arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Tyler bey may save the curry trade 

Post#21 » by arkuo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:30 am

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
You can get rid of shooters like Curry with that friendly contract in a second, no need to trade him 1 year too soon. They obviously believed Richardson is better fit. It was all about playing better D, they have even drafted Green instead of Bey for that reason. Result is the worst D in Mavs history and 2 players who don't know what to do in Mavs offense.

THJ + James Johnson is short of a max contract. No need for over analysis. They just needed to dump Curry for Giannis to view Dallas as an option this early. You cant ask Giannis for guarantees if you dont even have the space to sign him. You create the space first, then talk.

The result now is just in hindsight of Dallas not signing Giannis. Obviously its a gamble and Cuban took the risk. Just like in any other business. Plan and simple. No need for over analysis.

And how does Richardson's player option for next year fit in your narrative?

If he does opt out, its good. Its an expiring contract. If he doesnt opt out you get a value player at 10 to 12M for one more year. Either way that's a win. Guys like Cuban dont like handing out fresh 4 or 5 year deals. They prefer to get cheap and catch players in the middle of those deals so they get shorter years or less pay. Ask Tyson Chandler. A sucker is born every minute. Let him be the one to hand out a 5 year deal.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,557

Post#22 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:52 am

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
THJ + James Johnson is short of a max contract. No need for over analysis. They just needed to dump Curry for Giannis to view Dallas as an option this early. You cant ask Giannis for guarantees if you dont even have the space to sign him. You create the space first, then talk.

The result now is just in hindsight of Dallas not signing Giannis. Obviously its a gamble and Cuban took the risk. Just like in any other business. Plan and simple. No need for over analysis.

If he does opt out, its good. Its an expiring contract. If he doesnt opt out you get a value player at 10 to 12M for one more year. Either way that's a win. Guys like Cuban dont like handing out fresh 4 or 5 year deals. They prefer to get cheap and catch players in the middle of those deals so they get shorter years or less pay. Ask Tyson Chandler. A sucker is born every minute. Let him be the one to hand out a 5 year deal.

Didn't you just say that you need max space just to start talking with Giannis?

Richardson with 2 bad consecutive seasons is not going anywhere and is not worth 11 mio like he's playing at the moment.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#23 » by DBoys » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:02 am

Archx wrote:
DBoys wrote:Curry's defensive limitations were a MAJOR problem in Dallas. He's a much better fit in Philly, where they have better defenders in their key players, and where his defensive limitations aren't as noticeable.

What defensive limitations? Jrich is statistically having WORSE season on defense than Curry with Mavs....

If you think Curry is somehow a better defender than JRich, not sure how to even reply to that. It's so opposite of the facts that it's absurd to argue. Wow.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#24 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:12 am

DBoys wrote:
Archx wrote:
DBoys wrote:Curry's defensive limitations were a MAJOR problem in Dallas. He's a much better fit in Philly, where they have better defenders in their key players, and where his defensive limitations aren't as noticeable.

What defensive limitations? Jrich is statistically having WORSE season on defense than Curry with Mavs....

If you think Curry is somehow a better defender than JRich, not sure how to even reply to that. It's so opposite of the facts that it's absurd to argue. Wow.

Advanced stats are saying that Richardson is absolutely awful in D this year. And watching games it's obvious how easy all our opponents are beating our guards, that's the reason that our bigs are looking even worse in D that they normally would.

Enormous difference between them in shooting could be replaced only with fantastic D by Richardson, unfortunately Richardson is bad there too. Even if he's marginally better than Curry, it doesn't help a lot.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#25 » by arkuo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:55 am

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Richardson with 2 bad consecutive seasons is not going anywhere and is not worth 11 mio like he's playing at the moment.

If he opts in he just earns like $11M. That's way below market value for a player like him in his position which I think is still a win. That's a very cheap contract (probably even cheaper than Dwight Powell) for 1 more year versus handing a 30 year old Curry a nee 5 year deal that would expire in 2027 with a stress fracture to boot. I mean, would you really want to be the guy to sign Curry to a new 5 year deal? It's not my money, but something there just isn't a Mark Cuban move. Again, I'm just basing it as moves Cuban would make based off his tendencies.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,971

Post#26 » by Archx » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:34 am

DBoys wrote:
Archx wrote:

Bob8 already answered you nicely. I'll just add up to that. I never said Curry is a better defender than Jrich, i was purely talking stats and how both players fit in Mavs system. If you don't believe in any stat then look at how they play. Mavs have huge issues this season.

Curry's offense neglected some of his defensive liabilities. Fact is they traded one of the best shooters in the entire NBA history, who STATISTICALLY had a better season on defense and had a better team record with the Mavs than the guy they traded for, yes i think overall Jrich is a worse player than Curry.

And maybe Rick is kinda proving this aswell, because in some games Jrich is not even in the game in cluth or crucial situations while Curry mostly was.

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

If he opts in he just earns like $11M. That's way below market value for a player like him in his position which I think is still a win. That's a very cheap contract (probably even cheaper than Dwight Powell) for 1 more year versus handing a 30 year old Curry a nee 5 year deal that would expire in 2027 with a stress fracture to boot. I mean, would you really want to be the guy to sign Curry to a new 5 year deal? It's not my money, but something there just isn't a Mark Cuban move. Again, I'm just basing it as moves Cuban would make based off his tendencies.

If you want to create cap space in off season, trading a guy like Curry is super easy. I see no reason why they would be doing this move 1 year prior Giannis signing. They said out loud, it was purely because defense, but that defense so far is non existant. Hence why the trade looks horrible at the moment.

And i don't understand why you're talking like Curry is 50yo lol... He's only 30 and on a very cheap deal. We have no clue what he will demand after his contract expires.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#27 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:17 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Didn't Curry have something like 2+1 for just 8 mio per year before this season?

I'm asking you about Richardson opting in because, you said it was crucial they have free max spot to even start talking with Giannis. I believe moving Seth was always pretty easy, everyone wants shooters and he's elite shooter with very team friendly contract.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#28 » by arkuo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Didn't Curry have something like 2+1 for just 8 mio per year before this season?

I'm asking you about Richardson opting in because, you said it was crucial they have free max spot to even start talking with Giannis. I believe moving Seth was always pretty easy, everyone wants shooters and he's elite shooter with very team friendly contract.

Donnie and Cuban were pretty sure that Richardson will opt out. Richardson has the same agent as Luka. And the bigger contract, the bigger commissions he gets. Its a no brainer for agents. And I believe they talk behind the scenes. Agents run the league. If Richardson opts out, hypothetically, could Dallas sign Giannis to the max and still re-sign Richardson by going over the cap? If yes then that answers it.

All the moves they made rhis summer was aimed to free up space. That's also why they just dumped Delon Wright and Justin Jackson for another expiring contract heavily marketed as Luka's bodyguard.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#29 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:19 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Donnie and Cuban were pretty sure that Richardson will opt out. Richardson has the same agent as Luka. And the bigger contract, the bigger commissions he gets. Its a no brainer for agents. And I believe they talk behind the scenes. Agents run the league. If Richardson opts out, hypothetically, could Dallas sign Giannis to the max and still re-sign Richardson by going over the cap? If yes then that answers it.

All the moves they made rhis summer was aimed to free up space. That's also why they just dumped Delon Wright and Justin Jackson for another expiring contract heavily marketed as Luka's bodyguard.

Other moves were aimed to free up space, but I believe Richardson and Green moves were meant to enforced D.

I don't believe there will be much interest in Richardson, if he continues to play like now. He basically is not very good at anything. Not good enough shooter, not good enough playmaker and nothing special in D. Very unlikely he can get much more than his current contract.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#30 » by arkuo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:40 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Other moves were aimed to free up space, but I believe Richardson and Green moves were meant to enforced D.

I don't believe there will be much interest in Richardson, if he continues to play like now. He basically is not very good at anything. Not good enough shooter, not good enough playmaker and nothing special in D. Very unlikely he can get much more than his current contract.

You do make great points as well. We can agree to disagree on some points though. I prefer to not have a weeklong discussion on this topic. :lol:
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,830

Post#31 » by dirkforpres » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:50 pm

I love everything I’ve seen and read on Tyler Bey. I can’t wait till him and Terry are ready to make an NBA contribution
FIRE JASON KIDD
Bob8
General Manager

Post#32 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:55 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

You do make great points as well. We can agree to disagree on some points though. I prefer to not have a weeklong discussion on this topic. :lol:

But in that week my obsession has climbed to # 6 in Nba ladder from nowhere and kinda proved my point. ;)

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-ladder-feb-17-edition
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#33 » by Teffer10 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:11 pm

Archx wrote:

What defensive limitations? Jrich is statistically having WORSE season on defense than Curry with Mavs. Curry even had a better block% lol... And i'm not even going to go into stuff on offense because it just hurts my head. For example, Curry is/was doing even better than THJ this season on defense.

I said it back then and some people jumped on me but i'll say it again. Curry, in my opinion, was Mavs 3rd most important player after Luka and KP. I remember he literally carried bench in some games when Mavs were down and he came in and brought them back or either kept them in game. He was able to get to the rim or shoot it off the dribble from anywhere on the floor. He was a very important piece by providing much needed spacing.

I believe Curry was a perfect fit for the Mavs and i said to myself, whatever you do, don't get rid of him. Before the season started, first thing we saw was the Curry trade. I trusted Jrich will turn his career around with the Mavs but he's shooting below 30% from 3pt and besides getting angry at his teammates, he can't guard anyone on the perimeter. This trade was just a total failure.

Curry doesn't guard anywhere near the caliber of offensive players that JRich is assigned.
I'm not saying the trade turned out better for the Mavs by any means, but to imply that Curry is a better defender than JRich just isn't a fair implication.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,971

Post#34 » by Archx » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:01 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:

What defensive limitations? Jrich is statistically having WORSE season on defense than Curry with Mavs. Curry even had a better block% lol... And i'm not even going to go into stuff on offense because it just hurts my head. For example, Curry is/was doing even better than THJ this season on defense.

I said it back then and some people jumped on me but i'll say it again. Curry, in my opinion, was Mavs 3rd most important player after Luka and KP. I remember he literally carried bench in some games when Mavs were down and he came in and brought them back or either kept them in game. He was able to get to the rim or shoot it off the dribble from anywhere on the floor. He was a very important piece by providing much needed spacing.

I believe Curry was a perfect fit for the Mavs and i said to myself, whatever you do, don't get rid of him. Before the season started, first thing we saw was the Curry trade. I trusted Jrich will turn his career around with the Mavs but he's shooting below 30% from 3pt and besides getting angry at his teammates, he can't guard anyone on the perimeter. This trade was just a total failure.

Curry doesn't guard anywhere near the caliber of offensive players that JRich is assigned.
I'm not saying the trade turned out better for the Mavs by any means, but to imply that Curry is a better defender than JRich just isn't a fair implication.

I'll just quote myself.

Archx wrote:Jrich is STATISTICALLY having WORSE season on defense than Curry with Mavs

I specifically explained in later post i never said Curry is a better defender. But his offense did overshadow his limitations on defense.
DBoys
Starter

Post#35 » by DBoys » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:32 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:

What defensive limitations? Jrich is statistically having WORSE season on defense than Curry with Mavs. .

This.

It also needs to be noted that these "stats" are dubious at best. Rating "defensive play" on blocks and stats is well known to be an awful method of evaluation. In addition, what we're looking at is a small sample size using a time which is highly impacted by J-Rich having covid and trying to round back into health, and into shape, as he plays -- alongside a team that is filled with subpar players for the same reason. Making hard evaluations based on that stretch? That's a big mistake.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#36 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:42 pm

DBoys wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:
What defensive limitations? Jrich is statistically having WORSE season on defense than Curry with Mavs. .

This.

It also needs to be noted that these "stats" are small sample size using a time which is highly impacted by J-Rich having covid and trying to round back into health, and into shape, as he plays -- alongside a team that is filled with subpar players for the same reason. Making hard evaluations based on that stretch? That's a big mistake.

Ok, leaving stats aside, how does Richardson look to you, when you watch Mavs?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#37 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:48 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

But in that week my obsession has climbed to # 6 in Nba ladder from nowhere and kinda proved my point. ;)

I see that Green has been sent in G-league. RC really doesn't like him apparently. Probably the best solution for Green.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#38 » by Teffer10 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:09 am

Bob8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

I see that Green has been sent in G-league. RC really doesn't like him apparently. Probably the best solution for Green.

The G-League seems to be the 1st step out the door for any young Mavs player in the RC era who started the season in the rotation.
I have a feeling Green will be dealt in a package similar as Anderson and Larkin were.

I can't think of one Mav that was sent down to the G or D Leagues and then came back up to become part of the rotation.
Probably were some (maybe DFS) but can't think of any.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#39 » by BlueSan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:12 am

This time it will be different they'll be back in no time ready to play starter's minutes and contend for rookie of the year
DBoys
Starter

Post#40 » by DBoys » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:17 am

"how does Richardson look to you, when you watch Mavs?"

I certainly don't sit and watch the games to see how well JR plays D, I follow the ball usually. Of course, the big picture is obvious - right now the whole team is awful on defense.

But general impression all season is that JR looks better than most to me (as does DFS) in man matchups. And it looks to me like the Mavs trust JR to be on the hardest small guy to guard, and he might guard 1-3. By comparison, Curry was never that guy - he was always tasked to guard the easiest matchup.

Return to Dallas Mavericks