ImageImageImage

RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST)

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

User avatar
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 9,061
And1: 27,444
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
     

RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:11 pm

I meant, the Suns winning streak ends here.

Image
43/17/13
boogiezen
Junior
Posts: 327
And1: 234
Joined: Aug 27, 2020

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#2 » by boogiezen » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:48 pm

Actually the Suns didn't shoot well against Dallas yesterday. So watch how they will shoot like Curry on Friday.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,947
And1: 570
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#3 » by Darren » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:23 pm

The Mavs has no answer for Devin Booker last game. This creates a hole in paint defense. Powell and WCS has no business to block Booker;s attempt . And this open up the corner threes repeatedly. As an awful team roster with an inexperienced coach, I don't think the Mavs could find any answer with / without Luka. The Mavs really need Maxi back against this kind of lineup and pray a Powell-Goran Dragic/Buddy Hield trade goes down. Then nab a PF with TPE. Include WCS in whatever deal.
41Dirk41
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#4 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 pm

boogiezen wrote:Actually the Suns didn't shoot well against Dallas yesterday. So watch how they will shoot like Curry on Friday.


If we concede them all those wide open again we will lose by 20 easily.
Stop their corner 3 is the first step, maybe let Booker score 40points (Bullock and DFS were terrible as always against opposite scorer)but don't let Bridges/Crowder/Cam Johnson destroy us from the arc.

No WCS and S.Brown is the second step.
KhalilS
Analyst
Posts: 3,180
And1: 1,943
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#5 » by KhalilS » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:13 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:Actually the Suns didn't shoot well against Dallas yesterday. So watch how they will shoot like Curry on Friday.


No WCS and S.Brown is the second step.


The benching of Trey Burke is pissing me off, Burke and Brown got equal minutes when Luka is off, all of Brown's minutes should go to Burke and Frank, they at least bring something different to the table.
And if you're going to play zone, put Boban in, you at least get a mismatch on offense on the other end.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
Posts: 13,854
And1: 8,565
Joined: Jun 15, 2008
Location: France
Contact:
   

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#6 » by ducler » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 8,819
And1: 2,177
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#7 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:00 am

Mavs should be up by 10 right now with all the missed shots.
41Dirk41
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#8 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:02 am

The lineup Frank-THJ-Bullock-DFS-Powell is a disaster...how can Kidd think that could be good? Nobody can create, a lot of mediocrity. Bleah.
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 8,819
And1: 2,177
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#9 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:12 am

The can play with the Suns. They just haven’t learned how to win these close games. They can’t close out. They’ve had the lead late in the game in both these games against the Suns. Chris’s Paul has taken over both games late in the 4th and the Suns have won both games.

This is a game where Dragic would have really helped. I like Ntilikina and he’s done some things really well but a good veteran PG with a high BB IQ these last two games.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,991
And1: 895
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#10 » by arkuo » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:24 am

Mr B wrote:The can play with the Suns. They just haven’t learned how to win these close games. They can’t close out. They’ve had the lead late in the game in both these games against the Suns. Chris’s Paul has taken over both games late in the 4th and the Suns have won both games.

This is a game where Dragic would have really helped. I like Ntilikina and he’s done some things really well but a good veteran PG with a high BB IQ these last two games.



Toronto has made no indication of buying Dragic out to help the Mavs. So it's the same level as saying this is a game where a guy like John Wall could have helped in case Houston buys him out. Or Kyle Lowry could have helped in case Dallas signed him in the summer. Isn't it?

Actually I think Dallas had a closer shot at Lowry than they had with Dragic. And it was far out to begin with. Hence the tampering investigation with Riley and the Heat.
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 8,819
And1: 2,177
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#11 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:33 am

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:The can play with the Suns. They just haven’t learned how to win these close games. They can’t close out. They’ve had the lead late in the game in both these games against the Suns. Chris’s Paul has taken over both games late in the 4th and the Suns have won both games.

This is a game where Dragic would have really helped. I like Ntilikina and he’s done some things really well but a good veteran PG with a high BB IQ these last two games.



Toronto has made no indication of buying Dragic out to help the Mavs. So it's the same level as saying this is a game where a guy like John Wall could have helped in case Houston buys him out. Or Kyle Lowry could have helped in case Dallas signed him in the summer. Isn't it?

Actually I think Dallas had a closer shot at Lowry than they had with Dragic. And it was far out to begin with. Hence the tampering investigation with Riley and the Heat.

I’m referring more to the future. We don’t know yet if they will buy Dragic out but if they do the Mavs should bring him in. Or if a trade can be worked out for someone not significant to the Mavs (Powell/Burke). Even if they have to wait until next off season I think they should bring Dragic in (while also keeping Brunson if possible). Nights like tonight Dragic would help.
Joshrm
Sophomore
Posts: 121
And1: 22
Joined: Dec 10, 2019
       

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#12 » by Joshrm » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:55 am

Missing Free throws
Missing easy baskets at rim
Missing Open shot

Equal loss game
KhalilS
Analyst
Posts: 3,180
And1: 1,943
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#13 » by KhalilS » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:14 am

NBA LP is the worst NBA related product, it's not working since the morning :( I watched DEN/CHI instead which was on TV.
LAL1947
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,354
And1: 721
Joined: Dec 28, 2018

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#14 » by LAL1947 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:10 am

Joshrm wrote:Missing Free throws
Missing easy baskets at rim
Missing Open shot

Equal loss game

The missed 3-PT shots and baskets at the rim are especially annoying.

Jason Kidd needs to look the team up in the gym over All-Star break to have them working on these non-stop. :P
41Dirk41
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#15 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:38 am

LAL1947 wrote:
Joshrm wrote:Missing Free throws
Missing easy baskets at rim
Missing Open shot

Equal loss game

The missed 3-PT shots and baskets at the rim are especially annoying.

Jason Kidd needs to look the team up in the gym over All-Star break to have them working on these non-stop. :P


We only have streaky shooters.

Brunson is too small, around the rim everybody block him. And in the PO this problem is even bigger.
41Dirk41
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#16 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:53 am

Mr B wrote:The can play with the Suns. They just haven’t learned how to win these close games. They can’t close out. They’ve had the lead late in the game in both these games against the Suns. Chris’s Paul has taken over both games late in the 4th and the Suns have won both games.

This is a game where Dragic would have really helped. I like Ntilikina and he’s done some things really well but a good veteran PG with a high BB IQ these last two games.


Without Doncic they can't close out games against Phoenix, too much talentless.
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 8,819
And1: 2,177
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#17 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:23 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
Mr B wrote:The can play with the Suns. They just haven’t learned how to win these close games. They can’t close out. They’ve had the lead late in the game in both these games against the Suns. Chris’s Paul has taken over both games late in the 4th and the Suns have won both games.

This is a game where Dragic would have really helped. I like Ntilikina and he’s done some things really well but a good veteran PG with a high BB IQ these last two games.


Without Doncic they can't close out games against Phoenix, too much talentless.

Again, that’s why a guy like Dragic would help in this situation. When Luka is out the defense just keys on Brunson. The Mavs need another creator in addition to Brunson.
User avatar
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 9,061
And1: 27,444
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
     

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#18 » by Dirk » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:41 am

It's fascinating how over the past two seasons the Suns seem to play against a bunch of injured teams. Definitely the luckiest team in the league.

The Mavs looked better without Luka than one would anticipate. So this is a big positive and hopefully will translate into a better team when Luka gets back.
43/17/13
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 45,202
And1: 5,229
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#19 » by HMFFL » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:51 pm

Jalen Brunson put up 18 points on 7-of-19 shooting (1-of-4 3-pointers) with 10 assists, four rebounds, one steal, and just two turnovers as the Mavericks fell 112-104 to the Suns on Friday night.

Brunson made his second straight start on Friday sans Luka Doncic and he had another great performance. Brunson's 10 assists to just two turnovers were huge, and his ability to make plays for himself and others was the main reason that the Mavericks were able to hang around with Phoenix despite being without their best player. Brunson is a must-have in daily leagues as long as Luka remains out, but in standard leagues, he is still a great late-round value.

Nov 20, 2021, 1:46 AM ET



Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Archx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,494
And1: 3,938
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Suns (Friday, 10PM EST) 

Post#20 » by Archx » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:12 pm

HMFFL wrote:Jalen Brunson put up 18 points on 7-of-19 shooting (1-of-4 3-pointers) with 10 assists, four rebounds, one steal, and just two turnovers as the Mavericks fell 112-104 to the Suns on Friday night.

Brunson made his second straight start on Friday sans Luka Doncic and he had another great performance. Brunson's 10 assists to just two turnovers were huge, and his ability to make plays for himself and others was the main reason that the Mavericks were able to hang around with Phoenix despite being without their best player. Brunson is a must-have in daily leagues as long as Luka remains out, but in standard leagues, he is still a great late-round value.

Nov 20, 2021, 1:46 AM ET



Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app



I don't know who wrote this but apparently people hated how Brunson played in the 2nd half. KP was frozen out and took only 3 shots while Brunson was missing layups. Overall he's good but it's the same thing as last season, when Luka plays Brunson is a great 2nd fiddle but he is still not what some people think he is.

Return to Dallas Mavericks