ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Jazz (9PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,748

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Jazz (9PM EST) 

Post#21 » by leolozon » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:05 am

ejs78 wrote:Luka with an ice bag on his knee. Prolly needs season ending surgery (I'm just trying to fit in )

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Hard to feel positive so far. They can't stop anything. I can only watch the first half too. I was hoping for something nice before I went to bed. Oh well...

I notice that when Luka doesn't rebound the ball, it's often not going to be an exciting game for him. He has to be active on the boards.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,921

Post#22 » by Archx » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:09 am

Jazz 8 OREB .. Mavs = 12 TOTAL rebs... Is this real life? People still think they don't need Drummond? At least some toughnes under the rim and hustle?

Oh and how is KP -29 in 14 minutes? Jesus...
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#23 » by Apz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:46 am

Ofc we dobt need drummond. Do you want 30m ob the bench in the playoffs? The rebounding in this game is that everyone looks so unintrested anf slow. Doesbt help when utah just cant miss shots. Ingles and clarkson is the biggest issue. Im more surprised that utah actually missed 12 shots then mavs havibg 12 rebounds
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#24 » by fuller4379 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:07 am

We need to get Luka some help if we want to keep him.
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,615

Post#25 » by oldshoolballer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:10 am

fuller4379 wrote:We need to get Luka some help if we want to keep him.

this roster is trash do the Mavs even make the playoffs
Archx
RealGM

Post#26 » by Archx » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:18 am

oldshoolballer wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:We need to get Luka some help if we want to keep him.

this roster is trash do the Mavs even make the playoffs

Going to be hard. Every good team has something that Mavs don't and that's rim protection and inside presence. Playing guys that can just stretch the floor can only bring you so far. Top teams are again proving that you absolutely need a rim protector and someone that can grab rebounds.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#27 » by boogiezen » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:20 am

I was waiting for Dallas to sign a solid big to help them before the season. But nada. Carlisle just like small guards. And Donnie sucks at drafting.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,813

Post#28 » by dirkforpres » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:24 am

boogiezen wrote:I was waiting for Dallas to sign a solid big to help them before the season. But nada. Carlisle just like small guards. And Donnie sucks at drafting.

Don’t let lil Rick Carlisle jr (jpengland) see this. He won’t stand for any Carlisle slander
FIRE JASON KIDD
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#29 » by BlueSan » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:15 am

Jazz play back to back, miss two important player one of them a star. Still, easily win this. Yeah, this ain't good. More is expected of Porzingis and more from the bench guys and Luka needs to go to the next level Kobe/Jordan like to be able to somewhat compete. So we are talking about 40 points a night aggressive as f on offense.
Problem is, he is one of the rare who actually plays defense also and he ain't the fittest dude currently also, so that stuff probably is even impossible until next season if he gets himself into real shape. Meanwhile don't expect this trend to turn.
Even if this team is capable of playing better and it is the Covid-19/ Returning after knee surgeries that it is blurring the real picture.
Don't expect that to change till at least mid-February and I believe that by that time it will be too late, with the shortened season and all.

I also have to say last year and this I don't really like the gameplay they are executing and live/die by the 3pts mentality as well.

Losing is not fun, losing takes away from the team spirit and once you fall into such a pit, it is amazing if you get out of it, but more likely you just keep on falling and falling.
People always want clean slates before they make a change. A clean slate, in this case, = being a new season and if they don't turn it around COVID-19 excuses or not. Rick will have to take the fall and I think even leave the organization.

Or do you want someone else to take the blame and fall for it and don't tell me bench players getting moved is it..
Pofukauskas
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#30 » by Pofukauskas » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:08 am

LOL this sub told me Gobert was this overpaid archaic big that is a liability on offense, can’t be played in the playoffs, wouldn’t fit in Mavs offense etc. And then it seems everytime I look at the Jazz boxscore he’s got the highest +- on the team and is alone a defensive system of a team.
And don’t even get me started on Pussingis. This guy and every single fanboy of his scrub ass is delusional if they think he’s anything more than a servicable big. He’s worth exactly what Christian Wood is getting paid and not a cent more. If he would be able to stay on the court consistently that is. This pussy getting a max is a joke. I’d rather have Gobert on 50 mil a year than this pussy on 20 mil. At least you would have the defensive side of the ball fixed with him on the team.
Archx
RealGM

Post#31 » by Archx » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:11 am

BlueSan wrote:Jazz play back to back, miss two important player one of them a star. Still, easily win this. Yeah, this ain't good. More is expected of Porzingis and more from the bench guys and Luka needs to go to the next level Kobe/Jordan like to be able to somewhat compete. So we are talking about 40 points a night aggressive as f on offense.
Problem is, he is one of the rare who actually plays defense also and he ain't the fittest dude currently also, so that stuff probably is even impossible until next season if he gets himself into real shape. Meanwhile don't expect this trend to turn.
Even if this team is capable of playing better and it is the Covid-19/ Returning after knee surgeries that it is blurring the real picture.
Don't expect that to change till at least mid-February and I believe that by that time it will be too late, with the shortened season and all.

I also have to say last year and this I don't really like the gameplay they are executing and live/die by the 3pts mentality as well.

Losing is not fun, losing takes away from the team spirit and once you fall into such a pit, it is amazing if you get out of it, but more likely you just keep on falling and falling.
People always want clean slates before they make a change. A clean slate, in this case, = being a new season and if they don't turn it around COVID-19 excuses or not. Rick will have to take the fall and I think even leave the organization.

Or do you want someone else to take the blame and fall for it and don't tell me bench players getting moved is it..

I don't know what's going on with KP but i'm going to sound like a NYK fan right now. He just doesn't look that smart... It's now 7 games in and he is still doing same dumb things as he was before or even last season. The only difference was, he was making some of those dumb shots and now he is bricking and can't move his feet under the rim. He was absolutely abused in Gobert/Ingles PnR last game. And when Mavs slowly started to gain momentum, he started bombing those long contested shots early in the shot clock. Makes no sense. Funny thing is, he was quite successful when he got his ass close to the basket. I don't know....

Their entire offense looks like they have no real plan. Is losing Silas really such a big deal? Or Curry? After 18 games i still see no fluidity in their game. Even bench, which is mostly the same, is absolutely trash.

I am aware there is still a ton of games to be played but just judging by the effort and how they are playing, it's not even injuries or COVID that worries me, it's simply same dumb things game after game.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,748

Post#32 » by leolozon » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:25 am

I keep hearing that KP is this really good defender. His body type suggests that he should be able to stop someone like Gobert, yet he was abused and couldn't do anything.

I'm honestly still waiting to see this good defender. What I'm seeing is a good shot blocker, who's not strong enough to hold his position and who keeps giving away offensive rebounds.

Once you add the fact that he needs the ball in a very specific setting to be efficient... I'm not hopeful about the future.

That first half was so brutal.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#33 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:30 am

boogiezen wrote:I was waiting for Dallas to sign a solid big to help them before the season. But nada. Carlisle just like small guards. And Donnie sucks at drafting.

Thanks to abysmal performances by J.Richardson, the team needs a creator, offensive spark from the bench almost all game. Since Mavs don't have anyone to create offense other than Burke-Brunson, Carlisle uses them. I am pretty sure he would prefer having Seth Curry who can defend sg/sf position better than Burke. And perhaps paying 18m for J.Johnson is not great too.
Blaming Carlisle is just BS. He was the reason the team overperformed last season.
After he gets the roster back and covid players-KP gets in a form, Carlisle can find a way to increase their efficiency to %100 like last season.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#34 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:42 am

So far in the season, J.Rich seems awful for Mavs. Cant provide anything on-ball or off-ball for offense compared to Seth did.

KP coming back from knee surgery looks stagnant, rusty as hell. He is getting pushed easier compared to last season so he cant finish his turnaround jump shots at the high post. He doesn't try to penetrate or roll after picks either. Lots of rushed, off-balance 3s as well. They are just lazy shots.
I never liked his 30-35ft 3pt shots that he started to take frequently for Mavs. It always looked kinda rushed shot and now that shot-mechanic looks even more rushed. In general, it's so lazy to take a 3pt shot, pick n pop game from that distance. I don't think there is any player that can challenge KP's shot after a pick&pop play. It's really unnecessary to have that at 30-35 ft distance with a rushed motion. I don't care if he can make it or not that is not a good shot.

I think it was a good bet for Mavs to try for KP trade+extension. However, this experiment might end up failing. FO should consider KP's injuries and on-court rehabbing performance for each year. Perhaps Mavs should re-organize to have someone other than KP to have that 2nd-star role. If you want to trade KP, you'd need to let him get his legs back and match his last February performance before trading though.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#35 » by arkuo » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 am

the team needs seasoning it seems. Too young and too inexperienced. They just need to play out a few years and wait for Lebron and KD to retire. That's when they peak.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#36 » by arkuo » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 am

ozwizard8 wrote:So far in the season, J.Rich seems awful for Mavs. Cant provide anything on-ball or off-ball for offense compared to Seth did.

At this point, J-Rich might just opt into his cheap contract. That's the silver lining there

Return to Dallas Mavericks