ImageImageImage

Thoughts On Davis Bertans

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,248

Re: Thoughts On Davis Bertans 

Post#21 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:15 pm

People look at him as a power forward, like Channing Frye, but his playstyle is more like Peja Stojakovic. He runs around screens and got a super quick release. Last season he shot 40% on 7.5 three-point attempts per game. Nobody is looking for him to rebound or block shot because he is a 3, not a 4. He is a pure shooter and I can't wait too see what he looks like with Luka feeding him.

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#22 » by daoneandonly » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:23 pm

Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:He sucks at defense, rebounding, posting up, dribbling, passing, blocking. Yeah that's worth 17 mil

Most of those things is true for KP too, you just need to add inefficient shooting and you have max. player, who was traded for Bertans. Kinda makes sense.

Kp is a better rebounder and can block. We get it, he didn't love Luka so you hate him. Deni isn't European so he sucks. But Bertans will be wonderful here, because he's euro right?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,416

Post#23 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:25 pm

Well, imagine him as the back screener for Luka/Brunson, Powell rolling, Bertans popping, 2 shooters at each side, or DFS and Bertan screen and pop.
We'll see, looking forward to him helping in both 1st and 2nd unit, and Dimwittie and Burke/Brunson running the 2nd unit, if it works, it'll bring down Luka to 30MPG in majority of games.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#24 » by daoneandonly » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:28 pm

KhalilS wrote:Well, imagine him as the back screener for Luka/Brunson, Powell rolling, Bertans popping, 2 shooters at each side, or DFS and Bertan screen and pop.
We'll see, looking forward to him helping in both 1st and 2nd unit, and Dimwittie and Burke/Brunson running the 2nd unit, if it works, it'll bring down Luka to 30MPG in majority of games.

I can see him Brunson and Luka together. Allowing 48 points in a quarter
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#25 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:32 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Well, imagine him as the back screener for Luka/Brunson, Powell rolling, Bertans popping, 2 shooters at each side, or DFS and Bertan screen and pop.

I can see him Brunson and Luka together. Allowing 48 points in a quarter

Agreed, both Betans and Brunson together is an overkill defensively, but if Luka is playing 30 MPG, he can invest in defense, and Bertans has no lateral speed (or any speed for that matter), but unlike Brunson, he's 6'10", he'll contest shots.
Luka rested and motivated is a good defender, Luka playing 38-40 MPG with the load of offense on him is a traffic cone who fouls a lot.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Post#26 » by Bob8 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:46 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:He sucks at defense, rebounding, posting up, dribbling, passing, blocking. Yeah that's worth 17 mil

Most of those things is true for KP too, you just need to add inefficient shooting and you have max. player, who was traded for Bertans. Kinda makes sense.

Kp is a better rebounder and can block. We get it, he didn't love Luka so you hate him. Deni isn't European so he sucks. But Bertans will be wonderful here, because he's euro right?

Your logic with some racial undertone is not the best. I hate one Latvian and love other and hate Avdija because he's supposedly not European? :lol:

Btw. check who is Avdija's father.

KP couldn't rebound, dribble, pass and post. The same things you're saying for Bertans. His D was mediocre at best. The only thing Kp was elite is blocking. But we have big difference in shooting too. Like I said, difficult to get good player for bad player.

Bertans against Luka in Eurobasket

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#27 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:49 pm

Avdija's father is Yuguslav (Bosnian I think), and his mother is Ashkenzai jew, he's European for all intents and purposes.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#28 » by Bob8 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:52 pm

KhalilS wrote:Avdija's father is Yuguslav (Bosnian I think), and his mother is Ashkenzai jew, he's European for all intents and purposes.

Kosovo, part of Serbia back then.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#29 » by daoneandonly » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:57 pm

Even so, Kp at 31 mil is much better value than Bertans and Dimwith at 17 each
Bob8
General Manager

Post#30 » by Bob8 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:14 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Even so, Kp at 31 mil is much better value than Bertans and Dimwith at 17 each

Look, can we please try a bit of logical thinking.

Do you agree there must be a good reason for trading KP? Forget about us fans and what we think we know, just concentrate on management. The easiest thing to do was to no do anything. But they did it. My wild guess is that they know more than we and have some kind of a plan. And trading KP for those 2 must have make a lot of sense, because otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Fans talking about trades is fun, but means nothing, because we don't have enough informations to evaluate what is going on.

I like the trade. Because,

A.) Kp is finally gone.
B.) Management has finally started rebuilding the team.
C.) I believe they, especially Bertans, can be useful, while they're here, which most likely won't the full contract.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#31 » by daoneandonly » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:20 pm

Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Even so, Kp at 31 mil is much better value than Bertans and Dimwith at 17 each

Do you agree there must be a good reason for trading KP? Forget about us fans and what we think we know, just concentrate on management. The easiest thing to do was to no do anything. But they did it. My wild guess is that they know more than we and have some kind of a plan. And trading KP for those 2 must have make a lot of sense, because otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Fans talking about trades is fun, but means nothing, because we don't have enough informations to evaluate what is going on.

A.) Kp is finally gone.
C.) I believe they, especially Bertans, can be useful, while they're here, which most likely won't the full contract.

Bullet point B makes no sense. How is it rebuilding when you take on 2 bad, long term contracts
Bob8
General Manager

Post#32 » by Bob8 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:28 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

A.) Kp is finally gone.

Bullet point B makes no sense. How is it rebuilding when you take on 2 bad, long term contracts

Because plan A was building team around Luka and KP. They tried, it didn't work and they moved on.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#33 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:48 am

dirkules_41 wrote:Somehow I'm getting Brian Cardinal vibes with him but that might just be the height and shooting. Hope he can prove some value on the boards and our good defense.

That'd be dope. Cardinal brought hustle and toughness though. I'm not sure Bertans brings those, but he's a better shooter than Cardinal.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,859

Post#34 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:57 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Somehow I'm getting Brian Cardinal vibes with him but that might just be the height and shooting. Hope he can prove some value on the boards and our good defense.

That'd be dope. Cardinal brought hustle and toughness though. I'm not sure Bertans brings those, but he's a better shooter than Cardinal.

Yes, I think it's the height and position and the fact that he comes in with an albatross of a contract and low expectations that create the resemblance to me. Obviously they're quite different players.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#35 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:48 pm

Yeah. Cardinal and Bertans are different players. Country hip is more of a bruiser Eduardo Najera type. Bertans has more dribbling skills but when his shot is not falling, he is pretty much useles. I'd say he's more of a Joe Harris type right now.

Im telling you guys. Seems Like Dudley and Nico are trying to build the same type of Brooklyn Nets team pre-KD. That team had a lot of good players just playing roles and having fun. If you replaced D-Angelo Russell in that team with Luka, that team would have gone to the ECF easily IMO. Dinwiddie, Levert, Joe Harris and Jarret Allen all were good pieces that needed an alpha like Luka leading the charge. I can see a similar path drawn under Nico as GM and Dudley as chief recruiter.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#36 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:18 pm

arkuo wrote:Yeah. Cardinal and Bertans are different players. Country hip is more of a bruiser Eduardo Najera type. Bertans has more dribbling skills but when his shot is not falling, he is pretty much useles. I'd say he's more of a Joe Harris type right now.

Im telling you guys. Seems Like Dudley and Nico are trying to build the same type of Brooklyn Nets team pre-KD. That team had a lot of good players just playing roles and having fun. If you replaced D-Angelo Russell in that team with Luka, that team would have gone to the ECF easily IMO. Dinwiddie, Levert, Joe Harris and Jarret Allen all were good pieces that needed an alpha like Luka leading the charge. I can see a similar path drawn under Nico as GM and Dudley as chief recruiter.

Completely different... Bertans has more skills and he is more athletic ( i don't know if he lost a step or not), the Custodian is a better defender and glue guy.

He his our best shooters by far, when he is hot he can put 20points easily.
Obviously we have to protect him in the other halfcourt :lol:

Yes he is a taller version of Duncan Robinson or Joe Harris (with similar contract too).

Adding Allen to this roster we become a dangerous team.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,280

Post#37 » by MrGoat » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:27 pm

One trick pony who gets banged up a lot. Looks like the classic case of regression after getting paid. And he was an overpay even when he was shooting well. Look at the contract Bullock got in comparison and he plays defense to go with his 3s.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,248

Post#38 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:27 pm

From his interview with the media after the trade: "It's tough to have team chemistry when every single day, the team is basically fighting with each other about 'I want to get more minutes' and 'I want a bigger role.'" Bertans said. "That was probably the biggest part of struggles for most guys during the season. That kinda early on that doesn't show up because everybody's trying to figure out what's going on. Once it starts going downhill, it's really hard to turn around and start going up again."

Like other people pointed out, it is really hard for a shooter to get consistent when you never know how many shots you are getting. Will I go out after 1 shot or 10 shots? Will I be playing for 5 minutes or 25 minutes? After watching his highlights he really seems to be a great fit with Luka because he is a lazer and got a super quick release. My impression is that the Wizards did not have any playmakers for him. Can't wait to see what he brings.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#39 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:31 pm

Yeah the fit isn't the question. The fit is there, it's the money owed that is the point of contention for most people. If Bertans was paid the league minimum, this topic would have had 3 replies at maximum. But like I said, the team is over the cap and it's Cuban paying the bill. It's his problem now. He has to pay Brunson on top of that too. But at least Dallas is not Detroit in terms of spending. Almost at the salary limit but last in the league in standings.

For the record, that Washington team has been messy for a while now. That locker room is just a mess. From Gilbert Arenas bringing gun to the locker room to now fighting almost daily. Beal seems quiet as he runs the show with the GM. He knows he's safe.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#40 » by Michaellam1987 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:21 pm

Of course it is Cuban’s problem to pay the money. But why we are all here to discuss and raise our opinion because we all support the mavericks team. And the central area of this website is about “realgm” hence we if don’t think ourself as real GM to run the team in the optimal way, then what is the point of having this forum?

Return to Dallas Mavericks