ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#221 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:36 pm

JD45 wrote:Sam Hinkie also seems to be unemployed. Could replace Donnie and Voulgaris.

Cuban held on to his chips too long. The time to cash in was when Daryl Morey broke ties with the Rockets.

Morey also gave Donnie a parting gift by sending him JRich for Seth Curry.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#222 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm

arkuo wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
ejs78 wrote: I'm not a Donnie fan but sure as hell sounds like Voulgaris made the Wright and Richardson moves. Also didn't consult the scouting dept on the draft. Can't blame Donnie he ain't making the moves

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Donnie made the abysmal Porzingis, Rondo, Noel, and Odom trades as well as the Melli/Redick deal.

They should both be getting pink slips

Danny Ainge is coincidentally looking for a new job. Any chance Donnie gets replaced with Ainge and a whole new staff?

Also, I understand the KP trade. Had DSJ finished the season with Dallas, his value would have sunk and you'd actually be stuck with him now. Rondo and Noel were both an asterisk to me, also had something to do with Carlisle. ESPN was recently talking about how Thibs who used to really crack the whip and was old school, had to adjust to a new style of coaching seeing how it has become a player's league. Carlisle is extra tough on micromanaging and it may seem excessive to a certain degree. I dont know if that style of coaching will still work in 2021.

Forget Dennis Smith… KP isn’t worth the picks we gave away or that crippling max contract… Mavs literally have no avenues to acquiring a true 2nd star because of it…. no young desirable assets, no max cap space, no picks
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager

Post#223 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm

Also, after this season is over, Kleber, Powell and DFS can watch a ton of tape on PJ Tucker defending KD. You may not be able to score a lot of points, but you can disrupt a lot of offenses by simply being a pain in the a$$. Kawhi and PG got these guys standing while they do layup drills in a playoff game 7. SMH
arkuo
General Manager

Post#224 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:42 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
arkuo wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Donnie made the abysmal Porzingis, Rondo, Noel, and Odom trades as well as the Melli/Redick deal.

They should both be getting pink slips

Danny Ainge is coincidentally looking for a new job. Any chance Donnie gets replaced with Ainge and a whole new staff?

Also, I understand the KP trade. Had DSJ finished the season with Dallas, his value would have sunk and you'd actually be stuck with him now. Rondo and Noel were both an asterisk to me, also had something to do with Carlisle. ESPN was recently talking about how Thibs who used to really crack the whip and was old school, had to adjust to a new style of coaching seeing how it has become a player's league. Carlisle is extra tough on micromanaging and it may seem excessive to a certain degree. I dont know if that style of coaching will still work in 2021.

Forget Dennis Smith… KP isn’t worth the picks we gave away or that crippling max contract… Mavs literally have no avenues to acquiring a true 2nd star because of it…. no young desirable assets, no max cap space, no picks

I can see that. But you have to realize that Cuban had his eyes set on Giannis at the time. Whether that was a good gamble is debatable. So you need a team with "2 stars" to attract Giannis to come over. Luka with a bunch of scrubs isn't convincing Giannis to ditch Milwaukee especially if you have Miami having Butler and Bam.

The KP deal was required to make Dallas an attractive FA option for Giannis. Again, at the time. We all know how that turned out. It's a classic case of an overly excited businessman betting his life savings on a single stock he bet his bottom dollar would quadruple by day's end at Wall Street. Like Cuban betting on Blackberry ruling the smartphone market. Genius.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#225 » by ejs78 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:23 pm

File under rumors

Read on Twitter
?s=09

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#226 » by JD45 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:38 pm

Hate on KP all you want, but he is one of around 20 NBA players averaging 20+ points with a 20+ PER. And he is one of the youngest in that group at 25. Look at the list and see if any of the others are available. Its almost impossible to replace a player like that.

He has major weaknesses in his game and had a bad year defensively and a terrible playoffs. But his larger body of work is elite.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
JD45
General Manager

Post#227 » by JD45 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:47 pm

How about a little shopping in the bargain bin:

Zach Collins. Picked #10 in 2017. 6-11, 250lb. Has shown shot blocking and rebounding along with some defensive agility. Hints of a 3pt shot, but still developing.

Bad news is he makes KP look like an iron man. But his injuries are unrelated to each other. A shoulder and ankle injury. Not the kind that by themselves are career limiting. Just possible his body might not be able to withstand professional sports.

He is 23 and a free agent after missing the entire year with his ankle. Seems to be healthy now. Give him a cheap contract and its like buying a draft pick. If his injuries turn out to be just bad luck you could have a starter for cheap. Maybe a 3 year 25 mil deal with only the first year guaranteed.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
arkuo
General Manager

Post#228 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:55 pm

JD45 wrote:How about a little shopping in the bargain bin:

Zach Collins. Picked #10 in 2017. 6-11, 250lb. Has shown shot blocking and rebounding along with some defensive agility. Hints of a 3pt shot, but still developing.

Bad news is he makes KP look like an iron man. But his injuries are unrelated to each other. A shoulder and ankle injury. Not the kind that by themselves are career limiting. Just possible his body might not be able to withstand professional sports.

He is 23 and a free agent after missing the entire year with his ankle. Seems to be healthy now. Give him a cheap contract and its like buying a draft pick. If his injuries turn out to be just bad luck you could have a starter for cheap. Maybe a 3 year 25 mil deal with only the first year guaranteed.

Zach Collins is RFA and I think Portland will match a relatively cheap offer
JD45
General Manager

Post#229 » by JD45 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:05 pm

arkuo wrote:
Zach Collins is RFA and I think Portland will match a relatively cheap offer

You are right. I misread. $7.4 mil QO, which they can still pick up. I guess that will be the first test.

Frederic Bastiat
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,423

Post#230 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:10 pm

They are tax payers, it's not forgone conclusion they'd tend a qualifying offer, they should be at 135 million after resigning Powell.
I'd actually trade KP+Burke for McCullom+DJJ+Collins, give them salary relief and switch 2 disappointing players on similar contracts.
I wouldn't offer this trade on the trade board since the sentiment for KP is very low.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#231 » by ejs78 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:12 pm

JD45 wrote:How about a little shopping in the bargain bin:

I've mentioned him a couple times. I feel the Mavs need to luck out on a guy a team gave up on. Collins could be that guy.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#232 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:15 pm

JD45 wrote:Hate on KP all you want, but he is one of around 20 NBA players averaging 20+ points with a 20+ PER. And he is one of the youngest in that group at 25. Look at the list and see if any of the others are available. Its almost impossible to replace a player like that.

He has major weaknesses in his game and had a bad year defensively and a terrible playoffs. But his larger body of work is elite.

I wonder if KP could lose a little weight like last season. He visibly has gained weight this year. He was quicker on his feet off the dribble and cutting to the basket more. This year he was mainly just standing behind the 3 point line. Personally I'd like to know how much of that decision is Carlisle drawing plays. This team is just a year removed from having the best offensive rating in NBA history. I'd like to know what changed and how much of that is RC.

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,039

Post#233 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:38 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I think there may be more noise about this once the Bucks season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,039

Post#234 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:44 am

As for Luka, where there’s smoke there’s usually fire. I don’t believe this analytic guy is telling Carlisle what lineups to run. Although maybe that’s why Carlisle is eyeing Milwaukee (allegedly)?

I do believe this guy tried to tell Luka to calm down and I hope Luka told him to go **** himself.

If this ends up being a complete tear down and rebuild around Luka (including the front office). Is Ainge or Heinke the guy? Would D’Antoni be a good coach for Luka?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arkuo
General Manager

Post#235 » by arkuo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:28 am

Paying one dimensional players with big contracts can bite a team back. Joe Harris was paid big bucks by the Nets but is currently laying an egg in the playoffs. Same with Davis Bertans.

THJ should be on the same boat. A contender can't have $20M++ tied up with THJ alone. That would limit all other signings to fix the lineup.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#236 » by arkuo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:03 am

What are the chances that the Mavs get Nikola Mirotic from Barcelona this summer? The free agent pickings in the NBA aren't as attractive. And the RFA options might force the Mavs to pay the max which doesn't make sense. Mirotic looks like he still has a lot of game left and seems perfect as a PF positional player.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,423

Post#237 » by Mavrelous » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:06 am

arkuo wrote:Paying one dimensional players with big contracts can bite a team back. Joe Harris was paid big bucks by the Nets but is currently laying an egg in the playoffs. Same with Davis Bertans.

THJ should be on the same boat. A contender can't have $20M++ tied up with THJ alone. That would limit all other signings to fix the lineup.

THJ should get no more than 64/4, I hope Donnie doesn't do anything stupid, especially when Hield is up for grabs, Powell for Hield costs the Mavs only 10 million in cap.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#238 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:05 am

arkuo wrote:What are the chances that the Mavs get Nikola Mirotic from Barcelona this summer? The free agent pickings in the NBA aren't as attractive. And the RFA options might force the Mavs to pay the max which doesn't make sense. Mirotic looks like he still has a lot of game left and seems perfect as a PF positional player.

Nicola's great game yesterday ... I don't think he wants to return to the NBA..the reasons have not changed, he prefers to be the head of Raton ... than Leon's tail..He is also the highest paid player in Europe ... I would like Walter Tabares as tire protector, I think that on a Boban paper with specific minutes ... it would be very valuable ... Would you make an offer in FA to veterans with Howard / Tucker .. ??
1+1=11
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Post#239 » by Bob8 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am

arkuo wrote:What are the chances that the Mavs get Nikola Mirotic from Barcelona this summer? The free agent pickings in the NBA aren't as attractive. And the RFA options might force the Mavs to pay the max which doesn't make sense. Mirotic looks like he still has a lot of game left and seems perfect as a PF positional player.

He likes much more to play in Spain and is paid very well.

He's disastrous in D so I wouldn't like him anyway.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#240 » by ejs78 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:00 pm

Spot on.

I'm shocked these guys are getting this much. Duncan Robinson is about to get the same.
arkuo wrote:Paying one dimensional players with big contracts can bite a team back. Joe Harris was paid big bucks by the Nets but is currently laying an egg in the playoffs. Same with Davis Bertans.

Return to Dallas Mavericks