ImageImageImage

Rick Carlisle Steps Down! What Next?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Re: Rick Carlisle Steps Down! What Next? 

Post#161 » by DickMotta4Prez » Fri Jul 2, 2021 11:34 pm

RC might have been the only coach at the time that could help Dirk get a ring. While he still has something, it was well past time for both he and Donnie to move on. The Mavs have failed to develop young players since Dirk was drafted and that has to make fans question how much more Luka & KP can benefit from the right coach and a better cast of teammates.
I was bearish on the Kidd hire, but the more I read about his time on the Lakers bench, the more optimistic I become.
Mavs need more complimentary players to fill out the roster, the types who don't come cheap in free agency. They need the FO to find young assets and a coaching staff that's willing and able to develop them. That just wasn't happening with the old regime. I'm unsure whether Cuban is a detriment to that process
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#162 » by LAL1947 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:21 am

I was just looking at the squad that Rick Carlisle has inherited over at the Pacers. They are obviously lacking a true star... but have mild-mannered players and are pretty well covered in each position... got a couple of nice rookies too (bolded font). It seems a more balanced group than he and Donny put together, heh. No wonder he was keen to take the job.

PG: Brogdon / McConnell / Sumner
SG: Levert / Duarte / Lamb
SF: Warren / Holiday / Craig
PF: Sabonis / Jackson
CE: Turner / Bitadze
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#163 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 10:14 am

Jason Kidd on Mavs shooting far fewer 3s than Rick Carlisle's offense:

"We’re not just going to rely on jump shooting because that can leave you at any part of the season or in the playoffs. If that happens, you don’t have anything to fall back on, and that means an early exit."
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#164 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Oct 9, 2021 12:17 pm

Can't remember if I've commented in this thread or not, yet. I just wanna say Good Riddance, Carlisle! What an ****!!
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#165 » by Mavrelous » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:09 am

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/10/12/22720806/the-mavericks-are-happy-rick-carlisle-is-gone-and-they-cant-wait-to-tell-you-about-it

A good article about RC's departure.
On one hand, most would agree it was time to leave, new franchise player, the old guard is done, Donnie have made too many mistakes in too short a time and left the team gutted from any meaningful asset, and RC's handling of KP destroyed the last resembelance of an asset, I appreciate RC, but I am glad he's gone, even knowing the coaches after him will be worse, on the other hand, people underrate the masterfulness with which RC managed the Clippers series, it was a true chess match and RC squeezed his roster to the fullest of their potential, I doubt any other coach will be able to replicate this.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,934

Post#166 » by Archx » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:41 am

KhalilS wrote:https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/10/12/22720806/the-mavericks-are-happy-rick-carlisle-is-gone-and-they-cant-wait-to-tell-you-about-it

A good article about RC's departure.
On one hand, most would agree it was time to leave, new franchise player, the old guard is done, Donnie have made too many mistakes in too short a time and left the team gutted from any meaningful asset, and RC's handling of KP destroyed the last resembelance of an asset, I appreciate RC, but I am glad he's gone, even knowing the coaches after him will be worse, on the other hand, people underrate the masterfulness with which RC managed the Clippers series, it was a true chess match and RC squeezed his roster to the fullest of their potential, I doubt any other coach will be able to replicate this.

I was never a fan of firing Rick but after seeing how Kidd thinks about using players, i can already tell there is going to be way more player movement, so i honestly feel relaxed about losing Rick.

Bubble Rick was good, but last season's playoffs Rick was horrible. Sure KP not being able to dribble or post up didn't help but the way Mavs played was absolutely bad. Luka bailed them out so hard it's crazy. Being up 20 points and then losing that lead in 2 minutes and Rick doing nothing to counter that, was the biggest failure and i know everyone was baffled how he allowed that to happen.

Now i'm kinda glad he's gone and i'm excited to see how Kidd can elevate this team. They already look more happy than they did before.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#167 » by Mavrelous » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:47 am

Archx wrote:I was never a fan of firing Rick but after seeing how Kidd thinks about using players, i can already tell there is going to be way more player movement, so i honestly feel relaxed about losing Rick.

Bubble Rick was good, but last season's playoffs Rick was horrible. Sure KP not being able to dribble or post up didn't help but the way Mavs played was absolutely bad. Luka bailed them out so hard it's crazy. Being up 20 points and then losing that lead in 2 minutes and Rick doing nothing to counter that, was the biggest failure and i know everyone was baffled how he allowed that to happen.

Now i'm kinda glad he's gone and i'm excited to see how Kidd can elevate this team. They already look more happy than they did before.

They do look more happy, even Burke looked better in preseason, but I disagree with you on the PO series, the talent gap was huge, and it still went down to the wire, of course Luka was the main reason for this, but he did design a perfect offense for him to shine.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks