ImageImageImage

Playoffs - WC Finals - G1 - Mavs @ Warriors (Wed. 9 PM ET)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,059

Playoffs - WC Finals - G1 - Mavs @ Warriors (Wed. 9 PM ET) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Mon May 16, 2022 5:36 pm

Mavs are big underdogs again. Warriors are the favorites to win the title.As long as Maxi, DFS and Bullock keep shooting well enough, anything is possible.

A series Preview below by Anthony Slater, a senior writer covering the Golden State Warriors for The Athletic.

Biggest Warriors question: How do they guard Dončić?

Spoiler:
The Warriors have generally operated under the defensive belief that it’s better to cut off the others rather than overload against a singular talent. That’s the tactic they took when plotting out the first two rounds. They allowed Nikola Jokić one-on-one post-ups while cutting off his passing lanes. Then they backed off Ja Morant, packed the paint, let him take jumpers and stayed home on shooters like Desmond Bane.

Jokić averaged 31.0 points during the five-game series. Morant averaged 38.3 in his three games. But the Warriors went 6-2 against them and seemed generally satisfied with their defensive process and results. That’s the expected strategy against Dončić to open the conference finals: make him a scorer, don’t double-team, limit the others.

But there’s a difference between making Dončić beat you as a scorer and allowing him to do whatever he wants. If the Warriors soft switch everything and stay home on shooters, he will spend the entire game dragging Curry or Poole into high screen action and playing bully ball to get where he wants. Keeping Poole on the floor is crucial in this series. The Warriors can’t let him get relentlessly hunted without mixing up coverages.

Every Dwight Powell minute is probably a favor to the Warriors. Powell is the Mavericks’ starting center. He is a high-energy dive man and lob threat. But because he doesn’t pick and pop and because the Warriors don’t fear Dončić as a lethal deep-range shooter, they’re comfortable playing drop coverage against Dončić when Powell is on the floor.

Wiggins will be the primary Dončić defender. Wiggins has had a terrific run in the playoffs. He is quietly becoming one of the better individual wing defenders around. In the four Dallas matchups this season, Wiggins spent the bulk of each game guarding Dončić. For a full compilation of his work against Dončić, click here.

Dončić had some success against Wiggins. He made 47 percent of his shots. But Wiggins made almost everything at least relatively difficult and caused a few turnovers. This is the type of defensive possession the Warriors crave in this series. Powell sets a screen, Kevon Looney is in drop coverage, Wiggins trails, gets back in the play and uses a long arm contest to force a miss.

Slight problem for the Warriors: Powell starts, but he doesn’t play a ton. In the seven games against Phoenix, he only received 94 total minutes. Maxi Kleber, his backup, played 191 minutes. That’s because Kleber is a stretch big whose jumper is scorching. He is 29-of-49 from 3 in these playoffs. It’s more difficult to run that drop coverage when you have to protect against the pick and pop instead of the lob.

Looney will probably start and match up with Powell, but this series profiles as small-ball heaven. That means Green against Kleber at the center spot or even some Dallas lineups that don’t include Powell or Kleber.

Biggest Mavericks question: How well will they stop the Warriors?

Spoiler:
The Suns were an offensive machine. They just scored 27 first-half points and watched their season end in blowout fashion on their home floor. Dončić was the offensive hero. But it was Dallas’ collective defensive effort that strangled Phoenix’s dream season.

The Mavericks finished with a 109.1 defensive rating this season, seventh stingiest in the NBA. Once the calendar turned to 2022, they were fourth-best. There were patches of the season where they were the best.

That’s the Jason Kidd impact. The season before, under Rick Carlisle, the Mavericks finished with the 21st ranked defense. Kidd arrived, and the defensive culture appears to have shifted. The trade of Kristaps Porziņģis helped. So did Kidd’s lineup choices and the internal player development. Finney-Smith is an excellent defensive wing. Bullock is above average.

The Mavericks aren’t without defensive warts. Brunson, a high-minutes guard, is small. Dāvis Bertāns will be targeted every minute he’s on the floor. Dinwiddie has decent size but has never been a plus defender. Dončić can be exploited if he is either fatigued or disengaged.

The Suns spent the entire fourth quarter of a Game 2 blowout win picking on Dončić. The Warriors will try to do the same, believing the more actions he must guard, the less energy he will have on the offensive end.

But Kidd challenged Dončić after that Game 2 loss where his turnstile defense became the off-day talking point, saying he needed to be an active participant. Dončić revved it up better in the five games after, and the Mavericks went 4-1 to stun the Suns. They had a defensive rating of 104.1 in those five games.

The Warriors can be explosive offensively, but they can also go cold. They’re currently trying to settle down an exploding turnover problem, having committed 41 the past two games against the Grizzlies and 16 or more in every game of that series.

Dallas isn’t Memphis, from a disruptive standpoint. Nobody is. The Grizzlies forced the most turnovers in the NBA this season, 16.3 per. The Mavericks forced the seventh-fewest, 13.1 per.

But the Warriors still had trouble scoring against Dallas in three of their four games this season. In one loss, they had a season-low 82 points, going 5-of-28 from 3 and turning the ball over 17 times. If the Mavericks win this series, they’ll do it on the defensive end.
60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Re: Playoffs - WC Finals - G1 - Mavs @ Warriors (Wed. 9 PM ET) 

Post#2 » by fuller4379 » Mon May 16, 2022 6:21 pm

I have no idea how this series will go. The Warriors have seemed to get healthy just in time for the post season. The Mavs just finished a hard fought seven game series. Kidd has had the answers so far. After losing to the Suns the last 9 times the Mavs faced them, the Mavs were able to beat the Suns in a seven game series. April 2016 was the last time the Mavericks won a game in Utah prior to take two from them in the playoffs. Of course he playoffs is a different animal than the regular season. Coaching becomes more important because you have multiple game to make adjustments. I am going to enjoy watching this series. The first time we have had a deep playoff run since 2011.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#3 » by arkuo » Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 pm

Warriors will have a hard time guarding Luka. My bet is still with Mavs in 7.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#4 » by arkuo » Mon May 16, 2022 6:31 pm

Assuming Draymond will stick to Luka, Bertans is due for a big game for at least 1 game this series.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#5 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon May 16, 2022 7:05 pm

Must win for Dirk.

The laser will win 2 games for us in the series ... Will this be the first one?
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,978

Post#6 » by Archx » Mon May 16, 2022 7:48 pm

I didn't believe they can beat the Jazz and then i said if they win against Suns, Mavs could actually go all the way. So what the hell... i don't know anymore :lol: Anything is possible with their defense and the way Brunson and Dinwiddie are playing. Should be interesting.
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#7 » by Absinthe » Tue May 17, 2022 1:29 am

If the Mavs can keep up their defensive intensity I think they can win the series. But I need to see Kidd’s defensive strategy first. Golden State has a lot of shooters but if the Warriors go small I think that plays into Dallas’ defensive strengths. DFS and Bullock will be vital.

In the Suns series I said that the series would come down to three point shooting. The Mavs ended up winning because they were hitting more open threes. I feel like this will be the case with this series too.

A lot of people have speculated that they’ll put Green on Luka. I think that will be a huge mistake by Kerr, especially if he stays in foul trouble.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#8 » by cmavswin » Tue May 17, 2022 2:51 am

Defense wins championship if the Mavs can keep playing it they can pull this off. Doncic needs to be a nightmare and so does Brunson and dimwiddie. Should be a fun series and I am going to be a optimist and say Mavs in 6.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,499

Post#9 » by Maverick41 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:08 am

If GS plans to do single coverage as indicated in the OP, both Luka and JB (and Spencer) need to be able to hit their 3s at a high rate since GS will be trying to not switch. On his pod, Draymond indicated himself that the Suns downfall was constantly switching so I expect him to try and fight through those screens. The open 3s for the ball handler will be there, just got to hit them.
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#10 » by Absinthe » Tue May 17, 2022 3:16 am

Maverick41 wrote:If GS plans to do single coverage as indicated in the OP, both Luka and JB (and Spencer) need to be able to hit their 3s at a high rate since GS will be trying to not switch. On his pod, Draymond indicated himself that the Suns downfall was constantly switching so I expect him to try and fight through those screens. The open 3s for the ball handler will be there, just got to hit them.

The single coverage plan falls to pieces if anyone on GS gets into foul trouble. Particularly Green.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#11 » by Maverick41 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:26 am

Absinthe wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:If GS plans to do single coverage as indicated in the OP, both Luka and JB (and Spencer) need to be able to hit their 3s at a high rate since GS will be trying to not switch. On his pod, Draymond indicated himself that the Suns downfall was constantly switching so I expect him to try and fight through those screens. The open 3s for the ball handler will be there, just got to hit them.

The single coverage plan falls to pieces if anyone on GS gets into foul trouble. Particularly Green.

If our guards can get Draymond in foul trouble, that would be huge since their defense heavily revolves around him and his communication and versatility. Watching many GS games though, he tends to get away with A LOT though so I wouldn't count on it. Luka's composure will really be tested in this series.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#12 » by Michaellam1987 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:34 am

Honestly, I like our chance against GSW. Bullock/DFS has playing out of their minds defensively right now, after seeing how they handled Paul/Booker, I am confident that they can do the same thing to Curry/Thompson to keep them on check. The point is Brunson/Luka need to hold their owns defensively against Poole/Wiggins, while Kleber/Powell need to give us more on offensively and rebounding in the C position. Let's go and steal G1!
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#13 » by leolozon » Tue May 17, 2022 2:15 pm

No chance that we see THJ back in the playoffs on the bench, right? And would it even be a good idea to give him the Ntikilina minutes?

He was doing light practice back in March. I get the feeling that he would be ready, but at this point, he's been off so long, that they don't want to put him back in such a tough situation.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#14 » by agentofatlas » Tue May 17, 2022 3:57 pm

DFS and Bullock will be key here. They need to make their shots. Also Spencer needs to keep attacking and draw fouls especially if Poole is on the floor.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#15 » by Apz » Wed May 18, 2022 4:51 am

I like or chances, but we will see. If curry and klay catches fire it could be 0-4. IF mavs catch fire it could be 4-0. Need good defense on curry and klay. Powell 0 min makes them unable to play looney and they get 0 rebounds
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#16 » by Maverick41 » Wed May 18, 2022 5:05 am

Force them off the 3 and let them try and beat us in the midrange. That was our gameplan vs the Jazz and against a majority of teams in 2022. Warriors currently shoot 38 3 pt attempts per game in the playoffs. If we can get that to 30, I think we got a good shot as it likely means the game is slower-paced and we're limiting their greatest weapon.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,246

Post#17 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:04 pm

Like most, I have no clue how this series will be played. I think the path to victory is slowing down the game and forcing turnovers. That will give them fewer shots making it hard for them to get a rhythm and it will render players like Thompson and Poole useless because they won't score much and they are not great defenders.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#18 » by ejs78 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=wpYHHTwKGc_lsIRO3yigmQ&s=19

Just gotta say bring Pinson back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#19 » by Apz » Wed May 18, 2022 10:12 pm

Think cuban got 1 huge smile on his face paying that
Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man
And1: 2,104

Post#20 » by Ni Da Ye » Wed May 18, 2022 11:02 pm

GSW will destroy our beloved Mavs in Q3. A 25 devastating loss to start the series.
IQ_baller wrote:MJ never played against quality teams in the finals

IQ_baller wrote:Replace MJ with Jimmy and Bulls win the same amount of rings

Realgm quality posts, ladies and gentlemen.

Return to Dallas Mavericks