ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Pacers (8:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Pacers (8:30PM EST) 

Post#41 » by boogiezen » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:18 am

Someone said that Luka ball-hogging so much is not good for the team? Just look at this game. Lol.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#42 » by Archx » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:26 am

Heezzi wrote:
Archx wrote:As good as KP has been or is, this is still all Doncic team and no one can convince me otherwise. What a bad loss this is. And possibly without both Luka and KP tomorrow, it could become even worse.

Which is why the team is bad. Those Cavaliers' Lebron teams never won when the whole focus was him. At least last year you had Curry who could find shots for KP, himself, WCS, DFS, and everyone else. This current team only has one actual PG. So if Luka is out, the whole team falls apart. Last year, they beat the first place Bucks without Luka, but this year they wouldn't even be close if Luka is out.

Well yeah, i'm saying this for 2 straight years now. It's really obvious what's going on. If KP can continue to provide good rim protection now that he found his game, Brunson would be ideal in JJBarea's role, but he's not that type of player. Pacers basically kept it simple, they always had at least 1 playmaker on the floor who found open guys and they made their shots, really simple. And Turner provided excellent rim protection, had 7 blocks.

At one point Mavs had 5 shooters on the floor and no Jalen. Jrich trying to playmake is a total disaster, while THJ is like a deer running towards headlights. Luckily KP was playing like an all star at moments, so they did gave themselves a chance.

boogiezen wrote:Someone said that Luka ball-hogging so much is not good for the team? Just look at this game. Lol.

Those are just trolls or people who don't watch Mavs basketball. It's like saying Harden should only be a 3pt corner shooter. Makes no sense. And the worst part of that claim is, even normal and advance stats support that Doncic is playing the right way.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,029

Post#43 » by Dirk » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:01 pm

I watch the Blazers and Nuggets come back from double digits in the fourth quarter. Then I see the Mavs sitting the best player out... effectively giving up the game.

It's difficult to understand how the Mavs are giving up games when they had/have a chance to climb up in the standings. I guess one has to trust that Luka really couldn't play... and long term it was the right decision...

Bnice5 wrote:Trey Burke is horrible... his play as a ball handler is just flat out bad and he sucks so bad on D.

On the bright side, Josh Green gave some good minutes tonight.

Hard to win though without THJ, Brunson, or JRIch stepping up.... just a bad game all around

Yeah, given how great he looked in Orlando, Burke has been a huge disappointment. You'd think he'd have some explosive games, but he hasn't really had any, not for a long time.

In this particular game, I felt like Brunson was my biggest let down. Didn't feel like he took care of the ball/was able to stabilise the offense. Messy game.

The Mavs actually did quite well to come back in the game given how it looked like it'd be a blowout.

This totally killed the energy
60/21/10
DrPampiloni
Junior
And1: 363

Post#44 » by DrPampiloni » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:29 pm

Dirk wrote:

Such a bad call!

boogiezen wrote:Someone said that Luka ball-hogging so much is not good for the team? Just look at this game. Lol.

There has to be a golden middle. KP was very efficient early on in the post. He has to get those looks also when Luka is on the court. On the other hand KP has to do better than yesterday at drawing fouls instead of going head-on into the highlight dunk attempt like a friggin medieval knight. Miles Turner blocked him like how many times? 4? That's the difference between a 12/24 and a 12/28 shooting night. Give him a pump-fake or a mini-jab.... FFS.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#45 » by leolozon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:40 pm

DrPampiloni wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Such a bad call!

There has to be a golden middle. KP was very efficient early on in the post. He has to get those looks also when Luka is on the court. On the other hand KP has to do better than yesterday at drawing fouls instead of going head-on into the highlight dunk attempt like a friggin medieval knight. Miles Turner blocked him like how many times? 4? That's the difference between a 12/24 and a 12/28 shooting night. Give him a pump-fake or a mini-jab.... FFS.

The problem is that he's widely inconsistent from the post. He's a 7'3 guy with a career TS% of .543.

He would have to become consistent before we can really trust him in the post.

It's his best year so far when it comes to efficiency, so he's on the right track. One of the reason, is probably that he's not dribbling as much. Last year 78% of his shots were after 0 or 1 dribble; this year it's 83%. He's much more efficient on those.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#46 » by Heezzi » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:51 pm

DrPampiloni wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Such a bad call!

There isn't a Golden middle until Luka stops ballhogging. If another player is hotter than him, he will get jealous and freeze them out.

The team isn't going to evolve until Luka feeds KP the way he needs to.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#47 » by leolozon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:15 pm

Heezzi wrote:
DrPampiloni wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Such a bad call!

There isn't a Golden middle until Luka stops ballhogging. If another player is hotter than him, he will get jealous and freeze them out.

What are you even talking about? Luka has passed time and time again to the guy with the hot hands

Jealous? Is that a joke? Are you watching the team.

How many exemples do you have of Luka being jealous and freezing a guy out?
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#48 » by Bob8 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:41 pm

Heezzi wrote:
DrPampiloni wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Such a bad call!

Luka ball hogging is 22-17, Luka not ball hogging is 1-3. And those 1-3 is against losing teams.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#49 » by Bob8 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:42 pm

Heezzi wrote:
DrPampiloni wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Such a bad call!

Luka ball hogging is 22-17, Luka not ball hogging is 1-3. And those 1-3 is against losing teams and averaging less than 100 points per game.

Luka has +3.7 +/- and + 8.3 on/off. KP is - 1.4 +/- and - 3.9 on/off.

Luka has 117.5 offrtg, Mavericks has 113.7 offrtg.
Archx
RealGM

Post#50 » by Archx » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:35 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Heezzi wrote:
DrPampiloni wrote:
Such a bad call!

Luka ball hogging is 22-17, Luka not ball hogging is 1-3. And those 1-3 is against losing teams and averaging less than 100 points per game.

Bob8 correct me if i'm wrong.

I think Mavs as a team, have 106 ORTG when Luka is off the floor and 119 when he is ON. That's +13.2. . That's better than Harden and just slightly worse than Jokic. Pretty good for a "selfish ball-hogging guy".
Bob8
General Manager

Post#51 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:28 am

Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Heezzi wrote:There isn't a Golden middle until Luka stops ballhogging. If another player is hotter than him, he will get jealous and freeze them out.

I think Mavs as a team, have 106 ORTG when Luka is off the floor and 119 when he is ON. That's +13.2. . That's better than Harden and just slightly worse than Jokic. Pretty good for a "selfish ball-hogging guy".

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612742/onoffcourt-summary
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#52 » by Heezzi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:56 am

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

WCS has the highest on/off on the team.
Archx
RealGM

Post#53 » by Archx » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:01 am

Heezzi wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Because he is mostly playing with Doncic on the floor who is spoon feeding him buckets. And if you look at lineups, you'll notice that when WCS is on the floor, they have one of the highest FG% aswell, and also positive +/-. Maybe WCS is not as bad as we say but still, he's incredibly clumsy. So it's quite a surprise that he's that effective.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#54 » by Bob8 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:34 am

Heezzi wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Point here is, if Luka is ball hogging and freezing others, why Mavs offrtg is 13.7 points better with him on the court?
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#55 » by boogiezen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:58 am

Imagine Luka not ball hogging and still losing.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)

Return to Dallas Mavericks