Maybe
No votes

Total votes: 23

LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Should the Mavs trade for Ben Simmons? 

Post#1 » by LAL1947 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:18 am

If teams like GSW, Toronto, Portland, Sacramento, etc only make low-ball offers to the 76ers for Ben Simmons... I think the Mavs need to throw their hat in this race. If the 76ers accept, Luka gets a top-shelf running mate against the super-teams and stacked teams that have cropped up everywhere! If they don't, well, at least the Mavs help bump the price up to where it should be, instead of allowing Western Conference opponents improve for cheap. What happens if another Western Conference team gets him on the cheap? For example: how is Luka supposed to take on a GSW with Curry, Klay, Dray and Simmons?

Trades:
Porzingis + Brunson + 2x 1st round picks + 2x swaps for Ben Simmons.
Powell + Moses Brown? + Terry? for Malik Beasley.
Wait until Toronto buys out Dragic and sign him then.

Team:
1-5: Dragic, THJ, Luka, Kleber, Simmons
6-10: McLaughlin, Beasley, Bullock, DFS, WCS
11-15: Burke, Sterling, Green, Omoruyi, Boban

Match-ups determine line-ups.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Re: Trade for Ben Simmons? 

Post#2 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:22 am

Rather keep KP to see if his value returns first
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Re: Should the Mavs trade for Ben Simmons? 

Post#3 » by Apz » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:20 am

No real intrest tbh since he fits bad and will be expensive
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,034

Post#4 » by Mavrelous » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:28 am

Mavs don't have the assets, from what's rumored to be the asking price Mavs really didn't have the assets, and if there was ever chance, it would've been predicated on THJ S&T/DFS/Maxi/1st, that's the only package I can see Philly trading him for.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#5 » by arkuo » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:46 am

Considering the very long line of fabulous all stars that are waiting to sign with the Mavericks every year, I would probably say yes to Simmons if he intends to come to Dallas. If the choices every year are freakin Reggie Bullock and Sterling Brown, then yes count me in for an all star.

Cuban has been saving up a ton of money leading to this summer. Over 30M. Think about it. The guy saved up money to finally buy his Ferrari. Ends up renewing his insurance for an old reliable Ford and buys 2 Nissans instead.
Saty
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Saty » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:01 pm

Yes they should trade Luka.

Dallas gets Simmons
Ben Simmons gets a fresh start
76s gets Luka
Luka gets great players surrounding him and immediately gets to fight for the title.

This is a brilliant idea actually, well done OP.

On a serious note. I do not think Dallas should trade for Ben Simmons because getting Luka is the only way 76s trade for Luka
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:42 pm

Not for what the 76ers want. But I'd consider it if they price comes down.

I think the Mavs are better off targeting Tobias Harris or Danny Green though.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#8 » by sisibilio » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:52 pm

I don't think the 76ers have any interest in Porzingis. There should be a 3rd team involved.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by LAL1947 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:16 pm

sisibilio wrote:I don't think the 76ers have any interest in Porzingis. There should be a 3rd team involved.

Yeah, I agree. Guess my hope is that Dame puts in a trade request, asking specifically to go to the 76ers.
If PTL is not keen on Ben as the cornerstone for a rebuild since he's supposedly said he doesn't want PTL or TOR.
That could allow Dallas to be included as the 3rd team.
Because PTL will now be offered Porzingis + 76er FRPs + Dallas FRPs.

And this is a better offer for a rebuilding team than some of the offers I'm reading from GSW or SAC.

I'm also hoping he'll be open to embracing Dallas: cos better weather & playing with Luka.

Lots of ifs baked in there, haha. I'd love for it to happen though, Luka + Ben can be great IMO.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#10 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 9, 2021 12:42 am

No
/thread
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#11 » by DickMotta4Prez » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:28 am

I think Simmons was exposed as an overhyped player in the POs. Too many contributors on Mavs boards are bearish on KP & bullish on BS just because the player we don't have is sexier than the one we do. IMO I think there's greater potential for KP to return to form than there is for Simmons to unyip himself and become a bargain superstar. And as others have stated, besides the Franchise Star, Mavs have no assets that 76ers will want.
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#12 » by DickMotta4Prez » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:29 am

How many of you have more confidence in Simmons figuring it out versus Bazingas bouncing back to bubble form?
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,156

Post#13 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:02 pm

DickMotta4Prez wrote:How many of you have more confidence in Simmons figuring it out versus Bazingas bouncing back to bubble form?

Simmons will figure it out, but he needs to have the ball in his hands to do so. He can't shoot and the Mavs are building around Luka and spacing. He will have to run the pick and roll, but it will be a switch every time. The problem here is that you won't get the same miss-match as you do with centers because both of the players are guarded by small forwards.

It is just a terrible fit and we don't have the assets to get him.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#14 » by sisibilio » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:49 pm

If he was in my team I could live with Simmons not developing a reliable jumpshot. He needs to get his FT% back to a respectable level though.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#15 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:24 am

The Carlisle/Donnie era of this team really screwed the pooch on roster development. Pulling little tricks like paying Powell a lot more than he was worth and citing off the wall statistics about how Powell rim runs are the most efficient play in basketball yada yada. Anytime anyone would bring how they haven't drafted a decent player since Jae Crowder in 2012, they fire back with DFS & Maxi were undrafted.

They just continued to hype up a bunch of average to below average NBA talent like they were starters on a championship team & paid them accordingly.

Every time a trade scenario has come up for the past 6-7 years, it's always been the same thing for the Mavericks. What do we have that anybody wants???

We can't even entertain trading for Ben Simmons because we don't have enough to start the conversation, Ben Simmons at his all time lowest value, and we can't start the conversation.
mxr2000
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#16 » by mxr2000 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:55 pm

I Like the Idea of Ben Simons on the mavs also the Idea of Dragic on the Mavs I saw him on the Olimpic Game va Geemany and he qas a True Lider and can Score, besides he handle Handle Bettwr thw ball 5han luka ón Crunçh time.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by LAL1947 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:07 am

Bump. Simmons says he's open to joining any of the 29 other teams, not just the Cali teams. What do you guys think now that the off-season has been on for awhile and there's a pretty good idea of other team's rosters? Should the Mavs give it a go?

I've updated the suggestions in the first post to complete the roster, and to reflect trades that have happened since... such as Lauri Markannen no longer being available and adding McLaughlin/Omoruyi. Feel free to make your own suggestions tho, on how you'd like to see the rest of the roster sorted out if the Mavs can actually get Simmons and based on what you'd think it'd cost.

I'm digging the idea of Simmons alongside Luka instead of Porzingis... and using him as a small-ball Center with Kleber or DFS at PF. He's had a pretty good run doing that whenever Embiid wasn't available (see vid below against Utah).

OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#18 » by OhCanada1091 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 2:36 pm

Mavs don't have the pieces to acquire Simmons. Porzingis value is at an alltime low and after that the only decent pieces are Brunson and Brown.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by LAL1947 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:25 pm

OhCanada1091 wrote:Mavs don't have the pieces to acquire Simmons. Porzingis value is at an alltime low and after that the only decent pieces are Brunson and Brown.

Well, isn't Simmons' value at an all-time low as well? :nod:

All this summer, we've seen rumors of really low-ball offers being reported... like Brogdon + 1 FRP... or Wiggins + #7 + #14 in this draft... or CJ + filler. I think Porzingis + Brunson + 2 FRPs + 2 Swaps easily beats any of those out and could be too generous. :P
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#20 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:47 am

overpriced for what you get

Return to Dallas Mavericks