ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#141 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:58 am

Mr B wrote:Why would we want to pay him more for basically disappearing for 4 games in the 1st round???

Why did you only point out the bad. He shot extremely well in half the games in the playoffs and had a great year by his standards. He seems to have matured into a really good player and found a home in Dallas where he enjoys playing and has a defined role. If JRich was half the player he was expected to be THJ’s off nights wouldn’t seem so glaring. A player like DeRozen would fill in those gaps when THJ has an off night. Similar (but different) to the way it was when we had Curry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I think we all know how good he was in the first 3 games. I just think a lot of fans think THJ only had one bad game, game 7. But, he was actually bad in the last 4 games. Well, maybe 4 for 11 in game 6 is so-so. Still, he shot 39% for the series. I think a lot of fans think THJ had a great series and just an off night in game 7.

It's not an "off night" when that's what happens 50% of the time. Then it becomes what is more or less expected of you. THJ is going to have too many "off nights" to make $18+ mil a season. I'm sorry.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#142 » by boogiezen » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:20 am

Watching the series between Jazz and the Clippers right now. Mitchell taking more shots but Utah is winning. Why? Because both PG and Kawhi are not not playing beast mode unlike in our series. The lack of defense in our perimeter and rim protector really making the difference.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#143 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:25 am

boogiezen wrote:Watching the series between Jazz and the Clippers right now. Mitchell taking more shots but Utah is winning. Why? Because both PG and Kawhi are not not playing beast mode unlike in our series. The lack of defense in our perimeter and rim protector really making the difference.

True.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#144 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:28 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:Why would we want to pay him more for basically disappearing for 4 games in the 1st round???

Why did you only point out the bad. He shot extremely well in half the games in the playoffs and had a great year by his standards. He seems to have matured into a really good player and found a home in Dallas where he enjoys playing and has a defined role. If JRich was half the player he was expected to be THJ’s off nights wouldn’t seem so glaring. A player like DeRozen would fill in those gaps when THJ has an off night. Similar (but different) to the way it was when we had Curry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we all know how good he was in the first 3 games. I just think a lot of fans think THJ only had one bad game, game 7. But, he was actually bad in the last 4 games. Well, maybe 4 for 11 in game 6 is so-so. Still, he shot 39% for the series. I think a lot of fans think THJ had a great series and just an off night in game 7.

It's not an "off night" when that's what happens 50% of the time. Then it becomes what is more or less expected of you. THJ is going to have too many "off nights" to make $18+ mil a season. I'm sorry.[/quote]
Ok, so let’s say that they let THJ walk, because you are right that it shouldn’t be a given that they resign him. Am I right in saying that they would then have $39M in cap space? That actually would be THJ, JRich, Melli, Reddick, WCS, and Boban off the books.

Would that give them enough to sign both DeRozen and Holmes? If it would, I would consider letting THJ walk. I would then try to make the trade for Marcus Smart. Then MLE on Markanen, and small exception on someone like Danny Green.

Holmes
KP
DeRozen
Smart
Luka

Bench: Markanen, DFS, Josh Green, Danny Green, Burke, Powell, Hinton, Bey, Terry

This is assuming it would take Maxi and Brunson to acquire Smart. The Mavs then could add an experienced vet on a min contract.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#145 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:33 am

boogiezen wrote:Watching the series between Jazz and the Clippers right now. Mitchell taking more shots but Utah is winning. Why? Because both PG and Kawhi are not not playing beast mode unlike in our series. The lack of defense in our perimeter and rim protector really making the difference.

Mavs fans talk about the Mavs passing on Giannis for $900K but it’s not brought up enough that they also passed on Donovan Mitchell for Dennis Smith Jr.

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#146 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:10 am

Mr B wrote:

Mavs fans talk about the Mavs passing on Giannis for $900K but it’s not brought up enough that they also passed on Donovan Mitchell for Dennis Smith Jr.

No, it's not mentioned enough, and they also missed on Bam Adebayo (one spot later after Spida). However, Mitchell was not viewed as a top 10 pick going into the draft. I heard something to the effect of the Jazz had a private workout with Mitchell, and like 20 minutes their GM pulls his agent aside and says we're taking him, but only if you don't do any other workouts for any other teams and don't grant any more interviews, etc. I don't remember the exact details, just that the Jazz let it be known they wanted Mitchell and they discouraged his agent from making him available to other teams. Credit them for recognizing his talent.

I still don't understand the DSJ pick. I remember Carlisle signing his praises on draft night because they talked on Facetime once. That marriage never seemed like the right fight, even at the time. I also think DSJ is a better player than he's shown (or maybe will ever get a chance to show), and that just his ego & immaturity has sidelined his career.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#147 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:21 am

Mr B wrote:Ok, so let’s say that they let THJ walk, because you are right that it shouldn’t be a given that they resign him. Am I right in saying that they would then have $39M in cap space? That actually would be THJ, JRich, Melli, Reddick, WCS, and Boban off the books.

Would that give them enough to sign both DeRozen and Holmes? If it would, I would consider letting THJ walk. I would then try to make the trade for Marcus Smart. Then MLE on Markanen, and small exception on someone like Danny Green.

Holmes
KP
DeRozen
Smart
Luka

Bench: Markanen, DFS, Josh Green, Danny Green, Burke, Powell, Hinton, Bey, Terry

This is assuming it would take Maxi and Brunson to acquire Smart. The Mavs then could add an experienced vet on a min contract.

What I'm seeing from Spotrac is if the Mavs let WCS walk and J Rich opts out, then they would have roughly $75 mil committed to the 21-22 cap. Assuming they don't resign THJ, Redick, or Boban. (I think they should bring Boban back. Locker room presence and probably Luka's favorite teammate).

DeRozan made $27 mil last year. He's 31, so he's going to want a 4+ year deal. I bet he will ask for and get a $30+ mil per year deal. Holmes made just $5 mil last season. The Mavs can just money whip him if they want to. Plus, I think Holmes can look at Dallas front court and see it's an attractive role for him. He's UFA, so if he wants to come to Dallas, then that will happen. I bet he takes something like 5 for 80 tho.

Dallas could add DeRozan at 32 mil per season and Holmes at 16 mil per season and still be okay (as long as they don't resign THJ). The problem is when that Luka super max extension kicks in for the '22-'23 season, Cuban is going to go broke paying the luxury tax on that bill.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#148 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:37 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:Ok, so let’s say that they let THJ walk, because you are right that it shouldn’t be a given that they resign him. Am I right in saying that they would then have $39M in cap space? That actually would be THJ, JRich, Melli, Reddick, WCS, and Boban off the books.

Holmes
KP
DeRozen
Smart
Luka

What I'm seeing from Spotrac is if the Mavs let WCS walk and J Rich opts out, then they would have roughly $75 mil committed to the 21-22 cap. Assuming they don't resign THJ, Redick, or Boban. (I think they should bring Boban back. Locker room presence and probably Luka's favorite teammate).

DeRozan made $27 mil last year. He's 31, so he's going to want a 4+ year deal. I bet he will ask for and get a $30+ mil per year deal. Holmes made just $5 mil last season. The Mavs can just money whip him if they want to. Plus, I think Holmes can look at Dallas front court and see it's an attractive role for him. He's UFA, so if he wants to come to Dallas, then that will happen. I bet he takes something like 5 for 80 tho.

Dallas could add DeRozan at 32 mil per season and Holmes at 16 mil per season and still be okay (as long as they don't resign THJ). The problem is when that Luka super max extension kicks in for the '22-'23 season, Cuban is going to go broke paying the luxury tax on that bill.

If they’re winning I honestly think Cuban would pay it. For 1 year anyways because in 2023 KP comes off the books. Cuban knows he has a super star in Luka and he’s going to make a ton of money over the course of Luka’s career, especially if they’re winning. He’s also going to want a new arena before Luka’s career is done too and the only way he gets that is by winning.

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#149 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:02 am

Boban and Melli resign at the VM, i don't think they have problems.
I don't want see Redick in our jersey, never again.

Then will find other vets at minimum for play with Luka.

Smart, DDR and Holmes could be a great off season.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#150 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:58 am

The best 2 players on the Clippers after Kawhi and George were vet min guys, Batum and Jackson.
if Dallas goes the KP for Horford path, they must insist on the rights of Micic, doesn't look like OKC are building on him.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,393

Post#151 » by gottamakeit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:14 pm

Reggie Jackson may command some serious money this off-season after signing a cheap 1 year deal with the clips.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
gottamakeit
Sixth Man

Post#152 » by gottamakeit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:

No, it's not mentioned enough, and they also missed on Bam Adebayo (one spot later after Spida). However, Mitchell was not viewed as a top 10 pick going into the draft. I heard something to the effect of the Jazz had a private workout with Mitchell, and like 20 minutes their GM pulls his agent aside and says we're taking him, but only if you don't do any other workouts for any other teams and don't grant any more interviews, etc. I don't remember the exact details, just that the Jazz let it be known they wanted Mitchell and they discouraged his agent from making him available to other teams. Credit them for recognizing his talent.

I still don't understand the DSJ pick. I remember Carlisle signing his praises on draft night because they talked on Facetime once. That marriage never seemed like the right fight, even at the time. I also think DSJ is a better player than he's shown (or maybe will ever get a chance to show), and that just his ego & immaturity has sidelined his career.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Mark, fire Donnie already
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,932

Post#153 » by Archx » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:18 pm

gottamakeit wrote:Reggie Jackson may command some serious money this off-season after signing a cheap 1 year deal with the clips.

Yo, don't give Donnie any ideas. Don't want another Wes or Parsons storyline :D
gottamakeit
Sixth Man

Post#154 » by gottamakeit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 pm

Archx wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:Reggie Jackson may command some serious money this off-season after signing a cheap 1 year deal with the clips.

Yo, don't give Donnie any ideas. Don't want another Wes or Parsons storyline :D

Well i'm kinda hoping he flys under the radar in the remaining Clips games, just so we can nab him for a cheaper contract.
I'd be willing to offer a 3 year deal with the last being a team option for $4 mil per year
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#155 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:18 pm

If the Nuggets get bounced this playoffs, would you trade THJ for Aaron Gordon?
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#156 » by JD45 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:04 pm

arkuo wrote:If the Nuggets get bounced this playoffs, would you trade THJ for Aaron Gordon?

Of course. But don't see the Nuggets doing that.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#157 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 pm

arkuo wrote:If the Nuggets get bounced this playoffs, would you trade THJ for Aaron Gordon?

Yes but Denver shouldn’t do that. Gordon does a lot of good things off the ball for them
FIRE JASON KIDD
gottamakeit
Sixth Man

Post#158 » by gottamakeit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:44 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

Yes but Denver shouldn’t do that. Gordon does a lot of good things off the ball for them

Dallas shouldn't either.
How would you get scoring into our starting lineup?
DFS is already our 3/4 3&D glue guy. I don't see Gordon adding that much more to command a premium price.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#159 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:45 pm

The player I'd target is Barton, longer and better defender than THJ, worse shooter.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#160 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:56 pm

KhalilS wrote:The player I'd target is Barton, longer and better defender than THJ, worse shooter.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Yeah I like Barton too.

THJ is just good every other game it seems. He scores 20 but also allows 20 points scored on him on the defensive end.

Barton addresses that for just 1% difference in 3 point shooting percentage. THJ is 39.1%, Barton is 38.1% on threes.

For that 1% difference, you add in Barton who actually plays defense and won't command the $20M per, I assume in THJ, then I think there is a clear winner. THJ is just a product of good marketing. But if Barton works with Jokic, he can work with Luka too.

Return to Dallas Mavericks