ImageImageImage

So... what are we going to do with the 10th pick?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,250

So... what are we going to do with the 10th pick? 

Post#1 » by MrGoat » Mon May 22, 2023 10:13 pm

Trade it? For who or what?

Or maybe even keep it, but then draft who?
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Re: So... what are we going to do with the 10th pick? 

Post#2 » by SOUNDCHASER » Mon May 22, 2023 11:54 pm

We could trade down to 21/22/51 and take Edey and Vukcevic. or Edey and Lively but I think Vuk is a better prospect to take since he hits 37% of his 3 pointers. I would then try to get certain free agents like NAZ and DIOP out of SAN. Maybe a vet min for YUTA and 2ways for some undrafted guys Like Juan Nunez or Mojave King if not using the 51st pick we get from the nets on one of them.

Edey was at the NBA combine and proved his agility was equal to that of several top tier prospects some of whom will be taken in the first round possibly top 10.

Given this fact there is no sane reason not to invest in this option since center is the one area where we need to improve desperately.

Edey is a starting center waiting to happen and Vukcevic is a stretch 4 that has real center size at 6'11.25"

If you fail to recognize this move as being our best option I would recommend a few supplements that you might need to take in order to help with your mental issues.

Certainly anyone suggesting guys who are 6'7 or 6'8 or smaller with our best picks I would advise you to stop doing drugs as well.

Luka Irving Nunez
Hardy Green THJ
Diop Yuta Bullock Holiday Lawson Pinson
VUK NAZ KLEBER BERTANS
ZACH NAZ VUK MCGEE KLEBER
Rand10
Starter
And1: 39

Post#3 » by Rand10 » Tue May 23, 2023 1:22 am

It will be traded along with Hardy for OG. If not that, they will trade down for DFS and Brooklyn's 1st rounders. What I don't think they will do is trade the pick for an overpriced center or wait for a rookie to develop.
colangelo wrote:Nowitzki walk in with Maytricks and says welcome to horse team and championship time.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue May 23, 2023 1:54 am

A trade for an early 2nd or 2 could probably acquire Zach and or Vukcevic so it makes sense to get a couple of 2nds and then try to use the 10th pick on something else but only if we do have the other trade in hand.

DFS coming back along with the swap for the BKN picks for 10 would be nicer as well but then you need to send someone like Bullock as well for matching purposes.

You can probably drop down to get both Edey and Vukcevic with just one of the 2 picks dropping down from 22 or 21 and still use one of those picks to grab Lively or Gregory Jackson then take Edey and Vuk with another 2 picks you get in dropping down from 21 or 22.

That would be great really because pick #10 could turn into DFS Gregory Jackson Zach and Tristan and the 2 bigs could end up developing into your starting center and PF for years. Gregory Jackson is 6'8.25 as I recall from the combine results same as Taylor Hendricks and Emoni Bates. He could be there at 21 and used as a SF or PF. So 4 players 2 PF/SF types a PF/C and then a 5. I posted this as an option with BKN in another post but suggested an additional option to include Green if they sent back Cameron Johnson.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#5 » by Mr B » Tue May 23, 2023 1:54 am

I think with the rumor that the Mavs and Kyrie had a handshake deal that the Mavs would sign Kyrie to a max contract at a 3+1 deal. It’s pretty much a given that they will trade the pick. Now can they make the right deal, that’s the question.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue May 23, 2023 2:12 am

Trade 10 to BKN when they give us DFS, 21 and 22. Then send 22 to Indiana for 29 and 32 and you use those 2 picks to add Edey and Vukcevic. Use 21 for either Lively or Gregory Jackson to solidify our defense whichever is there at 21.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Wed May 24, 2023 9:45 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Trade 10 to BKN when they give us DFS, 21 and 22. Then send 22 to Indiana for 29 and 32 and you use those 2 picks to add Edey and Vukcevic. Use 21 for either Lively or Gregory Jackson to solidify our defense whichever is there at 21.
That's not enough return for us for #10. It would take more than 21, 22, and DFS.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#8 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed May 24, 2023 10:43 am

I don't know why Brooklyn would do this, but could the Mavs offer Brooklyn anything good enough for them to deal Mikal Bridges?

Bridges is a legit star in this league. Two way player. PG3 in his prime. You look at his #s with the Nets last year, and they were very impressive. He's not just an All Star next year. He's on the 3rd team All NBA team next season, maybe 2nd or 1st team.

I'm thinking if the Mavs offered #10, Hardy, Green, the '27 1st rounder unprotected, another future 1st round pick, and the Mavs were willing to take on Ben Simmons contract, the Nets might be forced to listen to that offer. You could probably get them to throw in DFS into the package too. Maybe even Claxton.

You're basically mortgaging off your entire future, but you add one of the best defensive perimeter players in the league (who can also score). Forget about Simmons. Who knows if he'd even bother to show to practice. You have Luka, Kyrie, Mikal, that's a great 3-headed monster. You fill that out with DFS, Wood, Claxton, Kleber and the rest of the roster doesn't matter as much. Maybe you can hold onto Bullock or sign Yuta or Seth Curry. You'd probably have to lose THJ & Bertans to make the salaries work. Try to flip McGee for Claxton. Throw in a 2nd round pick if necessary. The back end of the roster doesn't change the dynamic as much.

The only reason I can think Brooklyn would do it is if they want to try their luck in free agency again and they're looking to create a lot of cap space. They do this deal and they essentially have a clean slate for the 2024 free agency class + draft assets and Cam Johnson, Jaden Hardy, Josh Green, Cam Thomas, whoever they take at #10 #21 and #22 in this draft. They'd have to believe that Mikal Bridges doesn't get them to a Finals on his own, and they go the OKC route with a pool of young players & draft assets.

If Mikal Bridges isn't on the table, then taking Jaden Hardy off the table and making a deal for Cameron Johnson and Nic Claxton fills 2 of the Mavs needs. I think Mikal makes the Mavs automatic title contenders for the next 5 years, and Cameron Johnson & Nic Claxton just make the Mavs a top 4 team in the West for the next 2 seasons. Big difference.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#9 » by Apz » Thu May 25, 2023 8:12 pm

If anyone is on the board that mavs want they take the player. Its pretty much a must with the new cba to have. Unless ofc u get blown away by an offer, but we still need those cheaper players so cant include guys like hardy or green. And by blown away i mean really blown away, not some 30 year old roleplayer and a pick in the 20s. Luka is 24, he want to see a future for mavs, not some 30+ players that he got nothing in common with that might have 1 year left in the tank
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 683

Post#10 » by BliscoSantos » Thu May 25, 2023 9:22 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:We could trade down to 21/22/51 and take Edey and Vukcevic. or Edey and Lively but I think Vuk is a better prospect to take since he hits 37% of his 3 pointers. I would then try to get certain free agents like NAZ and DIOP out of SAN. Maybe a vet min for YUTA and 2ways for some undrafted guys Like Juan Nunez or Mojave King if not using the 51st pick we get from the nets on one of them.

Edey was at the NBA combine and proved his agility was equal to that of several top tier prospects some of whom will be taken in the first round possibly top 10.

Given this fact there is no sane reason not to invest in this option since center is the one area where we need to improve desperately.

Edey is a starting center waiting to happen and Vukcevic is a stretch 4 that has real center size at 6'11.25"

If you fail to recognize this move as being our best option I would recommend a few supplements that you might need to take in order to help with your mental issues.

Certainly anyone suggesting guys who are 6'7 or 6'8 or smaller with our best picks I would advise you to stop doing drugs as well.

Luka Irving Nunez
Hardy Green THJ
VUK NAZ KLEBER BERTANS

I doubt Edey ,will be more than a 15 min a Player in the NBA, Vukčevič Will have a hard time getting to the NBA(he can't get playing time even in Europe)...unless by some miracle this two guys develop into Quality Players ,the Mavs better draft someone who can,,,(who has better odda) with the 10th pick or trade the pick for someone valuable(of use)
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#11 » by ejs78 » Thu May 25, 2023 9:28 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:We could trade down to 21/22/51 and take Edey and Vukcevic. or Edey and Lively but I think Vuk is a better prospect to take since he hits 37% of his 3 pointers. I would then try to get certain free agents like NAZ and DIOP out of SAN. Maybe a vet min for YUTA and 2ways for some undrafted guys Like Juan Nunez or Mojave King if not using the 51st pick we get from the nets on one of them.

Luka Irving Nunez
Hardy Green THJ
VUK NAZ KLEBER BERTANS

I doubt Edey ,will be more than a 15 min a Player in the NBA, Vukčevič Will have a hard time getting to the NBA(he can't get playing time even in Europe)...unless by some miracle this two guys develop into Quality Players ,the Mavs better draft someone who can,,,(who has better odda) with the 10th pick or trade the pick for someone valuable(of use)

I agree Edey isnt going to see much floor time in the NBA and he's already thinking about going back to Perdue cuz he knows this.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri May 26, 2023 4:08 am

you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you cannot pick your friends nose and since I do not know what goes on inside Cubans knows I do not want to get anywhere close to that gnosis.

just assume they are incapable of picking anyone a sane intelligent person would sign and draft and then pull the names out of a hat and you will be as close to being correct as anyone else.

Now I would advise the MBT to trade down with BKN and get DFS back and their 3 draft picks so we can draft Lively or Jackson at 21 with a preference for Lively then at 29 and 32 both Zach Edey and Tristan Vukcevic. Actually I would start off trying to grab Cameron Johnson at first instead of DFS. and for that alone I would give them a future 1st and Bullocks expiring.

Then at 51 maybe I would snag a surprise from the combine or Juan Nunez to give our Europeans another drinking buddy to mess with and that final pick would depend on who drops down that low.

Free agent moves would be to add 2 wings of a 6'8" size with Kieta Bates Diop and Yuta Watanabe and then I would try to sign 6'9" Naz Reid.

Assets for trades at the TDL Bertans Kleber THJ and McGee test your additions and determine what they can become to have an idea on what we should use the assets for in order to make another trade so we can get a player who fills a hole where we need more depth.

Roster would then look like this
5: Zach Edey 7'3.25", (??Dereck Lively 7'1 or if he is not there then we draft Greg Jackson a 6'8.25" PF 18 year old may grow moreand he is a PF/SF ) McGee 7'0"
4: Naz Reid 6'9" Tristan Vukcevic 6'11.25" if Lively is not there then we can probably grab Gregory Jackson at 6'8.25" and use him as a PF while Tristan is able to play C and we can use Tristan at PF while we use Jackson at SF because both are very versatile and able to play multiple positions. Kleber, Bertans
3. DFS, Kieta Bates Diop, Yuta Watanabe all are versatile enough to also play PF but Watanabe is a little skinny
2. Irving, Green, THJ (2 way Lawson)
1. Luka, Hardy, (2 ways Wright and Juan Nunez)

18 players.
1. 2 vets 2 guys on two ways
2. 3 vets 1 two way contract
3. 3 vets
4. 4 total 1 rookie 3 vets
5. 3 total 2 rookies 1 vet

If Wood starts to look like he is going to be unsigned by another team and available to resign then I might find it tough to decide who to cut out of my plans above.

Wood is too good to let go if it turns out he is cheap enough to keep because we could always trade him to another team for help at an area of greater need. Maybe I would put Tristan on the 2 way deal temporarily till Bertans expiring is gone and cut Wright.

Lawson is slated to replace THJ after he is traded in a package deal with Bertans so we will get back a decent player worth approximately $34 MM. Nunez is going to have to prove he is worth keeping ahead of Wright but I think he should get that gig.

Return to Dallas Mavericks