ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

dirkforpres
RealGM
Posts: 10,397
And1: 5,225
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#161 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:38 pm

gottamakeit wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
arkuo wrote:If the Nuggets get bounced this playoffs, would you trade THJ for Aaron Gordon?


Yes but Denver shouldn’t do that. Gordon does a lot of good things off the ball for them


Dallas shouldn't either.
How would you get scoring into our starting lineup?
DFS is already our 3/4 3&D glue guy. I don't see Gordon adding that much more to command a premium price.


Gordon would be a massive upgrade over Kleber and Powell. Solid SGs are a dime a dozen
FIRE RICK CARLISLE
ejs78
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,537
And1: 323
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#162 » by ejs78 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:52 pm

The answer is wait.

If Jrich opts in and they sign Timmy like they say they are we don't have much to spend in FA unless I'm missing something.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Bnice5
Sophomore
Posts: 134
And1: 46
Joined: Oct 17, 2020
   

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#163 » by Bnice5 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:05 pm

What do we think it would take to sign Talen Horton Tucker to a deal that the Lakers couldn't agree to? They have a ton of money tied up in Lebron, AD, Kuzma, and KCP already... $105M and If Harrell opts in that is another 10M taking them to $115M... Cap holds for Caruso and Schroeder is another 30M (can't see how they dont let Schroeder walk)

Do we think if we offered THT the money that would have gone to THJ that we could make that work and LA would be forced to let him go? (3 years, 60M declining)

I think his upside is extremely interesting, and he has the body type/length to be the versatile defender next to Luka... biggest question is could we get his 3pt% up...
Bnice5
Sophomore
Posts: 134
And1: 46
Joined: Oct 17, 2020
   

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#164 » by Bnice5 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:11 pm

I'm also on the Willy Hernangomez bandwagon... think he can be a great inexpensive backup big for us... his per 36 numbers are pretty good 15pts and 14 boards... and his PER has been around 20. Could probably get him here for <3M... Better D than Powell i think.

Mavs need to do well on a couple of players on the lower end of the salary spectrum too this offseason. They never even seem to try here. What other diamond in the rough types are out there that could join the top 10 rotation here?
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,302
And1: 763
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#165 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:18 pm

Bnice5 wrote:What do we think it would take to sign Talen Horton Tucker to a deal that the Lakers couldn't agree to? They have a ton of money tied up in Lebron, AD, Kuzma, and KCP already... $105M and If Harrell opts in that is another 10M taking them to $115M... Cap holds for Caruso and Schroeder is another 30M (can't see how they dont let Schroeder walk)

Do we think if we offered THT the money that would have gone to THJ that we could make that work and LA would be forced to let him go? (3 years, 60M declining)

I think his upside is extremely interesting, and he has the body type/length to be the versatile defender next to Luka... biggest question is could we get his 3pt% up...


THT will go wherever Rich Paul tells him to go. In that case, it will be helping Lebron in the playoffs to build his legacy. Lebron gets a cut from their earnings anyway. Same with Trez Harrell.
Bnice5
Sophomore
Posts: 134
And1: 46
Joined: Oct 17, 2020
   

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#166 » by Bnice5 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:33 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bnice5 wrote:What do we think it would take to sign Talen Horton Tucker to a deal that the Lakers couldn't agree to? They have a ton of money tied up in Lebron, AD, Kuzma, and KCP already... $105M and If Harrell opts in that is another 10M taking them to $115M... Cap holds for Caruso and Schroeder is another 30M (can't see how they dont let Schroeder walk)

Do we think if we offered THT the money that would have gone to THJ that we could make that work and LA would be forced to let him go? (3 years, 60M declining)

I think his upside is extremely interesting, and he has the body type/length to be the versatile defender next to Luka... biggest question is could we get his 3pt% up...


THT will go wherever Rich Paul tells him to go. In that case, it will be helping Lebron in the playoffs to build his legacy. Lebron gets a cut from their earnings anyway. Same with Trez Harrell.


Lebron needs guys that can help him win now though... THT at 15-20M/year makes near impossible for the Lakers to do anything else and THT alone is not putting that team over the top.
ejs78
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,537
And1: 323
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#167 » by ejs78 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:07 pm

Zach Collins
Bnice5 wrote:I'm also on the Willy Hernangomez bandwagon... think he can be a great inexpensive backup big for us... his per 36 numbers are pretty good 15pts and 14 boards... and his PER has been around 20. Could probably get him here for <3M... Better D than Powell i think.

Mavs need to do well on a couple of players on the lower end of the salary spectrum too this offseason. They never even seem to try here. What other diamond in the rough types are out there that could join the top 10 rotation here?


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
Posts: 809
And1: 239
Joined: Nov 19, 2008

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#168 » by Heezzi » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:46 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:
boogiezen wrote:Watching the series between Jazz and the Clippers right now. Mitchell taking more shots but Utah is winning. Why? Because both PG and Kawhi are not not playing beast mode unlike in our series. The lack of defense in our perimeter and rim protector really making the difference.

Mavs fans talk about the Mavs passing on Giannis for $900K but it’s not brought up enough that they also passed on Donovan Mitchell for Dennis Smith Jr.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No, it's not mentioned enough, and they also missed on Bam Adebayo (one spot later after Spida). However, Mitchell was not viewed as a top 10 pick going into the draft. I heard something to the effect of the Jazz had a private workout with Mitchell, and like 20 minutes their GM pulls his agent aside and says we're taking him, but only if you don't do any other workouts for any other teams and don't grant any more interviews, etc. I don't remember the exact details, just that the Jazz let it be known they wanted Mitchell and they discouraged his agent from making him available to other teams. Credit them for recognizing his talent.

I still don't understand the DSJ pick. I remember Carlisle signing his praises on draft night because they talked on Facetime once. That marriage never seemed like the right fight, even at the time. I also think DSJ is a better player than he's shown (or maybe will ever get a chance to show), and that just his ego & immaturity has sidelined his career.


DSJ was drafted to play PG next to Seth Curry.
Mike lorenzo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,282
And1: 261
Joined: May 09, 2020
 

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#169 » by Mike lorenzo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:08 am

What do you think of FA like Korkmaz or Brown (Nets) ... they seem talented
Howard giving good Playoff minutes..
winning half of WCS .. cheering on Seth what a sniper we let go ... expectant with this offseason
1+1=11
boogiezen
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 153
Joined: Aug 27, 2020

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#170 » by boogiezen » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:30 am

Dallas needs to address the starting 5 first before the bench. DFS/THJ/MAXI are not starters!
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,568
And1: 410
Joined: Dec 21, 2018
     

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#171 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:22 am

Heezzi wrote:DSJ was drafted to play PG next to Seth Curry.


The '16-'17 Mavs went 33-49. They weren't drafting for need. They were drafting the Best Available Player with the 9th overall selection.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,568
And1: 410
Joined: Dec 21, 2018
     

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#172 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:23 am

Mike lorenzo wrote:What do you think of FA like Korkmaz or Brown (Nets) ... they seem talented
Howard giving good Playoff minutes..
winning half of WCS .. cheering on Seth what a sniper we let go ... expectant with this offseason


I would love to get Bruce Brown to the Mavs.
41Dirk41
Sophomore
Posts: 186
And1: 48
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#173 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:21 am

boogiezen wrote:Dallas needs to address the starting 5 first before the bench. DFS/THJ/MAXI are not starters!


The Mantra "we love our guys in blue" is bull, we need talent. Wake up Cuban!
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,302
And1: 763
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#174 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:27 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:Dallas needs to address the starting 5 first before the bench. DFS/THJ/MAXI are not starters!


The Mantra "we love our guys in blue" is bull, we need talent. Wake up Cuban!



It can also be an excuse for Cuban not to spend as much this year given the pandemic situation. I understand he owns some restaurants in Dallas and they for sure have taken a hit financially. It's just out of character for him to admit it because he's Mr. Shark Tank and all.
JD45
General Manager
Posts: 7,811
And1: 218
Joined: Dec 28, 2003

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#175 » by JD45 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:49 pm

arkuo wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:Dallas needs to address the starting 5 first before the bench. DFS/THJ/MAXI are not starters!


The Mantra "we love our guys in blue" is bull, we need talent. Wake up Cuban!



It can also be an excuse for Cuban not to spend as much this year given the pandemic situation. I understand he owns some restaurants in Dallas and they for sure have taken a hit financially. It's just out of character for him to admit it because he's Mr. Shark Tank and all.


I don't think Cuban has ever built a business of any substance. He had a small deal before Broadcast.com, that was ok. Then he got really lucky. Broadcast.com was also small and really didn't have much future, but got bought out in the dot.com mania. His true brilliance was hedging out of all that Yahoo stock when it was crazy. I doubt his restaurants are a very meaningful part of his wealth so its unlikely he is facing any financial pressure from them.

Cuban has always been willing to spend on the Mavs, and as a fan, I very much appreciate that. While I don't think he is particularly clever with his team building, we can likely always count on him for deep pockets and willing to spend on his toy.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,302
And1: 763
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#176 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:06 pm

The Mavs social media sites have been blasting 2011 memories all day today. They're milking that 2011 card again and again and most fans keep buying how it's a championship winning organization and it's a winning family culture. LMAO classic.
Teffer10
Head Coach
Posts: 6,045
And1: 477
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#177 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:38 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if the Mavs go after Lowry as a THJ replacement this off-season and then some kind of move to acquire a PF/C.

I honestly don't see them trading KP until the TDL. Just don't see how his value could be any lower then than it is now unless he suffers a career ending injury. My guess is they want to give him and Rick one more chance to make it work before they cut ties.
Mike lorenzo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,282
And1: 261
Joined: May 09, 2020
 

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#178 » by Mike lorenzo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:03 pm

any ideas, If Jazz plans to pay Conley + Gobert's new salary They will have a big bill and they will need savings (I guess)
Brunson to Knicks
# 21 + (savings) to Jazz
Bogdanovic to Mavs ..
You get an elite 3D wing.
Bring back Tim with the bird rights
1+1=11
KhalilS
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,577
And1: 994
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#179 » by KhalilS » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:34 pm

I wouldn't call Bogie elite 3&D, offensively he's very skilled, much more than 3pt shooter, but he's not an elite wing defender by any stretch.
The Jazz will have to make the decision, Conely, Bogie or Jingles, one has to go, their actions as FO are very puzzling to me, they could've ducked the tax this year so that they don't become repeaters next year, and they extended Jingles for the next year knowing their cap situation, but I'm sure they have their motives.
41Dirk41
Sophomore
Posts: 186
And1: 48
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#180 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:42 pm

KhalilS wrote:I wouldn't call Bogie elite 3&D, offensively he's very skilled, much more than 3pt shooter, but he's not an elite wing defender by any stretch.
The Jazz will have to make the decision, Conely, Bogie or Jingles, one has to go, their actions as FO are very puzzling to me, they could've ducked the tax this year so that they don't become repeaters next year, and they extended Jingles for the next year knowing their cap situation, but I'm sure they have their motives.


BB played 2 terrific defensive games against Kawhi, he is way better than all ours F.

Return to Dallas Mavericks