ImageImageImage

RS 22/23 - Mavs @ Hawks (Sund, 6PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Re: RS 22/23 - Mavs @ Hawks (Sund, 6PM EST) 

Post#81 » by SOUNDCHASER » Mon Apr 3, 2023 7:20 am

just checked Gregory out on videos and saw that he is only 18 so yeah he could have some extreme upside imagine if he was to have a growth spurt that makes him 6'10" or bigger then I would see a young Giannis as a good comparison. His game is interesting and I liked what I saw and if he is there at our pick I would prefer him to trading down to add Turner plus a lower pick.

He and Wood on the floor at the same time would give us a dual threat that would look very interesting and if you play both with a real center out there as well using one at SF then that would be even more interesting considering that would give you a level of scoring from every position that would create major problems for every team in the league.

I also would try to snag Zach Edey in the 2nd still just to give us another look. Plus I always enjoyed it when we had Boban but I want to see someone with a Boban like game who has more speed and athleticism and I think Zach Edey is just fast enough to be worth that gamble.

In the videos I have seen he seems to move a lot more fluid than a guy who is considered to slow and unathletic.

His over 40 per and 25 ppg scoring with per 36 minute numbers as is shown at tankathon is impressive and if you have a guy like that at center that gives us a lot more defensive security playing Irving and Luka focusing on their offensive game and very little on D.

I think Luka is starting to show he can play defense and will end up being fine at that part of the game. I am sure that Irving is able to use his speed to help stop waterbugs if he sees the need to expend energy on that end of the floor but with those 2's scoring ability that is where you try to use them so the main thing we need to find this offseason is a big SF/PF / small ball center and then draft a real center with size that can bang on the other real bigs in the league.

If we can add that I would be happy. Luka has to be happy if we add a couple of bigs like that.

In free agency I would still look to add some guys that can play both those 2 positions as well since they may take a while to fit in and we can take the pressure off them to come in and perform right away. Bigs take time to develop so add some help with some vets and the team can manage that risk while the rookies grow into their game.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,434

Post#82 » by Maverick41 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 9:18 am

Watched a replay of the game and I gotta say Luka's played some of the best D he has ever played down the stretch in the 4th and OT. Just wish he could put this kind of effort more often on that end.

Will keep saying it, we need a guy or 2 that isn't afraid to hold him accountable on that end. Its good for the team and good for his development.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,605

Post#83 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 3, 2023 10:22 am

It's absolutely horrible watching these games, needing the L and seeing players try hard. And somehow still failing to win (huge relief).

It's kind of insane that Kidd now finally gave some leash to Wood and gave the guy and McGee a chance and the Mavs looked semi competent out there.

Anyway, for the love of everything that is precious... just throw the remaining games. There is no upside to playing Luka in these games other than injury. Or Kyrie for that matter. What decisions you need to make on the guy, you already know what to do.

It'd be ridiculous to win a game or two and hurt your chances --- seeing McGee play his heart out... made me wonder... "Imagine how I'd feel if a few years from now, the 11th pick gave the Knicks a nice player... and then I looked back at this game".

ejs78 wrote:Why did Luka take that foul?

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

I also wondered.... so you prefer to take a foul, rather than being assured of having time on the clock to shoot yourself?

Also... wtf is this...

I am sure other teams also have bad plays at the end of games/to finish quarters, but it's crazy how many games you remember where they had horrible plays or couldn't even inbound.

This surely can't be a foul. Young is out of control and he's the one who contacts Kyrie who was just playing the ball.

Spoiler:

Young can't even score on Luka, he's really fallen off a cliff.

Spoiler:
60/21/10
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 686

Post#84 » by kacey ring » Mon Apr 3, 2023 10:40 am

Absinthe wrote:Dallas should just throw the towel in. They’ve won one close game since the All Star game. They’ve probably lost at least seven games by four points or less, probably more. Shot over 50% from the field this game and still lost. Shot over 60% against Miami and still lost.

Correct. Mavs are 2-7 in games that end +/- 4 points since ASB. 12-14 overall for the year.

This team has just played in wayyy too many close games this year. So many tough losses this year, but no need to cry over spilled milk.

We need more lottery balls now.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#85 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 3, 2023 11:39 am

Dirk wrote:It's absolutely horrible watching these games, needing the L and seeing players try hard. And somehow still failing to win (huge relief).

It's kind of insane that Kidd now finally gave some leash to Wood and gave the guy and McGee a chance and the Mavs looked semi competent out there.

Anyway, for the love of everything that is precious... just throw the remaining games. There is no upside to playing Luka in these games other than injury. Or Kyrie for that matter. What decisions you need to make on the guy, you already know what to do.

It'd be ridiculous to win a game or two and hurt your chances --- seeing McGee play his heart out... made me wonder... "Imagine how I'd feel if a few years from now, the 11th pick gave the Knicks a nice player... and then I looked back at this game".

ejs78 wrote:Why did Luka take that foul?

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

I also wondered.... so you prefer to take a foul, rather than being assured of having time on the clock to shoot yourself?

Also... wtf is this...

I am sure other teams also have bad plays at the end of games/to finish quarters, but it's crazy how many games you remember where they had horrible plays or couldn't even inbound.

This surely can't be a foul. Young is out of control and he's the one who contacts Kyrie who was just playing the ball.

Spoiler:

Young can't even score on Luka, he's really fallen off a cliff.

Spoiler:

I wholeheartedly agree Dirk. My only concern is the Mavs luck (or lack thereof) in the lottery. Is there a chance we miss out and then drop to #11 or something and cough the pick up to the Knicks?
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,771

Post#86 » by Archx » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:07 pm

Dirk wrote:It's kind of insane that Kidd now finally gave some leash to Wood and gave the guy and McGee a chance and the Mavs looked semi competent out there.

Kidd was so happy that he finally figured out what works. So he played McGee for 23 minutes straight. I think that is the longest stretch of minutes McGee has ever played in his entire career. Right?

Imagine if he tried McGee/Wood combo vs Hornets already... or maybe vs Miami when Cody Zeller almost turned into prime Dirk.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#87 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:20 pm

Archx wrote:
Dirk wrote:It's kind of insane that Kidd now finally gave some leash to Wood and gave the guy and McGee a chance and the Mavs looked semi competent out there.

Kidd was so happy that he finally figured out what works. So he played McGee for 23 minutes straight. I think that is the longest stretch of minutes McGee has ever played in his entire career. Right?

Imagine if he tried McGee/Wood combo vs Hornets already... or maybe vs Miami when Cody Zeller almost turned into prime Dirk.

What was shocking was Wood staying on the court after he had a turnover or a miss. He was still out there after the timeouts. I couldn't believe my eyes.

The team did look better overall when they had Green-Wood-McGee.

It's all difficult to digest though. They clearly should have beaten these two teams and still lost and at this point, these games are kind of pointless and only have the potential of hurting the short term chances of improving the roster.
60/21/10
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,771

Post#88 » by Archx » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:25 pm

Dirk wrote:
Archx wrote:

What was shocking was Wood staying on the court after he had a turnover or a miss. He was still out there after the timeouts. I couldn't believe my eyes.

It's all difficult to digest though. They clearly should have beaten these two teams and still lost and at this point, these games are kind of pointless and only have the potential of hurting the short term chances of improving the roster.

Hehe, yeah.

On Green, he was a lot better in this game. I think someone talked to him and told him to just be himself and not worry about what others are doing.

(Correct me if i am wrong) but...

...i was reading that Mavs will have only 75-80% chance to retain top10 pick, even if they tank. I like those odds but then again, it's Mavs, it feels like everything goes wrong for this franchise in the last couple of years. :(
Obviously retaining that top10 pick and maybe trade it in a great package would be ideal... i guess.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#89 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:33 pm

Dirk wrote:
Archx wrote:

Happy to see Kidd after 80games plays with 5 guys on their favourite positions :o
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,042

Post#90 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:37 pm

The McGee Wood lineup looking semi competent just shows how dire the rebounding problems are, they were last year also, but unlike last year, Mavs added 2 layers of difficulty, turnstile defense and inability to execute down the stretch, 2 areas where they were good at last year.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#91 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:46 pm

Archx wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Archx wrote:

Hehe, yeah.

On Green, he was a lot better in this game. I think someone talked to him and told him to just be himself and not worry about what others are doing.

(Correct me if i am wrong) but...

...i was reading that Mavs will have only 75-80% chance to retain top10 pick, even if they tank. I like those odds but then again, it's Mavs, it feels like everything goes wrong for this franchise in the last couple of years. :(
Obviously retaining that top10 pick and maybe trade it in a great package would be ideal... i guess.

I think it's around 96% if they finish 9th worst. 80% if they finish 10th.

This was a write up that sums up the different options going forward:

The other impact of Dallas’ skid, however, is that it alters some of the thinking about the upcoming draft. Dallas owes a 2023 first-round pick to the New York Knicks, but that pick is top-10 protected. The presumption all season has been that there’s no way the Mavs keep the pick this year, but all of a sudden, that’s not so sure. Dallas has the league’s 10th-worst record at the moment.

In any scenario where Dallas misses the playoffs, however, multiple variables could still impact what happens with the pick. For instance, it’s possible Dallas finishes with, say, the 12th-worst record but still ends up keeping the pick by lucking into a top-four pick at the lottery. Conversely, it’s possible the Mavs could lose the pick despite having a bottom-10 record if one or more of the teams in the 11 through 14 spots moves up in the lottery and pushes everybody down a spot.

There is also the hilarious possibility of a tiebreaker knocking the Mavs out of the Play-In but a lost coin flip with the same team also handing a lottery pick to New York. For instance, if the Mavs tied with Oklahoma City for 10th in the West, the Thunder would win the tiebreak. However, provided the Thunder lost in the Play-In round, there would also be a coin flip between Dallas and Oklahoma City for which team had the higher pick in the draft. Suppose that tie was for the 10th-worst record overall. The Thunder could conceivably win that coin toss, push Dallas down to 11th on the draft board and off goes the pick to New York.

Two of these scenarios are notable but not quite as interesting. If Dallas conveys the pick to New York, it’s a bonus for the Knicks that it’s higher than expected, but life goes on. If the Mavs somehow luck into the top pick, they’re keeping it and trying to put another younger star around Luka Dončić.

The most interesting scenario, by far, is if Dallas ends up somewhere between second and 10th, unexpectedly keeping the pick this year. That would also prevent Dallas from trading its firsts in 2024, 2025 and 2026 because of the Stepien Rule; however, the Mavs could try to gin up a blockbuster trade for another star to run with Luka with their unexpected lotto pick and perhaps a future first in 2027. (Their 2029 first is already gone thanks to the Kyrie Irving trade.) Surely they have enough deadweight contracts to load into such a trade for the salary match.

The other aspect that makes this so interesting, of course, is that the Mavs suddenly seem to be in a race against time. They have a 24-year-old basketball prodigy on their team who could be a free agent in three years and whose frustration seems to be on the upswing. If you don’t think rival teams are already sniffing around, you must be new to this league.

Dallas’ offseason endgame seemed clear several weeks ago: Convey the pick to New York, put the 2024 and 2026 firsts into a trade along with their unwanted contracts and try to put a third star next to Luka and a re-signed Irving. The Mavs’ slump has added a new, interesting wrinkle to the proceedings, as well as the nagging deep thought: Could a team with two All-Star guards in their primes end up tanking the final two weeks?

https://theathletic.com/4350475/2023/03/27/wizards-blazers-nba-standings-mavericks-draft/
60/21/10

Return to Dallas Mavericks