Tim Cato article on the state of the Mavericks

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,418

Tim Cato article on the state of the Mavericks 

Post#1 » by Mavrelous » Mon May 1, 2023 1:26 pm

https://theathletic.com/4474477/2023/05/01/kyrie-irving-dallas-mavericks-free-agency/?source=user_shared_article

Few nuggets:
The team’s primary offseason signings had been centers, but JaVale McGee, who team sources say had been prioritized by coach Jason Kidd, was benched eight games into the season.

JaVale McGee was Kidd's pick.

Maxi Kleber and McGee both showed age-related decline, although Dallas hopes that Kleber, 31, can bounce back with a full offseason to recover from midseason hamstring surgery.

I loved Maxi's performance in the PO, but failing to retain Brunson, Mavs should've kept their options open, that extension was a mistake, and one more piece of evidence for the short-sightedness of this FO.

Beyond that, Dallas could trade Hardaway — who the team explored moving in the past two seasons, team sources say — given his team-friendly deal that boosts his league-wide value.

The general tone of the article is that THJ is a positive value player, a sentiment that isn't shared on the trade board here.

If there’s any other glimmer of hope from the miserable season that was, it’s how clearly it exposed the team’s flaws, one team executive said in a late-season conversation. That another season, where the team had been luckier, might not have sparked such conviction in meaningful change.

“I saw this coming a long time ago,” one former team employee said, “but I didn’t expect it to be this bad.”

In general, a small controversy arised about Giannis comments of what constitutes as a failure, Mavs last season was an obvious failure, a massive one, from what it looks like, no one will pay the price for this failure.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Re: Tim Cato article on the state of the Mavericks 

Post#2 » by daoneandonly » Mon May 1, 2023 2:21 pm

It is a sad state, the McGee signing was nonsensical. Bruce Brown was right there for around that price and filled a position of need as well.

Its like Kidd & Nico felt oh if Looney didnt dominate us in the paint we would have gone to the Finals, insert McGee. Thinking Wood could replace Brunson, idotic

Not to mention, the team was better ebcause THJ was out.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#3 » by fuller4379 » Mon May 1, 2023 3:10 pm

Going from the conference finals to missing the playoffs was a complete failure. The Kyrie Irving trade was the nail in the coffin in this season. The Irving trade is also going to make it difficult for the Mavericks to rebuild. They are almost forced to resign him.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#4 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon May 1, 2023 3:55 pm

A franchise leading by a low BBIQ owner and a shoe seller like GM.

Irving trade was good (if he wants play here) but the roster needed more than 1 move.

The bigs situation is putrid, if they continue to think that a role player like Maxi Kleber is the solution of our problems we are done.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#5 » by arkuo » Mon May 1, 2023 4:06 pm

daoneandonly wrote:It is a sad state, the McGee signing was nonsensical. Bruce Brown was right there for around that price and filled a position of need as well.

Its like Kidd & Nico felt oh if Looney didnt dominate us in the paint we would have gone to the Finals, insert McGee. Thinking Wood could replace Brunson, idotic

Not to mention, the team was better ebcause THJ was out.

To be fair, you need Bruce Brown to actually want to move to Dallas for you to be able to sign him. It was possible that he viewed Denver as a better prospect to go further. Its a two way street with free agents.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#6 » by arkuo » Mon May 1, 2023 4:12 pm

fuller4379 wrote:Going from the conference finals to missing the playoffs was a complete failure. The Kyrie Irving trade was the nail in the coffin in this season. The Irving trade is also going to make it difficult for the Mavericks to rebuild. They are almost forced to resign him.

I think Dallas was going on a rebuild anyway with Dinwiddie expiring the same time as Bullock and Bertans. Let's not overplay that hand and think these guys (including THJ) would miraculously be long term pieces. These guys were trash in their own right too. Now the rebuild schedule would depend on Kyrie now. If he re-signs, the rebuild would be centered around him and Luka at the same time. If he feels his best interest is somewhere else, then you speed up your supposed rebuild. Instead of waiting for Dinwiddie, Bertans, Powell, and Bullock to expire in 2024, you can get started as early as this summer. Fellas, I'd hate missing the playoffs as much as you do. But to fix this god damn **** show sometimes you need a kick in the butt. This for sure woke people up that's what it is. Getting past the first round would just mean Cuban re-signing everyone back thinking they're one vet min piece away every season. You dont want that.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,499

Post#7 » by Maverick41 » Mon May 1, 2023 10:13 pm

arkuo wrote:To be fair, you need Bruce Brown to actually want to move to Dallas for you to be able to sign him. It was possible that he viewed Denver as a better prospect to go further. Its a two way street with free agents.

To be fair, DAL didn't even try. They well all in with McGee within seconds after free agency opened.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#8 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue May 2, 2023 12:18 am

McGee was okay he just never did things well enough to make the team want to change their tank plans which I contend started almost as soon as the season started. They played to me as if they were trying to lose early on. I think losing Brunson got to their head and tank was the first thought they had as a way to solve that situation.

To rebuild we need to find 2 centers and a SF/PF and a PF/C

Naz Reid PF/C and Poeltl at C fill 2 of those spots with vets

The draft can get 2 more

1. the best 6'9 guy that is available at SF/PF and

2. 1 extra pick we acquire for use in the second early on they need a trade to find a pick for drafting Zach Edey because he is at least worth the rookie salary he makes to entertain us with 15 to 20 minutes of decent rebounding and defense plus his inside scoring success that we never see around here is a nice change of pace and makes teams have matchup problems.

Finally you got 2 expiring contracts to use at the TDL to fix anything that still needs fixing.

Whether or not Kyrie stays or he goes we got a lot of decent moves to make if the FO is not totally stupid.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#9 » by arkuo » Tue May 2, 2023 6:24 am

Maverick41 wrote:
arkuo wrote:To be fair, you need Bruce Brown to actually want to move to Dallas for you to be able to sign him. It was possible that he viewed Denver as a better prospect to go further. Its a two way street with free agents.

To be fair, DAL didn't even try. They well all in with McGee within seconds after free agency opened.

It was a different time. Back then you had DFS, Bullock and Green on the roster. Obviously the need for Bruce Brown just arised when they traded DFS away last February. With DFS and Bullock on the roster, calling the new guy or inviting him to come to Dallas to play behind DFS and Bullock wasn't going to give you a nice response even if you called him seconds into free agency. The Mcgee signing was another disaster altogether. Wished they could have went with a different route with that too.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#10 » by arkuo » Tue May 2, 2023 6:27 am

The bottom line here is Cuban needs to hire better professionals to run the show. I've seen a lot of companies and his is typical with people just going through the motions and doing things out of compliance rather than diligence. Hence the results you're getting. You need sharper individuals running the show and not just guys who just go from paycheck to paycheck doing the bare minimum required for the job.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,499

Post#11 » by Maverick41 » Tue May 2, 2023 7:01 am

arkuo wrote:It was a different time. Back then you had DFS, Bullock and Green on the roster. Obviously the need for Bruce Brown just arised when they traded DFS away last February. With DFS and Bullock on the roster, calling the new guy or inviting him to come to Dallas to play behind DFS and Bullock wasn't going to give you a nice response even if you called him seconds into free agency. The Mcgee signing was another disaster altogether. Wished they could have went with a different route with that too.

I know you're trying to rationalize it but really there's no way around it. Nico, Cuban and Kidd messed up. The need for someone like Brown isn't new or something that only became a need after the TDL. It's not like Denver had some silver platter opportunity for him. He literally has no chance to start over Murray, KCP or MPJ unless they are injured. On the otherhand, he would have likely slotted in as the starting 2 guard on the Mavs and allowed Dinwiddie to go back to his bench role. An underrated part of his game is that he can handle the ball pretty well and often has played backup PG on DEN.

Perhaps I'm just being salty again. I'm one of the few here that was vehement that the McGee's signing was bad back then so it tends to get my blood boiling. I know it's just the TMLE but Nico has to hit on these few opportunities to improve our roster. Even if it isn't a very solid guy like Brown, it has to at least be someone that is an actual rotation player. McGee is not that and the fact that he got 3 years is asinine. Hopefully we have better results in free agency this coming offseason.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,418

Post#12 » by Mavrelous » Tue May 2, 2023 8:55 am

The whole off season was a catastrophe:
1. Thinking McGee can change anything, when he's a guy constantly getting benched in the PO, with the Suns it was at the expense of Bismack Biombo, and not targeting Rubio or Brown instead.
2. Thinking no additional ball handler is needed, Luka was run to the ground, and it should've been apparent, they woke up just before tip off, and signed Campazzo, Jason Kidd played him off ball with Luka, and with Powell/McGee on the floor, that was painful to watch, this is bizzaro stuff from NBA coach to do.
3. Wasting Wood talents away.

These aren't mistakes, this is dysfunctional FO AND coaching staff, and the worse part, while Kidd displays idiocy with him rotations, his press conferences confirm the diagnosis, I don't like blaming coaches, 99.9% of the time they know much more than the fans do, in his case, I think it's the exception.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#13 » by Mr B » Tue May 2, 2023 4:43 pm

arkuo wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:Going from the conference finals to missing the playoffs was a complete failure. The Kyrie Irving trade was the nail in the coffin in this season. The Irving trade is also going to make it difficult for the Mavericks to rebuild. They are almost forced to resign him.

I think Dallas was going on a rebuild anyway with Dinwiddie expiring the same time as Bullock and Bertans. Let's not overplay that hand and think these guys (including THJ) would miraculously be long term pieces. These guys were trash in their own right too. Now the rebuild schedule would depend on Kyrie now. If he re-signs, the rebuild would be centered around him and Luka at the same time. If he feels his best interest is somewhere else, then you speed up your supposed rebuild. Instead of waiting for Dinwiddie, Bertans, Powell, and Bullock to expire in 2024, you can get started as early as this summer. Fellas, I'd hate missing the playoffs as much as you do. But to fix this god damn **** show sometimes you need a kick in the butt. This for sure woke people up that's what it is. Getting past the first round would just mean Cuban re-signing everyone back thinking they're one vet min piece away every season. You dont want that.

I would agree that the rebuild was going to happen anyways but I think they were expecting it to happen in 2025 not now. And it would be by choice not by bad team building.

And I say this kind of being funny but I’m also serious, go get Boban back. Something about that guy’s personality brings harmony in a locker room. He will likely never play but just having him around seems to help every locker room he’s been in.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Tue May 2, 2023 6:29 pm

The frontcourt needs updating. it's the glaring problem even if Kyrie doesn't return. However, I do hope he is extended, because we must stop letting talent leave. Kyrie is a future hall of famer regardless what people think about him.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#15 » by jpengland » Thu May 4, 2023 4:36 pm

How Jason Kidd is still employed is beyond me.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#16 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 4, 2023 5:00 pm

jpengland wrote:How Jason Kidd is still employed is beyond me.

My only guess is his ties to Dirk
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#17 » by fuller4379 » Thu May 4, 2023 5:46 pm

He points to the Larry O'Brien Trophy behind Cuban and Kidd reminds Cuban that he helped Mark win that beauty.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#18 » by Archx » Thu May 4, 2023 5:52 pm

daoneandonly wrote:

A series of bad decisions since Cuban surrounded himself with friends only. Nico is the only guy i had faith in at the start but apparently Cuban is looking over his shoulders like a hawk.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#19 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 4, 2023 5:58 pm

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

A series of bad decisions since Cuban surrounded himself with friends only. Nico is the only guy i had faith in at the start but apparently Cuban is looking over his shoulders like a hawk.

To me Nico should be the first to go. Two terrible tardes (KP to Wash and Irving here) and a trade that made no significant change here other than costing us a pick with Wood. The guy has proven to be inept basketball wise
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#20 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu May 4, 2023 6:21 pm

Harrison is a noob... Hire this kind of GM in Luka prime was just a stupid move by a stupid owner.

Return to Dallas Mavericks