Luka injury

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Re: Luka injury 

Post#21 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:51 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Bob8 wrote:And we have members of forum, whose main concern is, how bad other writers are. I'm sure people here are ecstatic to have you to explain that to them.

Occasionally someone posts a stat I didn't know or has a good insight on the team or an opponent. The upcoming draft thread is a good example of this. Lots of insights into players there.

That's what I'd like to read. I think the Mavs can exploit X, Y, or Z vs the Jazz. Or the Jazz have struggled vs this or that.

Not "OMG!! How could we be so stupid. Everybody knew the Warriors were going to beat the Pelicans..." just bitching & moaning about things that already happened.

Seriously, who wants to read that?

In Luka injury thread?

This thread is by definition about what happened and guessing how serious it is. People being emotional about it is just natural, knowing that Mavs playoffs' season largely depends on how serious injury is.

Half a league has rested players in last round exactly to prevent what happened to Luka.

Chances for 3rd place were minimal, because Pelicans had nothing to play for and were resting players, Warriors on the other hand went 4:0 before that and were obviously very determine to win last game. You're right that nobody expected Luka to injured himself, but muscle injuries are always possible, especially if someone is used as Luka in last month. The only sure solution is rest. I'm sure that coaching staff had some discussion about that too before the game. Unfortunately they have decided wrong. And it's totally normal that fans debate about this decision, which might end Mavs season very soon.

I understand that you're not interested in hearing bitching & moaning, but maybe you should ask yourself if others are interested about your bitching & moaning about quality of the forum?
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#22 » by boogiezen » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:32 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
boogiezen wrote:Playing him in the second half after GSW already winning against the Pelicans...just stupidity. But hey I'm not even surprised. Basketball Gods are laughing at Mark Cuban.

This is the most results-oriented forum I can ever remember being a part of.

Every criticism comes after the fact.

Q: What's your opinion?

A: I don't know. Tell me what happened and then I'll Monday morning armchair quarterback the decision.

Frankly it gets really old.

It could have been prevented you know. Theo Pinson mentioned in his interview that they monitored the GSW-Pelicans game! When they saw the score that GSW was in control why did the coaching staff allowed Luka or the starters to play the entire third quarter? There's a reason why this team will never advance in the next round. The simplest things like this for example.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#23 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:35 am

Bob8,

I can understand being frustrated & no one is happy that Luka is injured. Although, from what I read, Luka has a Level 1 calf strain, which is the least serious. It usually requires 7 to 10 days of rest. Which means Luka would probably miss the first 2 games of the series. Hopefully that's as bad as it is. If Mavs can split the first 2 games, and get a healthy Luka back for the remainder of the series, then they're still a big favorite.

The 3 seed pursuit is important imho. The Mavs have favorable matchups vs the Grizzlies. They won all 3 games vs MEM this year when Luka played. They just seem to do very well vs Memphis.

Not so vs PHX. In fact, the Suns have given the Mavs the business for some time now. Making it to the 3 seed meant facing Memphis in the 2nd round and not Phoenix. That was important. Even if there was only a 1% chance of it happening, you pursue it because if the Mavs were the 3 seed, then a lot of people would be picking them to go to the WCF & that's a big deal.

Obviously, everything is predicated on Luka's health. So, let's all send up a few prayers for our Slovenian friend :)
Bob8
General Manager

Post#24 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:26 am

Where have you heard that is grade 1? I couldn't find a single reliable source with any kind of information about how serious injury is. Paradoxically it would have been probably better for Mavs, if they had finished 5th. They aren't winning this series with 0:2 and 2 away games in Utah.

I agree with 3rd seed being important, unfortunately Warriors have made unlikely 5:0. Nothing to be done about that. About last game, with low probability of Pelicans' win, Mavs could have easily played without Luka and still have solid chances to win against not invested Spurs.

I agree, it is what it is, we can only hope now.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,392

Post#25 » by Mavrelous » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:50 am

We won't hear anything, rest assured.
If Luka is fine for game 2 or game 3, Mavs won't tip off their hand to the Jazz so that they can plan accordingly and lose the element of surprise.
If Luka is out for the PO, Mavs won't tell the players to keep the fight in them (like Clippers did with Kawhi last year).
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager

Post#26 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:03 pm

KhalilS wrote:We won't hear anything, rest assured.
If Luka is fine for game 2 or game 3, Mavs won't tip off their hand to the Jazz so that they can plan accordingly and lose the element of surprise.
If Luka is out for the PO, Mavs won't tell the players to keep the fight in them (like Clippers did with Kawhi last year).

I would have been much more optimistic, if he had ankle injury. Those muscle strains, when you have to stop activity immediately, are 10 days if you're very lucky. Few days only is, if you feel pain after activity, not during. I hope I'm wrong and is really something minor, but it doesn't look good.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,816

Post#27 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:24 pm

arkuo wrote:IF Luka is out for the Jazz series, then it's a great time to see if Brunson is indeed worth $80M. If he can carry the same offense (being a Luka -Lite type of player) and win a couple of playoff games without Luka, then he's good for it IMO.

That.

Our guys have to step up, Brunson first...
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#28 » by leolozon » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:15 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
leolozon wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
This is the most results-oriented forum I can ever remember being a part of.

Every criticism comes after the fact.

Q: What's your opinion?

A: I don't know. Tell me what happened and then I'll Monday morning armchair quarterback the decision.

Frankly it gets really old.

While no one could have predicted the injury, it was easy to predict that the Warriors were going to win and that playing the starters in the third was pointless .

Most teams who had nothing to play for sat their stars... Are you saying they were result oriented? Or maybe they were just thinking logically about risk vs reward, something the Mavs' coaching crew failed to do.

I'm pretty sure many people thought that Luka should have sat in the second half.

If it was easy to predict the Warriors were going to win, why didn't you cash out your life savings and bet it all on the Money Line for Golden State?

It might have been easy to predict that the Mavs were going to beat Washington, but had you cashed out your life savings and bet it all on the Mavs' Money Line, you'd be broke as a joke right now.

That's the definition of results-oriented. Speaking so confidently after the fact, when it's easy to do so. That's the only reason you're talking with such confidence about the Warriors beating the Pelicans, because they already have; and because Luka got injured. If he hadn't gotten injured, you wouldn't have said anything about it.

You're being reactionary. The opinions on this forum lack consistency. They mirror the results. It's annoying.

1- I don't gamble.
2- I'm not talking before the game, I'm talking at the half. The odds of the Pels winning must have been 1% or less.
3- Can you even bet on a game at the half?

Maybe you misread my post: "playing the starters in the 3rd."

And like I said :

"Most teams who had nothing to play for sat their stars... Are you saying they were result oriented? Or maybe they were just thinking logically about risk vs reward."

Understanding risk vs reward isn't being result-oriented.

I'm essentially saying that pushing all-in with AA vs 7-2 isn't worth it if they put 1$ on the table and you put 100$. That's not being result oriented, that's understanding what you can win and what you can lose.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#29 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:17 am

leolozon wrote:1- I don't gamble.
2- I'm not talking before the game, I'm talking at the half. The odds of the Pels winning must have been 1% or less.

And like I said :

"Most teams who had nothing to play for sat their stars... Are you saying they were result oriented? Or maybe they were just thinking logically about risk vs reward."

I'm essentially saying that pushing all-in with AA vs 7-2 isn't worth it if they put 1$ on the table and you put 100$. That's not being result oriented, that's understanding what you can win and what you can lose.

Ok now you're speaking my language. AA vs 7-2o is a decent analogy, so I understand where you're coming from now.

Fwiw, in a poker game if your opponent only has $1 left in chips, then you can only call their $1. Not bet $99 on top. Unless, there are more players left to act in the hand. Still, I understand what you're saying.

I see it like this. I'm the chip leader at the final table of a poker tournament. Short stack moves all in on my big blind. I already have T$200 invested in the hand & it's only T$300 more for me to call. Less than 1% of my total chip stack. Just me & the short stack, I call T$300 with the chance to knock the short stack out of the tournament. I don't even need to look down at my cards. Insta call.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#30 » by leolozon » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:39 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
leolozon wrote:1- I don't gamble.

And like I said :

Ok now you're speaking my language. AA vs 7-2o is a decent analogy, so I understand where you're coming from now.

Fwiw, in a poker game if your opponent only has $1 left in chips, then you can only call their $1. Not bet $99 on top. Unless, there are more players left to act in the hand. Still, I understand what you're saying.

I see it like this. I'm the chip leader at the final table of a poker tournament. Short stack moves all in on my big blind. I already have T$200 invested in the hand & it's only T$300 more for me to call. Less than 1% of my total chip stack. Just me & the short stack, I call T$300 with the chance to knock the short stack out of the tournament. I don't even need to look down at my cards. Insta call.

:lol:

For sure if you are the chip leader and the odds are decent. But I think we are going too far in the analogy. I loved poker and was able to make money out of it, but I wasn't enough of a gambler. It was just preying on the weak for me. :)

Anyway, what is done is done. I just hope that the coaching staff learns that, when you are 99% sure that you won't move up, just take the starters out. It's not worth it at that point. What happens completely took the joy out of the start of the playoffs.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#31 » by Mavrelous » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:01 am

Bob8 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:We won't hear anything, rest assured.

I would have been much more optimistic, if he had ankle injury. Those muscle strains, when you have to stop activity immediately, are 10 days if you're very lucky. Few days only is, if you feel pain after activity, not during. I hope I'm wrong and is really something minor, but it doesn't look good.

I've had calf strain, after one night of sleep it was fine, but it was fine for regular day 2 day activities not intense sports, so I have no clue, groin strain is much more worrisome, it keeps coming back for months unexpected.
We'll know more Wednesday, if he's still for game 3, he's probably done.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#32 » by Mavrelous » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:55 am

Gambling and TV scheduling are assuming Luka missing games 1 and 2, and probabely 3.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:11 pm

KhalilS wrote:Gambling and TV scheduling are assuming Luka missing games 1 and 2, and probabely 3.

This is a realistic scenario... Win 1 of first 3 games could be good anyway.

Then , with Luka, we are able to win the serie.

I prefer that than risk Luka.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#34 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:53 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Gambling and TV scheduling are assuming Luka missing games 1 and 2, and probabely 3.

Indeed, we cant afford to further that injury.

I know people are upset, as am i, but finger pointing isnt going to resolve anything. Just like me complaining about getting Bertans, its done, cant do anything about it, so best thing is just to move on and hope for the best. We can easily say this all could have been avoided if the team showed up in either of the Knicks or Wizards games, or the Orl game, then no starter had to play in SA. They lost so many games they should not have, many of which Luka played, so it is what it is.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:59 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Indeed, we cant afford to further that injury.

I know people are upset, as am i, but finger pointing isnt going to resolve anything. Just like me complaining about getting Bertans, its done, cant do anything about it, so best thing is just to move on and hope for the best. We can easily say this all could have been avoided if the team showed up in either of the Knicks or Wizards games, or the Orl game, then no starter had to play in SA. They lost so many games they should not have, many of which Luka played, so it is what it is.

Good post my friend :nod:

By the way... Bertans will win for us at least 2games, hope someone will step up for the others...
Bob8
General Manager

Post#36 » by Bob8 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=jLLnutGHOdlgKs5d-gKtRA

Doesn't mean much, but I guess it's better than Luka eating at Mcdonald's.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#37 » by Bob8 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:13 pm

Listening to Kidd every day, how Luka is in a good mood, is becoming annoying.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#38 » by Mavrelous » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:15 am

It's social media era, you gotta provide quotes.
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#39 » by Absinthe » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:44 pm

If the Mavs go down 2-0, I wouldn’t play him the entire series. It’s simply not worth jeopardizing him sustaining an even worse injury. If his calf is weakened he could tear his ACL because of the strain. It’s just bad luck and it’s not worth the risk.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#40 » by Bob8 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:26 am

Absinthe wrote:If the Mavs go down 2-0, I wouldn’t play him the entire series. It’s simply not worth jeopardizing him sustaining an even worse injury. If his calf is weakened he could tear his ACL because of the strain. It’s just bad luck and it’s not worth the risk.

I'm afraid that Luka will not be ready for game 3 and 4 no matter what result is.

Return to Dallas Mavericks