ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 8,827
And1: 2,178
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2901 » by Mr B » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:11 pm

It’s funny that the Mavs fans here are saying trading Barnes was a mistake by our front office. When he was here all this board talked about was how much he was overpaid and how much he sucks and how our front office made a huge mistake in paying him.
fuller4379
Analyst
Posts: 3,498
And1: 998
Joined: May 05, 2014

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2902 » by fuller4379 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Barnes would be the second best player on this team. He doesn’t do anything great, but he does a lot of things very good. I didn’t like that trade when they did it because the Mavs can’t do anything with cap space. A slightly overpaid Barnes is better than cap space.
Bob8
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,718
And1: 1,888
Joined: Feb 08, 2017

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2903 » by Bob8 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Mr B wrote:It’s funny that the Mavs fans here are saying trading Barnes was a mistake by our front office. When he was here all this board talked about was how much he was overpaid and how much he sucks and how our front office made a huge mistake in paying him.


People expected back then that Mavs would have got someone better instead of him. Didn’t happen. You have seen what had we in his position against Clippers. I doubt they would have lost that series with him and Seth.
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 8,827
And1: 2,178
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2904 » by Mr B » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:02 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Mr B wrote:It’s funny that the Mavs fans here are saying trading Barnes was a mistake by our front office. When he was here all this board talked about was how much he was overpaid and how much he sucks and how our front office made a huge mistake in paying him.


People expected back then that Mavs would have got someone better instead of him. Didn’t happen. You have seen what had we in his position against Clippers. I doubt they would have lost that series with him and Seth.

We will never know. I just thinks it’s funny that almost everyone on this board criticized the Mavs front office for signing him, and now they’re criticizing the Mavs FO for trading him.
41Dirk41
Pro Prospect
Posts: 809
And1: 182
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2905 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 pm

We don't trade him...we give him away. Big difference.
Plus we signed nobody with that cap space.
It's simple to understand.
ejs78
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,859
And1: 385
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2906 » by ejs78 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:17 pm

In a topic called what do we do from here were talking about Harrison Barnes

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
leolozon
Head Coach
Posts: 6,538
And1: 6,032
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2907 » by leolozon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:11 pm

ejs78 wrote:In a topic called what do we do from here were talking about Harrison Barnes

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app


It's still important to look at the past to learn for the future. This thread also seems like a general thread. Creating a topic about Barnes and Holmes isn't a good idea.

I personally don't mind much losing Barnes. He did try to do too much, but as a 3 and D guy, he's a niece piece. I'm still happy with DFS considering the difference in $.

I do mind not trying to get Holmes though. Him and Wood were the two guys I was pushing for in the past two years.

It does seem to me that the front office (old and new) missed MANY opportunities to help the team get better. What "we" did is a good indication of what "we" do from here.
ejs78
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,859
And1: 385
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2908 » by ejs78 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:44 pm

leolozon wrote:
ejs78 wrote:In a topic called what do we do from here were talking about Harrison Barnes

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app


It's still important to look at the past to learn for the future. This thread also seems like a general thread. Creating a topic about Barnes and Holmes isn't a good idea.

I personally don't mind much losing Barnes. He did try to do too much, but as a 3 and D guy, he's a niece piece. I'm still happy with DFS considering the difference in $.

I do mind not trying to get Holmes though. Him and Wood were the two guys I was pushing for in the past two years.

It does seem to me that the front office (old and new) missed MANY opportunities to help the team get better. What "we" did is a good indication of what "we" do from here.
Said it then and I'll say it now the chance to sign Holmes was when he left the Suns and the Mavs paid Powell. Don't mind not making a push for him this past offseason.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,951
And1: 575
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2909 » by Darren » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:31 pm

Ia FVV available? Raptors are far from contending, right? Could the Mavs put up a package for FVV?
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 45,207
And1: 5,233
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2910 » by HMFFL » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:00 am

I'd like for us to give free agent Mfiondu Kabengele a workout.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,994
And1: 895
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2911 » by arkuo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:03 am

In other news, Spencer Dinwiddie dropped 34, 6 and 9 today. Yet Cuban wanted to give THJ a multi year deal when the Lowry deal fell through.
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 45,207
And1: 5,233
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2912 » by HMFFL » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:18 pm

arkuo wrote:In other news, Spencer Dinwiddie dropped 34, 6 and 9 today. Yet Cuban wanted to give THJ a multi year deal when the Lowry deal fell through.
The amount of times we've passed on pursuing talent blows my mind. Spencer possibly wasn't a good fit for us, but overall, Cuban has failed us, and I hope more people focus on him.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Archx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,498
And1: 3,940
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2913 » by Archx » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:25 pm

HMFFL wrote:
arkuo wrote:In other news, Spencer Dinwiddie dropped 34, 6 and 9 today. Yet Cuban wanted to give THJ a multi year deal when the Lowry deal fell through.
The amount of times we've passed on pursuing talent blows my mind. Spencer possibly wasn't a good fit for us, but overall, Cuban has failed us, and I hope more people focus on him.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


THJ is the least of Mavs problem when it comes to financials. Ton of similar players like THJ got paid past 2 years and THJ also deserved that contract. But problem is other players... Like, why is Burke still getting paid on this roster? Why was WCS resigned, Powell juicy contract for being a 5/5 guy with no defense, Jrich last season was also a disaster... Those contracts pile up and suddenly you run out of options. I get that previous FO was responsible for most of these deals but new regime will quickly have to figure out how to make better moves or Mavs will just run in circles going nowhere...
KhalilS
Analyst
Posts: 3,190
And1: 1,950
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2914 » by KhalilS » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:23 pm

Next year Mavs have 30 mil in useful expiring (Powell, Maxi, Burke and Boban), they will be useful in facilitating a trade.

Sent from my SM-N986B using RealGM mobile app
tribulations
Analyst
Posts: 3,098
And1: 1,076
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
 

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2915 » by tribulations » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:16 pm

HMFFL wrote:
arkuo wrote:In other news, Spencer Dinwiddie dropped 34, 6 and 9 today. Yet Cuban wanted to give THJ a multi year deal when the Lowry deal fell through.
The amount of times we've passed on pursuing talent blows my mind. Spencer possibly wasn't a good fit for us, but overall, Cuban has failed us, and I hope more people focus on him.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


I've been a huge supporter of Cubes from the beginning, but I'm starting to come round to your viewpoint here. The 00's were good, 2011 amazing, but each year since has been pretty disappointing, outside of the Luka draft.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,994
And1: 895
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2916 » by arkuo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:43 am

Cuban should use this season to gauge if KP is capable of playing alongside Luka. There are no excuses this year as he came in fully healthy. They have a season to determine whether he stays or gets traded for someone like Jokic who is also a free agent soon and might think of leaving Denver.

Will Jokic be the answer to helping Luka run point guard duties? Jokic will also need the ball in his hands for considerable minutes. He's not the type to stand in the corner waiting for an open pass too. We'll see.
dirkforpres
RealGM
Posts: 10,733
And1: 5,949
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2917 » by dirkforpres » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:07 am

HMFFL wrote:
arkuo wrote:In other news, Spencer Dinwiddie dropped 34, 6 and 9 today. Yet Cuban wanted to give THJ a multi year deal when the Lowry deal fell through.
The amount of times we've passed on pursuing talent blows my mind. Spencer possibly wasn't a good fit for us, but overall, Cuban has failed us, and I hope more people focus on him.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


This x1000 and unfortunately it’s likely we will never win another title with Cuban
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,994
And1: 895
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2918 » by arkuo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:48 pm

Stsrting Dwight Powell should raise his trade value a bit. Same with Brunson's recent play. If Morey can be convinced that his relationship with Ben Simmons is unfixable, then a package of Powell + Brunson + DFS and 3 1st round picks might be a viable option especially if Simmons plans to sit out 4 years.

Simmons in his current form is way better than Dwight freakin Powell any day of the week.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,994
And1: 895
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2919 » by arkuo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:12 pm

The Pelicans are also a ticking time bomb. It's just a matter of time before things explode with Zion and Ingram wanting out.
leolozon
Head Coach
Posts: 6,538
And1: 6,032
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2920 » by leolozon » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:15 am

Curry is shooting 76.5% from 3 in 3 games. What we do from here is invent a time machine and stop that atrocious trade. :D

You have to have a laugh, because it's just too sad. 146 pages of people taking time to discuss what to do from here and you end up wondering if the front office take as much time as that deciding what to do. If only they bothered to look at Richardson play in Philly before doing the trade.

Sorry for the rant. It's just too frustrating.

Return to Dallas Mavericks