ImageImageImage

Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday, 4:30PM EST)

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

User avatar
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 8,687
And1: 26,343
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
     

Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday, 4:30PM EST) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Mon May 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Championship run starts here.

Image
---------------------------------------------
Head to Head this season
---------------------------------------------
Mar 17 Dallas 105, LA 89
Mar 15 LA 109, Dallas 99
Dec 27 Dallas 124, LA 73
---------------------------------------------

Image
43/17/13
KhalilS
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,574
And1: 994
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: PS 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#2 » by KhalilS » Mon May 17, 2021 8:59 pm

I remember Trey Burke's 3 to make 77-27 like it was yesterday, good days :)
User avatar
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 8,687
And1: 26,343
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
     

Re: PS 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#3 » by Dirk » Mon May 17, 2021 9:06 pm

KhalilS wrote:I remember Trey Burke's 3 to make 77-27 like it was yesterday, good days :)


Good vibes
Spoiler:


43/17/13
SOUNDCHASER
Rookie
Posts: 1,065
And1: 152
Joined: Feb 11, 2013

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#4 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue May 18, 2021 2:46 am

SOUNDCHASER
Rookie
Posts: 1,065
And1: 152
Joined: Feb 11, 2013

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#5 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue May 18, 2021 2:46 am

SOUNDCHASER
Rookie
Posts: 1,065
And1: 152
Joined: Feb 11, 2013

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#6 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue May 18, 2021 3:32 am

ACMFFL
Junior
Posts: 391
And1: 314
Joined: Jan 19, 2020
Location: Milan, Italy
   

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#7 » by ACMFFL » Tue May 18, 2021 9:03 am

We pick the worst opponent atm in the entire league after the Nets.
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
boogiezen
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 153
Joined: Aug 27, 2020

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#8 » by boogiezen » Tue May 18, 2021 12:01 pm

3 things

1. Shoot well
2. Defense that includes rebounding obviously
3. Less turnovers

If not, another first round exit.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
gottamakeit
Junior
Posts: 438
And1: 221
Joined: Jan 08, 2012

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#9 » by gottamakeit » Tue May 18, 2021 4:02 pm

boogiezen wrote:4 things

1. Shoot well
2. Defense that includes rebounding obviously
3. Less turnovers
4. Don't bail out the Clippers defense by jacking up shots early in the shot clock.

If not, another first round exit.
dirkforpres
RealGM
Posts: 10,397
And1: 5,224
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#10 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 18, 2021 4:11 pm

boogiezen wrote:3 things

1. Shoot well
2. Defense that includes rebounding obviously
3. Less turnovers

If not, another first round exit.


Basically just this. Mavs have lived by the 3 and died by the 3 all season long… I don’t see that changing at all in the postseason.

If Kleber, Richardson, and Melli continue playing as much as they do and shooting as poorly as they have been then it’ll be a quick exit.

The rotations should tighten now that it’s the playoffs, so hopefully that squeezes Melli out of the rotation entirely…. Mavs absolutely need to be hitting the open 3s that Luka finds them though
FIRE RICK CARLISLE
KhalilS
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,574
And1: 994
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#11 » by KhalilS » Tue May 18, 2021 4:24 pm

They released the 1st day games, Mavs are playing Saturday.
41Dirk41
Sophomore
Posts: 186
And1: 48
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#12 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue May 18, 2021 6:07 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
boogiezen wrote:3 things

1. Shoot well
2. Defense that includes rebounding obviously
3. Less turnovers

If not, another first round exit.


Basically just this. Mavs have lived by the 3 and died by the 3 all season long… I don’t see that changing at all in the postseason.

If Kleber, Richardson, and Melli continue playing as much as they do and shooting as poorly as they have been then it’ll be a quick exit.

The rotations should tighten now that it’s the playoffs, so hopefully that squeezes Melli out of the rotation entirely…. Mavs absolutely need to be hitting the open 3s that Luka finds them though


I think Nic Melli is the last of our problems in this series :lol:

From our roster only Luka could have in their rotations... We need a miracle.
KhalilS
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,574
And1: 994
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (TBA) 

Post#13 » by KhalilS » Tue May 18, 2021 7:11 pm

LouWill was huge fkr them last year, I couldn't imagine they'd trade him, OTOH Batum is a great addition.
Like DFP said, it'll come down to shooting, and tighter rotation, unless certain player is hacing a bad day.
Jalen should be getting 30MPG, Luka, DFS and KP 36 at least, whoever is rolling best between Powell and WCS should get the bulk of the minutes, JRich shouldn't see court if THJ's shot is falling, THJ should be on short leash not to shoot the team out of the game.
Boban, Burke and Melli should be kept for desperate measures, Boban was huge in game 4 comeback.
In addition to shooting, defense is key, KP should take his head out of his ass on that end.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
Posts: 963
And1: 240
Joined: Mar 02, 2021

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday) 

Post#14 » by RingColluder » Tue May 18, 2021 11:39 pm

Hello Mavs fans, good luck in the series against us!

On our board, there is an extremely heightened level of arrogance for the series that I feel is unwarranted. I am unconvinced. The series I am predicting to go 6 (for the Clippers) but would not be surprise at all if you guys manage to win it.

Luka to me is a top 5 player in the NBA right now, and after seeing what he did last year hobbled, I am very concerned he could look like the best player on the court again. It will be up to Kawhi in that sense to step up since PG has been an absolute abomination recently (which I am allowed to say since this is not the Clippers board lol).

If there is a difference maker, I'd say we have a much stronger bench. Having not seen many games of yours, I rarely if ever hear about any of your role players having great games or even double digit points (but I could be wrong). I've been totally unimpressed by your role players and bench other than Hardaway and Porzingis is iffy on and off. However your coach and Luka clearly make up for it.

Is the team better than last year's? I'm concerned talent wise we had a much better set up last year, and have to think w your team not making moves the chemistry and continuity has only improved (whereas we are straggling into the playoffs still with chemistry issues..)

Marcus Morris should be a major difference maker for us, and we have many questions at PG other than Rondo (who seems to only play 18-20 minutes, but hopefully goes up in the playoffs). We for some reason continue to play Paul George as a point guard, and he has been consistently averaging around 3-4 TO's a game and 3-4 assists a game, a total disgrace. He is an awful ball handler and horrible BBIQ. If he would just spot up as a 3pt shooter and occasionally drive to the basket for fouls we would be a much better and smarter team. Beverly looks awful and Ty Lue refuses to play XFactor TMann. Still the depth we have is outrageous.


I am very curious to see how good your bigmen play against Zu and Boogie (and an injured Ibaka). If you win that battle we'll be in for a rough series.

I much rather would have played the Trailblazers, Warriors, Spurs etc.. but for whatever reason we decided to avoid the Lakers. So it is. Good luck, and may the best team win. If we can't beat you guys, frankly we don't deserve to do anything in the playoffs and Luka will take a massive step forward.
SOUNDCHASER
Rookie
Posts: 1,065
And1: 152
Joined: Feb 11, 2013

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday) 

Post#15 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue May 18, 2021 11:48 pm

KP gets to prove he is worth paying him as much as he is making to the team as a whole. He can hit long distance bombs but what he really needs to do is get to the rim where he will do 2 things we really need him to do.

1. be in position for offensive rebounds that he can jam home after he drives in and passes out if he even needs to do that.

2. Draw fouls as the other team tries to defend him and protect the rim. Yeah stretch the court on the clippers by hitting a 3 from downtown every once in a while but keep attacking the rim and lets see you get them into huge foul trouble early so that you have a free throw fest and get to face a bunch of scrubs most of the game as they rest their bigs that get into foul trouble.

WCS gets to show he is not a scrub when he gets to play meaningful minutes at the 5 so he needs to rebound well and defend and block a lot of shots and when fed the bal slam dunks that Luka and others feed him.

Powell needs to be in when they have smaller bigs in the game that he can handle and he needs to do the same thing WCS does.

Kleeber needs to hit 3's and defend as well as possible. He too should match up with smaller bigs not the bigger guys like Zubac who for some reason will kill us way to often when Kleeber and Powell are in the game.

If that starts to happen I say you use Boban as an enforcer to make them fear using Zubac because we can use Boban to score and get fouls on them early. If I were RC I'd risk starting games with both Boban and KP to go really big and force them into trying to stop our bigs inside so you get as many fouls on them as early as possible.

That may get them into small ball mode and as they play a small ball line up we can stick in DFS at PF and JRich and THJ in there with Luka and play with guys who can drain 3's next to KP who can pass out to the hot man and use his length to cause them all kinds of problems with a rim game they cannot defend inside. Focus on driveswhere he attacks the rim and creates a layup drill because all their bigs are on the bench with foul trouble so he can take advantage of their being so small.

Zubac is the only really big guy they have.

Ibaka is 6'10 as is cousins who cannot run and gun like used to be able to do. KP will kill both of them and make them look like punks as he disects them with 3 point shooting to pull them out and then that will enable him to drive by them to the basket for the easy slam.

Just work on getting their only legit big guy into foul trouble it is really just that simple.

Early foul trouble for zubac = winning.

Get Boban in there early to work on making him mad and then drive to the basket with 2 bigs so if he drifts to you then your fellow big is open for a slam as you feed it to him on the dash.

Constant driving and finding the open man around the basket and get their freaking bigs in trouble with FOULS EARLY.. CAPICHE RC?????
Archx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,154
And1: 3,617
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday) 

Post#16 » by Archx » Tue May 18, 2021 11:51 pm

RingColluder wrote:Hello Mavs fans, good luck in the series against us!

On our board, there is an extremely heightened level of arrogance for the series that I feel is unwarranted. I am unconvinced. The series I am predicting to go 6 (for the Clippers) but would not be surprise at all if you guys manage to win it.


Heh, i can't blame LAC fans for being arrogant. They do have the record and players to prove that they can beat the Mavs.

Current Mavs team can be a hit or a miss, literally. When their 3pt shot is going, there is almost no defense that can stop them but if they're shooting below 35%-38% then even a team like current OKC can look like the Lakers vs them. It will be interesting to see how much rest can Doncic get and if KP can finally show his all star talent and dominate.
There are a ton of question marks about this team right now but yeah, i think we are also fairly confident aswell that we can beat the Clippers, specially with a healthy KP.

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Constant driving and finding the open man around the basket and get their freaking bigs in trouble with FOULS EARLY.. CAPICHE RC?????


I don't know why this made me laugh so hard but it's true. Luka can literally do anything he wants IF he really wants it. But he was way more rested and in a better shape in the bubble than he is now. So i'm going to be watching closely how easy he can get rid of his defenders and attack the rim.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
Posts: 963
And1: 240
Joined: Mar 02, 2021

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday) 

Post#17 » by RingColluder » Wed May 19, 2021 12:17 am

Archx wrote:
RingColluder wrote:Hello Mavs fans, good luck in the series against us!

On our board, there is an extremely heightened level of arrogance for the series that I feel is unwarranted. I am unconvinced. The series I am predicting to go 6 (for the Clippers) but would not be surprise at all if you guys manage to win it.


Heh, i can't blame LAC fans for being arrogant. They do have the record and players to prove that they can beat the Mavs.

Current Mavs team can be a hit or a miss, literally. When their 3pt shot is going, there is almost no defense that can stop them but if they're shooting below 35%-38% then even a team like current OKC can look like the Lakers vs them. It will be interesting to see how much rest can Doncic get and if KP can finally show his all star talent and dominate.
There are a ton of question marks about this team right now but yeah, i think we are also fairly confident aswell that we can beat the Clippers, specially with a healthy KP.

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Constant driving and finding the open man around the basket and get their freaking bigs in trouble with FOULS EARLY.. CAPICHE RC?????


I don't know why this made me laugh so hard but it's true. Luka can literally do anything he wants IF he really wants it. But he was way more rested and in a better shape in the bubble than he is now. So i'm going to be watching closely how easy he can get rid of his defenders and attack the rim.


I don't buy it given you guys gave us a very tough series last year despite an injured Porzingis and a hobbled Luka. And from the 3 games I saw this season, I did not like what I saw, particularly the 3rd game after your coach made adjustments and we stayed flat.

For the Clippers, that's a good sign to here re the 3 pt shot. I struggle to see you keeping that up for 4 games out of 7 especially since we have truly elite wing defenders. Porzingis is a major question mark to me. He needs to play a more physical style of ball in the post and not just rely on the 3 or I doubt he'll make the impact your team needs.
KhalilS
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,574
And1: 994
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday) 

Post#18 » by KhalilS » Wed May 19, 2021 6:17 am

It's a Matinée, like the Dec 27th game :)
wolfram
Junior
Posts: 367
And1: 274
Joined: May 21, 2018
 

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday) 

Post#19 » by wolfram » Wed May 19, 2021 7:41 am

I just hope it's a fun and competitive series. I kind of wanted to see Denver just because I'm tired of watching same players go at it again.
User avatar
Speadge
Sophomore
Posts: 151
And1: 158
Joined: Dec 01, 2018

Re: Playoffs 20/21 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Saturday) 

Post#20 » by Speadge » Wed May 19, 2021 11:27 am

KhalilS wrote:It's a Matinée, like the Dec 27th game :)


It will start at 10:30PM in Slovenia & Germany and at 11:30PM in Latvia.
You can imagine how glad we are ... :D

Most of NBA games start around 3:00AM our time.
e n a k o p r a v n o s t

Return to Dallas Mavericks