ImageImageImage

What does Bobby Portis want

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,180

What does Bobby Portis want 

Post#1 » by dygaction » Sun May 8, 2022 8:45 am

He is a career 38.3% 3pt shooter, good PF/C, and only 27 years old. Next year he has a player option @ 4.56M.
If Bucks fail to make the finals, would he be interested in a mini-MLE ~20M/3yr where he can start for Mavs and get >35mpg? There could be other higher bidders if he wants to go for more money.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Re: What does Bobby Portis want 

Post#2 » by Darren » Sun May 8, 2022 10:49 am

I want Hartenstein instead. Portis is more one-dimensioned. I think the Mavs are better off finding somebody off rookie deal with great athleticism but less suitor. I think some teams benefit a lot from this kind of contributor. For example, GSW gets Payton; LAL gets Monk for really low price high reward type of contract. As there're not much teams under the cap next season, I think the Mavs could take time looking at underrated players after fixing the PG/backup PG role first. Just look for trade partner first; then draft prospect; and low dollar FA.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#3 » by Darren » Sun May 8, 2022 10:54 am

I think for the big coming in, there're some requirements:
1. Intelligence, smart in switch and cut
2. Great foot speed with good vision / awareness
3. Good defense (jump, block out, block shots)
4. Fair potential as a shooter
5. Good intangible (work ethics and competitive spirit

As the Mavs only has 26th pick, if there's no trade partner available. I think the Mavs will choose someone like Walker Klesser. Klesser remains me of Cole Adrich and Enes Kanter with a little better shot blocking. Actually, not bad for 26th pick. Of course, there's always some draftees fall in draft board. Maybe the Mavs could get a better Boban who can actually play against random teams in Klesser. Klesser seems smart and offers the skills that the Mavs are really need (shot blocking, rebounding, setting screen).
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Sun May 8, 2022 11:55 pm

Considering the impact Bobby has had on Milwaukee I would no question give him $10 million or more per season. He produces on offense, he rebounds, and he bullies his opponent. That's all I ask for!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#5 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun May 15, 2022 10:43 pm

Klesser may not fall to us and that would be my pick if he was available.

He is a guy that does all the dirty work well blocking shots and rebounding and playing D.

I hope we do something to buy a high 2nd round pick as well. I would add 2 centers if possible then it puts pressure on them to do things the right way.

EJ Lidell also could be nice to snag. Koloko reminds me of mutumbo and that kind of center is no longer used in the game so I would pass and if Kessler was gone I would look at Kamagate closer. I would possibly try to get Orlando Robinson and he could be available later in the draft or even as an undrafted free agent but if we could get Kessler at 26 and buy a 2nd rounder to snag someone like Orlando we could use Kessler at the 5 and Orlando as a 4 since he shoots 35% from 3. Portis would have to be a guy that wants to come to us to win and he has already won it all with MIL so I see his desire focusing in on getting paid this go round.

There are a few players with hard to remember names from senegal worth looking at. One is a freak athlete for sure and maybe the steal of the draft.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,499

Post#6 » by Maverick41 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:20 pm

I think Portis should be able to get a full MLE deal somewhere. But if he were willing to go for the tax payer MLE, absolutely.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#7 » by Michaellam1987 » Mon May 16, 2022 2:19 am

Honestly, I think he can get even more than the full MLE deal from some teams, and he will want to earn his money, after he settles for consecutive discount contract in MIL, and most importantly he already got his ring, so I believe he should chase for money in this coming offseason.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#8 » by ejs78 » Mon May 16, 2022 3:40 am

Darren wrote:I want Hartenstein instead. Portis is more one-dimensioned. I think the Mavs are better off finding somebody off rookie deal with great athleticism but less suitor. I think some teams benefit a lot from this kind of contributor. For example, GSW gets Payton; LAL gets Monk for really low price high reward type of contract. As there're not much teams under the cap next season, I think the Mavs could take time looking at underrated players after fixing the PG/backup PG role first. Just look for trade partner first; then draft prospect; and low dollar FA.
Hartenstein would be such a sneaky add.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#9 » by will » Mon May 16, 2022 4:16 pm

I believe that Milwaukee messed up by going back to Brook Lopez for the playoffs. Portis was such a great fit playing huge minutes.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#10 » by arkuo » Mon May 16, 2022 7:22 pm

ejs78 wrote:
Darren wrote:I want Hartenstein instead. Portis is more one-dimensioned. I think the Mavs are better off finding somebody off rookie deal with great athleticism but less suitor. I think some teams benefit a lot from this kind of contributor. For example, GSW gets Payton; LAL gets Monk for really low price high reward type of contract. As there're not much teams under the cap next season, I think the Mavs could take time looking at underrated players after fixing the PG/backup PG role first. Just look for trade partner first; then draft prospect; and low dollar FA.
Hartenstein would be such a sneaky add.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Agreed. Hartenstein looks like a legit 7 foot version of Dwight Powell. And at 24 years old and only costing the minimum, he should be a good add.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,180

Post#11 » by dygaction » Mon May 16, 2022 7:43 pm

If Mavs can steal Portis for $20M/3yr mini-MLE; Workout a sign and trade with Knicks Mitchell Robinson for Powell/Josh Green/1st; add Dragic for Vet Min; and re-sign JB at $100M/4yr, would that make them title favorite next year?

Luka/Dinwiddie/Ntilikina
Brunson/THJ/Dragic
DFS/Bullock/Sterling
Portis/Maxi/Bertans
Mitchell Robinson/Chriss/Boban

The problem is the salary will be well above luxury tax limit at ~$185M/yr, and likely the $10M TPE will be left expire. Robinson would be the only center to get meaningful time as the three PFs can all run small ball C. THJ/Bertans/Brown/Chriss/Boban are expendable for upgrade.

Return to Dallas Mavericks