Ex-GM Donnie Nelson sues Dallas Mavericks over cover up

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,426

Ex-GM Donnie Nelson sues Dallas Mavericks over cover up 

Post#1 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:48 pm

Former longtime Dallas Mavericks general manager Donnie Nelson sued the team Thursday, alleging that owner Mark Cuban fired him last summer as retaliation for reporting that Cuban's chief of staff sexually harassed and sexually assaulted his nephew during a job interview in 2020.

The lawsuit also alleges that Cuban offered Nelson, who was fired in June, $52 million to withdraw a wrongful termination claim and sign a confidentiality statement related to the alleged harassment and abuse of his nephew.

"Everything in that filing is a lie," Cuban wrote. "We did multiple complete investigations and the only person that did not live up to the standards of the Dallas Mavericks was Mr. Nelson. He was fired as a result. He was well aware of the investigation. He refused to fully participate. I will say it again, everything he said is a lie."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33527472/ex-gm-donnie-nelson-sues-dallas-mavericks-says-was-fired-reporting-sexual-misconduct-team-denies-claim
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Re: Ex-GM Donnie Nelson sues Dallas Mavericks over cover up 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:50 pm

Strong claims, if true, this could signal the end of Cuban as a team owner, Silver will declare war on him, if false (which I think it is), WTF is Donnie Nelson doing? He and his father have what? 30 years of service in the Mavericks org? became multi-millionaires because of it? WTF is this vindictive crap?
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#3 » by Captain_Obvious » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:27 pm

If this is true, thats it for Cuban

Actually if there is even an ounce of truth, Cuban used up all the goodwill and will be forced to sell
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#4 » by boogiezen » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:46 pm

Nasty stuff. Dirty. Disgusting.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#5 » by Archx » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:53 pm

Yeah just when you thought this team finally got back on track and doing something good, this happens. It's absolutely hillarious how people said that Luka fired GM and coach at the time.

I thought this was resolved, apparently it goes much deeper... And we learned last season we can't really trust what Cuban says anymore.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#6 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:59 pm

I hope this gets resolved quickly, the team doesn't need this distraction.
Nico Harrison is high profile corporate exec, and if things turn ugly he may bolt to save his reputation.
Luka also isn't your average star, he's going to be the face of the league, his agent and advisors may advise him to show Cuban the middle finger.
The longer this drags, the more risk this will carry.
I'm no legal expert, but Cuban must answer with defamation lawsuit to put pressure on Donnie to quit messing around.

Sent from my SM-N986B using RealGM mobile app
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#7 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:33 pm

What a mess. Bad timing.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#8 » by Apz » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:37 pm

Sounds weird. Did donie go the harden route and burn his money on strippers and already need some more money? Why havent we heard about it before? If it happened, and u are pissed enough about it so u turn down 52m, wouldnt u have rushed to the police? Or did he try to get 100m out of cuban for a few years?

Imo it all sounds fishy
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#9 » by leolozon » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:20 pm

I'm don't understand why the owner would go to such length to protect an employee.

One thing is for sure, I don't really trust Cuban. There's history.

It's weird that Cuban admitted that Nelson wasn't fired for basketball reasons, when we all assumed that it was the case. His plan was to sign back Nelson for 10 years before all this happened? What was Nelson incentive to create problems if it was all lies?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#10 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:26 pm

leolozon wrote:I'm don't understand why the owner would go to such length to protect an employee.

Lots of things don't make sense, Cuban protecting some guy, Donnie has his nephew sexually assaulted and still discussing a contract and continues employment.
Cuban MUST nip it in the bud, the sooner the better.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#11 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:24 pm

Dallas morning new gives more details

“The filing is full of lies and ridiculous,” Cuban wrote in an email to The Dallas Morning News. “The NBA is and was fully aware of our investigation into Mr. Nelson and his claims. They fully supported our conclusion that the only person to violate The Mavs and NBA policies was Mr. Nelson, and they were fully supportive of our decision to terminate Mr. Nelson.

The league is in the know about this.

“Allegations that were brought against Jason Lutin were promptly and thoroughly investigated by outside investigators and counsel. The NBA was immediately made aware of the allegations. The claims were determined to be fabricated and the matter was resolved.

Seems to me Donnie is being vindictive.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#12 » by boogiezen » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:11 am

Dallas Mavs made an investigation. What should I believe this in the first place? They don't have any credibility when this kind of behavior happened before not once but twice. Cuban is a liar.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#13 » by Apz » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:30 am

boogiezen wrote:Dallas Mavs made an investigation. What should I believe this in the first place? They don't have any credibility when this kind of behavior happened before not once but twice. Cuban is a liar.

Wish they forced people to stay in school til they atleast can read.

“Allegations that were brought against Jason Lutin were promptly and thoroughly investigated by outside investigators and counsel. The NBA was immediately made aware of the allegations. The claims were determined to be fabricated and the matter was resolved."

Nephew probably just wanted some easy money since the other thing that happened. Its the way of 2022 in US. Why work for money when u can steal them? Should be death by firing squad for incriminate someone that is innocent. Its imo worse then rape and murder.

Not saying this guy is actually innocent, but still stands, why are u blaming cuban and not the guy that actually did the thing? I swear, even if he wanted, cuban could only follow 1 guy around 24h/day to make sure he doesnt do anything stupid.

But well, I kinda hope u have a company some day, have an employee do something to another , and remember that in your opinion, u are the guilty. U realize how (Please Use More Appropriate Word) that is, right?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#14 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:00 am

KhalilS wrote:I hope this gets resolved quickly, the team doesn't need this distraction.
Nico Harrison is high profile corporate exec, and if things turn ugly he may bolt to save his reputation.
Luka also isn't your average star, he's going to be the face of the league, his agent and advisors may advise him to show Cuban the middle finger.
The longer this drags, the more risk this will carry.
I'm no legal expert, but Cuban must answer with defamation lawsuit to put pressure on Donnie to quit messing around.

Sent from my SM-N986B using RealGM mobile app

Dallas is a big market, if the NBA were to force Cuban to sell he likely gets banned from being around the team. The NBA would likely need Nico to keep the team good so that they could sell fast. Also with Luka on board and Dallas being a big market the line of billionaires wanting to buy the Mavs would start to left.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#15 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:05 am

$100M extortion scheme by Donnie? Well his dad is a drug dealer so it’s possible.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#16 » by daoneandonly » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:18 am

Mavs have looked terrible on the court since this new broke. Hopefully they get back tonight. Dont know what to believe here, Cuban is a snake without a doubt. But Donnie is an idiot and as unprofessional as they come. The guy went crying on draft night 2020 and no one could get ahold of him, he should have been fire don the spot for that.

Return to Dallas Mavericks