ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Magic (Monday, 7PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Magic (Monday, 7PM EST) 

Post#61 » by BlueSan » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:08 am

again poor defense with KP on the floor, but a win is a win.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#62 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:51 am

Excellent win.
it feels good to be a game above .500

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#63 » by fuller4379 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 6:47 am

9-3 over the last 12 games.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#64 » by jpengland » Tue Mar 2, 2021 7:00 am

dirkforpres wrote:
jpengland wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Rick Carlisle is the most useless coach ever. How are you not going to challenge the obvious out of bounds on Orlando OR call a timeout when Luka has one shoe on? Wtf are you even doing on the bench?

Christ. Give it up, man.

Good win. Over. 500. 8-2 over last 10.

Brunson becoming invaluable.

You’ll never see me say a bad thing about Brunson.

Coaching is shite. How on earth is it a good game plan to line Porzingis up for 10 3 point attempts vs 5 attempts inside the line? It’s a travesty

It stretches the floor and opens it up for everybody else.

If he shoots them at his average clip, they are good for over a point per possession, great efficiency.

It also led to the efficient offense of all time last year. But of course you believe that was all down to Silas who is currently overseeing the 26th best offense in the league.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,432

Post#65 » by Mavrelous » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:24 am

dirkforpres wrote:You’ll never see me say a bad thing about Brunson.

Coaching is shite. How on earth is it a good game plan to line Porzingis up for 10 3 point attempts vs 5 attempts inside the line? It’s a travesty

You don't think that RC had a lot to do with Brunson development from a no D chucker who runs the clock before passing, to legit scoring option and secondary playmaker? THJ was also a punishment from the Knicks and turned under Carlisle to a legit shooting threat, and this year he moved to the bench and lead the second unit and it made him more valuable.
RC has his head scratching decisions, but overall, if you remove the COVID episode, and account for KPs slow comeback, the team has done very well.
We're not coaches, there are many things we don't know, look at the larger picture.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#66 » by Bob8 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:51 am

Brunson better than Richardson in everything. Points, rebounds, assists, (playing 7 minute less), shooting %, efficiency, Netrtg, +/-, on/off...
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#67 » by dirkforpres » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:11 pm

jpengland wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
jpengland wrote:
Christ. Give it up, man.

Good win. Over. 500. 8-2 over last 10.

Brunson becoming invaluable.

If he shoots them at his average clip, they are good for over a point per possession, great efficiency.

It also led to the efficient offense of all time last year. But of course you believe that was all down to Silas who is currently overseeing the 26th best offense in the league.

Are you really trying to compare a Luka/KP led roster to a Wall/Oladipo led roster? I do put an emphasis on coaching, but you still have to have guys on the court that can play. Rick does, Silas doesn’t. There’s no reason why the team should look as bad as they do on both ends of the court simply because they lost Seth Curry, so I am definitely pointing the finger at coaching. This team should be a 4-5 seed if they were actually showing minimal effort on defense or actually calling plays on offense other than lining 5 players up along the perimeter while being the 23rd best shooting team in the league.

Opening up the offense is the lamest excuse for putting the biggest guy on the court in his most inefficient spots. The defense should be thanking him every time he lines up from 3. Why wouldn’t you try and wear down the defense with contact when every night you are the biggest/strongest player on the court? There’s no excuse for having a 7’3 player line up for ten 3’s when he shoots as bad as he does. It’s lazy play calling and the fact that Rick hasn’t adjusted the game plan despite the fact that he shoots them at a Antoine Walker level efficiency and the team isn’t even the playoffs is just shameful
FIRE JASON KIDD
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#68 » by ejs78 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:23 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
jpengland wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Are you really trying to compare a Luka/KP led roster to a Wall/Oladipo led roster? I do put an emphasis on coaching, but you still have to have guys on the court that can play. Rick does, Silas doesn’t. There’s no reason why the team should look as bad as they do on both ends of the court simply because they lost Seth Curry, so I am definitely pointing the finger at coaching. This team should be a 4-5 seed if they were actually showing minimal effort on defense or actually calling plays on offense other than lining 5 players up along the perimeter while being the 23rd best shooting team in the league.

Opening up the offense is the lamest excuse for putting the biggest guy on the court in his most inefficient spots. The defense should be thanking him every time he lines up from 3. Why wouldn’t you try and wear down the defense with contact when every night you are the biggest/strongest player on the court? There’s no excuse for having a 7’3 player line up for ten 3’s when he shoots as bad as he does. It’s lazy play calling and the fact that Rick hasn’t adjusted the game plan despite the fact that he shoots them at a Antoine Walker level efficiency and the team isn’t even the playoffs is just shameful
I said the same thing as jpengland.

KP made two 3s in the second half and just like the the offense started clicking. Just the threat of him out there does alot for this team by opening lanes up. I wouldn't call KP the strongest player on the court and he isn't going to wear to many people down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#69 » by dirkforpres » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:29 pm

ejs78 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
jpengland wrote:

KP made two 3s in the second half and just like the the offense started clicking. Just the threat of him out there does alot for this team by opening lanes up. I wouldn't call KP the strongest player on the court and he isn't going to wear to many people down.

Backing down an opponent is always going to wear down your opponent regardless of how strong you are. That’s the most underrated part of why Dirk was such an incredible player. Because his post work effected guys at both ends.

Now you see Porzingis getting sized up by the other teams guards and he can’t do anything about it. Any competent big man should be able to exploit that night in and night out.

Regardless, I’m happy about the win. But forgive me for not jumping for joy over beating 8 of the worst teams in the league. This team still has major holes in it that need plugging
FIRE JASON KIDD
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#70 » by jpengland » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:31 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
jpengland wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

KP shooting 3s at a lower, but similar, rate to last year. When Dallas had the most efficient offense of all time.

And you were touting Silas as the offensive mastermind when Carlisle was having to start Iwundu and Green due to Covid. He'd have loved an Oladipo or Wall.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#71 » by jpengland » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:32 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Backing down an opponent is always going to wear down your opponent regardless of how strong you are. That’s the most underrated part of why Dirk was such an incredible player. Because his post work effected guys at both ends.

Now you see Porzingis getting sized up by the other teams guards and he can’t do anything about it. Any competent big man should be able to exploit that night in and night out.

Regardless, I’m happy about the win. But forgive me for not jumping for joy over beating 8 of the worst teams in the league. This team still has major holes in it that need plugging

You know what else wears teams out? Chasing after shooters on the perimeter.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#72 » by dirkforpres » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:38 pm

jpengland wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
ejs78 wrote:I said the same thing as jpengland.

You know what else wears teams out? Chasing after shooters on the perimeter.

Who is chasing KP at the perimeter? From what I remember, he was WIDE OPEN on all his first half attempts and hit 0 of them.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,096

Post#73 » by Dirk » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:38 pm

Any win is a great win for me. This team looked hopeless not far back and you wondered if they were one of the worst teams in the league. Now they've been able to string some wins together and it's becoming clear that the whole Covid thing had a huge impact...

It'd be nice to see the defensive numbers improve though.

Mavs last month
9-4
#6 offense
#26 defense

Luka throwing it down

60/21/10
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#74 » by dirkforpres » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:41 pm

jpengland wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
jpengland wrote:

KP shooting 3s at a lower, but similar, rate to last year. When Dallas had the most efficient offense of all time.

And you were touting Silas as the offensive mastermind when Carlisle was having to start Iwundu and Green due to Covid. He'd have loved an Oladipo or Wall.

Silas doesn’t have a Luka and the closest thing he’s had to one forced his way out of town. It’s ridiculous to try and compare this team to that team. Rick doesn’t make adjustments and has the most predictable offense in the league. If we had anyone else but Luka out there, we would be far and away the worst team in the league. Are you really going to try and fight that?
FIRE JASON KIDD
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#75 » by XTraderXL » Tue Mar 2, 2021 6:27 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
jpengland wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Silas doesn’t have a Luka and the closest thing he’s had to one forced his way out of town. It’s ridiculous to try and compare this team to that team. Rick doesn’t make adjustments and has the most predictable offense in the league. If we had anyone else but Luka out there, we would be far and away the worst team in the league. Are you really going to try and fight that?

I think you are exaggerating slightly but I do agree that this team is winning because of Luka. Take him out and they are the T-Wolves. Carlisle is very replacable, he is not a difference maker.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#76 » by ejs78 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:21 pm

How some people thought this had no impact is unreal (not saying you)

Look at Miami now.

The players gone don't have to be stars to impact how a team looks.
Dirk wrote:Any win is a great win for me. This team looked hopeless not far back and you wondered if they were one of the worst teams in the league. Now they've been able to string some wins together and it's becoming clear that the whole Covid thing had a huge impact...

Mavs last month
9-4
#6 offense
#26 defense

Luka throwing it down

jpengland
Head Coach

Post#77 » by jpengland » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:31 pm

ejs78 wrote:How some people thought this had no impact is unreal (not saying you)

Look at Miami now.

The players gone don't have to be stars to impact how a team looks.
Dirk wrote:Any win is a great win for me. This team looked hopeless not far back and you wondered if they were one of the worst teams in the league. Now they've been able to string some wins together and it's becoming clear that the whole Covid thing had a huge impact...

Mavs last month
9-4
#6 offense
#26 defense

Luka throwing it down

Exactly. Especially with zero pre season too.

We are finding rhythm, guys are hitting their shots and the defensive rotations are improving.

Also rarely mentioned that we had one of the hardest opening schedules.

538 has us with about an 80% chance of making the playoffs now. I'd place it a little higher than that. We are finding a groove.

Return to Dallas Mavericks