ImageImageImage

Everything that's wrong with the Mavs

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Decision on Kyrie

Keep Kyrie for max contract (he won't stay unless it is max)
41%
Let Kyrie walk and swallow the loss early
59%

Total votes: 17

Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man
And1: 2,104

Everything that's wrong with the Mavs 

Post#1 » by Ni Da Ye » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:36 pm

I pretty much agree with everything mentioned in this video, especially how Kyrie and Luka don't elevate each other's game.

My stance is the same, time to cut the loss early despite how painful that is, we should let Kyrie walk. Otherwise Luka is leaving.
IQ_baller wrote:MJ never played against quality teams in the finals

IQ_baller wrote:Replace MJ with Jimmy and Bulls win the same amount of rings

Realgm quality posts, ladies and gentlemen.
Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man

Re: Everything that's wrong with the Mavs 

Post#2 » by Ni Da Ye » Mon Apr 3, 2023 3:42 pm

I also agree that's it is NOT Kidd's fault the team plays horrendous defense this year.

It is the entire roster who is not capable to play defense anymore.

Brunson and DFS who were on the roster last year are capable to play some effective D at least, and losing both of them have had a huge impact.

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,753

Post#3 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 3, 2023 6:55 pm

Is sign and trade a 3rd option? That seems to be most likely scenario. Unfortunately Mavs will not get a great return.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#4 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 7:01 pm

OMG, what a distorted reality... Brunson was one of the worst defender on the court last year :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway Kyrie Irving will sign an extension here, Luka likes him and he is one of the few reasons why Luka has not yet asked for a trade. Live with it :wink:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#5 » by basketballRob » Mon Apr 3, 2023 7:04 pm

The Mavs better lose the last 4 if their pick is only top 10 protected.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#6 » by arkuo » Mon Apr 3, 2023 7:06 pm

Brunson and D don't go hand in hand.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#7 » by Archx » Mon Apr 3, 2023 7:08 pm

Ni Da Ye wrote:I also agree that's it is NOT Kidd's fault the team plays horrendous defense this year.

I don't agree with this. Kidd is the one who, at the end of the day, creates OR approves offensive/defensive schemes. Obviusly he has assistant coaches to help him with that. But he's THE HEAD coach and if we can blame players, we sure can blame the coach who is visibly confused on the sidelines.

Ni Da Ye wrote:It is the entire roster who is not capable to play defense anymore.

This is somewhat true but keep in mind, Mavs replaced Burke, Boban and some others scrubs that played 0 minutes with Wood and they still couldn't figure things out how to make Wood more effective, even though he almost matched KP's production on less minutes.

Ni Da Ye wrote:Brunson and DFS who were on the roster last year are capable to play some effective D at least, and losing both of them have had a huge impact.

Agreed. Brunson was my 2nd favorite player when he was on the team and i always defended him even when people here wanted to trade him. He's top5 player in the league in charges drawn, he's was never afraid of the contact. He was not a great 1v1 defender but he was tough.
I am still a bit torn on DFS. Green showed insane promise early on but after the trade he kinda dissapeared. Again, it's puzzling what are they doing in practice sessions but players don't simply lose all their mojo over night.

All in all, i think there were significant missmanagements that happened this year. From bad roster construction to Kidd's inability to adapt to anything and all the way to Luka being so unhappy that he simply stopped carring. Cuban and all the way down to Luka, everyone need to shoulder some blame.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 7:12 pm

THJ is in the top5 for charges drawn this year but he can't guard a chair...
Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by Ni Da Ye » Mon Apr 3, 2023 7:49 pm

theBigLip wrote:Is sign and trade a 3rd option? That seems to be most likely scenario. Unfortunately Mavs will not get a great return.

That falls into the category of not keeping Kyrie. so the second option

fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#10 » by fuller4379 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 8:10 pm

A starting lineup including Luka, Kyrie, and THJ is a complete disaster on defense.
Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Ni Da Ye » Mon Apr 3, 2023 8:50 pm

If Cuban is really smart, he should make an earthquake type of change to FO and even the coaching staffs after Mavs miss the play in.

We cannot fix a mistake by repeating or prolonging the mistake. Let Kyrie go please the curse on this guy is real and he will come back and bite us deeper after receiving the max.

It's not that Kyrie has been bad. It's that he doesn't fit here.

Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#12 » by Absinthe » Mon Apr 3, 2023 9:04 pm

What is wrong with the Mavs? Fourth quarter execution and the inability to win close games. They’re 2-7 since the all star break in games decided by 4 points or less. Even if they were 5-4 they’d be a playoff team right now.

This is a combination of personnel, coaching, and the front office. Kidd struggles with line ups and adjustments. That’s on him. What’s not on him? In the off season, the front office thought that rolling the dice on Wood and signing McGee to a contract was going to solve their problems. It was a laughable solution. What’s even worse is that when they traded for Irving they saw their big man line up and still decided to roll with it. They have no choice but to address rebounding, rim protection, post scoring, and perimeter defense in the off season or we are going to be having this same discussion at this time next year.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#13 » by Archx » Mon Apr 3, 2023 9:26 pm

This is quite a spectacular graphic and opens up even more questions. I guess horrible clutch execution and no rebunding will tank your wins.

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 3, 2023 9:32 pm

Ni Da Ye wrote:If Cuban is really smart, he should make an earthquake type of change to FO and even the coaching staffs after Mavs miss the play in.

We cannot fix a mistake by repeating or prolonging the mistake. Let Kyrie go please the curse on this guy is real and he will come back and bite us deeper after receiving the max.

A future hall of fame point guard doesn't fit here? That's an interesting take.

Also, we already made a huge change in the front office, and coaching staff, but anybody with common sense knows things take time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#15 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon Apr 3, 2023 10:06 pm

Ni Da Ye wrote:If Cuban is really smart, he should make an earthquake type of change to FO and even the coaching staffs after Mavs miss the play in.

Changes to the FO? We all know it is really Cuban running the show. He is doing the same mistakes as always (paying the wrong guys - firing coaches too late - yes, Kidd was a success until he wasn't). The FO will not change - only the face. On that front I'm quiet happy with Nico as he seems to able to identify talents. I wonder who he would have drafted in the Green draft.

Luka looked best with either Jalen or Spence next to him. I don't see how he can't work with Ky. However, I think the reason it didn't work so far is because if two reasons: Zero size on defense (the 3/4 positions) and Luka's regression in the 2nd half of the season. Luka looked equally bad the first half last season before something clicked (Brunson lead us into the playoffs!). I think he is simply overplayed and needs time off to rediscover the joy and fire. I'm not even concerned over fat or not fat - love for the game. If he can't discover it all is just pointless.

In any case we have two picks in hand to address the size problem and are in dire need of a new coach with a clear vision. Ky has to be back. If he doesn't work out he will have suitors and is a big asset.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 10:10 pm

HMFFL wrote:

Also, we already made a huge change in the front office, and coaching staff, but anybody with common sense knows things take time.

A judgement after 10 RS games... Wow. Very smart.

Nico was not bad, probably his mistakes were Kidd decisions.

Kidd isn't a top level coach, Milwaukee and Lakers exps spoken for him.
In the second year his team always fallin down.
Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Ni Da Ye » Mon Apr 3, 2023 11:11 pm

HMFFL wrote:

Westbrook is a future HOF too, and he got thrown left and right A LOT for the same not fitting reason.

Yes we traded for a future HOF, then we dropped from 4th seed to 11th seed. I thought special player steps up A LOT when he is needed the most.

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,931

Post#18 » by zimpy27 » Tue Apr 4, 2023 12:50 am

1. Kyrie never elevated anyone's game, he's an offense unto himself and you must use him as that. Most effective use was on the Cavs when LeBron would orchestrate an offense early in the shot clock and if no high efficiency opportunity presented itself he'd kick it to Kyrie to make some magic happen. This would work very well on the Mavs with Luka and it's how he should be used.

2. Mavs issue is lack of rebounding, rim protection and big wing defenders. Totally fixable in an offseason where you have a top 10 pick and some contracts you won't lose sleep on being traded, check and check.

Shut this season down and focus on the defensive and rebounding holes in the offseason.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#19 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 4, 2023 1:18 am

Ni Da Ye wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

Westbrook is a future HOF too, and he got thrown left and right A LOT for the same not fitting reason.

Yes we traded for a future HOF, then we dropped from 4th seed to 11th seed. I thought special player steps up A LOT when he is needed the most.
I don't believe Kyrie is being used properly. However, we don't have much time left in the season, and our front office has a difficult decision to make this off-season. Then again, Kyrie may have an easy decision, and want out. We cannot expect to ever be success if we continue to cycle talent in and off the team.

This off-season I hoped for our focus to be on the frontcourt once we traded for Kyrie. However, if we don't retain him, we will have cap space, but I don't see many options for us.

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#20 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Apr 4, 2023 5:34 am

a prime SF/PF with that first rounder is probably what we grab and if we are smart we move an asset to get a second and take a chance on Zach Edey and maybe if we have any cap space to use we try and find another center that is a veteran and I would like that approach if Kyrie and Wood stay on. Kidd he was probably tanking on orders so I am not sure I blame him for this season. The MBT probably wanted to keep the pick to get something to stop the defensive BS we see happening.

Return to Dallas Mavericks