ImageImageImage

Thoughts On Davis Bertans

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Thoughts On Davis Bertans 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:05 am

What do you all think of Davis Bertans as a player? What do you think of his contract? What's his ideal role with the team? How long will he be a Maverick?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,359

Re: Thoughts On Davis Bertans 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:16 am

He used to be 6'10" Duncan Robinson, this he's sucked, but Wizards are a mess this year, I hope he regains his shooting.

Sent from my SM-N986B using RealGM mobile app
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#3 » by arkuo » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:17 am

At some point he should get his shooting back like most shooters do. Bertans runs around screens and I like that type of game with Luka just randomly throwing passes here and there.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:17 am

KhalilS wrote:He used to be 6'10" Duncan Robinson, this he's sucked, but Wizards are a mess this year, I hope he regains his shooting.

Sent from my SM-N986B using RealGM mobile app

With a playmaker like Luka, he just might.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:19 am

I hope Bertans can contribute on the boards or on defense. I've seen him finish in transition, but I don't see him cut or roll to the basket in the half-court, so maybe we can see him do some of that too. But I think he'll just be a stretch 4/3 off the bench.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:19 am

arkuo wrote:At some point he should get his shooting back like most shooters do. Bertans runs around screens and I like that type of game with Luka just randomly throwing passes here and there.

That's what the Mavs lost when they traded away Seth Curry, and it's what they wanted in JJ Redick and Tyler Bey, so I hope it works out this time.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:20 am

Honestly though, I think the Mavs will try and trade him in the offseason, along with their expiring contracts. They'll probably target someone like Siakam, John Collins, or Myles Turner. Maybe Julius Randle, but ionno if I like that kind of fit with Luka tbh.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:21 am

Washington turned this dude into a chucker.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,450

Post#9 » by sasquatchBob » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:48 am

HairyGOATee wrote:I hope Bertans can contribute on the boards or on defense. I've seen him finish in transition, but I don't see him cut or roll to the basket in the half-court, so maybe we can see him do some of that too. But I think he'll just be a stretch 4/3 off the bench.

He's not good at rebounding or defense.

But couple of years he was averaging 15 points on > 40% from three. If he can get back to his pre contract form then he's a good player.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:52 am

sasquatchBob wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:I hope Bertans can contribute on the boards or on defense. I've seen him finish in transition, but I don't see him cut or roll to the basket in the half-court, so maybe we can see him do some of that too. But I think he'll just be a stretch 4/3 off the bench.

But couple of years he was averaging 15 points on > 40% from three. If he can get back to his pre contract form then he's a good player.

Yep, that's what I'm hoping for. He won't provide rebounding or defense, much like you said, but if he can play like he did with the Spurs, then it's a fine get.

Still not a good contract though.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:52 am

sasquatchBob wrote:

Yep, that's what I'm hoping for. He won't provide rebounding or defense, much like you said, but if he can play like he did with the Spurs, then it's a fine get.

Still not a good contract though.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#12 » by jpengland » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:07 pm

The issue with his drop in % doesn't look like a Wizards issue.

The make up of his shots look similar through his career. He's assisted on 100%, of his threes, it's not like he's just started launching off the dribble.

His defense is woeful and he's going to be borderline unplayable in the post season.

Genuinely think he's dead money. We are going to have to pay big to get out of the deal.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,857

Post#13 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:09 pm

Somehow I'm getting Brian Cardinal vibes with him but that might just be the height and shooting. Hope he can prove some value on the boards and our good defense.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,857

Post#14 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:09 pm

Somehow I'm getting Brian Cardinal vibes with him but that might just be the height and shooting. Hope he can prove some value on the boards and our good defense.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#15 » by Bob8 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:39 pm

jpengland wrote:The issue with his drop in % doesn't look like a Wizards issue.

The make up of his shots look similar through his career. He's assisted on 100%, of his threes, it's not like he's just started launching off the dribble.

His defense is woeful and he's going to be borderline unplayable in the post season.

Genuinely think he's dead money. We are going to have to pay big to get out of the deal.

Issue is totally correlated with Wizards, you should just take a little bit of your time and look at his playing time. He started slow, came out of shape in preparation camp, and with progression of the season they basically benched him. There's no shooter in the world, who can have good numbers playing only 10 minutes per game.

Just look at individual games, when he played 20 minutes +. Starting from back,

Vs. Cho 4/7
Vs. Mia 5/10
Vs. Phi 4/9
Vs. Den 5/9
Vs. Utah 2/4
Vs. Cle 2/4
Vs. Bos 2/9
Vs. Brk 0/2
Vs. Ind 4/9

You can see that he had only 2 bad shooting games, when he played more than 20 minutes, both in the start of the season. There's no reason he can't be back over 40%, if Mavs will give him normal playing time.

I'm sure that he's very playable, when he's hot, no matter how bad his D might be. You can always play zone or put him on the worst wing player. How many times have Mavs lost games in the 4th Q, because everyone was bricking? Bertans is far better shooter than other Mavs.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,359

Post#16 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:41 pm

Cardinal was tough as nails and wiley as a fox, Bertans is nowhere near, but Cardinal wasn't 1/10 of the shooter Bertans is.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#17 » by arkuo » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:55 pm

Windhorst said it best. When Davis got injured, he left the USA to rehab abroad. This was prior to the pandemic lockdowns. He didnt make it back, was absent in the bubble. He signed the Wizards' contract from Europe. When he got back this season, he looked like he forgot how to shoot.

It's situations like that that make you think he'll get his mojo back if he keeps shooting. This isnt a Markelle Fultz situatio . You dont get to forget how to shoot overnight. He'll get it back once he launches a couple more and gets more minutes. The contract is ugly though. But its a price Cuban was willing to pay so he can sign someone big in 2023 with that cap space opening up. You win some you lose some. Its a risk worth taking if it means getting a chance to land Jokic.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#18 » by daoneandonly » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:55 pm

He sucks at defense, rebounding, posting up, dribbling, passing, blocking. Yeah that's worth 17 mil
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,809

Post#19 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:03 pm

He is a killer and i think he doesn't sucks at all... Obviously he doesn't earn that contract.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#20 » by Bob8 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:12 pm

daoneandonly wrote:He sucks at defense, rebounding, posting up, dribbling, passing, blocking. Yeah that's worth 17 mil

Most of those things is true for KP too, you just need to add inefficient shooting and you have max. player, who was traded for Bertans. Kinda makes sense.

Return to Dallas Mavericks