ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#341 » by HMFFL » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:01 pm

boogiezen wrote:Watch how Cuban will give THJ 20m per year. Watching the one dimensional players in the playoffs getting exposed should be a warning already.
He's probably seeking a Buddy Hield type contract.

2020-21: $26,431,817
2021-22: $24,477,272
2022-23: $22,522,728
2023-24: $20,568,183

While I prefer to not sign THJ to even 18m per season, I believe it's beet to retain him, if we can trade him at some point.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#342 » by dirkforpres » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:16 pm

boogiezen wrote:Watch how Cuban will give THJ 20m per year. Watching the one dimensional players in the playoffs getting exposed should be a warning already.

Unfortunately I think you’re right. It’ll probably cost at least 20 to keep him, although I don’t think he’s worth more than maybe 15 a year for what he provides… Way too inconsistent and a below average defender
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#343 » by arkuo » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:28 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

Unfortunately I think you’re right. It’ll probably cost at least 20 to keep him, although I don’t think he’s worth more than maybe 15 a year for what he provides… Way too inconsistent and a below average defender

A little over $20M and it can probably get you one of Dinwiddie or Norm Powell. Both of which have skills that THJ doesnt have. He's on the wrong end of his 20s so he is what he is at this point. I wont count on THJ suddenly becoming a Marcus Smart on D.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,336

Post#344 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Absolutely no on a contract over 16/year, starting at 15, leaves 20 millions in cap space.
Trade Powell for Hield if THJ demands more, it'll cost 10 millions only in cap space, they screwed up enough until now, they have to be very careful.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#345 » by Mr B » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:18 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

If the Mavs hire Masai Ujiri I’d say there’s a better chance that THJ is allowed to walk. That money would then be used to upgrade the talent around Luka. If Finley promoted then I’d say there’s a fairly good chance THJ returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#346 » by JJP » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:08 am

Mr B wrote:If the Mavs hire Masai Ujiri I’d say there’s a better chance that THJ is allowed to walk. That money would then be used to upgrade the talent around Luka. If Finley promoted then I’d say there’s a fairly good chance THJ returns.

Not only that... consider THJ's thinking. He's at the peak of his game, and suddenly there's a new coach with a new offense. If a contender like Miami offers him a good contract, why wouldn't he take it?

Chances are THJ will know all about the coach and what to expect as Free Agency begins, so the fans will likely have a good feel whether he stays or goes.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#347 » by Mr B » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:48 am

JJP wrote:
Mr B wrote:If the Mavs hire Masai Ujiri I’d say there’s a better chance that THJ is allowed to walk. That money would then be used to upgrade the talent around Luka. If Finley promoted then I’d say there’s a fairly good chance THJ returns.

Not only that... consider THJ's thinking. He's at the peak of his game, and suddenly there's a new coach with a new offense. If a contender like Miami offers him a good contract, why wouldn't he take it?

Chances are THJ will know all about the coach and what to expect as Free Agency begins, so the fans will likely have a good feel whether he stays or goes.

Yea if he gets an offer he should take it. Sucks for him though because it seemed like he’d finally found a home and a system that was perfect for him. If the Mavs end up wanting to resign him hopefully they will have already talked to him by the time free agency starts. That way they can move on quick in FA.

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#348 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:39 am

So, with recent developments.
Powell, THJ S&T, Jrich, Brunson, future 1st for Ben Simmons?
Sign NormPowell.
Sign OPJ for the room exception.
Sign a vet PG to the vet min.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager

Post#349 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:15 am

KhalilS wrote:So, with recent developments.
Sign NormPowell.

Brunson is from Philly and they need a PG.

20+ GMs will send offers for Simmons. I think it needs to be THJ + DFS + Brunson + 1st rounder. That completes their team. Shooters around Embiid.

For Dallas and more importantly the new coach, I think it's having Ben Simmons play the Giannis role more. Doc and the Sixers have been playing him heavy minutes at point guard. We know he has playmaking skills, but he's at his strongest at the PF dunker spot. He can play like a Giannis-lite in the paint. Albeit shoots like Giannis too. There is a drawback. But Luka, KP and Ben are all young enough that it allows you to take risks. The upside is greater.

The problem with the Sixers was when they needed Ben to score. He always passes. Hockey pass, drop off, kick out. With Dallas he doesn't need to score much. Luka will take 30+ attempts! Dallas will be buying on Ben not for scoring but for his NBA-best defense, attacks at the rim and secondary playmaking. When motivated, at 6'10 we're talking about Kawhi level defense.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#350 » by agentofatlas » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:00 am

Sign NormPowell.

I don't think Morey would bite. He might wait until the trade deadline to get maybe a better package since Ben is regular season star. He'll play against enough bad teams that people will forget what happened in the playoffs.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#351 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:06 am

agentofatlas wrote:
Sign NormPowell.

I don't think Morey would bite. He might wait until the trade deadline to get maybe a better package since Ben is regular season star. He'll play against enough bad teams that people will forget what happened in the playoffs.

This is one angle Morey has to think about. Get more value for Simmons at the TDL, or get the new core guys included for a full training camp now. The risk with not having a full camp is they get into a fairly new team prior to the playoffs.
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#352 » by MrOrange » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:06 am

arkuo wrote:
Sign NormPowell.

20+ GMs will send offers for Simmons. I think it needs to be THJ + DFS + Brunson + 1st rounder. That completes their team. Shooters around Embiid.

For Dallas and more importantly the new coach, I think it's having Ben Simmons play the Giannis role more. Doc and the Sixers have been playing him heavy minutes at point guard. We know he has playmaking skills, but he's at his strongest at the PF dunker spot. He can play like a Giannis-lite in the paint. Albeit shoots like Giannis too. There is a drawback. But Luka, KP and Ben are all young enough that it allows you to take risks. The upside is greater.

The problem with the Sixers was when they needed Ben to score. He always passes. Hockey pass, drop off, kick out. With Dallas he doesn't need to score much. Luka will take 30+ attempts! Dallas will be buying on Ben not for scoring but for his NBA-best defense, attacks at the rim and secondary playmaking. When motivated, at 6'10 we're talking about Kawhi level defense.

Simmons? He shoots much worse than Giannis, well, in fact, he does not shoot at all. Giannis can make open 3s and is at least attempting them. Mavs would need a full-time psychologist on the staff to work with him exclusively and without guaranteed results. Until his shot is resolved, what exactly would he do on the Mavs? Clog the paint as PF? Luka would be thrilled :D And BS is no match to real big men either. I'd say that despite the big contract, Simmon's long term-future hangs on his ability and/or willingness to develop his shot. I am not sure Mavs would be ready to take up this challenge during the FO rebuilding process.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#353 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:11 am

MrOrange wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Sign NormPowell.

Simmons? He shoots much worse than Giannis, well, in fact, he does not shoot at all. Giannis can make open 3s and is at least attempting them. Mavs would need a full-time psychologist on the staff to work with him exclusively and without guaranteed results. Until his shot is resolved, what exactly would he do on the Mavs? Clog the paint as PF? Luka would be thrilled :D And BS is no match to real big men either. I'd say that despite the big contract, Simmon's long term-future hangs on his ability and/or willingness to develop his shot. I am not sure Mavs would be ready to take up this challenge during the FO rebuilding process.

You have a point. The new GM might be trigger shy to pull off big trades immediately considering he will be under a microscope. Media, fans, ownership will all be watching him.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#354 » by agentofatlas » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:15 am

arkuo wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
arkuo wrote:

You have a point. The new GM might be trigger shy to pull off big trades immediately considering he will be under a microscope. Media, fans, ownership will all be watching him.

Depends on the GM. I think with our current roster any change would be welcome. We can't field the same team 3 years in a row.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#355 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:48 am

MrOrange wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Sign NormPowell.

4 shooters on a team is more than enough, Simmons is a bad fit in Philly where their franchise player is a low post big, Embiid can shoot, but that's not why he's a franchise player.
Simmons can handle, defend, rebound, penetrate from the weak side, you'll have to live with the cold feet he gets down the strech.
Mavs need a forward like him, Simmons next to KP is a good match, you can go very big with Luka, Simmons, Maxi and KP and still have a resemblance of good defense.
I'd throw anything that isn't Luka/KP on him, and Philly needs a lights out shooter with quick release and high release point like THJ, and they need a shooting/penetrating PG like Brunson.
TBH, I don't think THJ/Brunson/1st is a good value for Simmons, but that's the best offer Mavs can field.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#356 » by MrOrange » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:53 am

agentofatlas wrote:
arkuo wrote:
MrOrange wrote:

Depends on the GM. I think with our current roster any change would be welcome. We can't field the same team 3 years in a row.

No, it won't be the same. THJ may decide to select a different offer if the GM and the coach are not in place in time. Richardson will be out, etc. Hard to tell before there is any real indication on the FO and a coach. KP may or may not be traded, who knows. But not for Simmons as Philly is in no need for that position. All other great qualities aside, but shooting-wise Simmons is a reclamation project. So, a challenge. And shooting is a decisive factor in this league. Before he gets better, it would be very difficult for him to start together with Luka as it would take away a lot from his main asset - playmaking.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#357 » by agentofatlas » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:00 am

MrOrange wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
arkuo wrote:

No, it won't be the same. THJ may decide to select a different offer if the GM and the coach are not in place in time. Richardson will be out, etc. Hard to tell before there is any real indication on the FO and a coach. KP may or may not be traded, who knows. But not for Simmons as Philly is in no need for that position. All other great qualities aside, but shooting-wise Simmons is a reclamation project. So, a challenge. And shooting is a decisive factor in this league. Before he gets better, it would be very difficult for him to start together with Luka as it would take away a lot from his main asset - playmaking.

I was talking in general that a safe GM would be looked at negatively by the fanbase.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#358 » by MrOrange » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:10 am

agentofatlas wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

I was talking in general that a safe GM would be looked at negatively by the fanbase.

I get it. There may be a need for swinging for fences. But is it really Simmons? It not just the series against the Hawks, but generally, Simmons has not improved in the shooting department since entering the league. If anything, it has become increasingly worse. It must be in the head - either psychological issues or attitude in general, but it is an issue. I think, he commented last night: it is what it is and I am what I am. Goodness, wrong answer, man!
arkuo
General Manager

Post#359 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:17 am

To put it in context, Ben Simmons is the same height as Clint Capela. Capela works great with Harden because he plays D and rolls to the rim the right way. Capela doesnt shoot 3s either. Ben is just placed on a microscope on his shooting because he's paid superstar money and people expect all around superstar numbers. But in theory, his skill set should work with Luka and KP.

Most people forget he's 6'10 with hops like Bron just because he plays PG for Doc Rivers. He can actually be a center with that height. He's as big as Dwight Powell but with way more skill. So he can definitely play PF with KP at C. Doc Rivers has him playing more like Shaun Livingston when he's more of a Giannis-lite.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#360 » by agentofatlas » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 am

MrOrange wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
MrOrange wrote:

I get it. There may be a need for swinging for fences. But is it really Simmons? It not just the series against the Hawks, but generally, Simmons has not improved in the shooting department since entering the league. If anything, it has become increasingly worse. It must be in the head - either psychological issues or attitude in general, but it is an issue. I think, he commented last night: it is what it is and I am what I am. Goodness, wrong answer, man!

Don't really care much for Simmons. People will talk themselves into him but all I see is a FT brickfest between him and Luka.

Return to Dallas Mavericks