ImageImageImage

What Do You Think Of Nico Harrison As GM?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Re: What Do You Think Of Nico Harrison As GM? 

Post#61 » by LAL1947 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:37 am

I'm not liking Nico's moves much. Not the signings in the summer... nor that he's trying to make the playoffs instead of tanking right now. Sacrificing 1 year to have 10 great years ahead... that's the kind of thing a good GM would recognize the need for, plan for, and work towards... even if he had to convince a numpty owner like Cuban of the need to tank rather than of filling seats for 1 round of the playoffs. It's been said that Nico was brought in as a relationship guy... and I can see that, as he doesn't seem like a basketball guy who knows what kind of roster is needed to have a consistently contending team.

There is a player at the top of this year's draft who could help make or break the Mavs' fortunes... and 2022 is the only 1st round pick the Mavs can count on until the pick owed to NY conveys... so Nico should be trying to make the best of it by tanking and getting the best player he can from this draft... especially since Luka is out of shape and the rest of the team mostly sucks. There are so few avenues to improve the team as the Mavs don't have good trade assets, and there will be no point tanking in later years when Luka is older and even more hungry to win. Timing is everything, tank now, get Jabari Smith Jr. The FO have already effed up the timing once by trading for KP instead of building through the draft. Just overall stupid from Mark Cuban and the FO, they're the Sacramento of Texas. Just wait and see how badly it's gonna suck for Mavs fans if Houston or the SA Spuds get Jabari Smith Jr instead.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#62 » by arkuo » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:17 am

LAL1947 wrote:I'm not liking Nico's moves much. Not the signings in the summer... nor that he's trying to make the playoffs instead of tanking right now. Sacrificing 1 year to have 10 great years ahead... that's the kind of thing a good GM would recognize the need for, plan for, and work towards... even if he had to convince a numpty owner like Cuban of the need to tank rather than of filling seats for 1 round of the playoffs. It's been said that Nico was brought in as a relationship guy... and I can see that as he doesn't seem like a basketball guy who knows what kind of roster is needed to have a consistently contending team. There is a player at the top of this year's draft who could help make or break the Mavs' fortunes... and 2022 is the only 1st round pick the Mavs can count on until the pick owed to NY conveys... so Nico should be trying to make the best of it by tanking and getting the best player he can from this draft... especially since Luka is out of shape and the rest of the team mostly sucks too. There are so few avenues to improve the team as the Mavs don't have good trade assets, and there will be no point tanking in later years when Luka is older and even more hungry to win. Timing is everything, and they've already effed up the timing once by trading for KP instead of building through the draft. Just overall stupid from Mark Cuban and the FO, they're the Sacramento of Texas. Just wait and see how badly it's gonna suck for Mavs fans if Houston or the SA Spuds get Jabari Smith Jr instead.

Houston started their tank early. So it's likely they end up with Jalen Green and Jabari Smith with lotto picks two years in a row.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,238

Post#63 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:30 am

LAL1947 wrote:I'm not liking Nico's moves much. Not the signings in the summer... nor that he's trying to make the playoffs instead of tanking right now. Sacrificing 1 year to have 10 great years ahead... that's the kind of thing a good GM would recognize the need for, plan for, and work towards... even if he had to convince a numpty owner like Cuban of the need to tank rather than of filling seats for 1 round of the playoffs. It's been said that Nico was brought in as a relationship guy... and I can see that as he doesn't seem like a basketball guy who knows what kind of roster is needed to have a consistently contending team. There is a player at the top of this year's draft who could help make or break the Mavs' fortunes... and 2022 is the only 1st round pick the Mavs can count on until the pick owed to NY conveys... so Nico should be trying to make the best of it by tanking and getting the best player he can from this draft... especially since Luka is out of shape and the rest of the team mostly sucks too. There are so few avenues to improve the team as the Mavs don't have good trade assets, and there will be no point tanking in later years when Luka is older and even more hungry to win. Timing is everything, and they've already effed up the timing once by trading for KP instead of building through the draft. Just overall stupid from Mark Cuban and the FO, they're the Sacramento of Texas. Just wait and see how badly it's gonna suck for Mavs fans if Houston or the SA Spuds get Jabari Smith Jr instead.

Are you seriously saying that the Mavericks should tank?
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by LAL1947 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:53 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:Are you seriously saying that the Mavericks should tank?

Yes and tank hard! Timing is everything. If there ever was a year for the Mavs to tank, this is it. The Mavs have no shot at this year's title... and very few assets to use in trades to get better players... and aren't a top FA destination either. When Luka is older, there will be less opportunity to tank, unless he gets injured and misses a season. There are some quality young players in this year's draft and the Mavs have their pick. Tank HARD and get the highest possible pick, then combine that pick with anything else the Mavs have of value to trade up for Jabari Smith Jr. This kid looks special, kinda like Evan Mobley with better offense. Luka #1, Jabari #2, KP #3... and now you have the pieces that fit and can compete for 8-10 years.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#65 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:04 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:If he can get the Myles Turner without giving up Luka, KP, THJ, Brunson, Kleber, or DFS, then that'd be a huge win.

Every team in the NBA wants Myles Turner. The dude is a beast in this area. How can you even consider we would get him without trading at least one of them?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yysnbny3
But only if the Mavs throw in unprotected first round picks in 2025 & 2027, along with pick swaps in 2022, 2024, and 2026. Mavs can also throw in cash and several 2nd round picks if need be.

That'd be overpaying, but as you and I both know, Mavs won't even offer it, so it's a moot point. If they did, they'd be mortgaging the foreseeable future for a guy who has never made an All-Star team.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#66 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:54 pm

LAL1947 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:Are you seriously saying that the Mavericks should tank?

Yes and tank hard! Timing is everything. If there ever was a year for the Mavs to tank, this is it. The Mavs have no shot at this year's title... and very few assets to use in trades to get better players... and aren't a top FA destination either. When Luka is older, there will be less opportunity to tank, unless he gets injured and misses a season. There are some quality young players in this year's draft and the Mavs have their pick. Tank HARD and get the highest possible pick, then combine that pick with anything else the Mavs have of value to trade up for Jabari Smith Jr. This kid looks special, kinda like Evan Mobley with better offense. Luka #1, Jabari #2, KP #3... and now you have the pieces that fit and can compete for 8-10 years.

1. I like you, but your idea is crazy
2. So you are going to walk up to Luka, KP, Hardaway, and Brunson and say, "Hey, we are tanking this year. You guys are not playing"?
3. Then you gamble on the Mavs being bad enough and lucky enough to get the first pick?
4. And then you gamble on Jabari Smith Jr. paning living up to his potential pretty darn quickly?

The chance of this working is so low. Just look at teams that have been trash for years because they missed in the lottery. You are basically going to **** on all the fans, the players, and the NBA for a huge gamble. This is why fans are not GM's.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#67 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:58 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:If he can get the Myles Turner without giving up Luka, KP, THJ, Brunson, Kleber, or DFS, then that'd be a huge win.

Every team in the NBA wants Myles Turner. The dude is a beast in this area. How can you even consider we would get him without trading at least one of them?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yysnbny3
But only if the Mavs throw in unprotected first round picks in 2025 & 2027, along with pick swaps in 2022, 2024, and 2026. Mavs can also throw in cash and several 2nd round picks if need be.

That'd be overpaying, but as you and I both know, Mavs won't even offer it, so it's a moot point. If they did, they'd be mortgaging the foreseeable future for a guy who has never made an All-Star team.

Yes, that makes sense with the picks, but it is a huge gamble because KP contract has expired that year (2025) and we have no idea what the team would like. It means the Mavs need to bring a winning team every year, there is no room for tanking because then Indy takes the pick till 2027 (more or less). I would not do it as Mavericks.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by LAL1947 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:41 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:1. I like you, but your idea is crazy
2. So you are going to walk up to Luka, KP, Hardaway, and Brunson and say, "Hey, we are tanking this year. You guys are not playing"?
3. Then you gamble on the Mavs being bad enough and lucky enough to get the first pick?
4. And then you gamble on Jabari Smith Jr. paning living up to his potential pretty darn quickly?

The chance of this working is so low. Just look at teams that have been trash for years because they missed in the lottery. You are basically going to **** on all the fans, the players, and the NBA for a huge gamble. This is why fans are not GM's.

Well, thank you very much for the compliment. :D I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer btw... and I don't think it's that crazy of an idea... not if you look at your hand, then realistically evaluate the gap between where you are and where you want to be.

Jabari Smith Jr isn't that much of a gamble. Just watch the kid play, he is going to be a stud in this league. Looks better than Evan Mobley did in college, and Mobley has shown himself to be a very high level prospect in his own right. Also, I wouldn't care about THJ or Brunson think... perhaps, not even KP... although having both Luka and KP on board would be great because this Jabari kid complements both of them. If I was the owner/GM and had a winning plan in mind, I'd go to Luka and say, this is the plan, are you on board? What is the alternative? 1st round exit after 1st round exit until he forces a trade out? Luka is a competitor... when you compete professionally, you know what you have in hand and what you don't compared to your competition. He'd be all for it IMO, as long as it was for just 1 year or even 2. Get the ship back on track, it's drifting all over the place right now but not in the direction of a title.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#69 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:56 pm

LAL1947 wrote:

Well, thank you very much for the compliment. :D I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer btw... and I don't think it's that crazy of an idea... not if you look at your hand, then realistically evaluate the gap between where you are and where you want to be.

Jabari Smith Jr isn't that much of a gamble. Just watch the kid play, he is going to be a stud in this league. Looks better than Evan Mobley did in college, and Mobley has shown himself to be a very high level prospect in his own right. Also, I wouldn't care about THJ or Brunson think... perhaps, not even KP... although having both Luka and KP on board would be great because this Jabari kid complements both of them. If I was the owner/GM and had a winning plan in mind, I'd go to Luka and say, this is the plan, are you on board? What is the alternative? 1st round exit after 1st round exit until he forces a trade out? Luka is a competitor... when you compete professionally, you know what you have in hand and what you don't compared to your competition. He'd be all for it IMO, as long as it was for just 1 year or even 2. Get the ship back on track, it's drifting all over the place right now but not in the direction of a title.

I don't think Luka would sit out, he would request a trade. Brunson is playing for a contract, he would definitely request a trade. KP coming finally being "healthy" would stink the place up. And the NBA would most likely do an investigation because they would not allow a team to tank this obvious. Also, if the team gets the worst record, the chance of getting the 1. pick of the draft is 14%. Then you have no guarantee for him ending up being a 3rd or 4th option when he has finally lived up to his potential.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#70 » by arkuo » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:27 am

They've always branded Nico Harrison as a "great judge" of talent since his Nike days. As he needs to see who to sign for Nike before they "blow up on the scene". At least that's what we're told when they hired him.

That being said, I'd like to see Nico being that judge of talent with a top 10 pick. That was what he was hired for anyway. To scout and develop these young guys more than being a shoe salesman. I'd like to see him do better than Donnie who set the bar so low.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#71 » by XTraderXL » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:21 am

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

I don't think Luka would sit out, he would request a trade. Brunson is playing for a contract, he would definitely request a trade. KP coming finally being "healthy" would stink the place up. And the NBA would most likely do an investigation because they would not allow a team to tank this obvious. Also, if the team gets the worst record, the chance of getting the 1. pick of the draft is 14%. Then you have no guarantee for him ending up being a 3rd or 4th option when he has finally lived up to his potential.

Its either tanking and at least giving yourself a shot or its more of the same for the next 2-3 years at least. 1st or 2nd round exit. Do you think Luka will tolerate this for long? If they keep doing what they are doing, Luka will demand a trade anyway. This team is horribly constructed and with Cuban in charge I dont see many things changing in the future. No free agents of consequence wants to come to Dallas, that Cuban line of how people will want to play with Luka was bullcrap and we all knew it when he said it. Harrisson will not change anything, he looks more and more like Cubans puppet. If Luka wants to win anything in this league, he will have to leave Dallas.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#72 » by arkuo » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:34 am

XTraderXL wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:Well, thank you very much for the compliment. :D I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer btw... and I don't think it's that crazy of an idea... not if you look at your hand, then realistically evaluate the gap between where you are and where you want to be.

Its either tanking and at least giving yourself a shot or its more of the same for the next 2-3 years at least. 1st or 2nd round exit. Do you think Luka will tolerate this for long? If they keep doing what they are doing, Luka will demand a trade anyway. This team is horribly constructed and with Cuban in charge I dont see many things changing in the future. No free agents of consequence wants to come to Dallas, that Cuban line of how people will want to play with Luka was bullcrap and we all knew it when he said it. Harrisson will not change anything, he looks more and more like Cubans puppet. If Luka wants to win anything in this league, he will have to leave Dallas.

To be fair, Luka is experiencing "Euro Tax" in thr NBA. It's harder to recruit American superstars to pair with Europeans in the NBA. These players want to hang out and "get lit". Things that won't translate directly if you hang around white kids. Dirk experienced the same thing, Jokic is experiencing the same thing in Denver now. Luka is not the first, nor would be the last to experience this.

That being said, Cuban and Nico have to be extra creative to pull talent to play with these guys. Like pay them outside of the salary tax, give them stock options etc. He'll just continue to get beta male black athletes like THJ and DFS to play here if he doesnt act quickly.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#73 » by XTraderXL » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:51 pm

arkuo wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

To be fair, Luka is experiencing "Euro Tax" in thr NBA. It's harder to recruit American superstars to pair with Europeans in the NBA. These players want to hang out and "get lit". Things that won't translate directly if you hang around white kids. Dirk experienced the same thing, Jokic is experiencing the same thing in Denver now. Luka is not the first, nor would be the last to experience this.

That being said, Cuban and Nico have to be extra creative to pull talent to play with these guys. Like pay them outside of the salary tax, give them stock options etc. He'll just continue to get beta male black athletes like THJ and DFS to play here if he doesnt act quickly.

Its a combination of things. Luka being a Euro is only a part of it. Cuban himself is also a big reason for FAs not wanting to come. He is just saying things to playcate his fanbase but the reality is very different. The guy is more or less incompetent as an owner and the main reason why Dallas is middle of the road franchise wits a generational superstar slowly coming into his prime.

I am willing to bet my house that the next move Dallas makes will be one that will not work out in the long run. But for the short term almost any move they make will be a positive one. The players on this team seem to be fed up with each other already. The main players have been together foor 3 years now and still havent improved. If anything they regressed as a team compared to where they were in 19/20.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,818

Post#74 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:57 pm

It's fun to think about when people were trying to justify our fails in OF with "it's difficult improve our roster" mantra and now a bunch of G-Leaguers didn't play worse than us news... Oh yes maybe someone even better.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#75 » by Darren » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:42 pm

As some of you are high on tanking, I look at the draft class for coming year. I figure out that with or without tanking, the Mavs may end up with similar talents. With the Mavs draft range, there's no guarantee that Mavs can net a starter. One dimension player with upside are everywhere with or without tanking. While the draft class is supposed to be rich in PF talents, I suspect things actually works out. Most PFs are 6-8. Bigs take times to bulk up and learn the defensive scheme. It's more possible that the Mavs find help in FA instead of draft pool. In case the Mavs want prospects in this caliber, I'd reach out to Eugene first.

It is unlikely that the Mavs end up with an upgrade over DFS in the draft range. There's not much elite athletic freak with elite measurement to start with. By the time the Mavs draft, this type of prospect is likely gone. It is also unlikely that the Mavs end up with elite shooter like Desmond Bane unless you want a 6-1 guard who may have trouble defensively.

If an athletic center or speedy combo guard is exactly what the Mavs is looking at, the Mavs could simply play the season out to see what happened. No need to tank at all. I think the Mavs could end up with an African athletic big. I don't know if it is the best fit next to KP and Luka, though. Surely, the Mavs need to fix the lack of interior defense issue. Getting an upgrade over Moses Brown is possible even without tanking. There's no much suitor to 7-footer in this league right now. Every year, some similar player sign with BAE or veteran minimum. So I don't think I would make much effort tanking for one.

I'd rather focus on developing available players like Moses Brown, Frank Ntilikina, Josh Green, Eugene Omoruyi or some other 10-day signees. Still, those players are far more likely to help the roster than any draftees within Mavs draft range.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#76 » by Darren » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:02 pm

The problem is if the Mavs truefully wants to build around KP and Luka, then the other 3 starters or closers must be strong defender. And the PF/C combo must be able to block, rebound and alter shots like crazy. I am not even sure that the Mavs should pay Brunson a big contract. Imagine who close out the game. You'd see what I mean. You can't hit 3 defensive liability and pray for a win. Even if KP try hard, KP could be a good shotblocker. But shotblocker doesn't mean a great defender. Even if Luka try hard, Luka won't be able to stop the opponent best player like Devin Booker does. So the Mavs has to be creative problem solver or break the core decisively. Otherwise, no chance the Mavs end up with a competitive squad by the time Luka's contract expire.

For example, KP for Simmons is a good start. At least, the Mavs get an elite defender in return. Then, the Mavs could fix the defensive problems somewhat. Hardaway regressed a lot on both end. Starting Simmons with DFS, the Mavs get two countable defender on court. Starting Maxi fix another one. The Mavs is one piece away from the puzzle. Let says the Mavs is able to pull a Hardaway + Powell + Brown + pick for Buddy + TT + Harkless trade. The Mavs gets a floor spacer in Seth's manner. I don't care if the Mavs has to give in pick to unload Powell

C - Kleber / Moses / Boban
PF - Simmons / Thompson / Chriss (assume WCS gets waived)
SF - DFS / Green / Harkless
SG - Buddy / Bullock / Ntilikina
PG - Luka / Brunson / Burke

Then, the defense would be significantly better with 3 best defenders on court with Luka. The playmaking will also be good with at least 2 playmakers on court. Indeed, Buddy can create somewhat unlike Hardaway. And the spacing is also good with Kleber and Buddy on court. By company, Moses, Boban, TT and Chriss should be able to match up with almost all teams. Harkless, Green, Bullock, Ntilikina by company could defend somewhat off bench. In case the Mavs need a bucket. Brunson or Burke can be sub into Simmons's place in closing second. If a stop is needed, Luka and Buddy could sit with somebody else from bench playing. Hence, the Mavs could at least be a legitimate blackhorse on playoff floor.
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#77 » by Absinthe » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:22 am

THJ’s contract should have went to Brunson instead. Neither can defend, but Brunson is at the very least a player who can create his own shot. THJ is a streak shooter who stands around. It was a bad signing.

The short term deals I don’t mind as much. They’ll eventually be expiring contracts aka trade fodder.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#78 » by arkuo » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:47 am

Absinthe wrote:THJ’s contract should have went to Brunson instead. Neither can defend, but Brunson is at the very least a player who can create his own shot. THJ is a streak shooter who stands around. It was a bad signing.

The short term deals I don’t mind as much. They’ll eventually be expiring contracts aka trade fodder.

Signing THJ was never in the cards. He was the panic button when Kyle Lowry told Cuban he's going to Miami. Cuban in turn had to do something for the sake of doing something. Hence we have THJ signed to a fresh 4 year contract in a directionless team. Next up for 4 year deals are Brunson and DFS this year. Same team for 7 seasons in a row. Bravo Cuban, bravo.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#79 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:43 pm

Darren wrote:C - Kleber / Moses / Boban
PF - Simmons / Thompson / Chriss (assume WCS gets waived)
SF - DFS / Green / Harkless
SG - Buddy / Bullock / Ntilikina
PG - Luka / Brunson / Burke

I don't see how this makes the team better. The Mavs will have to face Gobert and Jokic in the playoffs. The way the Mavs can take advantage of that is spreading out, making Gobert and Jokic stand on the perimeter guarding KP. Now they can guard Simmons and the whole advantage is gone. They also going to destroy poor Kleber and Moses. Simmons also needs the ball in his hands to be effective. That means you have to play Luka off-ball, something that is not his advantage.

I would rather see us trade Brunson for a 3-4 who can score, like Pascal Siakam, Jerami Grant or Jaylen Brown.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#80 » by Mr B » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:24 pm

arkuo wrote:
Absinthe wrote:THJ’s contract should have went to Brunson instead. Neither can defend, but Brunson is at the very least a player who can create his own shot. THJ is a streak shooter who stands around. It was a bad signing.

Signing THJ was never in the cards. He was the panic button when Kyle Lowry told Cuban he's going to Miami. Cuban in turn had to do something for the sake of doing something. Hence we have THJ signed to a fresh 4 year contract in a directionless team. Next up for 4 year deals are Brunson and DFS this year. Same team for 7 seasons in a row. Bravo Cuban, bravo.

I don’t think the THJ signing was hitting the panic button. I think he was Plan B all along. They likely would have signed him even if they did sign Lowry.

Return to Dallas Mavericks