ImageImageImage

How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,487
And1: 396
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:11 am

How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen?

Should the Mavs consider acquiring him?
Apz
Starter
Posts: 2,182
And1: 582
Joined: Jan 18, 2019
   

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#2 » by Apz » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:03 pm

Depends on what he want 10m? Why not. Hardly think bulls would be intrested in a snt with the package we offered for dragic so higher salary is probably dead
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 44,754
And1: 5,009
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:22 pm

He can be good if he can stay healthy. I don't believe the league has seen what he can really do because he hasn't been happy in Chicago.
I'd like to see us attempt to acquire him but it depends on the #'s.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
KhalilS
Veteran
Posts: 2,673
And1: 1,570
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#4 » by KhalilS » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:54 pm

Depends on the money, but I think he prefers 2+1 deal for 30 mil, than QO, and Mavs need to accumulate talent, so I'm all for it, but a parallel trade ha to happen to reduce the big men glut, a 4/5 rotation of KP/Markannen/Maxi is something I'd really like.
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,487
And1: 396
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#5 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:40 pm

KhalilS wrote:Depends on the money, but I think he prefers 2+1 deal for 30 mil, than QO, and Mavs need to accumulate talent, so I'm all for it, but a parallel trade ha to happen to reduce the big men glut, a 4/5 rotation of KP/Markannen/Maxi is something I'd really like.


Yeah, that'd be cool. The Mavs can prolly dump someone somewhere. Like Powell's contract makes him an easy pick to get dumped, but that's also gonna be tough to do since he has 2 years left on his contract. So maybe WCS is the guy they dump, because he's an expiring.
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,487
And1: 396
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:40 pm

HMFFL wrote:He can be good if he can stay healthy. I don't believe the league has seen what he can really do because he hasn't been happy in Chicago.
I'd like to see us attempt to acquire him but it depends on the #'s.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Yeah, he needs a change of scenery for sure. Same with a guy like Kevin Love.
jpengland
Head Coach
Posts: 6,827
And1: 5,924
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
   

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#7 » by jpengland » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:20 pm

Markkanen wouldn't be a terrible add at this point.

You'd need to stagger him with KP at times as you don't want him spending too much time in stretch 4s. He's not as bad defensively as advertised but he's in that tricky spot of not protecting the rim enough to be a 5 and teams being able to run him off the floor with smaller 4s.

He'd suit our play more with him being money on open jumpers.

If it's 3/36 or so (which would fit in our TPE) then I'm game.
KhalilS
Veteran
Posts: 2,673
And1: 1,570
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#8 » by KhalilS » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:30 pm

Rumors on trade board is that both CHA and SA had interest, but he wanted too much money, if that's the case then I'd be very cautious, no need for bad contracts.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,487
And1: 396
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:59 pm

jpengland wrote:Markkanen wouldn't be a terrible add at this point.

You'd need to stagger him with KP at times as you don't want him spending too much time in stretch 4s. He's not as bad defensively as advertised but he's in that tricky spot of not protecting the rim enough to be a 5 and teams being able to run him off the floor with smaller 4s.

He'd suit our play more with him being money on open jumpers.

If it's 3/36 or so (which would fit in our TPE) then I'm game.


I'm starting to think Schroder might be the best fit for the Mavs right now because he can playmake, finish fast breaks, and drive in the half court.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,799
And1: 768
Joined: Dec 13, 2017
 

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#10 » by BlueSan » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:13 pm

Zero defense, fight...so whatever
Apz
Starter
Posts: 2,182
And1: 582
Joined: Jan 18, 2019
   

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#11 » by Apz » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:32 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
jpengland wrote:Markkanen wouldn't be a terrible add at this point.

You'd need to stagger him with KP at times as you don't want him spending too much time in stretch 4s. He's not as bad defensively as advertised but he's in that tricky spot of not protecting the rim enough to be a 5 and teams being able to run him off the floor with smaller 4s.

He'd suit our play more with him being money on open jumpers.

If it's 3/36 or so (which would fit in our TPE) then I'm game.


I'm starting to think Schroder might be the best fit for the Mavs right now because he can playmake, finish fast breaks, and drive in the half court.


But he is a **** shooter. If we didnt have brunson to lead the bench, sure. But to play minutes with luka? Just anotver wright. And stop talking klove. Im not drunk enough to throw up yet
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,487
And1: 396
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#12 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:56 pm

Apz wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
jpengland wrote:Markkanen wouldn't be a terrible add at this point.

You'd need to stagger him with KP at times as you don't want him spending too much time in stretch 4s. He's not as bad defensively as advertised but he's in that tricky spot of not protecting the rim enough to be a 5 and teams being able to run him off the floor with smaller 4s.

He'd suit our play more with him being money on open jumpers.

If it's 3/36 or so (which would fit in our TPE) then I'm game.


I'm starting to think Schroder might be the best fit for the Mavs right now because he can playmake, finish fast breaks, and drive in the half court.


But he is a **** shooter. If we didnt have brunson to lead the bench, sure. But to play minutes with luka? Just anotver wright. And stop talking klove. Im not drunk enough to throw up yet


KLove for scraps is fine.
But you're right about Schroder. He's not a horrible shooter, but he's not good. He's better than Oubre, but not by much.

Also, Brunson wasn't there to help much in the playoffs. His size hurts him. Schroder has more size and length, and that can help. I'm more concerned about the contract that Schroder would want.

Dragic would be aite, but he's old and broken down now. But, he can shoot and he and Luka love each other, so that'd be cool.
Apz
Starter
Posts: 2,182
And1: 582
Joined: Jan 18, 2019
   

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#13 » by Apz » Sat Aug 7, 2021 6:25 pm

Klove for scraps is not fine. Its 30m on the books for nothing that u cant get rid off without attaching 3 1sts. He is the worst contract in the league, condsidring he has given up
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,487
And1: 396
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#14 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:05 pm

Apz wrote:Klove for scraps is not fine. Its 30m on the books for nothing that u cant get rid off without attaching 3 1sts. He is the worst contract in the league, condsidring he has given up


You can trade him next year when he'd be an expiring. People will take expiring contracts for sure.
Or you can just wait for it to expire and clear your own books. No need to trade away 3 first round picks.
Apz
Starter
Posts: 2,182
And1: 582
Joined: Jan 18, 2019
   

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#15 » by Apz » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:57 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Apz wrote:Klove for scraps is not fine. Its 30m on the books for nothing that u cant get rid off without attaching 3 1sts. He is the worst contract in the league, condsidring he has given up


You can trade him next year when he'd be an expiring. People will take expiring contracts for sure.
Or you can just wait for it to expire and clear your own books. No need to trade away 3 first round picks.


Was easy fir toronto, first with lowry and now with dragic... You need a specific buyer or u are stuck with them. Its not an asset until traded, abd spend 2 years with them on the team to maybe get a 2nd rounder and more bad long time money back isnt worth the risk
gottamakeit
Senior
Posts: 530
And1: 328
Joined: Jan 08, 2012

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#16 » by gottamakeit » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:04 am

I wouldn't want to commit so much salary for a one dimensional player.
Lauri is the opposite of a glue guy. And he'd be taking away minutes from guys that can actually produce wins.
I'd rather spend the money on a playmaker.
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,487
And1: 396
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#17 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:43 am

Apz wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Apz wrote:Klove for scraps is not fine. Its 30m on the books for nothing that u cant get rid off without attaching 3 1sts. He is the worst contract in the league, condsidring he has given up


You can trade him next year when he'd be an expiring. People will take expiring contracts for sure.
Or you can just wait for it to expire and clear your own books. No need to trade away 3 first round picks.


Was easy fir toronto, first with lowry and now with dragic... You need a specific buyer or u are stuck with them. Its not an asset until traded, abd spend 2 years with them on the team to maybe get a 2nd rounder and more bad long time money back isnt worth the risk


Sometimes you gotta take the risk with those bad long-term deals because maybe a change of scenery is all they need.
But I hear you. KLove isn't my first want right now, and neither is Lauri.
I kinda want Schroder just because he fits the timeline and provides the team with some stuff that they need.
Dragic would be cool, but he's old, regressing, and broken down now. But I'd take him, and he'd make Luka happy, so that's good.
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,487
And1: 396
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#18 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:43 pm

Someone I know who has real NBA connections says Lauri to Dallas is very likely to happen now.

If that's the case, then I hope the Mavs move both Powell and Burke, and then get back Lauri and Goran (buy out).
LAL1947
Pro Prospect
Posts: 823
And1: 371
Joined: Dec 28, 2018

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#20 » by LAL1947 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:05 am

Just sharing an interesting take from a Bulls fan.

Return to Dallas Mavericks