out and pay him the same amount he will be opting out from in PHX. His contract just lasts until 2022 anyway. But adding CP3 can stabilize a young team like this to help them win in clutch time. And he is also very valuable come play off time. Can play off and on ball so Luka doesnt have to dribble 35 feet away and take 3 pointers at 27%. They did this with Deandre Jordan and the Clippers. They asked him to opt out of LA, and paid him the same amount he would be opting out from so he doesnt lose anything.

I guess it boils down to THJ at 4 or 5 year contract. or CP3 at an expensive 1 year deal. A lot of people have observed Cuban here all these years, and I think he has the tendency to throw a mulligan and punt for CP3 for 1 year and try again and bet on the 2022 free agency. (Bradley Beal and Aaron Gordon are UFA in 2022)

CP3 did not add much to the Houston team when Harden was on the floor. And he was still in prime back then. Now those days are past. This team does not need another very undersized guard on the floor. Brunson/Burke is doing an ok job as a small-sized guard.

Beal would be great. Kawhi should have an player option this year. If he opts out, he would be even better. But I guess those are pipe dreams. Having cap space does not mean much for those players.

If a player like B.Beal/Kawhi wants to come here, Mavs FO should trade any player/salary out other than Doncic.
Lets say we don't have cap space at 2022 but Beal wants to come. You can trade THJ or even some of the KP-Rich-DFS-Maxi if needed. Add picks on it to unload salary if it means you get Beal for free.

I know Crowder is older but after seeing his contract after a great year with deep playoff push at bubble, I would not want to pay $20m for THJ. Mavs team and Carlisle is great to increase offensive efficiency of players, especially scorers. Its like Bellinelli, Danny Green situation of Spurs. You can find a replacement for 3pt shooting of THJ for less than $20m/year. If he was good on D, I would consider to give that $20m but he is not.

For Beal/Giannis or all others, I think Mavs should keep an eye on trades. I would trade KP+picks for Giannis if Bucks were taking it. Maybe not now but when any of those players get unsettled, there could be a chance.

All this superstars are great, but won't happen. Mavs should go with more realistic way. Surrounding Luka with shooters, who are decent defenders, or good defenders, who are decent shooters. Now Mavs look as one of the worst shooting teams, which is totally opposite of what a team with Luka should be. And players, who are missing, won't change that much. They should somehow find players like M.Bridges and not dream about Kawhi/Giannis.

I don't know why people like Crowder? He's scoring a lot less than THJ with worse %. He had only one year with great %, last year, but looking at his career numbers, he's below average shooter. THJ is making 3.1 3s with 38.5 %, second most 3s in Mavs has Luka with 2.1. Take THJ out and Mavs would be even bigger joke in that department. He's easily second best players of the Mavs in this season. His numbers and efficiency are very solid. Is that enough for 20 mio? I don't know where that number even came from. But I know that Mavs desperately need players, who can shoot a lot with 3pts % near 40. 15 or 20 mio, you need them. If you can get better and cheaper players you for should let THJ go. But who are they? How realistically we can expect from them to come in Dallas?
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#103 » by Apz » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:45 pm

We got a few that can shoot and defend, but since they in the protocol it looks worse. Klebers 47% from 3 would be nice, and dfs and richardson hits like 99% more shots then iwundu and green. Not rven mrntioning the defense they add. Mean, we had 3rd best defense even withiut kp but now we letting up 70 1st hakf more then once. We need those guys to secure the perimeter and be threats from 3.

Im not demanfing them to come back in game shape right away, its soon 3 weeks they been locked up and hace no idea if they been in shaoe to train at home or what stuff they have had available there. Would be very surprused if they isbt gassed fast
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#104 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:38 pm

Bob8 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Im not sure if the Mavs can make space for $40M this summer, but if they can, then just ask CP3 to opt out and pay him the same amount he will be opting out from in PHX. His contract just lasts until 2022 anyway. But adding CP3 can stabilize a young team like this to help them win in clutch time. And he is also very valuable come play off time. Can play off and on ball so Luka doesnt have to dribble 35 feet away and take 3 pointers at 27%. They did this with Deandre Jordan and the Clippers. They asked him to opt out of LA, and paid him the same amount he would be opting out from so he doesnt lose anything.

I guess it boils down to THJ at 4 or 5 year contract. or CP3 at an expensive 1 year deal. A lot of people have observed Cuban here all these years, and I think he has the tendency to throw a mulligan and punt for CP3 for 1 year and try again and bet on the 2022 free agency. (Bradley Beal and Aaron Gordon are UFA in 2022)

CP3 did not add much to the Houston team when Harden was on the floor. And he was still in prime back then. Now those days are past. This team does not need another very undersized guard on the floor. Brunson/Burke is doing an ok job as a small-sized guard.

All this superstars are great, but won't happen. Mavs should go with more realistic way. Surrounding Luka with shooters, who are decent defenders, or good defenders, who are decent shooters. Now Mavs look as one of the worst shooting teams, which is totally opposite of what a team with Luka should be. And players, who are missing, won't change that much. They should somehow find players like M.Bridges and not dream about Kawhi/Giannis.

I don't know why people like Crowder? He's scoring a lot less than THJ with worse %. He had only one year with great %, last year, but looking at his career numbers, he's below average shooter. THJ is making 3.1 3s with 38.5 %, second most 3s in Mavs has Luka with 2.1. Take THJ out and Mavs would be even bigger joke in that department. He's easily second best players of the Mavs in this season. His numbers and efficiency are very solid. Is that enough for 20 mio? I don't know where that number even came from. But I know that Mavs desperately need players, who can shoot a lot with 3pts % near 40. 15 or 20 mio, you need them. If you can get better and cheaper players you for should let THJ go. But who are they? How realistically we can expect from them to come in Dallas?

Its kinda strange that you use Crowder's career numbers instead of last year. I mean THJ did not perform at the NBA level for a lot of years in his career. And the only season that he played like a starter was at Mavs, basically the last season and this one.
I like THJ but I am not sure if he should pay him a contract like 90m/4 year. Players like R.Hood, J.Clarkson etc are usually available for less. Mavs signed Seth Curry for less as well. I would rather take my chance than giving THJ a contract that'd massively cripple Mavs for the next 4 years. Carlisle is just great. The level of production he got from Trey Burke shows how great coach Carlisle on offense. Burke is worse at defense compared to THJ so he is not a replacement but I think it shows that you can find good 3pt shooters for cheap. Crowder's defense is just great and he worths $10m contract as a 3&D player.

Surrounding Doncic with shooters sounds good but I'd rather focus on 3&D players. Similar to Lebron's support crew, you need wing players that you can trust on defense for playoffs and also for clutch time in regular season.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#105 » by Bob8 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:49 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:CP3 did not add much to the Houston team when Harden was on the floor. And he was still in prime back then. Now those days are past. This team does not need another very undersized guard on the floor. Brunson/Burke is doing an ok job as a small-sized guard.

Its kinda strange that you use Crowder's career numbers instead of last year. I mean THJ did not perform at the NBA level for a lot of years in his career. And the only season that he played like a starter was at Mavs, basically the last season and this one.
I like THJ but I am not sure if he should pay him a contract like 90m/4 year. Players like R.Hood, J.Clarkson etc are usually available for less. Mavs signed Seth Curry for less as well. I would rather take my chance than giving THJ a contract that'd massively cripple Mavs for the next 4 years. Carlisle is just great. The level of production he got from Trey Burke shows how great coach Carlisle on offense. Burke is worse at defense compared to THJ so he is not a replacement but I think it shows that you can find good 3pt shooters for cheap. Crowder's defense is just great and he worths $10m contract as a 3&D player.

Surrounding Doncic with shooters sounds good but I'd rather focus on 3&D players. Similar to Lebron's support crew, you need wing players that you can trust on defense for playoffs and also for clutch time in regular season.

90 million? I don’t know from where those numbers come? We started with 12 and I said he’s worth more, now we suddenly doubled first number. Market will tell how much is he worth, he would need fantastic year to come even close to 90.

I believe THJ is important member of Mavs team, if you let him walk, you better have adequate replacement. I personally don’t see many shooters, who are better and cheaper than him.

I mentioned Crowder’s carrier stats, because he was shooting vast majority of his carrier under 35%, he’s shooting under 35% this year too. He had great % last year in Miami, but he played only 20 games there. Just small sample data, bigger tells us, he’s below average shooter.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#106 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:00 am

Bob8 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

90 million? I don’t know from where those numbers come? We started with 12 and I said he’s worth more, now we suddenly doubled first number. Market will tell how much is he worth, he would need fantastic year to come even close to 90.

I believe THJ is important member of Mavs team, if you let him walk, you better have adequate replacement. I personally don’t see many shooters, who are better and cheaper than him.

I mentioned Crowder’s carrier stats, because he was shooting vast majority of his carrier under 35%, he’s shooting under 35% this year too. He had great % last year in Miami, but he played only 20 games there. Just small sample data, bigger tells us, he’s below average shooter.

Hardaway Jr career 3pt : .355
Crowder career 3pt: .340
Also, mind that Crowder wasn't able to shoot anything in his first years. And Hardaway's best performance is under Carlisle. There is a night&day difference for Tim. Tim is obviously a better scorer but 3&D players are available for less.

I do not have a black-white opinion on Hardaway Jr.
I would like Timmy to stay if he's signing for a $20m/2 year deal.
I wouldn't want to pay $70m/4 year.

No one knows what is his exact market situation. This is up to speculation right now. I just say I would not want to sign him on long-term deal north of $15m/year.

I am ok with any FA signing if the player stays as a positive asset. Seth Curry's contract made him a positive asset. Meanwhile, Powell's contract does not seem good.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#107 » by Bob8 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:24 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Its kinda strange that you use Crowder's career numbers instead of last year. I mean THJ did not perform at the NBA level for a lot of years in his career. And the only season that he played like a starter was at Mavs, basically the last season and this one.

Also, mind that Crowder wasn't able to shoot anything in his first years. And Hardaway's best performance is under Carlisle. There is a night&day difference for Tim. Tim is obviously a better scorer but 3&D players are available for less.

No one knows what is his exact market situation. This is up to speculation right now. I just say I would not want to sign him on long-term deal north of $15m/year.

I am ok with any FA signing if the player stays as a positive asset. Seth Curry's contract made him a positive asset. Meanwhile, Powell's contract does not seem good.

The difference between Crowder and Hardaway is, that Hardaway has second season in a row with good shooting %. Crowder didn't have good even last full season only 20 games in Miami. Big difference is in their scoring too, Hardaway scores a lot more. Hardaway has those 3 points % on bigger volume too.

Looking at Mavs games, Hardaway at the moment looks the only one beside Luka, who should stay. Said but true.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#108 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:22 am

Bob8 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

The difference between Crowder and Hardaway is, that Hardaway has second season in a row with good shooting %. Crowder didn't have good even last full season only 20 games in Miami. Big difference is in their scoring too, Hardaway scores a lot more. Hardaway has those 3 points % on bigger volume too.

Looking at Mavs games, Hardaway at the moment looks the only one beside Luka, who should stay. Said but true.

You're getting carried away from the main point. Its about signing player/managing cap space that'd help to compete for a title.
Kings/Hornets or some other team can offer a crazy deal like max contract for Hardaway. Would you still say he should stay?
I can't see any team competing for a title when they have Hardaway as 2nd option with a huge contract. Even as a 3rd option he might not be enough for a title run.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#109 » by Bob8 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:21 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Hardaway Jr career 3pt : .355

You're getting carried away from the main point. Its about signing player/managing cap space that'd help to compete for a title.
Kings/Hornets or some other team can offer a crazy deal like max contract for Hardaway. Would you still say he should stay?
I can't see any team competing for a title when they have Hardaway as 2nd option with a huge contract. Even as a 3rd option he might not be enough for a title run.

Nobody says, we should give him 90/4. But I believe Mavs should start to build a team around Luka and stop dreaming about some max players, who will never come here. THJ is getting 19 mio and I believe he's worth something like that. Let say Mavs leave him walk. Please write it down, how next year's roster should look, without utopian players?

Return to Dallas Mavericks