ImageImageImage

RS 21/22 - Mavs vs Knicks (8:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,039

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs vs Knicks (8:30PM EST) 

Post#61 » by daoneandonly » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:12 pm

Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
One player can be off, problem is that Kleber is off too and Bertans supposedly having psychological problems because of the war in Ukraine, add injured THJ and Mavs can quickly become without shooters. Next, on paper easier game, can be crucial.

Is Bertans able to see into the future? because his shot has bene crap way before the Ukraine invasion. He's sucked since he got the big, fat guaranteed contract. That's the kind of guy he is, he worked hard until he got the big automatic money. Now he doesnt care.

You should look at history between Russia and Baltic states and you might understand that things might look pretty dramatic for people there. But I guess that is too much to ask.

I can empathize with that, but he didnt just start playing awful when this happened, thats my point. He has been a crap player after he got a big fat guaranteed 5 year deal. That's the problem, when he was in a contract year, he was incredible. Coincidence? I doubt it
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#62 » by Archx » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:27 pm

Interesting comment from reddit.

Mavs are 23-8 in 2022 with losses against the Magic, Thunder, and two blowouts against the Knicks

Apparently Mavs simply can't play vs lesser (tanking) teams. I'm shocked they were actually able to win some against the Kings lol..
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,425

Post#63 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:14 pm

Archx wrote:Interesting comment from reddit.

Mavs are 23-8 in 2022 with losses against the Magic, Thunder, and two blowouts against the Knicks

Apparently Mavs simply can't play vs lesser (tanking) teams. I'm shocked they were actually able to win some against the Kings lol..

This was a problem last year also, but this year, in the beginning (when they started 9-4), they were barely beating bad teams and getting blown out by good teams, then they started to lose to everyone.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#64 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:56 pm

Darren wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Very bad game but without 3s we can lose against every team. This NBA is basically a 3 points contest.

That's true. Bullock has to be more consistent on both end. Spacing the floor and fighting through screen in particular. Some players have to learn to get to the line when jumpers are not falling. SAS did it a lot on the Mavs leading by Fin, Dirk and Nash.

But against this type of matchup, I'd rather substitute a Randle stopper for Bullock. DFS can defend the perimeter but not strong enough in paint. Bullock guard Randle rather badly. I'd rather let Luka guard Randle. At least, Luka is significantly stronger. I'd even try Boban instead of subbing in Bertans. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with Maxi? There are more bad games than good games from Maxi this season. A step slow at everything. Brunson is not aggressive when opposing teams crowd the driving lane. I should say the Mavs need to bring back Marquis Chriss as soon as possible.

Let's be real. Babbit really play very well. Pretty underrated player overall. So is Randle. If the Mavs can't even guard Gibson and Fournier, the result won't be too desirable.

I don't see a lockdown defender in Bullock, i don't even see a good defender... He is average with good hustle, if he doesn't make 3s is useless.

At least DFS has good athletism and he can rebound.

If we can't make 3s then Brunson has problem because the other teams can close the paint very well.

Yes i don't understand because Kidd never try Boban.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Post#65 » by Bob8 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:29 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
Darren wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Very bad game but without 3s we can lose against every team. This NBA is basically a 3 points contest.

That's true. Bullock has to be more consistent on both end. Spacing the floor and fighting through screen in particular. Some players have to learn to get to the line when jumpers are not falling. SAS did it a lot on the Mavs leading by Fin, Dirk and Nash.

But against this type of matchup, I'd rather substitute a Randle stopper for Bullock. DFS can defend the perimeter but not strong enough in paint. Bullock guard Randle rather badly. I'd rather let Luka guard Randle. At least, Luka is significantly stronger. I'd even try Boban instead of subbing in Bertans. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with Maxi? There are more bad games than good games from Maxi this season. A step slow at everything. Brunson is not aggressive when opposing teams crowd the driving lane. I should say the Mavs need to bring back Marquis Chriss as soon as possible.

Let's be real. Babbit really play very well. Pretty underrated player overall. So is Randle. If the Mavs can't even guard Gibson and Fournier, the result won't be too desirable.

I don't see a lockdown defender in Bullock, i don't even see a good defender... He is average with good hustle, if he doesn't make 3s is useless.

At least DFS has good athletism and he can rebound.

If we can't make 3s then Brunson has problem because the other teams can close the paint very well.

Yes i don't understand because Kidd never try Boban.

Boban cannot play Kidd's system in D.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,425

Post#66 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:53 pm

Bob8 wrote:

Kidd's system was being bullied Gibson, Robinson and Randle, when your frontcourt is this short and small, there must be plan B for such cases, either that or make piece with giving up Knicks and Cavs games unless shooting 50+% from 3, this frontcourt doesn't exist in the western conference.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#67 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:58 pm

You both are right... Maybe Nico thinked that some teams waived some C.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#68 » by Bob8 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:06 pm

KhalilS wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Kidd's system was being bullied Gibson, Robinson and Randle, when your frontcourt is this short and small, there must be plan B for such cases, either that or make piece with giving up Knicks and Cavs games unless shooting 50+% from 3, this frontcourt doesn't exist in the western conference.

There's no D with which you can win, if you're scoring 77 points.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,499

Post#69 » by Maverick41 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:02 pm

Something I've said before that worries me is that the team doesn't really have the luxury of taking their foot off the gas pedal like other good teams do. We got to play really hard even against bad teams to win because collectively the team just isn't that talented both offensively and defensively outside of Luka. The whole offense relies on Luka to play an MVP level every game and the defense to play playoff level intensity every game because of the lack of anyone that can resemble a lock down or great defender. Let's look at all of the other good team above us and their best defensive players (I might miss some):

Phoenix: Bridges & Ayton
Warriors: Draymond, Wiggins, Payton
Grizzlies: JJJ, Adams, Brooks, Melton
Jazz: Gobert, O'neal
Heat: Butler, Lowry, Bam
Bucks: Giannis, Middleton, Holiday
Philly: Embiid, Thybulle
Chicago: Lonzo, Caruso
Boston: Tatum, Jaylen, Smart, R. Williams

DFS is our best defender and I don't think he's better then any of the above. Sure I can see him having a case against Brooks, Melton and O'Neal but its probably more of a wash. Then if we take into consideration our 2nd best defender (take your pick between Maxi, Bullock and maybe Luka) and then we really should have no business being a top defense when you compare the other top teams 2nd or 3rd best defenders.

Just get worried that when playoff time comes and all teams start playing really hard, the advantage of outhustling will start to dissipate and the lack of talent, particularly defensively will start to show. Especially in the interior like it did this game.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#70 » by Bob8 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:21 am

I'm far more afraid about Mavs offense in playoffs than D. Mavs are only 17th in offensive rating. (Utah btw. is clear first.) We might believe that THJ was overrated, but he was volume scorer, which Bullock isn't. With better D played by opponents Brunson will most likely struggle too. We have only Luka and maybe Dinwiddie, who can score on constant basis. On the other hand this team isn't meant to do something more, so I guess they can play without pressure.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#71 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:01 pm

It doesn’t matter which team DAL plays against with. It all comes down to whether the 3 ball is falling or not.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#72 » by Archx » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:23 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:

It doesn’t matter which team DAL plays against with. It all comes down to whether the 3 ball is falling or not.

Yes and no. Mavs had completely different approach and energy vs Utah. They were sleepwalking against NYK in the 1st Q, Luka included, by the start of the 2nd Q, game basically ran away from them.
They played very lethargic against HOU aswell, but Rockets were simply bad by any standards and Powell was able to abuse them inside all night.

Return to Dallas Mavericks