NBA All-Star Game Thread 2022

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: NBA All-Star Game Thread 2022 

Post#41 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:13 pm

Bob8 wrote:
About Dragic, Luka has for sure much more important relationships with Dragic. They were roommates almost 2 months playing Eurobasket for Slovenia and they train together sometimes in of season in Ljubljana.

Are you kidding me now? I have yet to see a 22 year old who wants to hang out and party with old man Dragic. C'mon, don't be naïve. If Doncic really wants Dragic to be in Dallas, he would have been in a Mavs jersey by now. Cuban would have made it happen easily. The fact that its taking this long says not having Dragic is not a deal breaker.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#42 » by Bob8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:14 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

I could return that question to you and ask why Nikola and his brothers would prefer Miami and LA over Dallas?

Because no one knows at this point. And a huge part of this (which you are overlooking now) depends on how well Luka recruits from today until the summer of 2023. We're just speculating about things that have not happened yet. What Im saying is the Mavs have placed themselves in a position to sign someone in 2023 and 2024, be it for Jokic or the 97 other free agents who will be looking for employment in that same time frame. You cant fault them for trying.

I asked you that because you were talking about Rolex watches, changing perspective...;) You're telling me that Denver might be too small for them and Miami/LA to big?

What I meant was people find happiness in certain places. If you think about it, Denver has signed on their core for the next 4 years. That team is intact. Murray is signed on for 3 years, Aaron Gordon for 4 years, and the American version of Kristaps Porzingis (Michael Porter Jr) is signed on for half a decade. Come to think of it, that is insane. And none of those players are in the same level as a Luka Doncic. Denver will get it's cap space by 2025 at the earliest, Dallas can get it by 2023. Dallas has more flexibility in 2023 and 2024. A crazy scenario would be Dallas signing Jokic in 2023, and Dame Lillard comes to his senses and takes a bit less and comes over in 2024. Granted that Lillard would be a little bit older then, but a Jokic-Doncic-Lillard big three trumps anything the league has to offer by then. Those things are not guaranteed but can happen in Dallas as much as any other team with cap space, Denver's hands are tied until 2025. All that flexibility was created when they sent KP away.

Dallas had Dirk? How many superstar did they sign in that period? Yes, everything is possible, right question is, how probable it is?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#43 » by Bob8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:16 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
About Dragic, Luka has for sure much more important relationships with Dragic. They were roommates almost 2 months playing Eurobasket for Slovenia and they train together sometimes in of season in Ljubljana.

Are you kidding me now? I have yet to see a 22 year old who wants to hang out and party with old man Dragic. C'mon, don't be naïve. If Doncic really wants Dragic to be in Dallas, he would have been in a Mavs jersey by now. Cuban would have made it happen easily. The fact that its taking this long says not having Dragic is not a deal breaker.

That's exactly my point, Luka has far better relationships with Dragic than with Jokic and even he's not here. It obviously doesn't mean much for those players to force to play together. Mentality is totally different than those Americans we need to form super team mentality.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#44 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:18 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
I asked you that because you were talking about Rolex watches, changing perspective...;) You're telling me that Denver might be too small for them and Miami/LA to big?

What I meant was people find happiness in certain places. If you think about it, Denver has signed on their core for the next 4 years. That team is intact. Murray is signed on for 3 years, Aaron Gordon for 4 years, and the American version of Kristaps Porzingis (Michael Porter Jr) is signed on for half a decade. Come to think of it, that is insane. And none of those players are in the same level as a Luka Doncic. Denver will get it's cap space by 2025 at the earliest, Dallas can get it by 2023. Dallas has more flexibility in 2023 and 2024. A crazy scenario would be Dallas signing Jokic in 2023, and Dame Lillard comes to his senses and takes a bit less and comes over in 2024. Granted that Lillard would be a little bit older then, but a Jokic-Doncic-Lillard big three trumps anything the league has to offer by then. Those things are not guaranteed but can happen in Dallas as much as any other team with cap space, Denver's hands are tied until 2025. All that flexibility was created when they sent KP away.

Dallas had Dirk? How many superstar did they sign in that period? Yes, everything is possible, right question is, how probable it is?

You didn't read what I posted earlier. Dirk is introverted as opposed to Luka who is taking an active role in recruiting. Dirk would shy away from calling other stars and would defer the recruitment to Donnie. Luka on the other hand embraces the limelight and based off the eye test, would gladly get on his iphone and call Jokic to play NBA 2K on his PlayStation 5. You are referring to the old Dallas with Dirk and Donnie. This is the new Dallas with Luka and Nico Harrison and even Mr. Congeniality, Jared Dudley. It's their first year together, how do you count them out this early?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#45 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:21 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

That's exactly my point, Luka has far better relationships with Dragic than with Jokic and even he's not here. It obviously doesn't mean much for those players to force to play together. Mentality is totally different than those Americans we need to form super team mentality.

Well the optics from that is if Luka likes winning, he will try to do a better job at recruiting Jokic, rather than lift the Slovenian flag with Dragic and sing kumbaya every game. Dragic will not do squat at this stage of his career. Jokic is a difference maker. It's not hard to comrpehend.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#46 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:22 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Dirk has a much different personality than Luka. Dirk is an introvert who never cared to help with recruiting players. Also people talk about Dirk taking huge pay cuts (which he did) but that was late in his career when he was already old. The Mavs never had the cap space during Dirk’s prime to lure in elite free agents. Rashard Lewis was the biggest FA they went after during Dirk’s prime.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#47 » by Bob8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:24 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

You didn't read what I posted earlier. Dirk is introverted as opposed to Luka who is taking an active role in recruiting. Dirk would shy away from calling other stars and would defer the recruitment to Donnie. Luka on the other hand embraces the limelight and based off the eye test, would gladly get on his iphone and call Jokic to play NBA 2K on his PlayStation 5. You are referring to the old Dallas with Dirk and Donnie. This is the new Dallas with Luka and Nico Harrison and even Mr. Congeniality, Jared Dudley. It's their first year together, how do you count them out this early?

Is Luka really recruiting? Why aren't we see any talks about Goran, Bogdan, Vucevic or his very good friend Hernangomez?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#48 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:25 pm

Simply put, I would think Dallas has a much better shot at landing Jokic in 2023 than they did trying to sign Giannis back then. You got superstars speaking the same language and hanging out, you got his agent being buddies with Cuban. Doncic never hung out with Giannis, but he does with Jokic. Something stars like Lebron also do with other stars in LA in the offseason. I dont see the difference.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#49 » by Bob8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:26 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Well the optics from that is if Luka likes winning, he will try to do a better job at recruiting Jokic, rather than lift the Slovenian flag with Dragic and sing kumbaya every game. Dragic will not do squat at this stage of his career. Jokic is a difference maker. It's not hard to comrpehend.

He could have forced to get Goran 3 years ago, when he was still very good. Goran was even offered in a trade to Dallas, but Dallas didn't want his salary.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#50 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:27 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Is Luka really recruiting? Why aren't we see any talks about Goran, Bogdan, Vucevic or his very good friend Hernangomez?

Brogdon and Vucevic have been under contract for a while now. If the Mavs had not traded for Dinwiddie I have no doubt Dragic would have signed in Dallas.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#51 » by Bob8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:28 pm

arkuo wrote:Simply put, I would think Dallas has a much better shot at landing Jokic in 2023 than they did trying to sign Giannis back then. You got superstars speaking the same language and hanging out, you got his agent being buddies with Cuban. Doncic never hung out with Giannis, but he does with Jokic. Something stars like Lebron also do with other stars in LA in the offseason. I dont see the difference.

This hanging out is totally overblown. They were together few times and that's it. Luka has very good friends between basketball players, but I doubt Rupnik&co. can help Mavs. ;)
Mr B
RealGM

Post#52 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:30 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:Simply put, I would think Dallas has a much better shot at landing Jokic in 2023 than they did trying to sign Giannis back then. You got superstars speaking the same language and hanging out, you got his agent being buddies with Cuban. Doncic never hung out with Giannis, but he does with Jokic. Something stars like Lebron also do with other stars in LA in the offseason. I dont see the difference.

This hanging out is totally overblown. They were together few times and that's it. Luka has very good friends between basketball players, but I doubt Rupnik&co. can help Mavs. ;)

I guess we will just have to see. I am certainly glad though that they have at least given themselves a chance to get in the conversation at making a run at Jokic.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#53 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:30 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Well, kindly define recruiting?

Do subtle jokes with double meaning count?

December 2020 - Luka says "I wouldn't trade anyone, I can't trade anyone. It's not my job. If Jokic wants to come over, he should come over. He knows he wants to". Obviously a joke, but cant it be half meant?

February 2022- Jokic says “Off the court, I think we’re doing really good job. But we’re going to see on the court. I don’t know how we’re going to do it because he’s not athletic, I’m not athletic, so I don’t know how we’re going to match." You wouldn't say you're friends off the court if you actually were not right?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#54 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:32 pm

Bob8 wrote:

https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-nikola-jokic-gets-brutally-honest-on-being-all-star-teammates-with-luka-doncic/

Jokic on his relationship with Luka off the court. They're not "just together a few times" as you would put it.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#55 » by Bob8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:34 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

December 2020 - Luka says "I wouldn't trade anyone, I can't trade anyone. It's not my job. If Jokic wants to come over, he should come over. He knows he wants to". Obviously a joke, but cant it be half meant?

February 2022- Jokic says “Off the court, I think we’re doing really good job. But we’re going to see on the court. I don’t know how we’re going to do it because he’s not athletic, I’m not athletic, so I don’t know how we’re going to match." You wouldn't say you're friends off the court if you actually were not right?

I don't know what is definition of being good friends, but talking few minutes after and before games and having a lunch in a bubble with the whole Balkan squad, isn't imho enough.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#56 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:37 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I don't know what is definition of being good friends, but talking few minutes after and before games and having a lunch in a bubble with the whole Balkan squad, isn't imho enough.

We can agree to disagree then. I guess all this will hinge on the event when Jokic will sign that Denver extension next season. If he fails to do that and it drags on to free agency, then Mavs have as good a shot as any other team with cap space.

For you to sign a free agent, you first have to create the cap space. Mavs have done step one so far. Next few months will determine whether Jokic is possibility or if they need to sign a combo of other lower tier players.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#57 » by Bob8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:41 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

We can agree to disagree then. I guess all this will hinge on the event when Jokic will sign that Denver extension next season. If he fails to do that and it drags on to free agency, then Mavs have as good a shot as any other team with cap space.

For you to sign a free agent, you first have to create the cap space. Mavs have done step one so far. Next few months will determine whether Jokic is possibility or if they need to sign a combo of other lower tier players.

No, I totally agree with you, that Mavs have as good a shot as any other team with cap space, if he doesn't sign an extension. But your original claim was something totally different.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#58 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:42 pm

Another thing to note is Dallas also has like $40M in cap space in 2024 if they don't sign anyone in 2023. Or rather just sign players to 1 year deals.

Dame Lillard who will be 31 by then can leave Portland on his own terms. Between now and 2024, I don't see Portland turning it around and winning the West. I'd say he is another viable option. He likes Nico Harrison and Jason Kidd very much.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#59 » by Bob8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:58 pm

Mr B wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Brogdon and Vucevic have been under contract for a while now. If the Mavs had not traded for Dinwiddie I have no doubt Dragic would have signed in Dallas.

Goran is ending his career, he will sign whoever will offer him more money and some contenders are in big need for him, after CP3 injury, including Suns.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#60 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:05 am

Apparently Luka is the one that threw the ball that hit Chris Paul in the head. Check out Jokic’s reaction.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Dallas Mavericks