ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2761 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:57 pm

It's a bad contract for sure but better than not sign nobody like us, at least he is young and will be a future asset.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#2762 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:47 pm

Archx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Archx wrote:Ntilikina and Burke off the bench to run the 2nd unit is absolutely disgusting and embarrasing. I hope FO has some other plans in mind because i don't care if they come cheap or whatever.. it's a waste of a roster spot. I really hope they can land Dragic or if by some miracle Brunson has learned how to play like Barea over the summer. Mavs at this point are just building hopes with NYK rejects...

Brunson will be leading the 2nd unit unless Dragic is brought in. Ntilikina is more of a project at PG and a 3/D guard off the bench. Burkenis rarely going to get any minutes unless someone is injured. It’s not like either are the primary backup PG.

I'm not buying it. Burke is a waste of a roster spot and so is Frank more or less. My best guess is, THJ goes back to being a 6th guy with Brunson and Bullock starts with Luka. That's a decent bench unit then. Burke and Frank probably ain't going to see many minutes anyway, which gives me some comfort.

I still think Burke is on his way out. I pretty agree about Ntilikina though. He’s not going to be the primary backup PG. He’s a way at the end of the bench guy. Unless they need some immediate help defending someone or unless the score is very lopsided we won’t see much of Ntilikina.

That was my point though. Brunson is the primary backup PG (unless Dragic is brought in) and I agree with play a lot with THJ. Luka, Bullock, DFS, Maxi, KP are the likely starters with Brunson, THJ, Brown, Brown, Powell as the primary backup unit. Bobi, Ntilikina, Burke (if he’s still here), and the two 2-way guys picking up limited playing time.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#2763 » by LAL1947 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:51 am

HMFFL wrote:We pursued Gordon for nearly two years and Denver just extended him to four years. Are you glad we didn't trade for him or do you wish we had him to this contract?

Spotrac says the Nuggets will be paying Gordon only $16.4m for 2021-22.

If the Mavs already had Gordon on the roster, then extended Gordon on a slightly cheaper 4-year deal for 2022-23 to 2025-26, that would have been A-okay. He's getting paid $88m in total for those 4 years, so $22m per year. Perhaps, $18-20m per year would have been ideal... but the cap will hopefully go up in each of these years.

Powell - $11m
Boban - $3.5m
Burke - $3.1m

That's $17.6m right there, which would have covered his $16.4m for this season.

1-5: Luka, THJ, DFS, Gordon, Porzingis
6-10: Dragic, Sterling, Bullock, Kleber, WCS
11-15: Ntilikina, Brunson, Green, Jericho, Moses

+ McLaughlin, Omoruyi on 2-way contracts.

Dragic after being bought out. I put Frank Ntilikina in there due to the recent rumors... and Jericho Sims as I think he can be a good roll-man for the Mavs... but you could replace those with other players on similar $$. Anyway, Gordon would've been a big upgrade to the starting 5 and someone who can help play defense on big wings and Giannis. TBH, I want to see Sims on the Mavs for the same reason, having someone who could potentially help defend Giannis... THJ, DFS, Sterling, Reggie are all 6'5"-6'7"... and the current bigs are not athletic/strong enough.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#2764 » by Apz » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:33 am

LAL1947 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:We pursued Gordon for nearly two years and Denver just extended him to four years. Are you glad we didn't trade for him or do you wish we had him to this contract?

Spotrac says the Nuggets will be paying Gordon only $16.4m for 2021-22.

If the Mavs already had Gordon on the roster, had dollars to bring Bullock/Sterling, then extended Gordon on a slightly cheaper 4-year deal for 2022-23 to 2025-26, that would have been A-okay. He's getting paid $88m in total for those 4 years, so $22m per year. Perhaps, $18-20m per year would have been ideal... but the cap will hopefully go up in each of these years.

Powell - $11m
Boban - $3.5m
Burke - $3.1m

That's $17.6m right there, which would have covered his $16.4m for this season.

1-5: Luka, THJ, DFS, Gordon, Porzingis
6-10: Dragic, Sterling, Bullock, Kleber, WCS
11-15: Ntilikina, Brunson, Green, Jericho, Moses

+ McLaughlin, Omoruyi on 2-way contracts.

Dragic after being bought out. I put Frank Ntilikina in there due to the recent rumors... and Jericho Sims as I think he can be a good roll-man for the Mavs... but you could replace those with other players on similar $$. Anyway, Gordon would've been a big upgrade to the starting 5 and someone who can help play defense on big wings and Giannis. TBH, I want to see Sims on the Mavs for the same reason, having someone who could potentially help defend Giannis... THJ, DFS, Sterling, Reggie are all 6'5"-6'7"... and the current bigs are not athletic/strong enough.

Ehh. Why would the nuggets do that? If that what it took to get gordon he would have been in mavs now.

If all we do is buy out or waive burke for frank, im fine with it. Ive watched knicks a lot and ive always had this feeling that frank got so much in him but the coaches he had been bad fits. Ofc, this would have been better if rick still been here, but atleast i got a feeling he will thrive with an easy going leader like luka that doesnt blame his teammates for taking shots and such. Get his confidence up and I think we might be surprised
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#2765 » by LAL1947 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:11 am

Apz wrote:Ehh. Why would the nuggets do that? If that what it took to get gordon he would have been in mavs now.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not implying that Dallas could get Gordon for Powell + Boban + Burke now. Was simply pointing out that if the Mavs had managed to sign him before he joined the Nuggets, his salary for 2020-21 is less than those 3 combined... so extending him for $18-20m or even $22m (like his new contract) wouldn't have been a bad thing.

Nuggets got Gordon for Gary Harris, RJ Hampton and a Top 5 protected FRP. If the Mavs offered Powell, Green, Burke, Top 5-10 protected pick... could ORL have accepted it instead? There are still enough dollars to make every move that's been made, leaving the TPE intact. My conjecture is useless though, because the Mavs didn't get him and took a punt on Free Agency for Kawhi/Lowry instead.

At least the Mavs still have that pick. :P

Apz wrote:If all we do is buy out or waive burke for frank, im fine with it. Ive watched knicks a lot and ive always had this feeling that frank got so much in him but the coaches he had been bad fits. Ofc, this would have been better if rick still been here, but atleast i got a feeling he will thrive with an easy going leader like luka that doesnt blame his teammates for taking shots and such. Get his confidence up and I think we might be surprised

Well, I haven't noticed Frank enough to have an opinion. He's still young though, only 22, so could turn it around. He'll probably be the best defender in the team on high-scoring small guards, so can provide a use.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#2766 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:01 pm

Frank as a defender needs to be improved on by getting him some serious shooting development coaching. We have way to many good 3 point shooters what having him here means is there is a fire lit under all our 3 point shooters to play harder on defense and not take plays off. He has to become a better shooter though.

As for Wall. Get him and trade guys for him like THJ, DFS, Powell, Burke, WCS all the draft picks just keep our core guys of Luka and KP.

If we had Wall to add into the Mix. Everyone is new but Luka and KP in the starting rotation
Luka
Wall
KP
Bullock
Brown

Brunson, JaQouri, Terry, Frank possibly Dragic at some point is still a possibility
Brown
Green, Eugene, Onu
Kleber
Boban

PROJECTS: rookies Frank and Green

We would still be looking for a better SF to play and Reggie would handle things well enough in the meantime but DFS might be nice to retain unless there is a better option out there. No assets left to trade for anyone else means next years draft we try to address it. Maybe Houston takes everything else. We might have to give up Brunson instead of Burke in the deal.

The rookies could develop and Green has some potential and could be given a shot but I doubt that any of these options will produce much success but if at least one of them can defend there would be hope against teams with dominant talent at the 3. If Frank can develop a shot that would be awesome. If he can play SF some that would also help.

There is that Brooks guy in Memphis but we lack assets to go after him.
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#2767 » by Apz » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 pm

Shorter version of what I wrote in the other thread where u want to trade for wall:

No.

Reason, read other thread
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2768 » by Mr B » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:11 pm

Apz wrote:Shorter version of what I wrote in the other thread where u want to trade for wall:

No.

What about signing him to a team friendly deal if Houston buys him out?
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#2769 » by Apz » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:25 pm

Mr B wrote:
Apz wrote:Shorter version of what I wrote in the other thread where u want to trade for wall:

No.

What about signing him to a team friendly deal if Houston buys him out?

Wouldnt mind that if we can get rid of burke, and if frank is inc brunson or terry need to go too
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#2770 » by Apz » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:04 am

Frank signed according to twitter
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#2771 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:46 am

Low risk move, hope he will rise with us.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#2772 » by LAL1947 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:32 am

You'd have to GUT the team COMPLETELY to sign Wall without giving up KP... and that's madness IMO... especially after most of the FA signings are done.

Trade KP for Wall seems like a bad move too that sends the team 1-2 steps backward.

I think the best bet of the Mavs signing Wall is into $10.5m TPE, which can happen only if Houston and Wall agree to buying him out for $34m or less ($44.5m - $10.5m TPE). That $44.5m salary is nuts. The salary cap is $112m. 30% of $112m is $33.6m. John Wall is not a player worth 30% of the cap.

If Wall could bring himself to part with some of this "hard earned" money, then he could join a contender without weakening them and try to win a title. For example: if Wall gives up $20m to Houston and then signed into Dallas' $10.5m TPE, he'd still be earning $34.5m per year.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,499

Post#2773 » by Maverick41 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:10 am

LAL1947 wrote:I think the best bet of the Mavs signing Wall is into $10.5m TPE, which can happen only if Houston and Wall agree to buying him out for $34m or less ($44.5m - $10.5m TPE). That $44.5m salary is nuts. The salary cap is $112m. 30% of $112m is $33.6m. John Wall is not a player worth 30% of the cap.

If Wall could bring himself to part with some of this "hard earned" money, then he could join a contender without weakening them and try to win a title. For example: if Wall gives up $20m to Houston and then signed into Dallas' $10.5m TPE, he'd still be earning $34.5m per year.

My understanding of a TPE is that you cannot "sign" a player into the TPE. You can only absorb a player with their "current contract" into our TPE's 10.5 mil threshold (in this case Wall is quadruple that). If Wall is bought out, he would have to sign with us for the Vet minimum because we're over the cap and used our MLE and the BAE on Bullock & Sterling respectively.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#2774 » by LAL1947 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:15 am

Maverick41 wrote:My understanding of a TPE is that you cannot "sign" a player into the TPE. You can only absorb a player with their "current contract" into our TPE's 10.5 mil threshold (in this case Wall is quadruple that). If Wall is bought out, he would have to sign with us for the Vet minimum because we're over the cap and used our MLE and the BAE on Bullock & Sterling respectively.

Oops, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out. :thumbsup:
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#2775 » by BlueSan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:06 pm

I like this term low risk. There are 1000 of players out there with low-risk status if we go by our definition of low risk. The French man is just one of them. No offense, but we are "recycling" players from other teams, we ain't taking flyers on G-League guys, or Euro League college players... we are taking on projects that other teams didn't want to keep and hoping they work for us.

How is that making us a team aiming for the top is beyond me. This team is looking more like a junkyard town by the minute.
mapka
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#2776 » by mapka » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:44 pm

There is always a chance somebody is a latebloomer or was just on the wrong team. That´s what camp contracts are good for, look at a player you guess could have some untaped potential. Doesn´t matter, if he´s from the G-League ot the Gnicks.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#2777 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:32 pm

LAL1947 wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:My understanding of a TPE is that you cannot "sign" a player into the TPE. You can only absorb a player with their "current contract" into our TPE's 10.5 mil threshold (in this case Wall is quadruple that). If Wall is bought out, he would have to sign with us for the Vet minimum because we're over the cap and used our MLE and the BAE on Bullock & Sterling respectively.

Oops, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out. :thumbsup:

Yeah upon further review it appears to me that Wall is a no go. I was too quick to say he was worth getting. I am sure hed be a good player for us if we did not have to pay him all he is pulling in now but that salary and his injury past and his aged added to all that I think we need to think harder about what his services would cost to take on and that might be too high a price.

We can always hope that we get a Tony Parker like European talent would fall to us in the draft but there are a ot more scouts these days so its unlikely we steal anyone in the draft that way but it is possible.

A true star is a difficult thing to find and unless you are giving you are not getting.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#2778 » by HMFFL » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:21 pm

Although Eric Gordon hasn’t approached the Rockets to ask for a trade, he’s "open to moving to a more favorable situation," according to Kelly Iko of The Athletic.

Gordon appeared in just 27 games in 2020-21 due to a knee injury early on and a groin injury suffered late in the season. Fortunately, he says he's ready to rock. “Physically and mentally, I’m definitely in a good spot,” Gordon says. “Looking forward to training camp with the team and don’t have to really worry about any setbacks or whatnot.” But the veteran is a bit out of place on a rebuilding team committed to a youth movement. Still, regarding a potential trade, Iko reports, "In meetings between his representation and Houston this offseason, the Rockets communicated they would love to have Gordon stay." 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 17, 2021, 11:52 AM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#2779 » by Apz » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:33 am

If gordon shoots worse this year then last i will consider simmons a better 3p shooter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2780 » by Mr B » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Dallas Mavericks