ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST)

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,276
And1: 704
Joined: Apr 02, 2006
 

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#41 » by Captain_Obvious » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:03 am

Sunday will be Rick's last game if we lose against the Kings

4 straight losses now, I don't care we won one of those by unreal luck

5 straight should do it, go Kings!
leolozon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,781
And1: 5,379
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#42 » by leolozon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:03 am

Hey Luka, instead of practicing trick shots... practice FTs some more!
Bnice5
Freshman
Posts: 80
And1: 27
Joined: Oct 17, 2020
   

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#43 » by Bnice5 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:05 am

This team sucks if the scrubs don’t make open 3s
Archx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,029
And1: 3,483
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#44 » by Archx » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:05 am

Playing Luka and KP entire 3rd Q and then letting them sit when Knics make a run, that's stupid. Jrich playing in the 4th instead of THJ who was hot all game is also something i don't understand.

And same **** as with Derozan, Rick had no clue how to adjust and change their defense on Randle. How do you lose when Luka has 18 assists, that's crazy.
agentofatlas
Pro Prospect
Posts: 934
And1: 477
Joined: May 23, 2011

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#45 » by agentofatlas » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:07 am

Absinthe wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Rick Carlisle is such a f***ing bum.

these type of games i blame on coaches. i mean its important to not panic and be calm but sometimes you gotta show some emotion out there, not on the locker room, but on the sidelines to get your team amped up. RC no matter what is just this cool as if hes ok with whats happening.


I think Carlisle is a decent coach. I would say he’s a good coach. The problem he has is the roster. He has two above average players in Luka and Porzingis and then there’s a big drop off to players like Hardaway and Brunson. DFS would get limited minutes on a lot of teams. Same goes for Maxi. Same goes for Powell. Same goes for Reddick. Same goes for WCS. Combine the talent drop off with the fact that Porzingis seems like he plays every third game and it’s a headache for any coach. Would Brad Stevens be more successful with this team? Would Steve Kerr? What about Nick Nurse? Or Doc Rivers? Or any coach, really? I’m very doubtful. Very doubtful of that being remotely true. Honestly, if you subtract Luka from this team you’re looking at bottom of the NBA talent. It’s cruel but it’s true. There’s no miracle worker who can save that.


I agree. Rick's not the primary problem of this team. I think everyone here knows the roster is just bad.

It's a bunch of 6th to 12th men as starters. I mean we have bigs who don't really do big man things. 3 and D players who on most night can only do one of those things or none at all and guards who can't run an offense.

The FO really needs to step up this offseason. But with Donnie at the helm, I'm not that optimistic.
Bluelabel24
Junior
Posts: 264
And1: 47
Joined: Feb 03, 2019
   

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#46 » by Bluelabel24 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:11 am

Absinthe wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Rick Carlisle is such a f***ing bum.

these type of games i blame on coaches. i mean its important to not panic and be calm but sometimes you gotta show some emotion out there, not on the locker room, but on the sidelines to get your team amped up. RC no matter what is just this cool as if hes ok with whats happening.


I think Carlisle is a decent coach. I would say he’s a good coach. The problem he has is the roster. He has two above average players in Luka and Porzingis and then there’s a big drop off to players like Hardaway and Brunson. DFS would get limited minutes on a lot of teams. Same goes for Maxi. Same goes for Powell. Same goes for Reddick. Same goes for WCS. Combine the talent drop off with the fact that Porzingis seems like he plays every third game and it’s a headache for any coach. Would Brad Stevens be more successful with this team? Would Steve Kerr? What about Nick Nurse? Or Doc Rivers? Or any coach, really? I’m very doubtful. Very doubtful of that being remotely true. Honestly, if you subtract Luka from this team you’re looking at bottom of the NBA talent. It’s cruel but it’s true. There’s no miracle worker who can save that.

roster is part of the problem. But with coaches its not only about playcalling and schemes. A vital part of it is the ability to bring out the best in what you have, giving great pep talks and motivating guys. good example right now is the Grizz(decent overall team, defense/offense/rebounding), they dont even have their 2nd best in JJJ and we are only 1game ahead in the loss column. Im not saying RC is bad, but he has to adjust something immediately, maybe he has tried it behind the scenes, now atleast try it differently. Which is the issue of most fans.. he is unwilling to try other stuff like playing bey even when you got rotation guys playing like garbage.
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 43,651
And1: 4,232
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#47 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:11 am

Disappointing loss!
Things won't improve until the roster improves. Cuban and company must wakeup this off-season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
leolozon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,781
And1: 5,379
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#48 » by leolozon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:13 am

I really don't like when teams keep fouling down 8 with 24 seconds to go. You've lost, just accept it. It's not being competitive.

It looks like the Knicks could score whenever they wanted too. The Mavs didn't even play bad offensively.

The Blazers won by 1 without Lillard... I thought this was the day the Mavs caught the Blazers, but they end up 2 games behind. WTF...
Golden Knight
Starter
Posts: 2,410
And1: 3,568
Joined: Feb 27, 2017
   

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#49 » by Golden Knight » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:13 am

A team really has some serious roster problems if a $4M guy is no.2 in the team in minutes-per-game played.
fuller4379
Analyst
Posts: 3,168
And1: 894
Joined: May 05, 2014

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#50 » by fuller4379 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:14 am

HMFFL wrote:Disappointing loss!
Things won't improve until the roster improves. Cuban and company must wakeup this off-season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app



The problem is that free agents don’t want to come here, and the Mavs are short in draft picks. They can’t trade their way to a good team like they did in the 00s when the Mavs could trade for quality but overpaid players.
Archx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,029
And1: 3,483
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#51 » by Archx » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:17 am

agentofatlas wrote:
Absinthe wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:these type of games i blame on coaches. i mean its important to not panic and be calm but sometimes you gotta show some emotion out there, not on the locker room, but on the sidelines to get your team amped up. RC no matter what is just this cool as if hes ok with whats happening.


I think Carlisle is a decent coach. I would say he’s a good coach. The problem he has is the roster. He has two above average players in Luka and Porzingis and then there’s a big drop off to players like Hardaway and Brunson. DFS would get limited minutes on a lot of teams. Same goes for Maxi. Same goes for Powell. Same goes for Reddick. Same goes for WCS. Combine the talent drop off with the fact that Porzingis seems like he plays every third game and it’s a headache for any coach. Would Brad Stevens be more successful with this team? Would Steve Kerr? What about Nick Nurse? Or Doc Rivers? Or any coach, really? I’m very doubtful. Very doubtful of that being remotely true. Honestly, if you subtract Luka from this team you’re looking at bottom of the NBA talent. It’s cruel but it’s true. There’s no miracle worker who can save that.


I agree. Rick's not the primary problem of this team. I think everyone here knows the roster is just bad.

It's a bunch of 6th to 12th men as starters. I mean we have bigs who don't really do big man things. 3 and D players who on most night can only do one of those things or none at all and guards who can't run an offense.

The FO really needs to step up this offseason. But with Donnie at the helm, I'm not that optimistic.


So if i understand correctly. You're saying Knicks have a better roster than the Mavs, and the difference is, Knicks players themselves figured out how to limit Doncic's drive to the rim, while Rick didn't have the right players to limit Randle and Derozan before?

But in all seriousness, you are right, Luka and JJ were the only ones with positive +/-. Still i think this game would have been a lot different if Rick didn't wait until Knicks made that run in the 4th while Powell couldn't even grab a rebound on defense and Brunson was stinking it up on offense.
User avatar
Fat Kat
RealGM
Posts: 28,429
And1: 20,452
Joined: Apr 19, 2004
     

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#52 » by Fat Kat » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:22 am

Dirk wrote:Puttting it simple: This is personal. Game of the season.
Image


Good game
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
dirkforpres
RealGM
Posts: 10,178
And1: 4,956
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#53 » by dirkforpres » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:23 am

HMFFL wrote:Disappointing loss!
Things won't improve until the roster improves. Cuban and company must wakeup this off-season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Useless coach and useless GM plus no 1st rounder. Don’t hold your breath.

We will probably just sign an old Marc Gasol and assume that fixes all problems
FIRE RICK CARLISLE
leolozon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,781
And1: 5,379
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#54 » by leolozon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:23 am

Couldn't they have put a bigger body on Randle? Or double him sooner.

Randle had a great game, but it's like there was no defense. Tyler Bey could potentially be useful against a guy like Randle, but the team never bothered to give him some playing time.

Let's draft some defensive guys because we want defense, but let's never play them and instead play bad defensive guys.
dirkforpres
RealGM
Posts: 10,178
And1: 4,956
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#55 » by dirkforpres » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:29 am

leolozon wrote:Couldn't they have put a bigger body on Randle? Or double him sooner.

Randle had a great game, but it's like there was no defense. Tyler Bey could potentially be useful against a guy like Randle, but the team never even bothered to give him some playing time.


Lol bro do you know who our coach is? We don’t ever make defensive adjustments regardless of how logical it is
FIRE RICK CARLISLE
boogiezen
Sophomore
Posts: 140
And1: 87
Joined: Aug 27, 2020

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#56 » by boogiezen » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:29 am

How can you let BOTH KP and Luka sit at the start of 4th quarter? Hahahahaha Rick!
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Apz
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,498
And1: 394
Joined: Jan 18, 2019
   

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#57 » by Apz » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:34 am

Well, that was a **** show
User avatar
Absinthe
Junior
Posts: 443
And1: 208
Joined: Jul 07, 2014

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#58 » by Absinthe » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:52 am

Bluelabel24 wrote:
Absinthe wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:these type of games i blame on coaches. i mean its important to not panic and be calm but sometimes you gotta show some emotion out there, not on the locker room, but on the sidelines to get your team amped up. RC no matter what is just this cool as if hes ok with whats happening.


I think Carlisle is a decent coach. I would say he’s a good coach. The problem he has is the roster. He has two above average players in Luka and Porzingis and then there’s a big drop off to players like Hardaway and Brunson. DFS would get limited minutes on a lot of teams. Same goes for Maxi. Same goes for Powell. Same goes for Reddick. Same goes for WCS. Combine the talent drop off with the fact that Porzingis seems like he plays every third game and it’s a headache for any coach. Would Brad Stevens be more successful with this team? Would Steve Kerr? What about Nick Nurse? Or Doc Rivers? Or any coach, really? I’m very doubtful. Very doubtful of that being remotely true. Honestly, if you subtract Luka from this team you’re looking at bottom of the NBA talent. It’s cruel but it’s true. There’s no miracle worker who can save that.

roster is part of the problem. But with coaches its not only about playcalling and schemes. A vital part of it is the ability to bring out the best in what you have, giving great pep talks and motivating guys. good example right now is the Grizz(decent overall team, defense/offense/rebounding), they dont even have their 2nd best in JJJ and we are only 1game ahead in the loss column. Im not saying RC is bad, but he has to adjust something immediately, maybe he has tried it behind the scenes, now atleast try it differently. Which is the issue of most fans.. he is unwilling to try other stuff like playing bey even when you got rotation guys playing like garbage.


I partially agree. He doesn’t do well with defensive adjustments and rotations. It’s probably his worst trait as a coach. On the other hand, pep talks and motivation only works when you have the talent to supplement it. Like I said earlier, I would consider four players on this team to be solid rotational pieces. Four. This team can’t even field a starting five of solid pieces. And they won’t be able to unless free agency pans out or they make a trade. Players like DFS, WCS, Reddick, etc. would be fine pieces on teams where coaches can adjust based on a game to game basis. Carlisle doesn’t have that luxury on this team. He’s having to play middling players in some cases major minutes. And any other coach would have to do the same exact thing with the personnel they’re given.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 694
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#59 » by arkuo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:01 am

This is a bad look on Cuban and Luka. Coming out and complaining about the play in setup of the season yet they cant win supposedly winnable games. They'll just come off as whiny.
User avatar
Absinthe
Junior
Posts: 443
And1: 208
Joined: Jul 07, 2014

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#60 » by Absinthe » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:20 am

arkuo wrote:This is a bad look on Cuban and Luka. Coming out and complaining about the play in setup of the season yet they cant win supposedly winnable games. They'll just come off as whiny.


The play in is dumb and the truncated schedule has caused so many injuries it’s ridiculous.

Return to Dallas Mavericks