ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Suns - part II - (Monday 8:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Suns - part II - (Monday 8:30PM EST) 

Post#61 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:25 pm

HMFFL wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:I cannot believe they’ve gone this long without trading for a rebounding big.

That being said, at least they kept it close FWIW
Hassan Whiteside is probably there for the taking.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Right. And he’s probably available for a second rounder I’d imagine. Just get somebody in here that can grab double digit rebounds on any given night other than our f***ing point guard
FIRE JASON KIDD
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,029

Post#62 » by Dirk » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:52 pm

juanc wrote:At what point are we going to give Luka some "credit" for this s*** of a basketball that the Mavs play? Like one of you wrote here, it's just 1 pass and shoot(if there is a pass), when Luka is in the game. He also can't/won't play offball.
The Mavs are realy trying their best to play like the Harden Rockets. Just awful basketball :S

The Mavs played some good basketball last year. Often even when Luka was on the bench or didn't play. Multiple games where the bench extended leads and when Luka came back, the game was already won. This season has not seen that type of impact.

So... I think it's too extreme to just blame Luka if the basketball sucks now. As in, it's obvious that even if you can find Luka to be the cause of it, the reality is that outside him things aren't gelling like last season. He also generally has played okay outside the bad start and a game here and there.

Now, when he is off the ball, he really needs to not look so uninterested. See his body language and lack of any movement at all in the 2nd Quarter. He just stays put in one place with no movement. It's something that really needs to be addressed by him/team, otherwise we're just playing 4x4. There hasn't been much improvement in this area at all the last two years.

The frustrating part is that after a bad 1st Q/1H, he did okay. And he did make a good play at the end. DFS had a good chance to win the game. Missed. And just like that, everything changes.

The Mavs these two seasons have been miserable in close games. Either by their own fault or simply bad luck/not hitting the shots that there are there.

Capture some "hustle plays"
60/21/10
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#63 » by ejs78 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:57 pm

Unless they change their offensive philosophy the Mavs are not trading for a rebounding big. If you think the offense is bad now wait until you have 2 slow footed bigs and 1 less shooter on the court

Whiteside got a league minimum contract because he chases stats and he is poor defender. He goes after blocks at the 3pt then gets burned for layups. There is a reason why he's only made 1 nba all defensive team and that was over 5 years ago. Just think Portland who plays little D picked Kanter over Whiteside.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#64 » by arkuo » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:38 pm

Heezzi wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:
arkuo wrote:If KP was getting killed on pick and roll switches, imagine if we had both KP and say, Drummond on the floor. Twp slow footed big men. Opponents will just milk that play everytime. I think Maxi is ok at PF next to KP. He moves his feet well. Cant have two slow big men on the floor at the same time. We need to replace DFS and/or THJ for an upgrade though. The wing position is an important one in today's NBA. You need someone there.

same sentiments here.. Ive been really looking hard at DFS and i think thats the position we should upgrade at. Look at what Green or Bey can provide in the meantime while theres no moves/trades yet. DFS is shooting poorly this year and the effort sometimes just isnt enough from him.

Green isn't going to replace DFS. The should've drafted Saddiq Bey.

I wonder if Cuban takes a knee jerk reaction and just signs Oladipo in the summer. I mean he can play defense and play off ball in Houston.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#65 » by Apz » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:47 pm

XTraderXL wrote:
Apz wrote:
Absinthe wrote:Some people need a reality check on this board. Phoenix is a middling team with almost no depth. All I’ve heard for weeks is excuses. It was all, “Wait until we get back to full strength.”

This team is at full strength or very close to it. What is more likely: this team overperformed last season or has come back to Earth this season? I know my answer.

What is truly hilarious is the front office. Houston was trying to unload CP3’s massive salary and the Mavs could have had him. But they honestly thought Giannis was walking through the door. Yeah, CP3 is injury prone but he would be the best playmaker and defender Luka has ever played with. No contest. He can pass, shoot, defend, hit free throws, create his own shot, etc. But Curry for Richardson was the big play. Yeah, okay.

Do realisd there is no such thing as free? 40+m in contracts is a lot and u wonder why they have no depth?

And for the 1000nd time, if u got a chance to get giannis u keep that option open. But I bet if we had spent that cap and giannis not resigned u would have been the loudest about why we didnt save the cap for giannis. Some people just cant be pleased, living in hindsight

The problem is they had 0 chance for Giannis. Everyone knew it but Cuban. Half of the league would be in the Giannis trade/FA and he would have never gone to Dallas, no way. They messed up, like they usually do.

Well, what is 0 chance? He checked up how much less he would maje with texas and florida taxes compared to his supermax, which means he were thinking about it and probably prefer them destinations if the money hadnt been so different.

But what do i know, seems 0 or 100 is the only options for some. 1 and 0s in hindsight is easy.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#66 » by Bluelabel24 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:46 pm

Heezzi wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:
arkuo wrote:If KP was getting killed on pick and roll switches, imagine if we had both KP and say, Drummond on the floor. Twp slow footed big men. Opponents will just milk that play everytime. I think Maxi is ok at PF next to KP. He moves his feet well. Cant have two slow big men on the floor at the same time. We need to replace DFS and/or THJ for an upgrade though. The wing position is an important one in today's NBA. You need someone there.

same sentiments here.. Ive been really looking hard at DFS and i think thats the position we should upgrade at. Look at what Green or Bey can provide in the meantime while theres no moves/trades yet. DFS is shooting poorly this year and the effort sometimes just isnt enough from him.

i like saddiq bey too, would have been happy if we selected him. difference though is he is getting a chance to show what he can do.
Tyler bey has not even had a decent chance to see the floor even with all this injuries and poor play of rotation guys.
Tyler Bey is a great defender and was named the pac 12 defensive player of the year.
Physically though Tyler and Saddiq Bey are pretty even, both are around 220-230lbs and athletic. Tyler Bey also posted the highest vertical leap for forwards at the combine. Saddiq(6'10 wingspan) is probably the better shooter right now and tyler(7"1 wingspan) the better defender.

heck i dont know if tyler can cut it in the nba or if he can be a rotation guy, what i would like is to find out what he can do when theres an opportunity, when were up/down big or rotation guys having a terrible shooting night and poor effort on defense.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#67 » by Bob8 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:00 pm

Dirk wrote:
juanc wrote:At what point are we going to give Luka some "credit" for this s*** of a basketball that the Mavs play? Like one of you wrote here, it's just 1 pass and shoot(if there is a pass), when Luka is in the game. He also can't/won't play offball.
The Mavs are realy trying their best to play like the Harden Rockets. Just awful basketball :S

The Mavs played some good basketball last year. Often even when Luka was on the bench or didn't play. Multiple games where the bench extended leads and when Luka came back, the game was already won. This season has not seen that type of impact.

So... I think it's too extreme to just blame Luka if the basketball sucks now. As in, it's obvious that even if you can find Luka to be the cause of it, the reality is that outside him things aren't gelling like last season. He also generally has played okay outside the bad start and a game here and there.

Now, when he is off the ball, he really needs to not look so uninterested. See his body language and lack of any movement at all in the 2nd Quarter. He just stays put in one place with no movement. It's something that really needs to be addressed by him/team, otherwise we're just playing 4x4. There hasn't been much improvement in this area at all the last two years.

The frustrating part is that after a bad 1st Q/1H, he did okay. And he did make a good play at the end. DFS had a good chance to win the game. Missed. And just like that, everything changes.

The Mavs these two seasons have been miserable in close games. Either by their own fault or simply bad luck/not hitting the shots that there are there.

Capture some "hustle plays"

How can you say that DFS had a good chance to win a game? It's a 33% shot at best, and probably a lot lower, when it comes to hitting a game winning shot. How many of those shots have DFS made in his career? He was for sure the last option in that possession.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#68 » by Bob8 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:08 pm

Bluelabel24 wrote:
Heezzi wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:same sentiments here.. Ive been really looking hard at DFS and i think thats the position we should upgrade at. Look at what Green or Bey can provide in the meantime while theres no moves/trades yet. DFS is shooting poorly this year and the effort sometimes just isnt enough from him.

i like saddiq bey too, would have been happy if we selected him. difference though is he is getting a chance to show what he can do.
Tyler bey has not even had a decent chance to see the floor even with all this injuries and poor play of rotation guys.
Tyler Bey is a great defender and was named the pac 12 defensive player of the year.
Physically though Tyler and Saddiq Bey are pretty even, both are around 220-230lbs and athletic. Tyler Bey also posted the highest vertical leap for forwards at the combine. Saddiq(6'10 wingspan) is probably the better shooter right now and tyler(7"1 wingspan) the better defender.

heck i dont know if tyler can cut it in the nba or if he can be a rotation guy, what i would like is to find out what he can do when theres an opportunity, when were up/down big or rotation guys having a terrible shooting night and poor effort on defense.

Mavs biggest problem is shooting. Tyler is probably the worst shooter in the team. On the other hand I really don't understand strategy for drafting those players.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#69 » by Heezzi » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:58 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:
Heezzi wrote:

Mavs biggest problem is shooting. Tyler is probably the worst shooter in the team. On the other hand I really don't understand strategy for drafting those players.

What strategy?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#70 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 10:08 am

Just incredible how Mavs were able to lose against Suns 2 in a row. They're playing pretty bad and are 4-6.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#71 » by Apz » Thu Feb 4, 2021 11:39 am

Said it befire the first game. By skme reasons we have issues with suns. But, last time we were up against them.

Return to Dallas Mavericks