Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 848

Re: Tyler bey may save the curry trade 

Post#41 » by Teffer10 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:18 am

Bob8 wrote:
DBoys wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Curry doesn't guard anywhere near the caliber of offensive players that JRich is assigned.
I'm not saying the trade turned out better for the Mavs by any means, but to imply that Curry is a better defender than JRich just isn't a fair implication.

This.

It also needs to be noted that these "stats" are small sample size using a time which is highly impacted by J-Rich having covid and trying to round back into health, and into shape, as he plays -- alongside a team that is filled with subpar players for the same reason. Making hard evaluations based on that stretch? That's a big mistake.

Ok, leaving stats aside, how does Richardson look to you, when you watch Mavs?

This is a mystery to me because JRich seems to be a great fit next to Luka and our system on paper but for some reason hasn't materialized.
I clamored for the Curry/JRich trade long before it happened because I thought it would be a great move for both teams.
I still think JRich will eventually work out if the Mavs give it time but it is extremely head-scratching to see no progress in terms of chemistry.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#42 » by Bob8 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:32 am

DBoys wrote:"how does Richardson look to you, when you watch Mavs?"

I certainly don't sit and watch the games to see how well JR plays D, I follow the ball usually. Of course, the big picture is obvious - right now the whole team is awful on defense.

But general impression all season is that JR looks better than most to me (as does DFS) in man matchups. And it looks to me like the Mavs trust JR to be on the hardest small guy to guard, and he might guard 1-3. By comparison, Curry was never that guy - he was always tasked to guard the easiest matchup.

I see a little different picture, in offensive end he's more or less useless, Brunson would do much better with his minutes. In D he's better than Brunson but not that much, he has big problems to stay in front of guards and is doing some stupid fouls. You're right all Mavs D looks bad, but I believed it was Richardson's job to be leader there. Expectations for him are much higher than for Brunson/Luka. And you said, Mavs trust him to guard the best guards. It wasn't the case with Dame, when it mattered. RC didn't trust him that job, which tells something, because he should be perfect for that job.

I don't understand what is going on, but Mavs are more or less the same team as last year only notable difference is Richardson for Curry, but they are worse in offense and D. Richardson advanced numbers bad too. I believe RC tried to change D somewhat, because he believed he had better personal for that, unfortunately it didn't work.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#43 » by Pinkyring » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:37 am

Another good game 16 on 6-12 shooting, 12 rebounds 5 assist 2 steals 2 blocks

Also his first start, what's most impressive is he's doing it for another team with the legends opting out, slc really has no incentive to play him
Bob8
General Manager

Post#44 » by Bob8 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:52 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
DBoys wrote:
This.

It also needs to be noted that these "stats" are small sample size using a time which is highly impacted by J-Rich having covid and trying to round back into health, and into shape, as he plays -- alongside a team that is filled with subpar players for the same reason. Making hard evaluations based on that stretch? That's a big mistake.

Ok, leaving stats aside, how does Richardson look to you, when you watch Mavs?

This is a mystery to me because JRich seems to be a great fit next to Luka and our system on paper but for some reason hasn't materialized.
I clamored for the Curry/JRich trade long before it happened because I thought it would be a great move for both teams.
I still think JRich will eventually work out if the Mavs give it time but it is extremely head-scratching to see no progress in terms of chemistry.

The biggest problem with Richardson is that he's very bad creator for himself or others and is not especially good off ball. He would basically need to shoot much better for 3 to be useable in offense, which isn't happening at the moment. If he starts to hit 3s, he will look much better.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#45 » by boogiezen » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:19 am

How I wish Carlisle has the patience to develop the young players. And yeah Bey has that athleticism and energy, his ceiling is much better at this moment, heck even better than Finney Smith which is the one defending the best guards from the other team.

Jrich was supposed to be the leader in our perimeter defense. Lol.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#46 » by Pinkyring » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:51 am

More on bey

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 848

Post#47 » by Teffer10 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:16 pm

BlueSan wrote:This time it will be different they'll be back in no time ready to play starter's minutes and contend for rookie of the year

This is desperation times for the Mavs in terms of defense so I don't see how it could hurt to bring Bey up and give him an opportunity.
The problem with Rick though is that Bey can't afford to make ANY mistakes or he'll quickly be back in the doghouse. God forbid if he misses a shot even if he were to singlehandedly solve our defense and rebounding problems.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#48 » by Pinkyring » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:51 am

Quiet game for Bey looked to be in foul trouble, excellent game for Terry 23/9/7 5-10 from the field 4-6 from 3 and 4-4 at the line now i have no idea about those stats because the fga and free throws get u to 18 pts not 23 so something is off

Bob8
General Manager

Post#49 » by Bob8 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 am

Pinkyring wrote:Quiet game for Bey looked to be in foul trouble, excellent game for Terry 23/9/7 5-10 from the field 4-6 from 3 and 4-4 at the line now i have no idea about those stats because the fga and free throws get u to 18 pts not 23 so something is off

Why is Green not playing? He needs to be in quarantine or something else?
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#50 » by Pinkyring » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:29 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Quiet game for Bey looked to be in foul trouble, excellent game for Terry 23/9/7 5-10 from the field 4-6 from 3 and 4-4 at the line now i have no idea about those stats because the fga and free throws get u to 18 pts not 23 so something is off

Why is Green not playing? He needs to be in quarantine or something else?

No idea
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#51 » by JD45 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:34 pm

Maybe Bey can be Shawn Marion lite. Seems like similar body style and athleticism.

Terry's rebounding numbers continue to impress.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#52 » by Pinkyring » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:15 am

Bey bounce back game 19--12 and 2. Blocks on 8-15 shooting and 2-3 from 3

Terry another big game 26-3-3 on 9-18 and 3-8 from deep
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#53 » by daoneandonly » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:27 pm

Its the g-league, so we shouldnt get too excited here
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#54 » by JD45 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:00 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Its the g-league, so we shouldnt get too excited here

Its better competition than college ball. Good performance doesn't prove they can do it in the NBA, but bad performance would be a huge warning. So playing well takes away potential negative.

And some stats tend to carry over, like rebounding and 3pt %. So there are some good signs.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#55 » by ejs78 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Rookie update

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant