ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,034

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2881 » by Mavrelous » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:29 pm

None of these guys is going play, except maybe Ommoroye, they are just gambles that you send to G-league and have their rights, Green in guaranteed roster spot.
I was very low in Green before the preseason, but he did show signs of hope.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,764

Post#2882 » by Archx » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:37 pm

Read on Twitter
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#2883 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:52 pm

HMFFL wrote:Golden State wavier some talent.

Kerr informed forward-center Jordan Bell and guards Avery Bradley, Mychal Mulder and Gary Payton II that they were being waived.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-waive-avery-bradley-gary-payton-ii-keep-roster-spot-open%3famp

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Bradley was a great player but seems can't stay healthy.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#2884 » by Mr B » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:28 am

arkuo wrote:
KhalilS wrote:It's Gleague signings, they probabely though that Hunt and Jones aren't worth keeping their rights, but Onu is, which is weird, Hunt won't contribute anything in 2 years, but he has great potential.

My guess is it came down to developing Hunt or Green and they went with Josh Green for that role.

It's rare that a playoff team can have a bunch of teenagers or players in their early 20s playing heavy minutes. Omoruyi, Brunson, Brown and Green are all projects at this point.

Is Brunson still a project?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2885 » by Mr B » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:30 am

Archx wrote:
Read on Twitter

They signed them and then waived them?
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,764

Post#2886 » by Archx » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:42 am

Mr B wrote:
Archx wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes. Apparently that's how you can secure their contract for Gleague or something... Hornets did the same with Liangelo.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#2887 » by Darren » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:27 am

Maybe the Mavs trade Josh Green and Moses Brown for Mo Bamba. Orlando re-sign Wendall Carter to a ridiculous contract. Bamba is from Texas and could fill a need somewhat. I think the Mavs could reach out to Orlando to see if something could be done.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,270

Post#2888 » by tribulations » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:29 am

Darren wrote:Maybe the Mavs trade Josh Green and Moses Brown for Mo Bamba. Orlando re-sign Wendall Carter to a ridiculous contract. Bamba is from Texas and could fill a need somewhat. I think the Mavs could reach out to Orlando to see if something could be done.

Always liked Bamba and I would do that trade but I think Orlando has their center rotation set now with WCJ starting and Mo backing up.

Interested in Exum as well
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,434

Post#2889 » by Maverick41 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:04 pm

tribulations wrote:Interested in Exum as well

I'd like Exum as well over Burke.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,843

Post#2890 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:51 am

Archx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Archx wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes. Apparently that's how you can secure their contract for Gleague or something... Hornets did the same with Liangelo.

Ah that's cool. Nice to see Justin again in the expanded Mavs ecosystem. I was very confused by seeing his name there.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#2891 » by leolozon » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:15 pm

So Kidd wants the team to shoot more midrange and take less 3s... 43.6% of their shots were 3s last year vs 33.7% during the preseason, the biggest dropoff in the league.

His reasonning is that the two teams in the Finals shot a lot of midrange.... Not everyone is Chris Paul and the Bucks were actually inefficient in the midrange. The Bucks won because of more inside scoring not more midrange scoring.

Let's see how it goes.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Post#2892 » by HMFFL » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:14 am

Phoenix now faces an uncertain future with Deandre Ayton. The franchise center is unhappy with the franchise’s consistent stance to his representatives that the organization simply didn’t foresee him as a max player — regardless of which of his peers in the 2018 NBA Draft class earned max deals this offseason, sources said.

Ayton, a key part of the Suns’ run to the 2021 NBA Finals, held firm on wanting a full, five-year, max contract — which would’ve been worth a guaranteed $172.5 million plus possible escalators — but talks never progressed to the Suns making a formal offer on a max deal ahead of Monday’s 6 p.m. ET deadline, sources told ESPN.

In recent weeks, Phoenix raised the concept of a shorter maximum contract deal — perhaps over three or four years instead of the full five years — but never formally made the offer or broached the idea again, sources said.

– via Adrian Wojnarowski, Brian Windhorst @ ESPN

Mr B
RealGM

Post#2893 » by Mr B » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:35 am

HMFFL wrote:Phoenix now faces an uncertain future with Deandre Ayton. The franchise center is unhappy with the franchise’s consistent stance to his representatives that the organization simply didn’t foresee him as a max player — regardless of which of his peers in the 2018 NBA Draft class earned max deals this offseason, sources said.

Ayton, a key part of the Suns’ run to the 2021 NBA Finals, held firm on wanting a full, five-year, max contract — which would’ve been worth a guaranteed $172.5 million plus possible escalators — but talks never progressed to the Suns making a formal offer on a max deal ahead of Monday’s 6 p.m. ET deadline, sources told ESPN.

In recent weeks, Phoenix raised the concept of a shorter maximum contract deal — perhaps over three or four years instead of the full five years — but never formally made the offer or broached the idea again, sources said.

KP for Ayton
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#2894 » by Apz » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:11 pm

Mr B wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Phoenix now faces an uncertain future with Deandre Ayton. The franchise center is unhappy with the franchise’s consistent stance to his representatives that the organization simply didn’t foresee him as a max player — regardless of which of his peers in the 2018 NBA Draft class earned max deals this offseason, sources said.

KP for Ayton

Question is why tho. You just tie up the money in a center that rebounds vs one shooting 3s, and if KP gets injured this season suns doesnt do it. If KP doesnt, mavs probably dont do it. But in todays league u cant max a center, he wont be worth it. If u do a utah u will never win a ring. Suns should max him tho. They knew this when they took him at 1, and he havent busted.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2895 » by Mr B » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:19 pm

Apz wrote:
Mr B wrote:

KP for Ayton

Question is why tho. You just tie up the money in a center that rebounds vs one shooting 3s, and if KP gets injured this season suns doesnt do it. If KP doesnt, mavs probably dont do it. But in todays league u cant max a center, he wont be worth it. If u do a utah u will never win a ring. Suns should max him tho. They knew this when they took him at 1, and he havent busted.

Ayton still has a ton of room to grow. He won’t be “just a rebounder”. As for KP I think he’s going to have a huge year. If he puts up All Star caliber numbers teams will be willing to trade for him even if he does get injured again. Teams are still going to see what he’s capable of doing and will be willing to overlook his deficiencies.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#2896 » by leolozon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:52 am

Barnes and Holmes were so great tonight.

I still don't know why they got rid of Barnes when he was young and it's a position of need right now. He has been good in Sacramento and would have good with Luka. He was overpaid by the Kings though, so I don't mind that much.

Holmes though should have been a main target. His price tag was cheap for what he brings (rim protection, mobility on defense at the C, strong around the rim on offense). 46 million for 4 years? You can't beat that? He's easily worth 15millions a year. Offer 54.

It just reminds you once again that the front office has been sleeping at the wheel for a while and has been letting opportunities pass by. There's no reason Luka shouldn't have a supporting cast like the Hawks.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#2897 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:54 am

I don't like Ayton very much, he is soft... He take a lot of rebound but PHX plays with Crowder or Bridges at the 4.

Maybe does he fit better than KP with Doncic? Yes for sure but i think KP is a better basketball player.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#2898 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:57 am

leolozon wrote:Barnes and Holmes were so great tonight.

I still don't know why they got rid of Barnes when he was still young and it's a position of need right now. He has been good in Sacramento and would have good with Luka. He still wad overpaid by the Kings at that time though, so I don't mind that much.

Holmes though should have been a main target. His price tag was cheap for what he brings (rim protection, mobility on defense at the C, strong around the rim on offense). 46 million for 4 years? You can't beat that? He's easily worth 15millions a year. Offer 54.

It just reminds you once again that the front office has been sleeping at the wheel for a while and has been letting opportunities pass by. There's no reason Luka shouldn't have a supporting cast like the Hawks.

Gift Barnes and no bid on Holmes are only 2 of the our FO mistake... Nothing new.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#2899 » by Apz » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:50 pm

Barnes sucked and thought he was the star with luka here. Contract were considered on powell bad level. We ddint think we ever would get rid of it. But peoples memories sucks. Birdcage barnes is not coming back. He was good outside the court, but he burned his on court value for mavs forever.

And its easy to throw numbers, but need to play within the rules. Personally I prefer reggie and thj over a 7th center. We all know kp will end up as center in the end and then we are almost at half the roster at center. In po it was complaints about wing 3nD players, we got that
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#2900 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:19 pm

Trade Barnes was good, give him away for nothing was atroucius.
Then you can't blame the lack of trade assets.

I hope our poor man versions of 3&D guys will be enough...

Return to Dallas Mavericks