ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Suns - part II - (Monday 8:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Suns - part II - (Monday 8:30PM EST) 

Post#41 » by Apz » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:16 am

Archx wrote:KP was getting killed on CP3 PnR switches. I can't believe Maxi didn't get more minutes in the 4th Q. He was absolutely amazing in the 1st half. And who the hell drew up that last play ffs...Put Luka or KP on the block and work from there, instead he had to go all the way to the mid court almost to get a shot off...

Well, he has been out for a month. Cang expect him to have his lungs back in the first game. Will probably add some for each game the coming week.

Overall most looked a lot better. I think we still gog some unluck with bounces and stuff. Cant say anything about the end. Kldber locks down cp3 and booker hits an amazibg 3 with jrich hand right there. And then luka is an inch from winning the game.

Oh well, atleast it feels like light in the end of the tunnel. Even if we lost
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#42 » by leolozon » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:17 am

XTraderXL wrote:
Archx wrote:
Joshrm wrote:Thanks for missed free throw Luka

4 games we win if hit free throws

4 game to over time

What about shooting 32 3-point attempts and making only 31% of them? That 1 FT was the problem, yes.

I think the stats are wrong. As far as I can remember Luka missed 2 FTs. One in the 1st and one in the 2nd. I distinctly remember he was 8/10 at some point which somehow became 9/10 on his next trip to the line. That was very weird to me during the game. Anyone else noticed that or am I crazy?

I noticed the same thing. I also saw that one of his steal was taken away, which I found weird as he seemed to be the one stripping the player, but certainly not as much as a missed FT disappearing.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#43 » by Pinkyring » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:17 am

Is kp just softer than i thought or is it the gsme plan every night to camp him out on the 3 point line despite a pnr switch with a 6'6 guy on him
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,928

Post#44 » by Archx » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:21 am

leolozon wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:
Archx wrote:
What about shooting 32 3-point attempts and making only 31% of them? That 1 FT was the problem, yes.

I think the stats are wrong. As far as I can remember Luka missed 2 FTs. One in the 1st and one in the 2nd. I distinctly remember he was 8/10 at some point which somehow became 9/10 on his next trip to the line. That was very weird to me during the game. Anyone else noticed that or am I crazy?

I noticed the same thing. I also saw that one of his steal was taken away, which I found weird as he seemed to be the one stripping the player, but certainly not as much as a missed FT disappearing.

Every site has him at 10/11. Maybe someone stepped in to the lane too fast? No clue what else could happen...
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#45 » by Absinthe » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:26 am

Some people need a reality check on this board. Phoenix is a middling team with almost no depth. All I’ve heard for weeks is excuses. It was all, “Wait until we get back to full strength.”

This team is at full strength or very close to it. What is more likely: this team overperformed last season or has come back to Earth this season? I know my answer.

What is truly hilarious is the front office. Houston was trying to unload CP3’s massive salary and the Mavs could have had him. But they honestly thought Giannis was walking through the door. Yeah, CP3 is injury prone but he would be the best playmaker and defender Luka has ever played with. No contest. He can pass, shoot, defend, hit free throws, create his own shot, etc. But Curry for Richardson was the big play. Yeah, okay.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#46 » by ejs78 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:26 am

I would say he's semi soft, but where are the pick n rolls we saw last year that led to easy dunks. I really feel Luka is dribbling too much and we get the guys standing around thing.
Pinkyring wrote:Is kp just softer than i thought or is it the gsme plan every night to camp him out on the 3 point line despite a pnr switch with a 6'6 guy on him

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#47 » by XTraderXL » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:32 am

Archx wrote:
leolozon wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:

Every site has him at 10/11. Maybe someone stepped in to the lane too fast? No clue what else could happen...

I think stats will be updated. I just checked play-by-play on NBA.com and at 4:12 left in the 3rd, Luka missed one FT which disappeared. He shot 12 FTs, hit 10 but one missed one is gone from the stat sheet but is visible on play-by-play.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Post#48 » by Apz » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:56 am

Absinthe wrote:Some people need a reality check on this board. Phoenix is a middling team with almost no depth. All I’ve heard for weeks is excuses. It was all, “Wait until we get back to full strength.”

This team is at full strength or very close to it. What is more likely: this team overperformed last season or has come back to Earth this season? I know my answer.

What is truly hilarious is the front office. Houston was trying to unload CP3’s massive salary and the Mavs could have had him. But they honestly thought Giannis was walking through the door. Yeah, CP3 is injury prone but he would be the best playmaker and defender Luka has ever played with. No contest. He can pass, shoot, defend, hit free throws, create his own shot, etc. But Curry for Richardson was the big play. Yeah, okay.

Do realisd there is no such thing as free? 40+m in contracts is a lot and u wonder why they have no depth?

And for the 1000nd time, if u got a chance to get giannis u keep that option open. But I bet if we had spent that cap and giannis not resigned u would have been the loudest about why we didnt save the cap for giannis. Some people just cant be pleased, living in hindsight
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#49 » by arkuo » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:33 am

If KP was getting killed on pick and roll switches, imagine if we had both KP and say, Drummond on the floor. Twp slow footed big men. Opponents will just milk that play everytime. I think Maxi is ok at PF next to KP. He moves his feet well. Cant have two slow big men on the floor at the same time. We need to replace DFS and/or THJ for an upgrade though. The wing position is an important one in today's NBA. You need someone there.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#50 » by Pinkyring » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:43 am

Apz wrote:
Absinthe wrote:Some people need a reality check on this board. Phoenix is a middling team with almost no depth. All I’ve heard for weeks is excuses. It was all, “Wait until we get back to full strength.”

Do realisd there is no such thing as free? 40+m in contracts is a lot and u wonder why they have no depth?

And for the 1000nd time, if u got a chance to get giannis u keep that option open. But I bet if we had spent that cap and giannis not resigned u would have been the loudest about why we didnt save the cap for giannis. Some people just cant be pleased, living in hindsight

Phoenix is not a middling team they have two legit and a solid 3rd we have 1 legit all star and a solid 2nd guy. As for the bs about options open for giannis it's ridiculous u spend the money and upgrade and had giannis wanted to come here im sure mil would have rather a snt and received kp than nothing from another team
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#51 » by Bluelabel24 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:10 am

arkuo wrote:If KP was getting killed on pick and roll switches, imagine if we had both KP and say, Drummond on the floor. Twp slow footed big men. Opponents will just milk that play everytime. I think Maxi is ok at PF next to KP. He moves his feet well. Cant have two slow big men on the floor at the same time. We need to replace DFS and/or THJ for an upgrade though. The wing position is an important one in today's NBA. You need someone there.

same sentiments here.. Ive been really looking hard at DFS and i think thats the position we should upgrade at. Look at what Green or Bey can provide in the meantime while theres no moves/trades yet. DFS is shooting poorly this year and the effort sometimes just isnt enough from him.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#52 » by juanc » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:24 am

At what point are we going to give Luka some "credit" for this s*** of a basketball that the Mavs play? Like one of you wrote here, it's just 1 pass and shoot(if there is a pass), when Luka is in the game. He also can't/won't play offball.
The Mavs are realy trying their best to play like the Harden Rockets. Just awful basketball :S
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#53 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:46 am

dirkforpres wrote:I cannot believe they’ve gone this long without trading for a rebounding big.

That being said, at least they kept it close FWIW
Hassan Whiteside is probably there for the taking.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#54 » by Bob8 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 9:02 am

juanc wrote:At what point are we going to give Luka some "credit" for this s*** of a basketball that the Mavs play? Like one of you wrote here, it's just 1 pass and shoot(if there is a pass), when Luka is in the game. He also can't/won't play offball.
The Mavs are realy trying their best to play like the Harden Rockets. Just awful basketball :S

I agree he played pretty bad yesterday. But they have lost a game again in first half of the 4th, when he was out. Reason is that Richardson looks much better besides Luka, when opponents attention is on Luka. The same goes with Brunson. Rubio would have been much better to run a team, when Luka is on the bench.

Luka doing nothing off ball looks to me as RC idea. Put Luka out with his defender and play 4/4.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#55 » by arkuo » Tue Feb 2, 2021 9:13 am

Luka needs to develop more skill if he were to play like James Harden. Harden can score 60 pts and doesn't shoot 27% from step back threes. He will probably get there in due time. Just not this year. Maybe when Lebron retires.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#56 » by XTraderXL » Tue Feb 2, 2021 9:24 am

Apz wrote:

The problem is they had 0 chance for Giannis. Everyone knew it but Cuban. Half of the league would be in the Giannis trade/FA and he would have never gone to Dallas, no way. They messed up, like they usually do.
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#57 » by reamily » Tue Feb 2, 2021 10:32 am

To be fair, rc's insistence of no post ups is like not milking luka and kps main advantages and may cause his downfall..
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,928

Post#58 » by Archx » Tue Feb 2, 2021 10:44 am

Bob8 wrote:
juanc wrote:At what point are we going to give Luka some "credit" for this s*** of a basketball that the Mavs play? Like one of you wrote here, it's just 1 pass and shoot(if there is a pass), when Luka is in the game. He also can't/won't play offball.

I agree he played pretty bad yesterday. But they have lost a game again in first half of the 4th, when he was out. Reason is that Richardson looks much better besides Luka, when opponents attention is on Luka. The same goes with Brunson. Rubio would have been much better to run a team, when Luka is on the bench.

Luka doing nothing off ball looks to me as RC idea. Put Luka out with his defender and play 4/4.

He was pretty mediocre on offense, looked incredibly uninterested in the 1st half. But he did play great defense, held Bridges to 38% and also Jae to 11 TS%. But is everyone forgetting how this game could have finished differently if DFS just made that open 3 at the end? Luka drove to the rim and found him when defense collapsed but DFS just missed. The unfortunate chain of events that followed then on the other side were quite brutal.

This whole team just simply needs to start making shots, they were 31% from 3 and 43% from the field. That's way below other teams and in close games like these, if they only shot their own season averages they would have won.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#59 » by Bob8 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 11:38 am

Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

He was pretty mediocre on offense, looked incredibly uninterested in the 1st half. But he did play great defense, held Bridges to 38% and also Jae to 11 TS%. But is everyone forgetting how this game could have finished differently if DFS just made that open 3 at the end? Luka drove to the rim and found him when defense collapsed but DFS just missed. The unfortunate chain of events that followed then on the other side were quite brutal.

This whole team just simply needs to start making shots, they were 31% from 3 and 43% from the field. That's way below other teams and in close games like these, if they only shot their own season averages they would have won.

I believe every opponent would have been very happy to let DFS take that shot.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#60 » by Heezzi » Tue Feb 2, 2021 12:22 pm

Bluelabel24 wrote:
arkuo wrote:If KP was getting killed on pick and roll switches, imagine if we had both KP and say, Drummond on the floor. Twp slow footed big men. Opponents will just milk that play everytime. I think Maxi is ok at PF next to KP. He moves his feet well. Cant have two slow big men on the floor at the same time. We need to replace DFS and/or THJ for an upgrade though. The wing position is an important one in today's NBA. You need someone there.

same sentiments here.. Ive been really looking hard at DFS and i think thats the position we should upgrade at. Look at what Green or Bey can provide in the meantime while theres no moves/trades yet. DFS is shooting poorly this year and the effort sometimes just isnt enough from him.

Green isn't going to replace DFS. The should've drafted Saddiq Bey.

Return to Dallas Mavericks