Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Re: Packages for Porzingis 

Post#41 » by jpengland » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:32 am

HMFFL wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Free agency I hope we pursue UFA Richaun Holmes and RFA Jarrett Allen. I would take Drummond but not at 28m per season longterm.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Agreed, but I'd happily have him short term for 28m if we swap Johnson + filler for him.
I'd like to have Drummond, too.
I just prefer to keep him longterm and sign him for closer to 20m.

20m?!?

Drummond isnt getting more than MLE this summer unless somebody overpays him in a sign and trade deal.

I don't understand the infatuation some Dallas fans have with him. He's a poor rim protector, very inefficient for a big and his only strength is rebounding, which comes at the price of defense and offensive spacing. He's essentially unplayable in the playoffs and any time he and KP are on the floor we would see teams bombard us from deep.

He's put up stats on terrible teams, overvalues his own ability and would destroy the very thing that makes our offense tick whilst not even helping the defense.

Hard pass at anything more than 5m per.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#42 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:59 pm

I think KP is a buyout candidate in a couple of seasons.

I won't offend with any packages, but I see his health issues (it almost always gets worse with big men as they age), defensive deficiencies and albatross contract make it impossible for the Mavs to get what they feel would be decent value in a trade.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#43 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:12 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:I think KP is a buyout candidate in a couple of seasons.

I won't offend with any packages, but I see his health issues (it almost always gets worse with big men as they age), defensive deficiencies and albatross contract make it impossible for the Mavs to get what they feel would be decent value in a trade.

Don’t count on it. Contract aside, he’s still gonna be under 30 when his contract ends and will likely get another big payday when that happens because of what he shows when healthy. Believe me, if Hayward got paid, KP will too.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#44 » by Bluelabel24 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:35 am

what id like to know is whats the role of our training staff/Casey Smith in this KP situation.. maybe someone with inside knowledge could give info. did they give KP suggestions or ultimatums and did he follow or disregard them??.. thats the only thing that would make me want to trade him, is if hes hard headed enough to disregard guys with tons of experience working in nba with MDs and PHDs.
cuz i remember years ago i brought up his stupid older brother who has the guts to mooch of him, he wants KP to be as light as possible because he thinks adding weight would only cause injuries and that guy often clashed with NYK training staff and independent doctors/trainers like Carlon Colker( who btw worked with Shaq)..

most articles with expert insights regarding this say KP should gain enough muscle to avoid getting injured. Just a slight bump or hard push and he'd feel it for days because there's not much impact protection. Luka seems like the opposite, he regenerates quickly, just look at that nasty ankle twist against LAC and how fast he bounced back.
preldzic
Junior
And1: 345

Post#45 » by preldzic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:28 am

Bluelabel24 wrote:what id like to know is whats the role of our training staff/Casey Smith in this KP situation.. maybe someone with inside knowledge could give info. did they give KP suggestions or ultimatums and did he follow or disregard them??.. thats the only thing that would make me want to trade him, is if hes hard headed enough to disregard guys with tons of experience working in nba with MDs and PHDs.
cuz i remember years ago i brought up his stupid older brother who has the guts to mooch of him, he wants KP to be as light as possible because he thinks adding weight would only cause injuries and that guy often clashed with NYK training staff and independent doctors/trainers like Carlon Colker( who btw worked with Shaq)..

most articles with expert insights regarding this say KP should gain enough muscle to avoid getting injured. Just a slight bump or hard push and he'd feel it for days because there's not much impact protection. Luka seems like the opposite, he regenerates quickly, just look at that nasty ankle twist against LAC and how fast he bounced back.

This is very interesting.
I remember Porzingis gaining something like 10 pounds of muscle mass in the offseason after his rookie season. And then he lost most of it during his sophomore season. I thought he was simply that skinny guy who could never put on muscle (an keep it) no matter who his trainers were. Then it looked like he got a bit stronger prior to his first season with the Mavs, but you would expect a more substantial improvement given that he had more than one year and a half to work on his body.
I get it, not weighing 300 pounds can certainly extend your career. But, as some experts explained, he needs to be stronger to protect his joints and ligaments. It would also help his game and he could actually post up players weighting 200+ pounds. He should at least work on his base and his core, 10-15 pounds of pure muscle gain, but he doesn't need to have an upper body of Dwight...
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#46 » by Bluelabel24 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:49 am

preldzic wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:what id like to know is whats the role of our training staff/Casey Smith in this KP situation.. maybe someone with inside knowledge could give info. did they give KP suggestions or ultimatums and did he follow or disregard them??.. thats the only thing that would make me want to trade him, is if hes hard headed enough to disregard guys with tons of experience working in nba with MDs and PHDs.

I remember Porzingis gaining something like 10 pounds of muscle mass in the offseason after his rookie season. And then he lost most of it during his sophomore season. I thought he was simply that skinny guy who could never put on muscle (an keep it) no matter who his trainers were. Then it looked like he got a bit stronger prior to his first season with the Mavs, but you would expect a more substantial improvement given that he had more than one year and a half to work on his body.
I get it, not weighing 300 pounds can certainly extend your career. But, as some experts explained, he needs to be stronger to protect his joints and ligaments. It would also help his game and he could actually post up players weighting 200+ pounds. He should at least work on his base and his core, 10-15 pounds of pure muscle gain, but he doesn't need to have an upper body of Dwight...

exactly.. most fans think adding weight= more risk of injuries but i think what kp needs to do is add 10-12lbs of lower body/core strength to avoid consistent injuries and then work on his mechanics.
for those interested watch this.. embiid had same issues early on and seems like he was able to correct it.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,428

Post#47 » by Mavrelous » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:55 am

Yeah, you need to abuse the barbell and gain weight to protect your ligaments and strengthen your core, the problem with that is many times is causes the player to lose his shooting touch and it needs re calibration.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#48 » by MrOrange » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:15 am

preldzic wrote:

There are a few things about KP that you should understand. KP is a small man in a big body. In the very mindset. He loves to run and shoot. The whole culture of Latvian basketball is built around shooters. Live or die by a jump shot. They teach shooting from day 1 at schools. Look at Bertāns. Little kids take pride in drilling a three at the very end of the game but forget about the basics. We have hoops at our backyards where kids compete on who will make a shot from further away. Latvia lost to Bulgaria a couple of days ago at almost full strength, mussing the European championship for the first time and everyone is gunning for heads right now. KP needs lower body strength in order to be effective in the paint. Like you said: core strength. Can he do it? I actually have my doubts. Not because he is unwilling. He has an enormously high centre of gravity on thin legs. Is it fixable? No idea. But if he works within a system, he fits. If he does not, trade him. He will never ever be an empowering big man. Or Dirk. They are just built different.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#49 » by Apz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:20 pm

He did add weight just a year ago, didnt work, decided ti lose it and what did we get? After allstar game and bubble KP.

And seriously, adding muscles does nithing for knees or ancles. It just adds to the strain on them since u got more power to put put them under more stress.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#50 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:28 pm

KhalilS wrote:I think both teams won't like it, but KP/Powell for Adams/Bledsoe/some of Bucks picks or Adams/Lonzo make perfect sense.
Adams is a terrible fit next to Zion, KP is a great fit, Pelicans shed one of their redundant guards, who can run the second unit and take off pressure from Luka by bringing up the ball some of the time, in the second trade (Adams/Lonzo), Dallas also clears ~15 million in cap room for next FA class so they can overpay Collins or someone else.

You must be a Pelicans fan...
Adams is a negative asset. Horrible on defense. Clogging the lane on offense.
Did anyone saw how Tatum blocked Doncic twice? Its happened because Marjanovic clogging inside and Celtics easily brought help.
Adams is a losing material for that 20M+ contract.
Does not fit with Doncic. He does not fit with any scorer.

Lonzo is expiring(rfa) and has a zero value right now. Lonzo is not playing well so his value for this season is limited. He kills spacing too. Lonzo will get contract offers that would make Dallas to regret matching.

Bledsoe is another undersized guy who cannot shoot much. Bledsoe becomes even more inefficient in playoffs too. Needs ball in his hands too. I would not give KP for him.

After all, Pelicans would not be willing to give many picks for KP. They should get rid of non-shooter lonzo adams bledsoe trio. But they should also get better more consistent defenders. KP is not one of them.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#51 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:38 pm

jpengland wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Agreed, but I'd happily have him short term for 28m if we swap Johnson + filler for him.
I'd like to have Drummond, too.
I just prefer to keep him longterm and sign him for closer to 20m.

20m?!?

Drummond isnt getting more than MLE this summer unless somebody overpays him in a sign and trade deal.

I don't understand the infatuation some Dallas fans have with him. He's a poor rim protector, very inefficient for a big and his only strength is rebounding, which comes at the price of defense and offensive spacing. He's essentially unplayable in the playoffs and any time he and KP are on the floor we would see teams bombard us from deep.

He's put up stats on terrible teams, overvalues his own ability and would destroy the very thing that makes our offense tick whilst not even helping the defense.

Hard pass at anything more than 5m per.

Fire-RC crowd and Adams/Drummond lovers are just delusional. They should understand that its not a 2k video game, its not a fantasy basketball.
Drummond commanding near max does not make any sense.
Look at H.Whiteside. He got minimum and no one should surprise. He can still get crazy numbers when he gets minutes but he makes his team lose during that stat padding stretch.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#52 » by arkuo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:49 pm

Porzingis for Buddy Hield + Richaun Holmes matches salary wise. Could work in terms of value too. Sacto wants a starting role for Haliburton so they need Hield out. They need a big man bad and that's why the trade makes sense.

If you let Johnson and THJ walk in the summer, turn around and sign John Collins and get THJ back by going over the cap, that looks like a pretty balanced team.

C- Holmes / Powell
PF- Collins / Kleber
SF- Richardson / DFS
SG- Hield / THJ
PG- Doncic / Brunson
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#53 » by daoneandonly » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:07 pm

KP, Burke, and Iwundu for Carter Jr, Sato, and Thad work money wise, how about fit?

For Dallas, they had interest in WCJ when they were sitting at 5 and chances at Luka were bleak, Sato can be the backup PG Dal needs as Brunson looks to score rather than pass 99 times out of 100. The issue lies with Thad, if Dal could ship if to a 3rd team that values what he brings and get a smaller deal in the process, that would be ideal.

For Chi, yeah risky, but KP is the best player in the deal. Is he worth the risk to pair with Lavine and Lauri, that's a question only Chi mgmt can answer. Burke gives them a backup to replace Sato, and Iwundu is just a min guy so Dal wouldnt have to cut anyone.

If there was a 3rd team that could be involved that wants Thad (and taking Iwundu), could send a smaller, but also bad contract to Dallas, and some cheap big to Chi, that would probably be palatable. Just cant think of who that team would be.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,428

Post#54 » by Mavrelous » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:10 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:I think both teams won't like it, but KP/Powell for Adams/Bledsoe/some of Bucks picks or Adams/Lonzo make perfect sense.
Adams is a terrible fit next to Zion, KP is a great fit, Pelicans shed one of their redundant guards, who can run the second unit and take off pressure from Luka by bringing up the ball some of the time, in the second trade (Adams/Lonzo), Dallas also clears ~15 million in cap room for next FA class so they can overpay Collins or someone else.

You must be a Pelicans fan...
Adams is a negative asset. Horrible on defense. Clogging the lane on offense.
Did anyone saw how Tatum blocked Doncic twice? Its happened because Marjanovic clogging inside and Celtics easily brought help.
Adams is a losing material for that 20M+ contract.
Does not fit with Doncic. He does not fit with any scorer.

Lonzo is expiring(rfa) and has a zero value right now. Lonzo is not playing well so his value for this season is limited. He kills spacing too. Lonzo will get contract offers that would make Dallas to regret matching.

Bledsoe is another undersized guy who cannot shoot much. Bledsoe becomes even more inefficient in playoffs too. Needs ball in his hands too. I would not give KP for him.

After all, Pelicans would not be willing to give many picks for KP. They should get rid of non-shooter lonzo adams bledsoe trio. But they should also get better more consistent defenders. KP is not one of them.

KP/Powel for Admas/Lonzo clears ~25million in cap space, and you replace Powell with Adams, who is better (and indeed, like traditional centers today, is too slow for the P&R), that gives you the option to target Collins and another FA.
In Bledsoe's case, it's the picks that are enticing, while you keep the cap space next year for Collins.
You can roll the dice with KP, last bubble KP is worth much more than this, but it's a management decsion.
For NOP, they don't have this issue, KP is perfect fit next to Zion/Ingram, as they lack length and shooting.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#55 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:38 pm

KP is an Allstart with 7'3 of 25 years .. not to change for Bledsoe ??? or Adams ?? ..
worth a Horford style package .. ?? .. NO.

If Pelicans like the fit ...
KP + Green + Dallas 26 + Johnson for Adams + Ingram ..
Pelicans are further away from competing for the championship, eliminating long-term money from Adams have (Hayes).
perfect fit for Zion (KP) A prospect + a first round, to fatten the bag ...
They can make a good package for Beal ...
1+1=11
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#56 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Apz wrote:Drummond wont get 10m/year this summer. Pribably will end up on 2 years fof 15m or something like that. 7.5m/year is probably max i would be fibe to pay
I hope you're right.
What a decline from 28m he's currently making to 7.5m

Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#57 » by Absinthe » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:52 pm

I think Cuban is full of it and is pissed that it leaked out that the Mavs are shipping Porzingis. He’s covering his rear end just in case they can’t move him.

Recent rumors have the Mavs talking to the Warriors in a potential Porzingis deal. I think that the warriors would deal for Porzingis if it meant getting rid of Draymond. It will be interesting to see if the Mavs want to gamble on such a headache. If the Mavs could get Wiseman that would be a no brained. He’s the type of five that Doncic would love to play with. A five that has floor spacing ability on top of being an ultra athletic roller.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#58 » by JD45 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 pm

Absinthe wrote:I think Cuban is full of it and is pissed that it leaked out that the Mavs are shipping Porzingis. He’s covering his rear end just in case they can’t move him.

Its possible this is the case. But if they then traded Porzingis, it makes Cuban look bad. I think most likely there is no deal in the works. Maybe Porzingis' name came up in talks with other teams but there was no actual trade proposals or offers.

I doubt all of the news is correct. So the Mavs would trade him if they got a good offer, but I expect they won't get anything good with his current level of performance.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#59 » by Apz » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:22 am

Absinthe wrote:I think Cuban is full of it and is pissed that it leaked out that the Mavs are shipping Porzingis. He’s covering his rear end just in case they can’t move him.

Recent rumors have the Mavs talking to the Warriors in a potential Porzingis deal. I think that the warriors would deal for Porzingis if it meant getting rid of Draymond. It will be interesting to see if the Mavs want to gamble on such a headache. If the Mavs could get Wiseman that would be a no brained. He’s the type of five that Doncic would love to play with. A five that has floor spacing ability on top of being an ultra athletic roller.

Dont see it hapoen with draymond. If it happdns its for like wiseman fir kp, and the min pick for wiggins to make money work. And gsw only does that if they really wang kp as their 5. Depends how much ghey are willinc to risk, but their whole team is a risk atm, I dont see it as likely, but i can see them bet on it and hope all of their cofe is healthy for playoff next year. They kinda need someghing, even if klay comes back at 90% they wont beat nets. Its on the last stretch for their guys atm.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#60 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:38 am

It's hard to justify trading for Draymond and his contract. I guess it depends on what else Golden State trade us. Future picks, Wiseman, because it needs to be something.

2020-21: $22,246,956
2021-22: $24,026,712
2022-23: $25,806,468
2023-24: $27,586,224 {Player Option}

Return to Dallas Mavericks