ImageImageImage

What's your perfect(realistic) offseason?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,439

Re: What's your perfect(realistic) offseason? 

Post#101 » by Mavrelous » Wed May 26, 2021 4:40 pm

arkuo wrote:Sacramento is an ideal trading partner for Buddy Hield.

They want to ship him out to make more minutes for a Haliburton and Fox backcourt. They won't be spending all that money for Hield just to come off the bench. I'd say wait for Richardson to opt in, package him with Dwight Powell, add a pick and get Hield.

Re-sign THJ to 16 to 18M per. Sign Richaun Holmes or Montrezl Harrell with the money left. Give Josh Green a bigger role off the bench next year with a full training camp.

C - Porzingis / WCS
PF - Holmes / Kleber
SF - Hield / DFS
SG - THJ / Green
PG - Doncic / Brunson

That should elevate the quality of the starting 5. A lot of people prefer Giannis, but c'mon. THJ already has those Jason Terry numbers. Have Hield play the Caron Butler role.

That exactly would be my plan, even if JRich opts out, Powell for Hield save Kings 10million immediately and 40 million over the course of Hield contract, sign a Richaun Holmes type of player and roll with it, that's a deep team, full of shooters, that fit nicely with Luka.

C - Porzingis / WCS / vet min C
PF - Holmes / Kleber
SF - DFS / Green / Bey
SG - Hield / THJ / Hinton
PG - Doncic / Brunson / Burke/ Terry
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#102 » by ejs78 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 pm

The issue is if they trade us Hield it opens up more room for the Kings to resign Holmes if he wants to stay.
KhalilS wrote:
arkuo wrote:Sacramento is an ideal trading partner for Buddy Hield.

They want to ship him out to make more minutes for a Haliburton and Fox backcourt. They won't be spending all that money for Hield just to come off the bench. I'd say wait for Richardson to opt in, package him with Dwight Powell, add a pick and get Hield.

Re-sign THJ to 16 to 18M per. Sign Richaun Holmes or Montrezl Harrell with the money left. Give Josh Green a bigger role off the bench next year with a full training camp.

C - Porzingis / WCS
PF - Holmes / Kleber
SF - Hield / DFS
SG - THJ / Green
PG - Doncic / Brunson

That should elevate the quality of the starting 5. A lot of people prefer Giannis, but c'mon. THJ already has those Jason Terry numbers. Have Hield play the Caron Butler role.

That exactly would be my plan, even if JRich opts out, Powell for Hield save Kings 10million immediately and 40 million over the course of Hield contract, sign a Richaun Holmes type of player and roll with it, that's a deep team, full of shooters, that fit nicely with Luka.

C - Porzingis / WCS / vet min C
PF - Holmes / Kleber
SF - DFS / Green / Bey
SG - Hield / THJ / Hinton
PG - Doncic / Brunson / Burke/ Terry

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,439

Post#103 » by Mavrelous » Wed May 26, 2021 5:19 pm

Yeah, but you can go for Harrel (if Luka agrees :) ) or take a flier on something else OPJ.
Wizards were stuck with very short big rotation, they went for Gafford, it paid off.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Post#104 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:29 pm

Guys Harrell is trash in PO, stay away from him...
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#105 » by arkuo » Wed May 26, 2021 6:20 pm

KhalilS wrote:Yeah, but you can go for Harrel (if Luka agrees :) ) or take a flier on something else OPJ.
Wizards were stuck with very short big rotation, they went for Gafford, it paid off.

In as much as I want a Holmes signing, I have this gut feel that even after getting Buddy Hield, Cuban would rather go after a Lauri Markannen signing.

Could very well end up as:

C- Porzingis / WCS
PF- Markannen / Kleber
SF- Hield / DFS
SG - THJ / Green
PG - Doncic / Brunson
Bnice5
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#106 » by Bnice5 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:51 pm

arkuo wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Yeah, but you can go for Harrel (if Luka agrees :) ) or take a flier on something else OPJ.

In as much as I want a Holmes signing, I have this gut feel that even after getting Buddy Hield, Cuban would rather go after a Lauri Markannen signing.

Could very well end up as:

C- Porzingis / WCS
PF- Markannen / Kleber
SF- Hield / DFS
SG - THJ / Green
PG - Doncic / Brunson

Yikes that starting squad has no D whatsoever… maybe if Kleber and DFS start and Hield and Mark go to the second squad…

I would probably want to find another PF/C that could provide depth given injury history with this group
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#107 » by Mr B » Wed May 26, 2021 7:07 pm

Well JRich will likely opt in. Also I expect the Mavs will resign THJ. After that maybe the make a run at Duncan Robinson. That will pretty much be the entire off season, which I’m actually ok with. As long as KP stays healthy in the playoffs he isn’t going anywhere. They basically roll back the same team with the exception of the addition of Duncan Robinson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#108 » by JJP » Wed May 26, 2021 7:31 pm

I'm not sure JRich opts in now that he's coming off the bench. If I were him, I'd rather be getting more minutes if his salary can hold. He's going to be a question mark until the end of FA I think.

I suspect KP probably stays, but his effort in this post-season may determine that (and the availability of a trade partner).
arkuo
General Manager

Post#109 » by arkuo » Wed May 26, 2021 7:38 pm

Mr B wrote:Well JRich will likely opt in. Also I expect the Mavs will resign THJ. After that maybe the make a run at Duncan Robinson. That will pretty much be the entire off season, which I’m actually ok with. As long as KP stays healthy in the playoffs he isn’t going anywhere. They basically roll back the same team with the exception of the addition of Duncan Robinson.

Duncan Robinson should be a huge upgrade over DFS. If Donnie gave Harrison Barnes $24M per years ago, I'd expect the same or around that figure to be offered to Robinson.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:06 pm

I'm not so high on Duncan Robinson, basically he only shoots 3...ok at elite level but for each others aspect of the game he is worse than DFS.

24M for this guy are way too much...15M are good.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#111 » by Mr B » Wed May 26, 2021 10:10 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:Well JRich will likely opt in. Also I expect the Mavs will resign THJ. After that maybe the make a run at Duncan Robinson. That will pretty much be the entire off season, which I’m actually ok with. As long as KP stays healthy in the playoffs he isn’t going anywhere. They basically roll back the same team with the exception of the addition of Duncan Robinson.

Duncan Robinson should be a huge upgrade over DFS. If Donnie gave Harrison Barnes $24M per years ago, I'd expect the same or around that figure to be offered to Robinson.

DFS isn’t going anywhere this off season though. Also I see Josh Green as his eventual replacement. Duncan Robinson will fill the role that we thought we were getting with Redick. Except that Robinson is younger and bigger and less injured. If we can add Robinson without losing THJ that would be ideal.

ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#112 » by ejs78 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:19 am

Exactly.

Different team and the offense changed with Westbrook there, but Bertans got 18 mil a year and turned into a pumpkin this year.
41Dirk41 wrote:I'm not so high on Duncan Robinson, basically he only shoots 3...ok at elite level but for each others aspect of the game he is worse than DFS.

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#113 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu May 27, 2021 4:40 am

ejs78 wrote:Exactly.

Different team and the offense changed with Westbrook there, but Bertans got 18 mil a year and turned into a pumpkin this year.
41Dirk41 wrote:I'm not so high on Duncan Robinson, basically he only shoots 3...ok at elite level but for each others aspect of the game he is worse than DFS.

Horrible analogy. Westbrook isn't Luka. Bertans played 15 less games than Duncan Robinson. Duncan played all 72 games this year.

Bertans never got into a rhythm with the Wizards. Russ first season with them, and you could argue Russ even hurt Bertans' #s. Certainly his rebounding #s. Same way he use to hurt Adams' rebounding #s.

We're talking about Westbrook at 32 years old compared to Luka starting next season at 22 years old, and signing Robinson to be the sniper alongside him in Luka's formidable years.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#114 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu May 27, 2021 4:43 am

Flawed logic to compare DFS to Duncan Robinson. Luka can get Robinson looks he'll never get. Robinson can make it so teams just can't double Luka ever.

Luka can't make DFS a better defender. That's apples to oranges.

Where did 24M come from? At that point, I'm having serious second doubts about Duncan Robinson. $20 mil a year is about my ceiling. Would hop for 15, but 17 or 18 is more likely.

Edit: Nevermind. Seeing that now. I would so much rather have Duncan Robinson on next year's squad than I was keen on paying Harrison Barnes for his Golden State success. Paying that money to add Duncan Robinson to Luka's arensal is like paying to upgrade a Ferrari. It makes sense, even if the cost doesn't. Paying for Barnes was like paying to put a $24,000 sound system into a 2009 Toyota Camry that's not even worth $12,000. It doesn't make sense, even if the $24,000 sound system was accurately priced.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#115 » by arkuo » Thu May 27, 2021 5:21 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Flawed logic to compare DFS to Duncan Robinson. Luka can get Robinson looks he'll never get. Robinson can make it so teams just can't double Luka ever.

Where did 24M come from? At that point, I'm having serious second doubts about Duncan Robinson. $20 mil a year is about my ceiling. Would hop for 15, but 17 or 18 is more likely.

Edit: Nevermind. Seeing that now. I would so much rather have Duncan Robinson on next year's squad than I was keen on paying Harrison Barnes for his Golden State success. Paying that money to add Duncan Robinson to Luka's arensal is like paying to upgrade a Ferrari. It makes sense, even if the cost doesn't. Paying for Barnes was like paying to put a $24,000 sound system into a 2009 Toyota Camry that's not even worth $12,000. It doesn't make sense, even if the $24,000 sound system was accurately priced.

That'a true. Duncan can start at SF, DFS can come off the bench depending on match ups.

Dallas has to overpay for free agents to come here. Duncan being RFA means Pat Riley can lock up your cap room for a week and wait for the free agent market to dry up, only to match Cuban's offer if he deems it fit.

Donnie was so slow at this the past couple of years. Even admitting he was having dinner at the point when the free agents were getting signed left and right. He didnt expect people to get signed up so fast, he said. And that's why his shirt sizes have gone up faster than championship banners.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#116 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:49 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Yes but Luka makes a good defender into a good shooter (Kleber and DFS shoots very well with Luka), Duncan is a sharpshooter no doubt about that and will increase his % with Luka.
But i think we need players who plays both side of the court, Dillon Brooks type of players.

Duncan Robinson isn't a huge upgrade over DFS... obviously should be a great addition for our squad.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#117 » by arkuo » Thu May 27, 2021 10:56 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Yes but Luka makes a good defender into a good shooter (Kleber and DFS shoots very well with Luka), Duncan is a sharpshooter no doubt about that and will increase his % with Luka.
But i think we need players who plays both side of the court, Dillon Brooks type of players.

Duncan Robinson isn't a huge upgrade over DFS... obviously should be a great addition for our squad.

Duncan should be the insurance policy in case DFS asks for a bigger contract. He is going to be a free agent soon. He averages like 5 points per game in the regular season.
I think we need more production from a starting SF. Kawhi was pretty fresh when he would guard DFS because he just stands in a corner. Imagine having him run around screens chasing Duncan Robinson. Bet you he wouldnt score 41 like the last game with tired legs.

That's why Ty Lue switches Kawhi off Luka to keep his legs fresh so he can score on the opposite end. With a more mobile SF who is a threat anywhere on the floor, he would have to choose between guarding Luka and getting into foul trouble early, or chase Duncan Robinson around. That's a luxury to have in Carlisle's offense.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#118 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu May 27, 2021 12:50 pm

arkuo wrote:That'a true. Duncan can start at SF, DFS can come off the bench depending on match ups.

Dallas has to overpay for free agents to come here. Duncan being RFA means Pat Riley can lock up your cap room for a week and wait for the free agent market to dry up, only to match Cuban's offer if he deems it fit.

Donnie was so slow at this the past couple of years. Even admitting he was having dinner at the point when the free agents were getting signed left and right. He didnt expect people to get signed up so fast, he said. And that's why his shirt sizes have gone up faster than championship banners.

Dallas has never had a player like Luka before. People didn't start fawning over Dirk until after he won a championship, and by then the Mavs didn't have any cap space. But yeah in general I think the Mavs will probably have to overpay to attract free agents here. Although, with Luka maybe not... and with Luka maybe they're making deep runs in the playoffs every year, which also will attract more free agents.

NBA teams only have 2 days to match offer sheets to restricted free agents, so Pat Riley can't lock up our cap room for a week: nba.com/news/free-agency-explained

Given that statement, it makes me question the Donnie has said "I'm terrible at my job" quote, which I've never heard him say.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#119 » by ejs78 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:03 pm

No its not.

Bertans main goal is too shoot like Robinson as neither can really do much more than that. 18 mil for Bertans and you wanna give 24 to Robinson. That's a disastrous move.
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Exactly.

Horrible analogy. Westbrook isn't Luka. Bertans played 15 less games than Duncan Robinson. Duncan played all 72 games this year.

Bertans never got into a rhythm with the Wizards. Russ first season with them, and you could argue Russ even hurt Bertans' #s. Certainly his rebounding #s. Same way he use to hurt Adams' rebounding #s.

We're talking about Westbrook at 32 years old compared to Luka starting next season at 22 years old, and signing Robinson to be the sniper alongside him in Luka's formidable years.

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#120 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu May 27, 2021 1:16 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Yes but Luka makes a good defender into a good shooter (Kleber and DFS shoots very well with Luka), Duncan is a sharpshooter no doubt about that and will increase his % with Luka.

What you're saying makes sense, and maybe I'm getting too attached to the idea of Duncan Robinson playing along side Luka. Never a good thing to get too attached to an idea.

I do disagree that Duncan Robinson isn't a huge upgrade over DFS tho. First, DFS has this reputation among Mavs fans as a defensive stopper. Tuesday night when Kawhi was giving us work in the 1H, how many possessions did DFS guard him? Where's the game where DFS took on LeBron or Bradley Beal or Steph or a big time scorer and locked them up? I don't remember.

I think DFS is an above average defender and has intangibles that are valuable, but he's not so good that you're looking at one of the top available FAs and thinking "not a huge upgrade over DFS". He's not in that category.

DFS & Duncan Robinson are two different players. I mean would Tony Allen and Kyle Korver being getting compared to each other? They have two different functions on a team. DFS has turned into a good 3 point shooter, if he's open. DFS 39% (37% and 31% the two seasons prior). Duncan Robinson is 40% with a hand in his face at all times, with having to fight through screens just to get a little daylight. Duncan was 44% last season when he wasn't at the top of every opponent's scouting report, with those quality looks like Luka will provide.

The main thing for me is we have the cap space, we have the chance to add a valuable piece, and there's not much else to consider this offseason. For example, if the free agent class included big names like Devin Booker, Jrue Holiday, Zach LaVine, Jayson Tatum, Christian Wood, DeJounte Murray, etc. then Duncan Robinson might take a backseat in my plans. That's not the case, though. Duncan is one of the top 3 or 4 players the Mavs could sign this offseason.

The other thing is this. What do you think the market would be for 2014-2015 Kyle Korver who led the league with 49.2% 3PM if he were available this offseason? And that guy was 27.

Return to Dallas Mavericks