ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Hawks (Wed, 7:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Hawks (Wed, 7:30PM EST) 

Post#121 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 4, 2021 6:53 pm

Bob8 wrote:
JD45 wrote:
jpengland wrote:
Sample size.

Its easy to forget JRich was shooting 70% from 3pt in pre-season. So overall, probably around his career 35% mark. Just getting the bad stretch when it counts.

Nobody cares about preseason. The problem is, that he replaced 48% 3pts shooter. Expectations are much higher because of that.

I don’t think the expectation was that he was going to come to Dallas and be Curry. If he can get back to his career average that should be good enough. Plus I still fully expect them to add another shooter in free agency or at the trade deadline. You can leave out the fact that Curry was one of this teams worst defenders last season. This team would go nowhere with defense that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#122 » by jpengland » Thu Feb 4, 2021 6:55 pm

Bob8 wrote:
JD45 wrote:
jpengland wrote:
Sample size.

Its easy to forget JRich was shooting 70% from 3pt in pre-season. So overall, probably around his career 35% mark. Just getting the bad stretch when it counts.

Nobody cares about preseason. The problem is, that he replaced 48% 3pts shooter. Expectations are much higher because of that.

Well, they shouldn't be.

Expectations should be around 36% which is his career average.

He's a handful of makes away from that. Which will likely balance out over the course of the season and once he and the rest of the team find their rhythm once the enforced absences settle down.

Just as Maxi likely won't continue in the mid 40s.

Everybody overreacting to 20 odd games after a change in emphasis, no real off season and then us being impacted more than anyone bar Miami (notice their record, too) by Covid.

It's a crazy season where we will see all kinds of strangeness.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#123 » by jpengland » Thu Feb 4, 2021 6:58 pm

FYI, Richardson is approximately 5 makes off his career average.

If one of his misses was a make every other game, he'd be at 36% and no one would be blinking.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#124 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 8:11 pm

Mr B wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
JD45 wrote:

I don’t think the expectation was that he was going to come to Dallas and be Curry. If he can get back to his career average that should be good enough. Plus I still fully expect them to add another shooter in free agency or at the trade deadline. You can leave out the fact that Curry was one of this teams worst defenders last season. This team would go nowhere with defense that bad.

Nobody expected from him to shoot that badly either. I said he might come to his average, but it's the fact he's hurting Mavs with his shooting. Mavs are not the worst shooting team by accident. The difference in shooting between Seth and Richardson at the moment is just too big.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#125 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 8:15 pm

jpengland wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
JD45 wrote:

Well, they shouldn't be.

Expectations should be around 36% which is his career average.

He's a handful of makes away from that. Which will likely balance out over the course of the season and once he and the rest of the team find their rhythm once the enforced absences settle down.

Just as Maxi likely won't continue in the mid 40s.

Everybody overreacting to 20 odd games after a change in emphasis, no real off season and then us being impacted more than anyone bar Miami (notice their record, too) by Covid.

It's a crazy season where we will see all kinds of strangeness.

The reasoning behind changing Seth with Richardson was that Richardson is much better defender and that he might have career % because Mavs game is much better for him. He has a lot of work to do.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#126 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 4, 2021 10:08 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Nobody expected from him to shoot that badly either. I said he might come to his average, but it's the fact he's hurting Mavs with his shooting. Mavs are not the worst shooting team by accident. The difference in shooting between Seth and Richardson at the moment is just too big.

Your keys word are “at the moment”. Let’s see where they are by the trade deadline. My guess is that his shooting will be closer to his career average.

Bob8
General Manager

Post#127 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 10:12 pm

Mr B wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Mr B wrote:I don’t think the expectation was that he was going to come to Dallas and be Curry. If he can get back to his career average that should be good enough. Plus I still fully expect them to add another shooter in free agency or at the trade deadline. You can leave out the fact that Curry was one of this teams worst defenders last season. This team would go nowhere with defense that bad.

Your keys word are “at the moment”. Let’s see where they are by the trade deadline. My guess is that his shooting will be closer to his career average.

Could be. Mavs need wins desperately, better shooting will be crucial.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#128 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 4, 2021 10:25 pm

Here is an interesting video of Trea Young’s post game interview talking about the Mavs defense and the way they guarded him. Also a little about his and Luka’s friendship.

https://youtu.be/wbwO2CpyVl8

Return to Dallas Mavericks