ImageImageImage

Porzingis and Zach LaVine

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Re: Porzingis and Zach LaVine 

Post#61 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:07 am

Mr B wrote:Well currently Luka, Giannis, Young, Booker, and Jokic have all resigned with the teams that drafted them. And besides Dame, Curry has also decided to re-up instead of taking the easy way out. Beal has also said that he has zero desire to change teams and wants to help Washington build a winner.

Fair point on Booker and Beal. How do you give Curry credit for resigning with Golden State? In 2017, he resigns with the team that just went to the Finals 3 years in a row and won 2 of 3, to a contract that makes him the first NBA player to sign a contract for over $200 million. What was he going to do? Leave and go play for the Knicks? Sure, he's been loyal, but he's also had the perfect situation. It's not like Dirk & Curry are the same.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#62 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:10 am

HMFFL wrote:Fans put all of the pressure on KP and don't focus their attention on how pathetic the roster is. The front office should receive more criticism.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

That's a very fair point. Also, the previous front office and coaching staff are gone. I'd say that's top level criticism.

KP definitely warrants his fair share of criticism. When you're going out to strip clubs in a playoff series you play poorly in and ultimately lose, and then it's reported you asked for a trade in the offseason and you don't have the best relationship with the best player on the team. All of that equals the perfect recipe for some good 'ol fashioned fan hate. It's not hard to understand why KP catches flack from the fanbase is it?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#63 » by Mr B » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:15 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:Well currently Luka, Giannis, Young, Booker, and Jokic have all resigned with the teams that drafted them. And besides Dame, Curry has also decided to re-up instead of taking the easy way out. Beal has also said that he has zero desire to change teams and wants to help Washington build a winner.

Fair point on Booker and Beal. How do you give Curry credit for resigning with Golden State? In 2017, he resigns with the team that just went to the Finals 3 years in a row and won 2 of 3, to a contract that makes him the first NBA player to sign a contract for over $200 million. What was he going to do? Leave and go play for the Knicks? Sure, he's been loyal, but he's also had the perfect situation. It's not like Dirk & Curry are the same.

He still could have easily turned the money down and go play with Labron. I think the fact that he’s already won titles does make it easier for him to take the money and stay. He’s in a similar situation to what Kobe was in with the Lakers.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#64 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:52 am

Mr B wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

He still could have easily turned the money down and go play with Labron. I think the fact that he’s already won titles does make it easier for him to take the money and stay. He’s in a similar situation to what Kobe was in with the Lakers.

That's pretty far-fetched. Curry after beating LeBron 2 out of 3 in the NBA Finals, would leave Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green to go play with LeBron?

I ain't seeing it.

Loyalty is when you're tested. When you the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, but you still stay put because you're loyal. Loyalty is not being treated like a King, living the good life, and deciding "Yeah, I like this. I think I'll stay"
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,499

Post#65 » by Maverick41 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:10 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:That's pretty far-fetched. Curry after beating LeBron 2 out of 3 in the NBA Finals, would leave Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green to go play with LeBron?
"

I think he's talking about Curry's contract extension that he signed 2 months ago. I do think Curry showed his loyalty there because he just missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and could have easily ring chased. It's not Dirk level loyalty but should be commended nevertheless.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#66 » by Mr B » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:12 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

That's pretty far-fetched. Curry after beating LeBron 2 out of 3 in the NBA Finals, would leave Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green to go play with LeBron?

I ain't seeing it.

Loyalty is when you're tested. When you the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, but you still stay put because you're loyal. Loyalty is not being treated like a King, living the good life, and deciding "Yeah, I like this. I think I'll stay"

First of all I’m talking about the current contract extension not the last one. Durant left, Klay may never be the same guy again if he ever plays again, and Dray is still good but old as ****. They also don’t have anything close to resembling the bench they used to have. Curry could have easily said he’s not signing an extension in order to go play with Labron and AD in L.A. The fact that he already won titles makes it easier for him to just stay and take the money even though the Warriors are really only as good as they are because of Curry.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#67 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Maverick41 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:That's pretty far-fetched. Curry after beating LeBron 2 out of 3 in the NBA Finals, would leave Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green to go play with LeBron?
"

I think he's talking about Curry's contract extension that he signed 2 months ago. I do think Curry showed his loyalty there because he just missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and could have easily ring chased. It's not Dirk level loyalty but should be commended nevertheless.

Curry already has 3 rings when he signed that contract extension. I don't see how you can ring chase when you already have 3 rings.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:45 pm

Mr B wrote:First of all I’m talking about the current contract extension not the last one. Durant left, Klay may never be the same guy again if he ever plays again, and Dray is still good but old as ****. They also don’t have anything close to resembling the bench they used to have. Curry could have easily said he’s not signing an extension in order to go play with Labron and AD in L.A. The fact that he already won titles makes it easier for him to just stay and take the money even though the Warriors are really only as good as they are because of Curry.

Curry is no spring chicken himself. He's 33. The Warriors could win the Western Conference this year. People are sleeping on them, and they shouldn't be. I also think people are overrating the Lakers by quite a lot. LeBron turns 37 this season, and he's missed long stretches 2 of the past 3 seasons. AD games missed by season in his career: 18, 15, 14, 21, 7, 7, 26, 20, 36. So, pretty much every year AD is going to miss a lot of games. Does Russ Westbrook even fit with the Lakers? That's a bad fit.

Imo, Steph is in a better position in GSW. They still have assets they can trade to go acquire another star if needed.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#69 » by Mr B » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:27 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:First of all I’m talking about the current contract extension not the last one. Durant left, Klay may never be the same guy again if he ever plays again, and Dray is still good but old as ****. They also don’t have anything close to resembling the bench they used to have. Curry could have easily said he’s not signing an extension in order to go play with Labron and AD in L.A. The fact that he already won titles makes it easier for him to just stay and take the money even though the Warriors are really only as good as they are because of Curry.

Curry is no spring chicken himself. He's 33. The Warriors could win the Western Conference this year. People are sleeping on them, and they shouldn't be. I also think people are overrating the Lakers by quite a lot. LeBron turns 37 this season, and he's missed long stretches 2 of the past 3 seasons. AD games missed by season in his career: 18, 15, 14, 21, 7, 7, 26, 20, 36. So, pretty much every year AD is going to miss a lot of games. Does Russ Westbrook even fit with the Lakers? That's a bad fit.

Imo, Steph is in a better position in GSW. They still have assets they can trade to go acquire another star if needed.

I agree that the Lakers are being severely overrated this year. They’re old and are just collecting older talent. Reminds of the year they signed Karl Malone and Steve Nash.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#70 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:33 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Conventionally, Yes. But, I believe Luka is such a singular talent that if you give him a true 2nd star on the team, he'll give you a title. Immediately. Barring injury, at minimum, that team goes to the Western Conference Finals in year 1.

That's how good Luka is.

It at least makes the 2nd round, but it also depends on the who's involved in the trade.

You're talking about Luka like he's Steve Nash. Luka is better than that. Luka is a generational talent. He'll go down as one of the top 10 players to ever play this game. LeBron took the 2007 Cavs to the NBA Finals. Look at that roster. Honestly, that might be LeBron's biggest career accomplishment. That team without LeBron doesn't win 25 games.

A generational talent can take a roster places it otherwise has no business going. The difference with that 2007 squad is they were in the Eastern conference at a time when the East was slowing down a bit. Luka needs a true 2nd star to compete in this loaded Western Conference.

Luka + LaVine + fill out the roster with replacement level talent = Western Conference Finals at the minimum.

THAT'S JUST HOW GOOD THIS KID IS.

Yeah, but I'm also talking about the first year together. That can be a work in progress, and if KP is leaving via trade, then ionno how much stronger they are. If LaVine comes here and KP stays, then that team is championship caliber for sure.

But based off of the preseason, I'm very excited for this team and think they can take that next step by advancing to the 2nd round.

Luka is great and a generational talent, but I'm also looking at this incrementally. The next goal for them is to get out of the first round. I don't want to put championship aspirations on them just yet, especially if they can't get out of the 1st round. Sure, it has only been 2 years in the playoffs, and 3 total with Luka, but Dirk had issues with the 2nd round for a while, and then he had issues in the 1st round (Kings, Hornets, Warriors, Spurs, and every year Post-2011).
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#71 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:41 pm

HMFFL wrote:Fans put all of the pressure on KP and don't focus their attention on how pathetic the roster is. The front office should receive more criticism.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

If you think it's pathetic, then you're being too harsh. But the F/O does deserve more criticism for sure. However, I think they did well with several things this offseason

1.) Kidd
2.) Nico Harrison
3.) Getting rid of Voulgaris
4.) Reggie Bullock for the MLE
5.) Sterling Brown for the BAE
6.) Flipping JRich for a TPE and Moses Brown
7.) Frank Ntilikina for the vet min
8.) Re-signing THJ and having his contract decline in value
9.) Bringing back Boban, who is well liked with the team, fans, and community.
10.) Giving Luka his extension.

Things they didn't do well on
1.) Getting a 2nd/3rd star
2.) Using the TPE on someone, but they can use it during the regular season too
3.) Finding a way to bring Dragic to Dallas
4.) Cut Tyrell Terry, Tyler Bey, & Hinton. I like what they have with their current Two-way guys, but the team needs to invest in these guys for more than one season. Plus this makes the Seth Curry trade look much worse.
5.) Avoiding Drama. This is the biggest one and it sucks that they lost stalwarts like Carlisle and Donnie, but I am excited for the future.
6.) You could also argue that they should have done more to move someone like Powell, Burke, WCS, Kleber, or DFS for an upgrade in the starting lineup.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#72 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:13 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:... But based off of the preseason, I'm very excited for this team and think they can take that next step by advancing to the 2nd round.

Luka is great and a generational talent, but I'm also looking at this incrementally. The next goal for them is to get out of the first round. I don't want to put championship aspirations on them just yet...

First, when I think about what KP and to a lesser extent what Josh Green have demonstrated this offseason & preseason, I'm very excited too. I'm also very intrigued about what Moses Brown will do, and I would anticipate he's this team's starting center by the ASB, or the defacto starting center if Powell starts, but Brown still plays 28 min a game or something like that. We could see the supporting cast take a big step forward this year. Could being the operative word there.

I disagree that the 2nd round is enough. WCF should be the bar. Anything less is a disappointment. I know Luka feels that way.

Probably not a lot of folks on this forum feel this way, but this has been said and echoed by numerous national NBA reporters.

The sentiment is that Luka Doncic = Top 4 seed in the Conference and it means always going to a game 6 in any series.

That's what objective reporters around the league think.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#73 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:05 am

HairyGOATee wrote:If you think it's pathetic, then you're being too harsh. But the F/O does deserve more criticism for sure. However, I think they did well with several things this offseason

1.) Kidd
2.) Nico Harrison

1) Carlisle gone, not FO moves. Too late anyway.
2) Nico makes nothing in FA unless small moves without take any risk.
3) Too late.
4) Bullock carrer average salary is 3M, we pay him 30M for 3years. Wow.
5) maybe the best moves, but wait for real games.
6) Boston wanted J-Rich, you have gifted him.
7) no risk move, good.
8) not a bargain but this is the market price of that kind of player, maybe DDR was better but seems he didn't want come here.
9) Good guy but wasted money, he is a meme.
10) really?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#74 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:... But based off of the preseason, I'm very excited for this team and think they can take that next step by advancing to the 2nd round.

Luka is great and a generational talent, but I'm also looking at this incrementally. The next goal for them is to get out of the first round. I don't want to put championship aspirations on them just yet...

First, when I think about what KP and to a lesser extent what Josh Green have demonstrated this offseason & preseason, I'm very excited too. I'm also very intrigued about what Moses Brown will do, and I would anticipate he's this team's starting center by the ASB, or the defacto starting center if Powell starts, but Brown still plays 28 min a game or something like that. We could see the supporting cast take a big step forward this year. Could being the operative word there.

I disagree that the 2nd round is enough. WCF should be the bar. Anything less is a disappointment. I know Luka feels that way.

Probably not a lot of folks on this forum feel this way, but this has been said and echoed by numerous national NBA reporters.

The sentiment is that Luka Doncic = Top 4 seed in the Conference and it means always going to a game 6 in any series.

That's what objective reporters around the league think.

We had a lot of problems but Clips were very good last 2 years, maybe top2 in the west.
Last year with an healthy Kawhi were better than the Suns.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:16 pm

I mean, realistically speaking, the team most probably won't make it to the WCF. 2nd Round could be doable, but it depends on what all happens before now and the start of the playoffs. Maybe some stars get injured or traded, and the same with some key role players. Right now though, I think this team's ceiling is the 2nd round, but again, I could be very wrong about that.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:If you think it's pathetic, then you're being too harsh. But the F/O does deserve more criticism for sure. However, I think they did well with several things this offseason

1.) Kidd
2.) Nico Harrison

1) Carlisle gone, not FO moves. Too late anyway.
2) Nico makes nothing in FA unless small moves without take any risk.
3) Too late.
4) Bullock carrer average salary is 3M, we pay him 30M for 3years. Wow.
5) maybe the best moves, but wait for real games.
6) Boston wanted J-Rich, you have gifted him.
7) no risk move, good.
8) not a bargain but this is the market price of that kind of player, maybe DDR was better but seems he didn't want come here.
9) Good guy but wasted money, he is a meme.
10) really?

The extension was important for the team. I felt like they could have waited on it, but they all wanted to get it done, so that's good.
Losing Carlisle and Donnie sucks, but sometimes you gotta start over. The Mavs brought back familiar faces in Kidd, Dirk, JJB, and Tyson Chandler.
Boban's great for the locker room too.
Bullock's a quality 3D player too. He was known for his defense before becoming a 3 point shooter and now he's a knockdown 3 point shooter.
Also, Nico Harrison didn't have much time to settle in. Things were super rushed and he had to clear JRich to even give the Mavs a chance for a big FA, and even then, there weren't too many on the market. Plus, Nico's value is in his connections with other players, which is what will come in handy for potential trade talks.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#77 » by tribulations » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:10 pm

Redshirt Luka, pump and dump KP (as a first option with Luka out), tank for high lottery pick in '22, reload.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:43 am

tribulations wrote:Redshirt Luka, pump and dump KP (as a first option with Luka out), tank for high lottery pick in '22, reload.

I'm not sure if you're joking, but people forget how important Harrison Barnes was to the Warriors in their early championship years. The only reason the Warriors were in a position to draft Barnes, is because Steph got hurt and missed most of the '11-'12 season.

Not saying I want Luka to get hurt, but if Luka did get hurt, at least there's a silver lining this year with the Mavs owning their own 1st round draft pick.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#79 » by Mr B » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:54 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
tribulations wrote:Redshirt Luka, pump and dump KP (as a first option with Luka out), tank for high lottery pick in '22, reload.

I'm not sure if you're joking, but people forget how important Harrison Barnes was to the Warriors in their early championship years. The only reason the Warriors were in a position to draft Barnes, is because Steph got hurt and missed most of the '11-'12 season.

Not saying I want Luka to get hurt, but if Luka did get hurt, at least there's a silver lining this year with the Mavs owning their own 1st round draft pick.

Barnes was not the reason they win those titles. In fact he was considered a huge disappointment considering the hype he had around him in HS.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#80 » by nedleeds » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:49 pm

KhalilS wrote:Luka is locked up in contract, and while I'm no longer a Cuban fan, he knows he landed on a gold mine, which will keep his team's valuation sky high for the next 10 years, he will not let Luka go anywhere.

Does it really matter anymore? I'd like Luka to remain healthy, and engaged because he's a blast to watch but we've got a guy effectively holding out for a trade while healthy and with 4 years left on his deal in Simmons. I'm starting to think the contracts don't matter anymore. Barring a lock out and the owners fixing players on guaranteed deals not fulfilling their contracts if Luka just wakes up and decides he wants out it seems like teams can't do anything. Ben Simmons is claiming mental illness for gods sake.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.

Return to Dallas Mavericks